PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Flash

pjalne
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:09 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/tamaraswift/dramatisation/act1/act1_1b.shtml

I want to rip a couple of flash movies, but if they detect they're run from anywhere else than the BBC website, they won't work. Doesn anybody know a way to get around this?

AChimp
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Rip onto what? :(

pjalne
Jul 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Rip onto my hard drive so I can have it. :(

This computer is the only in the house to be connected to the internet, and it won't run flash properly. So to watch these movies I'll have to download them and move them over to the good computer.

AChimp
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hmm... I see what you mean.

I don't really have any experience with Flash, so I have no idea what kind of networking functionality it has. I have a couple ideas, though, but I doubt any of them will be practical for normal use.

You should probalby just transfer them to video or something. :(

pjalne
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but to transfer them to video I would have to download them first, and when I download them they just go all "hey, this isn't the BBC website fuck off". :(

AChimp
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about the "can't run Flash on my Internet computer" part. :(

As far as I can tell, it's not making any network requests. Can you access environment variables in Flash, like HTTP_REFERRER ? That's the only other thing that I can think of.

FS
Jul 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Strange. I tried downloading the first movie after following the embed code, but when I downloaded it I got a .htm file (I used a direct link to the .swf file).

St8ic
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
You aren't under *nix by any chance, are you? I would just use wget.

If you're under windoze you can download something like "Teleport Pro" to rip it.

AChimp
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
No, there's something inside the Flash file that's checking what server it's running on... although it is possible that it's looking for a particular file relative to it's current location.

St8ic
Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Use netstat (or something similar) to see what it's trying to connect to. Teleport pro can also give you a list of all the files in that directory, so you can see if there is an obvious file that it will try to open.