PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive might die soon...

Mockery
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM
I'm backing up stuff onto CD cuz I think my hard drive is about to die. One thing I do need help with is how to backup my Microsoft Outlook mail files. Any suggestions?

AChimp
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:07 PM
The e-mail itself or your address book?

AChimp
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:09 PM
The procedure should be identical for either, I think. I use Outlook Express, but I have a bit of experience with Outlook.

I think you have to go to File>Import and Export or something like that. For your contacts, you can either export as comma-separated-values or as an Outlook data file. You shoudl be able to to export your messages as a data file or something similar.

Alternatively, you could just find the data files for Outlook (they're somewhere in the hidden Local Settings folder on C:) and copy them onto the new computer.

Mockery
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:24 PM
According to Outlook it stores stuff in a "C:\Documents and Settings\Roger\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst" file.

It's about 795 megs, so I'm assuming that the one?

James
Oct 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Yes.

I just did a reformat a couple months ago, so that's the file.

You might also want to back up your bookmarks, and your fonts. I forgot about those. :(

AChimp
Oct 31st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Yeah, like James said, that's the file. You have to make sure that you reimport it properly, though. If you just copy the file over, there's a chance that it'll fuck everything up.

800MB is bloody huge, though. You should really clean out your inbox. :P

whoreable
Oct 31st, 2004, 04:06 PM
file>import and export>export to a file>personal folder file>choose your folders>choose where to save it.