PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me

!!!!
Jul 1st, 2005, 09:58 PM
Excuse me, I was wondering if any of you knew something that I could perhaps use to make a bird feeder out of? Something that I would have already at home, and that isn't glass. Maybe plastic. You see, I have been looking for a bird feeder for about a year but I don't want to purchase one because I work hard for my money (as you likely understand) and my neighbors who think they own the world will just fling it around my yard. You know? Anyway, that's why I bought 100 pounds of bird seed.

Chojin
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Sure thing, !!!!!

Well, if you don't mind the tacky look, you could take a 2-liter bottle of some beverage (the drink doesn't matter, it's the shape that's important here) and cut a square out of it -

This square should be about half as tall as the bottle (so the little birdies don't bonk their heads getting in!) and no wider than a third of the bottle to preserve its structural integrity (I'm assuming you have a lot of birds around if you bought 100 lbs of feed, and it'd just ruffle their feathers to have all their tasty seeds spill out on the ground when plump mister oriole decides he wants some of the grub too!). You want to put this hole near the bottom of the bottle, but don't forget to leave room for the seeds.

The natural lip at the cap of the of the 2-liter will make it easy to hang this from a tree, and you can decorate the outside of the bottle with some leftover Christmas wrapping paper or glitter (make sure it's non-toxic, though). Finally, make sure to put duct tape around the edges of the hole to make sure no sharp bits are exposed.

Hope this helps!

!!!!
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:37 PM
What would you use to hang it? Would it have a perch? Would it be weatherproof?

mburbank
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Might I suggest an empty Moxie Bottle?

MetalMilitia
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I once saw a bird feeder made out of a coconut.

!!!!
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah, but like, How will it hang from a tree? Where will the birds sit? And what happens when it rains?

PILLOWFIGHT
Jul 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM
put peanut butter on it