PDA

View Full Version : whats the best video format

jimmy_tango
Oct 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM
what makes for the best veiwing, clearer picture,etc.. .avi, .mpeg,.divx,.xvid, etc...

FS
Oct 28th, 2004, 07:44 AM
I'm fairly certain best viewing and clearest picture depend solely on how compressed the quality of your movie is.

I'm not sure if there's difference into what format allows the smallest filesize (so you can preserve the most quality), but I think it might be AVI. Though all of that again might depend on what codec you're using to compress.

liquidstatik
Oct 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I would have to agree that .avi seems to be the best. Compared to .mpegs and .wmvs i've downloaded, avis are always have a better picture and run smoother. :/

adeptninja
Oct 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM
The best ones ive seen are .avi and .vob (dvd)

Anonymous
Oct 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM
i'm kinda partial to xvid (avi) and mp4 (quicktime)

ArrowX
Oct 31st, 2004, 02:20 PM
.avi

The bes player for anything so far Ive used is DivX

Anonymous
Oct 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM
HOW HELPFUL

YOU FAT BASTARD

McMock
Nov 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
You can't compress a file as avi. Avi is just a format for packaging information about the coded used, and the file itself, together - not a codec of it's own.

I have no idea what the best one is. I'd say DVD's, which are compressed using MPEG (some number) are the best in my uninformed opinion.

executioneer
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:39 AM
the best QUALITY format is uncompressed avi/VOB.
mpeg-2 is great quality, and a lot of newer dvd players will play dvds encoded with it.
mpeg-1 is shitty, but hey you can fit like 4 hours on a single layer single sided dvd and you can still play it on a dvd player a lot of the time

variable-bit-rate xvid is better quality and a lot better compression than mpeg-1 but you have to play them on a computer since there aren't any standalone players that are compatible with it. Yet. Probably won't be either.