Lacuna Coil - Comalies
The Angels of Light - Everything is Good Here/Please Come Home
Stinking Lizaveta - III
Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
Kruder and Dorfmeister - Count Basic
Sasha and John Digweed - Northern Exposure

Helm
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:35 AM
How do you like the new Lacuna Coil? I saw them live and I really dug them, but I'm not going to buy anything of theirs.

Oh, and to hijack your thread:

Meshuggha: Contradictions Collapse
Meshuggha: Destroy, Erase, Improve
Meshuggha: None
O.S.I : Office of Strategic Influence
Tiamat: Wildhoney (again)
Testament: Low
Kyuss : The Circus Leaves Town
deathORGAN (best band name ever): Universal Stripsearch

theapportioner
Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Still haven't decided on the Lacuna Coil. Some catchy tunes here, some filler.

What'ddya think of the Meshuggah and the Kyuss?

np - Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer (going through mountains of CDs to determine which oens I should keep and get rid of, ugh)

Helm
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:14 PM
Lacuna Coil: The music works better live, probably. Still, nothing terribly unique or masterful, just colourful and easy, really.

Meshuggah I've heard before, but today I really sat down and put some undisturbed listening time to their three records that I bought. I know my music theory so I'm not so easily impressed by synchopation or multirhythmics, but still, some of it was pretty well done. What translated in terms of feeling was close to what I got from Voivod, Nothingface era, or Nevermore, Politics of Ecstasy era, with some Sepultura thrown in for good measure. Some parts were especially suffocating.

The lyrics are silly, but they work in the context of the music. The soloing tricks wear off over time.

I liked None most of all. Especially Gods of Rapture. At parts it had me squirming in my seat.

As far as Kyuss, well... nothing I haven't heard on Blues... or Sky valley. Not their best either. But you gotta dig the fact that if you turn the bass and middles up on your amp while dropping the treble, you'll probably bust a speaker or two...

OSI were some of the best progressive music this side of Pleasant Shade of Gray, and I know you didn't ask.