PDA

View Full Version : Programming

Guitar Woman
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:06 AM
So I want to write a program. I need to keep myself from being bored when I can't sleep, and I've thought of making a text adventure. I have experience in NPC programming in Grall online, but now I want to make a program that is executable from windows. Nothing special, just a dos based thing. So, uh, where do I go to write it? :confused

Guitar Woman
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
*graal :x

MetalMilitia
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Visual Studio .NET 2003 -Quite a user friendly suite of programming tools. But still no walk in the park for a beginner.

You could write a dos based program in C++ or C. But to use the windows environment VB is probably best.

executioneer
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
or you could do one in QuickBasic if you wanted to be really silly :lol

http://home.blarg.net/~mobbswm/qb71.exe

that one doesnt have a help file though which is annoying >: but you should be able to find like a bunch of tutorials on "quickbasic" or "qbasic" on google or w/e, especially if its a fairly simple program

AChimp
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I recommend putting game programming ideas aside for now and learn how to program first. :(

Text parsers are actually pretty sophisticated. :(

Guitar Woman
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I know how to program pretty well. Graal NPC scripting is just like regular programming language.
Example:

if (created) {
setimg beer.png;
}
//CLIENTSIDE
if (playertouchsme) {
playerhearts +=100;
hide;
}
if (playerchats&&strequals(#c beer)&&playerrupees =>11) {
show;
playerrupees -=10;
}

This is a script for beer, which is used a lot in playerhouses. If you touch it, it refills your health to full and goes away because you "drank" it, then if you say "beer" it will appear again and take 10 dollars from you (for buying annother one). Clientside means that it only effects one player, because graal is a MMG, and all the players in the same room as the NPC suddenly losing 10 gralats is kind of annoying. Yeah, there are some differences, but I'm good at adapting to these kind of changes. So, where do I actually go to write the program? Please help, I don't want to have to make a text adventure using Graal NPCs. ;_;

MetalMilitia
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Looks pretty much like C. Get Visual studio. Its kind of like MS office but with programming tools. You will probably have to perfect your syntax and whatnot but it looks llike you wont have too much trouble.

Guitar Woman
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks.

executioneer
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:07 AM
oh wait i didnt read your post all the way! if you want to make a text adventure you should use AGT (http://www.markwelch.com/agt.htm) >:

emujunkies
Mar 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Just use Game Maker
www.gamemaker.nl

MetalMilitia
Mar 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Oh shit its a bigger version of WINO.

the_dudefather
Mar 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
game maker rocks, i gots the registered version and everything (yep, legaly :0 )

while admitingly i havent tried anything non-graphics based, it would be worth a try

emujunkies
Mar 27th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Yea I know the full version kicks ass, lot of cool extra features.

the_dudefather
Mar 28th, 2005, 10:12 PM
particle effects, rotating sprite/views and lotsa other neat stuff :)

my new game, metal gear rex VR pilot is cominging along nicely...

executioneer
Mar 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM
THIS IS AN IRRELEVANT DISCUSSION, AS THE ORIGINAL TOPIC WAS TEXT ADVENTURES AND THE GUY WHO POSTED IT IS BANNED NOW

the_dudefather
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
i dont know the verb 'ban'