PDA

View Full Version : Wtf is going on with my old PC?

Jeff The Ninja
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Ok, A few months ago a friend of my brothers looked at my computer and had to wipe my harddrive. It was nothing major because I could just get it all back later. But now whenever I try to Run certain programs, like Max Payne, my computer restarts/crashes for no reason. I dont know why because I was able to play it before with no problem. That is just a few of the many problems with my computer.

-My computer fan Doesnt work

-CD-Rom Drive asks to format the disk before using?

-And others I havent found yet

Does anybody here know what is happening. I think that the Crashes are being caused by the computer overheating. Or it could be a Graphics card problem because whenever I try to Run Half-Life in Direct X Video Mode, it crashes. And I have installed the drivers about 5 times to no avail.

ziggytrix
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
classic case of senile dementia

kahljorn
Jan 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
My computer fan Doesnt work

videocards can overheat. I used to have that problem when playing diablo 2.

Try formatting again, completely wipe everything even the partition. Then consider trying to use a repair program on it? Some manufacturers have programs for that, Western digital used to have one.

Sometimes old computers are just fucked permanantly.

Chojin
Jan 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The vidcard overheating won't restart your PC, it'd just crash your computer. Instant rebooting is your CPU overheating.

However if you only started having this problem and it's not related to something else I'd recommend reformatting and making sure to not do a quick format. Quick formatting just flags all space as usable on the drive and the remaining (hidden) data can still confuse your computer.