PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox 1.0 released

theapportioner
Sep 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM
And Thunderbird 0.8. Get it, biotches, and ditch IE. http://www.mozilla.org/ Spread the word.

MetalMilitia
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:00 PM
yay! firefox rules.

Karl Hungus
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
whats the difference between mozilla and firefox? and which do you prefer?

Gurlugon
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Mozilla has an IRC client, mail client, and HTML editor integrated into the browser. Firefox is browsin' and just browsin'. I prefer Firefox.

MetalMilitia
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Yea i prefer firefox too. Its reliable, fast and nice looking.

Anonymous
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
and lacking in page rendering, making it a nightmare for web designers. Hooray!

MetalMilitia
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
bah! usually when i make a site it works perfectly in FireFox but something fucks up in IE.

Anonymous
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
www.popnko.com

Only looks right in IE :tear

MetalMilitia
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
www.popnko.com

Only looks right in IE :tear

*cough*Lazy web designer*cough* ;P

im sure that could be fixed fairly easily.

Anonymous
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Can't, those style sheets are only available to IE. Nothing lazy about it.

MetalMilitia
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:24 PM
im no web designer so i think il take your word for it.

AChimp
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Microsoft added a bunch of extra stuff to stylesheets and HTML that's all remnants of the browser wars. A lot of times, though, when something looks right in IE but breaks in other browsers, it's shitty HTML. :(

executioneer
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:10 PM
why would i want to go thru all the hassle of downloading a new browser when internet explorer works perfectly fine :rolleyes

MetalMilitia
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:33 AM
why would i want to go thru all the hassle of downloading a new browser when internet explorer works perfectly fine :rolleyes

I used to have that attitude but after using firefox for a few months i cant use IE.
Firefox has a lot of nice features, the main one bieng tabbed browsing. Useing tabs keeps yout taskbar from bieng cluttered and with a middle click of the mouse any link will open in a new tab. This is especially useful on forums and such because if you see a couple of threads you want to read you can load them up in a new tab then by the time you have finished reading one the rest are already loaded. Also the interface looks alot nicer than IE's and it has a built in box for searches, so you dont need the google toolbar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/176659.9/search.gif

Other things include popup blocking, the ability to block images from any location and you can do fancy things like increase/decrease text size on pages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/176659.9/textsize.gif

So just generally a nicer browser to use.

whoreable
Sep 18th, 2004, 10:24 AM
the google search thing is pointless in my opinion, casue you can make the ie address bar work just like that.

tabs are pretty pointless as you can have multiple windows and you have a taskbar.

sp2 blocks popups now, although the firefox one is better imo.

I like firefox because it has alot of extensions that allow some nice things that make it really handy, like dragging links to open a new tab, open a tab you accientaly closed, winamp controls, webmail access. etc. It also could possibly be a bit faster, but that is debatable.

I hate firefox because it does not support ftp and network shares like ie does(or explorer at least).

I havent installed firefox again since i formated and i do miss it, so i guess i do like it better than using ie.

AChimp
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
The only thing Firefox has over IE is the plugins, really. I haven't tried it yet, but I will one day. :tear

bigtimecow
Sep 19th, 2004, 07:00 PM
the tabs are very convenient because i'd rather have all my windows in side of one window rather than 20 windows on the taskbar. it's a lot easier to search through the tabs than the taskbar.
mozilla teh balls