PDA

View Full Version : General Computer Help

MEATMAN
Aug 18th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Ok, people, listen up. I've decided to try and contribute to this by volunteering on the forum as tech support of sorts. My stepfather is a computer programmer, my mother took computer repair classes, I've bought a whole bunch of books on the subject, on top of the ones we already have, and to top it all off, I'm going to major in computer hardware when I start college next week.

So, let's begin the questions!

By the way, I do not charge for my services, because chances are, I may not know what your problem is. But, that hasn't stopped me yet!

AChimp
Aug 18th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Congratulations on your future career at Best Buy. :)

MEATMAN
Aug 18th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Congratulations on your future career at Best Buy. :)

Thank you very much. I hope to get a job there soon.

FS
Aug 18th, 2004, 03:58 PM
MY COMPUTER WON'T WORK

HELP

pjalne
Aug 19th, 2004, 05:07 AM
My screen's black and I can't feel any radiation.

MEATMAN
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM
You know, I'm getting the distinct feeling you people aren't taking me seriously. In any other thread, I expect this sort of thing you're doing to me, but in here, just can the childish behavior.

Next!

FS
Aug 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM
OK mom :rolleyes

No but seriously, see if you can help me with this:

A while ago while doing scans with respectively Spybot and Ad-aware , I deleted some malicious file called bridge.dll. I forget exactly what it was - a keylogger or a backdoor thingy. Anyway, apparently it had nestled itself nicely to activate on start-up, because now everytime I start up my PC, I get a little window that tells me it can't find "bridge.dll".

What can I do to stop the PC from trying to activate that file everytime?

edit: I forgot that you're apparently focusing more on hardware. Well, it's worth a shot anyway.

whoreable
Aug 19th, 2004, 02:33 PM
i think you can uncheck the thing that brings that up in msconfig on the startup tab, wait lets let meatman come up with a better answer

AChimp
Aug 19th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Sounds to me like the spyware removal tools didn't eliminate the program entirely. It might be buried somewhere in the registry and may not show up in msconfig.

executioneer
Aug 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM
OK mom :rolleyes

No but seriously, see if you can help me with this:

A while ago while doing scans with respectively Spybot and Ad-aware , I deleted some malicious file called bridge.dll. I forget exactly what it was - a keylogger or a backdoor thingy. Anyway, apparently it had nestled itself nicely to activate on start-up, because now everytime I start up my PC, I get a little window that tells me it can't find "bridge.dll".

What can I do to stop the PC from trying to activate that file everytime?

edit: I forgot that you're apparently focusing more on hardware. Well, it's worth a shot anyway.

first thing i'd do: go to the start menu and select run, then type "regedit" in the box that shows up.

In the registry editor's left window, double-click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", "SOFTWARE", "Microsoft", "Windows", "CurrentVersion", and then "Run". There should be an entry titled "RunDLL" in the right window. Right-click on it and select "Delete".

Anonymous
Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Thank God meatman's here to once again contribute to the community that cherishes his devotion to it.

You know if you manage to fix admin Esuohlim's computer you might make it right past initiation haha am i right guys?