PDA

View Full Version : Super PunchOut Help

Ihach
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:24 PM
ok, due to an older topic mentioning super punch out, ive found a rom and begun to play it again. the problem: i stink. so, any help from the professed masters would be appreciated (les waste). right now, im stuck on heike kigaro (sp?). mainly, knowning how to block his hair, and to predict the damn mirage dance would help

timrpgland
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Duck when he swings his hair. When he does his mirage attack just keep trying to time it to smack him out of it.

Les Waste
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:53 PM
You can't just duck. I think you dodge right on the first swing, and then you duck. Or the other way around. But you have to dodge it twice two seperate ways.

When he does the mirage dance, just keep left-jabbing his face (up and Y). That's your fastest punch (right hooks [just B] are the slowest, and coversely the strongest). It won't work all the time, but sometimes you can hit him and stun him while he's doing the mirage dance. Otherwise, just try to remember all the little dances and poses he does when he comes out of the mirage dance. The attacks that follow will always be the same, and you can always stop them by blocking or dodging a certain way.

Also, every time you knock him out, he'll uppercut as soon as he gets back up. Use a left hook to counter it every time he gets back up.

James
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I just played through it a couple weeks ago.

In the end, what you'll end up doing is fighting the boxers over and over (loading states), until you become familiar with their moves, patterns and animations (that usually hint at an upcoming move).

It's the only way you'll get anywhere. And if you think Heike's hard, wait until you meet Hoy Quarlow, or however it's spelled.

Les Waste
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Hoy isn't harder than the Bruiser brothers, but I can beat both the Bruiser brothers without getting hit. I don't think I've ever fought Hoy and not gotten caned in the face.

Kaish
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:21 PM
I'm stuck on the one Hindu Tiger guy from India. I know how t beat him, just when he does his tiger punch I'm eliminated.

Black Midnight
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:44 PM
uh, dude? wrong game, that one's for NES. this is "SUPER punch out" not Mike Tyson's punch out, which you are referring to.

Les Waste
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Kaish is a fucking idiot >:

timrpgland
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Haven't played the game for quite a while so I didn't remember the exact tactic, but yeah. Heike is a wuss.

Ihach
Mar 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM
thnx much les, your help enabled me to defeat heike quite handily, but ill be back, bitching about another opponent, and then i will tax your knowledge of all things punchout again :)

EDIT: Sweet jesus christ! not 5 mins later....... mad clown....... what must i do!? help me master of punchout!

EDIT 2: HE THROWS BALLS FOR CHRIST SAKES! THERE ARE NO BALLS IN BOXING! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les Waste
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Mad Clown is hard at first, but like everyone else, he telegraphs his moves. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I fought him cause he was so fucking hard.

He's A LOT like Bear Hugger, but harder. First, most of the time against other opponents you hold down the A button to do a strong upper cut when you have the special punch. But against Mad Clown, just tap up+A to do the rapid punch in his face thing. That works really good against the fat fucks.

After you knock him down twice, he'll do this thing where he'll keep punching you, but if you just block up as soon as he gets up and then dodge his back hand, it's not too hard.

As for the balls, he'll only throw two at once. Meaning you can avoid getting hit by either dodging left, right, or not moving at all. But as soon as he's done, he'll do this thing where he'll punch with both hands. Just duck and he won't hit you.

Like everyone else, he's easy as soon as you figure out his moves. He telegraphs his punches really bad, so as soon as you figure out what his dances and poses mean, he's easy as pie.

Don't worry, after him you get to fight Super Macho Man :)

And just so you know, you can't fight the last circuit unless your record in the three previous circuits is 4-0

James
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:22 PM
This game is all about spending 10-20 matches against someone, until you are very familiar with their movements. Once that's done, everyone is incredibly easy. So there's no real secret to the game that you can't figure out through some trial and error.

And if worse comes to worse, there's FAQs on Gamefaqs that describe the moves each boxer has.

timrpgland
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:00 AM
When are they gonna make another Punchout??

Mockery
Mar 31st, 2003, 02:47 PM
How does this game compare to the NES Punchout anyway? I've only played the NES version believe it or not...

timrpgland
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:53 PM
Actually Super Punchout is probably the better game. The original Mike Tyson's Punchout is hard to compare to since it is a classic but to be realistic, Super Punchout is better.

Ihach
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:02 PM
its good you mentioned the 4-0 on the other circuits thing, so im just saving state each fight now, so yeah, im 8-0 on the first two, and it looks like each fight is just gonna be trial and error, like jamesman said