PDA

View Full Version : Another weird Windows XP question...

Mockery
Dec 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I've noticed some major slowdown issues with some Microsoft programs in Windows XP. For example, if I'm using Outlook or Frontpage and I go to open a file and/or browse my drive, it takes FOREVER to populate the folder with the files. It'll hang there for a long time and then once it finally populates the folder, if I try to go into another folder from there, it'll take forever again.

Any idea what's causing this?

AChimp
Dec 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Try doing a disk clean up and defragging.

This tends to happen after a while because you usually end up with a lot of programs installed on your computer. Windows tries to make all the little icons show the correct thing which also takes a bunch of time. The only thing that I can think of to fix this is uninstall the crap that you don't use anymore. :(

If you have antivirus software, that could also slow things down depending on the settings you have (you mentioning Outlook makes me thing this is a likely cause because anti-virus programs love scanning the shit out of your e-mail).

Mockery
Dec 13th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Actually no, this is a fairly new computer with not much of anything on it. And there's no antivirus software on it yet. Still gotta buy a copy o' Norton for it sometime.

Seriously though, it's pretty much with any microsoft program and that's it. All the other programs (ws-ftp for example) will allow me to browse through the directories with no delays. But something like Frontpage, as soon as I go to browse for a file to open, it just hangs there and take a while before it populates the window with the files that are available to open. Sometimes it'll take over 30 seconds. :/

ziggytrix
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:19 PM
this could be a plethora of things, but the first things that come to mind are virus and hard drive error.

Mockery
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:12 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;839883&spid=2488&sid=307

Related? o.O

(keep in mind, I already have Windows Service Pack 2 installed)

ziggytrix
Dec 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
not unless you're getting files over a network and not off your local hard drive. :(

Mockery
Dec 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Nopers, all these files are on my local hard drive... I just thought it might be related somehow.

I did defrag last night and the problem still exists. :/

ziggytrix
Dec 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/a28f47cfe10340c6/626df54bca0c30bb%23626df54bca0c30bb?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3

check this discussion - guy has the same problem and there are some tips partway down in the responses that might help

Mockery
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Found out what was causing it thanks to someone on TF.

One of the computers on the network here was turned off (Doopa's computer) and I have one of her folders mapped so that we can transfer stuff back 'n forth easily. As soon as I turned her computer on, the slowdown problem went away.

Now I just need to know if I can get rid of this slowdown problem when her computer isn't turned on.