PDA

View Full Version : evanescence

Anonymous
Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:16 AM
I cannot stop listening to that "bring me to life" song. The "lies" one too. Some of the songs are a bit too slow and moopy for me, but the energetic ones are great. There is an old? article I found in which they said they would be in the category "goth-electronica". I don't get that at all, and they shouldn't insult themselves like that

Mockery
Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:19 AM
Maybe they dress goth or somethin?

They shove pudding pops in their asses for all I care, just as long as they keep writing good music like this. :love

Zero Signal
Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
You'll hate me for this, but "Bring Me To Life" sounds like a mellower Linkin Park with average (not great) female vocals. I need to get other songs for a more refined opinion, but that's my first impression after listening to it some more. Maybe, as Bill would say, it'll grow on me. :/

Mockery
Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:22 PM
I don't think they sound anything alike... perhaps it's that guest vocalist guy who raps a little bit on that song that makes you think that. Anyway, yeah download more of their songs. I love the music, and there's nothing "average" about her vocals from what I've heard so far.

Malevolent
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:56 AM
The more I listen to Evanescence, the more I love 'em, even if they are from Little Rock, Arkansas. They're doing a show in Hartford, CT on February 21st and I'm strongly considering going.

Mockery
Feb 10th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Yep, even I'd go see them. I'm sure it'd be amusing to see all the xtians rocking out to them. :lol

Protoclown
Feb 10th, 2003, 05:53 PM
OMG ARE THEY SATANIC? :eek :lol

Anonymous
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:04 AM
The more I listen to Evanescence, the more I love 'em, even if they are from Little Rock, Arkansas. They're doing a show in Hartford, CT on February 21st and I'm strongly considering going.

fook. too bad we don't live in ct anymore or we coulda met up at it

Carnivore
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:24 AM
You live in the capital of the Confederacy :lol

I think it may already be sold out, anyway :(

"5 BANDS FOR 5 BUCKS #4 - EVANESCENCE, AMERICAN HI-FI, BREAKING BENJAMIN, TROUBLE IS, AND GROVER DILL
Friday February 21
Webster Theatre, Hartford"

James
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:00 AM
I can't find a decent copy of "Bring Me to Life" on Kazaa. They all have these wierd little blips and fadeouts in them. :/

But from what I've heard, it sounds very good. Zero Signal just doesn't know what he's talking about (what else is new?).

Zero Signal
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM
But from what I've heard, it sounds very good. Zero Signal just doesn't know what he's talking about (what else is new?).Hurray for your opinion. I don't share it. Get over it, crybaby.

James
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM
There's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw it. :lol

BulletCatcher
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:04 AM
I agree with Zero Signal. Take out Linkin Park's male vocals and throw in female vocals and you have Evanesence (sp?)

Supposedly, one of Living Sacrifice's guitarists plays drums for this band. That's enough to perk my interest to dig deeper. I imagine their hit song will sound nothing like their other stuff.

Mockery
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:39 AM
I imagine their hit song will sound nothing like their other stuff.

Their "hit" song has some guest vocalist guy in it who sorta raps in the background during the chorus. I'm glad he's not on any of their other stuff. You can actually get an older version of the song without his rapping on it. Plenty of their stuff is available on WinMX. I've gotten over 20 of their songs and there's some damned good ones in the mix.

James
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:14 AM
I really don't see any similarities in musical style between them and Linkin Park, other than they both use instruments.

Anyway, Mock. Do you have a clear version of "Bring Me To Life?" The only ones I can get either sound like they were taped by holding a recorder to the radio, or they have these wierd cutouts during the song.

Edit: I finally got my hands on a decent qaulity mp3 that doesn't have wierd noises in it. Yay me. Unfortunately, I have yet to be so successful with any other track. I am totally buying this album when it comes out, but I don't wanna wait a month. :(

Anyway, anyone who said that they sound like Linkin Park NEEDS to hear these other tracks. To me (and this in no way does the band justice), they sound like if Poe did something a little harder.

Seriously, if you listen to something like "Imaginary" or "Everybody's Fool," you will realize that they are nothing like Linkin Park once and for all.

James
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Edits don't bump posts? I didn't know that. OK, Zero Signal, I apologize for commenting on your triple posting in the Gaming Forum.

distance
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:12 PM
they're horrible. they're absolutely nothing original or interesting.
the music is nothing innovative or interesting.
the guy yelling out stuff in the background needs to be shot.
the lyrics are horrible. they're worse than trent reznor lyrics.

the only thing that makes them any different from the other new mainstream crap that sounds like that is that they have a female singer.

when i first heard it, i heard the lyrics at the begining and i was like.. i have to listen to this to found out who this is.. this is horrible. then the rest of the band kicked in and i couldn't help but start to laugh. it took a lot of times of me hearing it on the radio to actually find out who the hell it was and what the name of the song was.

unfortunately, i don't have a cd player in any of my vehicles and i am on the road a lot, therefore i am stuck listening to absolute crap a lot of times. at worst, i turn it to 880AM and listen to traffic reports from NYC (which is 300 miles away) when i can no longer stand the crap on fm radio and everything else on am is crap.

Black Flag
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:34 AM
I finally heard some song by them...and I must say after all the build up on this board...it was pretty lame.

Generator86
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:47 AM
Amy Lee's voice floored me, personally. Then again, I've always had a weak spot for female vocalists.

The music isn't anything to write home about, but she makes the band incredible.

P.S. I saw the video for "Bring Me To Life" yesterday on MuchMusic, and god-damn, that's pathetic. Of course, the only video I've seen in the last year that I liked was Linkin Park's CG with the murdering robots. I'd just hit 'mute' whenever it came on.

Skulhedface
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:52 AM
Say what you will, but Amy Lee's looks and voice have me completely floored :love

I have the original version of their song without the goofy fuck rapping on it (something tells me I've figured out who Feelevil is!) and I simply *can't* get tired of listening to it.

Generator86
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:49 AM
Honestly, I had no idea what she looked like when I first heard them. I figured that she was a lot older. After I saw her though... :love .

Really, I don't think of myself as totally shallow.

Skulhedface
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:29 PM
Same here, until I saw them at the Mardi Gras fair.

That, and my mom (used to) work at a record store and so she had access to all sorts of little evanescence posters and such, when that store closed down I got 'em all.. and a shitload of stuff from other decent bands too.

distance
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:18 PM
http://www.etonline.com/reuters/N16363.htm

Cap'n Crunch
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
She is goth, she dresses all black and says she is goth.

Mockery
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evanescence member Ben Moody was quoted recently in Entertainment Weekly as saying, "We're actually high on the Christian charts, and I'm like, What the f--- are we even doing there?"

See, I hate their guitarist. He's so full of shit. He's a total jesus freak whether he admits it or not. He even interviewed with a magazine a while ago and said, "The message we as a band want to convey more than anything is simple — God is love."

But Amy is right... if any Christian store actually read the bands lyrics, they probably wouldn't carry the CD. Regardless, Ben Moody will always be a tool.

Skulhedface
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:25 PM
Ya know RoG, that quote read a little bit like almost every other interview they do with P.O.D.

Why Guitar World wastes such precious space... will be forever beyond me. Maybe I can write a letter to P.O.D, and they can ask God and he'll give me the answer.

NIGhtMAre
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:44 PM
They are ok. Not really that good.

liquidstatik
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:19 PM
I like Evanescence :/ Alot of the songs on the CD are a little slow, but the lyrics kinda make up for it. And the whole thing about them being gothic is getting confusing. I read an interview somewhere(cant remember where :() with Amy Lee, and she mentioned that alot of the band members were christians. And in other interviews she says they are gothic. :/ Christian or gothic, they're still pretty good. :)

Ronnie Raygun
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:03 PM
THIS BAND SUCKS BEYOND BELIEF!

Carnivore
Apr 29th, 2003, 08:16 PM
I'm thrilled that you dislike them considering you're wrong about everything!

theapportioner
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Heh. Gotta say Ronnie does have a kind of sophisticated taste in music. Evanescence is enjoyable, but I probably won't keep that CD around long-term.

Anonymous
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:40 PM
I don't think they suck, but they aren't great either. They are a decent pop band
but their album cover and that suck ass video they released didn't help

Helm
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Saw the video. Maybe if I was a bit more impressionable I'd stand for that sort of thing, but as it is, it seemed pretty bland.

Mockery
Apr 30th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Aye, nothing happens. It's just them singing on a building with some cheap effects. More of a Daredevil movie promo than a music video.

tenno
Apr 30th, 2003, 05:14 AM
i wasnt blown away by these guys......i dunno, I like Snake River COnspiracy and sister soliel and after hearing them, evanescence just doesnt do it for me.

They're the Linkin Park of goth for me

Zero Signal
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:40 AM
I don't think they suck, but they aren't great either. They are a decent pop band
but their album cover and that suck ass video they released didn't help
I agree. I think they are decent for what they are; a pseudo pop rock band. Their songs just don't seem to have much originality to them. That's not to say they are written badly or not, but there is certainly less going on that they would have you believe.

I do not think her voice is as amazing as some here would suggest. It is passable at best, and at worst no better than anything I've heard from Spears, etc. When she starts singing operatically like Tarja from Nightwish, then call me. Otherwise, she is your average girl rock singer.

I will rarely say a band sucks unless I truly think that there is just nothing going on talent-wise or otherwise. I never say a band sucks just because I do not like their music. Some people do not like a lot of the metal that I listen to, especially the power metal like Sonata Arctica, Iron Savior, Blind Guardian or Symphony X. Or even metal like Cradle of Filth who, sorry guys, can write lyrical circles around most of the bands out there. But to say that they suck just because you don't like them? That's extremely ignorant. I don't like a lot of punk and hard core, but I do acknowledge that many have talent in either their lyrical ability or their playing ability; sometimes both.

Helm
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Okay, maybe suddenly the pop definition of goth has changed, but if gothic still has something to do with Bauhaus, Fields of The Nephilim and Cassandra Complex, as opposed to Him, 69 candles and Within Temptation, then there's absolutely nothing goth about this band. It's yet another angsty silly quasi-metal band. A female singer and lyrics about how much life sucks does not fit the goth profile that much.

Mock: Last night, I saw Anathema's early 'Mine is yours to drown in' video again. It epitomizes what a metal video should be about. There's bandmember fights, bulletbelts, wristbands, sunsets, silly \m/ poses metallic chthulhu mosters getting kicked in the tentacles, and a very very filthy Darren White grunting about how he is entering my soul.

What other video can top that? Perfect.

Zero: To say however, that a band like COF sucks because the genre combinations, stylistical approach and attitude they've attempted neither convinces you, or at all impresses you is a very viable position. It is also mine.

Zero Signal
Apr 30th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Zero: To say however, that a band like COF sucks because the genre combinations, stylistical approach and attitude they've attempted neither convinces you, or at all impresses you is a very viable position. It is also mine.
At least you validate your opinion with a concise explanation of why you think that. Most people just say a band sucks with no reason given. The only metal that i really do not care more is black metal like Immortal, Satyricon, etc.; just cannot get into it. The music is mostly great, but the screeching vocals generally turn me off. I take in on a case by case basis though. There are some black metal bands that I do like; Emperor is one example.

Helm
Apr 30th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I only like Ulver, In The Woods... and Arcturus in black metal. I think you'd like those bands too, but maybe you should steer clear from Ulver's first two, "Bergtatt" and "Nattens Madrigal" and go straight to "Themes From William Blakes'...", as well as ignoring In The Woods... "HEart of the Ages". The vocals are very extreme there.

Ronnie Raygun
May 4th, 2003, 10:48 AM
There is nothing deep about this band. I doubt they even write there own songs.

Sethomas
Jun 11th, 2003, 01:04 AM
I enjoy them. Overall, the album's pretty weak, though. I copied it from a cousin.

Grazzt
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:19 AM
I know nothing about this group, but this situation reminds me of how I thought that Shadows Fall were "Blink 182 gone thrash" because the singer sounded like the dickhead from Blink 182 on one song. What I'm trying to say is that give a band a few listens before dismissing them.