PDA

View Full Version : Trojan/Virus problem...

Mockery
Jan 10th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Per Chojin's suggestion, I just installed AVG ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 ) a free antivirus program that won't destroy my computer like Norton Antivirus just recently tried to. Anyway, I installed it and it found a few viruses that it removed when I ran a scan in safe mode.

But it's still detecting this one Trojan that I can't seem to find or get rid of. I get the following detection notice any time I try to run any kind of program. Here's what it's saying:

AVG Resident Shield
Virus Detected!
While opening file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpk32.dll
Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic2.ANG
I can't even get that message to stop popping up. :/ So anyway, if i try to heal or delete the infected file using AVG I get an error that says "Request action is not available for this object. Access to the file has been denied."

I also tried to find the avpk32.dll file on my computer and it can't even find it.

And to top things off, my computer takes forever to boot up now that Norton Antivirus fucked things up. I got the program uninstalled I think (thanks to a system restore) but my computer is still taking forever to boot up into windows.

Any help with this annoying shit would be greatly appreciated.

Mockery
Jan 10th, 2006, 02:45 AM
BTW, I ran Regedit and was able to find the avpk32.dll file in the registry. It's located in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Search Assistant/ACMru/5603/avpk32.dll

I didn't want to remove it from the registry yet though... not until I heard back from some of you to see what you thought about this problem.

Mockery
Jan 10th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I also just found it in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Search Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/Notify/avpk32/avpk32.dll

Seems like it might be in a few other areas in the registry too, or at least references to it.

Whatever the case may be, if I try to run most program, even something like ws-ftp, the antivirus program pops up a warning message about the trojan.

kahljorn
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I looked it up on the avg site and it doesn't even have any information for it. I'd reccomend sending them an e-mail or maybe trying another virus scanner? The one i used most recently was PC-cillin, but I dunno how "Safe" it is.

As for the norton thing, maybe it needs to be removed from startup? look under msconfig.

Jeff The Ninja
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I heard that Mcafee has a free utility to get rid of some of the more Difficult viruses that other Antivirus programs cant get rid of easily.

executioneer
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
yeah? link us to it.

kahljorn
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM
AVG had something like that called vcleaner. It didn't list the virus you have in particular, it did however list a few other backdoor virii. So who knows... it was on their website.