PDA

View Full Version : Stupid fads

Bennett
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Growing up when we did (judging by other entries) we must have been subject to some of the lamest fads.

Here's a couple to get things started:
Charm chains/bracelets: plastic chains that you clip little plastic items on i.e. little toilets, skateboards, skeletons, a frying pan with an egg in it... anything basically.

Snap bracelets: I'm not sure what these were made of, but they were covered with fabric w/some kind of design on it (probably neon) and you slapped it on your wrist and it would wrap around. There was a great rumor going around that they were made of metal (perhaps they are), and that a bunch of kids had died by accidentally slitting their wrists.

Sketch33
Feb 28th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Here's a fad I recall. When people started wearing the Michael Jackson 'Thriller' jackets. One of the guys I was at high school with even started wearing a single glove. And if I recall right, he was white.

Zbu Manowar
Mar 1st, 2003, 09:46 AM
Stupidest fad still is the whole 'wear my pants like a rapper' deal where they either:

--wore them backwards like Kris Kross, or
--pulled them down and tucked in their shirt.

Seriously, when you do piddly shit for a fad, it's not such a bad thing. But when you look like you can't dress yourself because your nurse was off snorting a line, then you look like the biggest retard.

Skulhedface
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:43 AM
I can't believe you guys forgot pogs.

"Oh boy! We'll have jolly good fun throwing fucking bottle caps at the ground, and only paying $5 for each cheaply produced, easily destroyed, overpriced excuses for wastes of time! Then maybe we can head over to the Piggly Wiggly and eat packets of glue we find in the parking lot! Sounds fun guys!!!!111"

Bennett
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
What about peg-rolled pants... more specifically peg-rolled Z. Cavaricci's? Those baggy M.C. Hammer-ass pants with the tag on the crotch that said Z.Cavaricci.
I remember those things cost like $50+ bucks a pair and believe me, at my school you were not "cool" unless you had those, a couple lines shaved into the side of your head, +/- the rat tail... and at least two hypercolor T-shirts. God we looked like assholes.

Skulhedface
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Speak for yourself. All I had was the little rat tail lol

Being 10 years old and not knowing what a "mullet" was yet didn't hurt any back then. And imagine my surprise to find out a rat tail DID qualify as a mullet. ::sighs:: Yes, we ALL sucked back then. But at least I was decked out in Bart Simpson stuff.

Bennett
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Next on my list are two somewhat similar things:

1. The sticky octopi prize from Kellogs cereals.
you were supposed to toss this sticky, slimy thing on the wall, and watch it "crawl" down.

2. Sticky hands/tongues.
Those long, sticky, stretchy toys that mostly came from the 25 cent toy dispenser at the grocery store. They usually came with little cardboard insects that you were supposed to nab, but the only real use for them was to get it stuck in your sister's hair, or slap her in the face with it.

I thought these things were pretty cool when I was little, but they're pretty lame amusements these days, and if I was a parent, there's no way in hell I would get one of my kids those sticky hands.

punkgrrrlie10
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:13 PM
I think if anything can be defined as a fad, it is stupid.

acid-washed stretch jeans.

Bennett
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:39 AM
I don't know, it seems a little overbearing to say that anything that is a fad is stupid. For example, one could like something before it gets really popular, would it still be stupid for that person to like the new "fad?"

I think the main distinction is between people who decide to like something because it's the "next big thing," or because everybody else does, and the people who might actually find aesthetic value in something in and of itself.

Anyway, what I was getting at here was stuff when we were too young to really even know better... that said acid washed jeans was a good call.

-Gor
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:52 AM
i hate the fingerboards,pokemon,punks and rap.

pjalne
Aug 1st, 2003, 08:54 AM
Alright, stop this right now. Don't go further back in the archives. This thread has been dead for almost half a year.