PDA

View Full Version : CDROM trouble

Anonymous
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:45 PM
For some reason, my CDROM has stopped recognizing CDs of any kind. It still shows up in My Computer, and it always pops back up in there whenever I try to uninstall/reinstall it. Anybody know what the problem is before I email the manufacturer?

FartinMowler
Apr 21st, 2004, 08:47 AM
I was at Walmart the other day and saw CD roms for $20 so unless its an expensive re-writable I would just chuck it.

AChimp
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Check the cables for lose connections, and if it still doesn't work, I'd just buy a new one like Fartin said.

It's not really worth it to demand a new one through warranty or whatever because you have to e-mail them over in Asia and wait for them to translate your e-mail, then you get some broken English thing sent back to you and you're all like, WTF? Then they finally mail you a voucher for a new one 10 weeks later and in the mean time you're sitting with a broken CD-ROM that you can't use. :(

whoreable
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:00 PM
can you boot from a windows cd?

Anonymous
Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:16 AM
If there's any CD in it, it just pauses during the "detecting IDE drives" part of booting up until I remove the CD.

AChimp
Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:42 AM
bROKEN. :(

Anonymous
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Terrific. So tell me, when I'm putting a new one in, do I just uninstall the old drive, turn off the PC, and switch 'em, or is there more to it?

whoreable
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:30 PM
make sure the jumpers on the drives are boths et to the same setting

Ghost of Fraiser
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:46 PM
http://www.novirginsallowed.com/tiddlywinsk/gangsta2.gif

DamnthatDavid
Apr 27th, 2004, 03:00 AM
You can, in theory, place any hardware in without reinstalling software, they all use the game damn components, and will work at a default level. But they will not run at best performance. Just install the new drivers, it should also, in theory, install over the old ones, erasing the old for the new.

Pub Lover
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:47 PM
WTF David? :rolleyes

For some reason, my CDROM has stopped recognizing CDs of any kind.
Did you try cleaning the lens?

AChimp
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Drivers for a CD-ROM in these days? I LOL. :posh