PDA

View Full Version : XP svchost or something isn't working. This is desperate.

Supafly345
Aug 11th, 2004, 02:06 PM
I decided to restart my computer, and when I did it brought me up to a password entery screen for my owner account. Since I never assigned a password I coulden't enter one and it woulden't let me in. And each time I got it wrong it said something about problems with my server host or something.
Since I coulden't get past that I decided to chose the option to restart, and now whenever I start it up an error message saying that "svchost coulden't write to (some stupid name)" and a short time later another message comes up saying "svchost coulden't read from (some completely different name)" and it takes a long time to start.
Now whenever I sign online it says I am online, but I cannot recieve info from any websites. Everything says "page cannot be displayed" like I wasn't online at all, when in fact I am. What the fuck is going on?

I am having to be on my parent's computer to write this since I can't do anything on mine right now.

AChimp
Aug 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Svchost is a core Windows program that runs as a host process for services that use DLLs. It's having trouble reading and writing from memory, meaning that something has fucked something important in Windows. This would explain why websites don't work; the programs that control network traffic can't start.

Chances are that XP killed itself. Have you uninstalled/reinstalled anything lately?

I had a similar problem to this a while ago. It was a minor annoyance at first, and it got progressively worse over time. I traced it down to letting MSN load at startup. The only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows, because there's no way to know what processes are trying to access those memory addresses. :(

Supafly345
Aug 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I think it was MSblaster. It has all the same characteristics as MSblaster, and one of the updates I have yet to get is a critical one against MSblaster. I am running an antivirus, and I am updating everything as soon as things are straightened out.

AChimp
Aug 11th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hmm... that's possible. I don't have much experience with fixing virii because I'm never affected by them. :(

Supafly345
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I had to use the computer's recover system that brings the programs back to where they were when the computer was bought. But now I can't even start the machine and all it says is "NTLDR is compressed, press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart"
WHen I do restart, it does the same thing. How do I uncompress the NTLDR?

AChimp
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM
NTLDR is "NT Loader." Essentially, it's what starts up Windows. When Windows detects a problem like that, it's supposed to fix it before rebooting (you can't have any of your core files compressed because your BIOS is what runs them on startup).

Try making a system disk on a different XP computer.

Then transfer all of your files off and reinstall Windows. >:

theapportioner
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah sounds like Blaster or a variant. We had the same problem with a computer at work. Don't remember how we fixed it, but maybe I can find out. Does Symantec or something have a FAQ about this? Cos Blaster messed a lot of people up.

Blue
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:54 AM
My firewall blocked blaster. My machine is unpatched to all that crap and i never get virus's.