PDA

View Full Version : Teraflops?

Goldensoldier
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:13 PM
What is the difference from teraflops with Ghz? The fastest ghz is like 3.06ghz and the highest teraflop is 11.47? Here is an article on the fastest computer in the world... its an IBM. Thats right, an IBM. But what is the difference??

http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/

Ninjavenom
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM
kilo -> mega -> giga -> peda -> tera

I may have switched peda and tera, not sure.

AChimp
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Tera comes after giga.

You can't compare flops with hertz because they are two separate units of measurement and there is no conversion. Flops are floating point operations per second. Hertz is cycles per second.

Goldensoldier
Nov 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
o0o0o ok i got ya. And tera is the fastest as of right now i take it...

BlueOatmeal
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:07 AM
http://img109.exs.cx/img109/465/TerraAv.jpg

HAHAHAhahAhAHAHhahHAHHA GET IT????

I AM A LAFF RIOT!

EisigerBiskuit
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:24 AM
You stole my joke! >:

BlueOatmeal
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Man I kick so much ass!

ArrowX
Nov 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM
hairy man ass

Raize
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:27 PM
kilo -> mega -> giga -> peda -> tera

I may have switched peda and tera, not sure.

Yeah. it's tera first, then "peta". I don't know if peda has really been accepted as a proper replacement for "peta" but I've heard people use it. You may have heard it too, which is why you have it typed that way, but plenty of others have typed it that way too.

Here's an expanded list as far as I know:

kilo > mega > giga > tera > peta > exa > zetta > zotta (yotta?) > bronto

Bronto is like sextillion bytes though, and I don't think the entirety of the storage space in the world takes up more than a few hundred exabytes right now, so we got a ways to go.

I pulled most of this from a thread with this interesting tidbit:
Hiroyuki Goto, 21, the current world record holder for the most digits of Pi memorized, required over nine hours to recite 42000+ digits.

Goldensoldier
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Wow dude, i thought i knew things about kilo and mega and giga....i knew shit, i still have alot to learn about speeds... hey does anyone know how to overclock or if possible with a Intel P4 2.66 ghz? Or does anyone know to how to overclock ram? If that is possible?

MetalMilitia
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
It would take some time to explain but you basically have to reaserach... FSB, Voltages and find out what core your processor has (CPUz should be able to tell you) .
Adjust the clock settings in your BIOS but do it incrementally at about 5-10 mhz then test, and by test i mean leave it running superPI for quite a while.
Monitor temperatures with a program such as speedfan and make sure the core temp doesn't go far over 60 under full load.

I havent ever used a P4 motherboard or processor (for overclockign anyway) so i dont know if they generally have PCI lock so AGP and PCI speeds are not automatically changed when you adjust the FSB but if its a decent motherboard it shoudl do. (running AGP at over 70mhz is likely to fubar someting)

Overclocking memory is done in the bios also but depending on the quality of the RAM results can vary. Ideally you would run it 1:1 with the FSB but i dunno how possible that is on a P4.

Raize can probably give you a better explanation, im too lazy and my motherboard sucks to much to OC my processor by more than a few MHz so i dont have much expierence.

Raize
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Raize can probably give you a better explanation, im too lazy and my motherboard sucks to much to OC my processor by more than a few MHz so i dont have much expierence.

Actually you did a decent enough job.

The only thing I would add is that you should be careful. I have a buddy that likes to overclock and he always consults me and shit. He was able to get his computer overclocked about 50% and it was still running at an ultra-cool 35% celsius.

But, like all things that appear to be fine, it turned out he didn't account for the fact that upping his motherboard speed put undue strain on all his slots, not just the AGP card, RAM, and processor. That eventually led to his sound card frying. It could have led to his network card dying (as he didn't have an onboard one).

The only advice I can give is to be careful that you don't try to push too much through the pipe. Just because things seem to be working fine doesn't mean your PCI cards aren't going to shit out on you or that at the top end your processor isn't burning a hole in your heatsink.

AChimp
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
The new Asus P4 boards overclock based on percentages. If they see that something is going to die, the motherboard reboots and sets everything back to normal.

MetalMilitia
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:07 AM
yea there are those toms hardware videos where they take the heatskink off a few different processors while running UT2003 and the P4s just downclock themselves and save the processor while the athlons burst into flames.

AChimp
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:44 AM
The max the motherboard lets you overclock is 30%, if I remember correctly. It goes 5, 10, 15, 30.

That can still get you up to nearly 4GHz with a 3.0 P4. :eek

MetalMilitia
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Shame you need a wind tunnel to keep the thing cool.