PDA

View Full Version : spyware *won't* go away!!

huond
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I run Ad-Aware and Spybot, both updated, like every single day and I get like the same things every time. Why won't it go away??? :(

MEATMAN
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM
It won't go away because it was running at the time of the scan. I will not go away until you prevent it from loading at startup. To do that:
1. Write down the names of the files in particular that can't be deleted.
2. Go into regedit.
3. Use the Find feature to locate the folders containing the registry entries of these files.
4. Delete them.
5. Make sure the entries you delete are the real thing.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Run your scan again.

You will find that the spyware failed to load because there were no instructions in the registry telling it to do so. I hope this helps.

FS
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Usually Spybot, at least, offers me the chance to reboot and load itself before other programs so I can delete them. I'm not sure about Ad-aware.

ThisIsWitty
Aug 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
With ad-aware you have to quarantine the junk... I think.

I'm teh n00b to all this fancy shmancy Spy/Ad Ware stuff. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right...

executioneer
Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:34 AM
huond what is the name of the spyware you are getting a problem with :(

huond
Aug 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
i managed to get rid of everything but one thign that spybot finds called "DSO Exploit."

executioneer
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
try running windows update, that's sposed to help (its not really a spyware but a windows vulnerability?)

executioneer
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
it'll still show up in spybot though, but you can igntore it (spybot apparently has got a bug w/ regards to this particular fix :()

and this (http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=15308&st=0) is a discussion which has all the details (they tell how to get rid of it so it wont show up in spybot, but also say that it's really not necessary to if you're all patched w. windows update)

huond
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
i have windows update automatically, so that shouldnt be a problem. if its not a real problem I'll juts ignore it.

thanks tho :(

executioneer
Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
welcome :)

Blue
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM
You should really wait for service packs for patching cause most of the quick fixes cause more problems then they fix...

Anonymous
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM
i hear the new service pack isn't up on windows update ;< I got my copy from penny arcade ;<

executioneer
Aug 27th, 2004, 01:58 AM
i just downloaded it and it kind of messed w/ media player :/
but as long as i dont put it in skin mode or w/e it doesnt mess up

Blue
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:03 AM
You's just downloaded DRM hehe.. It controls what can be played on Media Player 9. If sites adopt the technology you will find you cant play items on that site if you dont have the correct drm key. It is anti piracy garbage. I stick to WM 7.1 with the latest codec packs...

executioneer
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:11 AM
You's just downloaded DRM hehe.. It controls what can be played on Media Player 9. If sites adopt the technology you will find you cant play items on that site if you dont have the correct drm key. It is anti piracy garbage. I stick to WM 7.1 with the latest codec packs...

no it doesnt it just locks it up if you change modes :/ i just got done watchgin waynes world w/ it

Blue
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Was waynes world downloaded from a site that uses DRM? guessing not... M$ were waiting till SP2 of Xp to include DRM because of the "tough" anti-piracy stance. They are just brown nosing so more companies will use M$ software.

EDIT: There was a version of DRm pre xp but it was cracked.

executioneer
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:40 AM
well its not gonna affect me then, since i never d/l files with DRM on them :rolleyes