PDA

View Full Version : Macs and CDRW discs

FartinMowler
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM
I tried burning some music on a CDRW disc today with a message saying that I probably won't be able to play it on most common CD players...huh? is this some kind of Mac anti copy protection crap?

Azrael
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Just about any CD player can play CDR's. CDRW's are a bit trickier, some CD players will play them, some won't. I can't explain exactly why, but it's something about the re-writable properties of CDRW's that don't agree with some CD players.

zeldasbiggestfan
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Same thing with the region for your DVD player. If its not the right region disc or player it wont work.

Fathom Zero
Nov 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Some discs work with some disc players, others work with others. This is why one can put some discs in their Xbox, but not all of them. I've got a nice Sony stereo that can play just about anything I throw at it.

If you need to find out what works with what, use the internet.

And it probably has nothing to do with region coding. I've played a number of Japanese and German CDs in my stereo. My guess is that it's completely random whether it will work or not.

zeldasbiggestfan
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM
It could be though. Slim chance.

kahljorn
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
most manufactors list what type of cd formats they will read. There's tons of kinds there's even stuff like dvdr+ dvdr- etc. CDrw's are a different format than the others.. Sony playstations will usually play them and so will most modern cd players.

you should be able to find out what format of cds your cd player uses.

FartinMowler
Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
I went back and used my PC (for burning) and they work fine...I think it's the Mac

executioneer
Nov 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM
no, the PC just didn't give you an warning message you goofus

the problem's not with the computer but with the type of disc you're trying to burn and the burner on the mac is tryign to warn you that the disc won't work on some old cd players

whereas the PC burner just goes "eh, he'll figure it out when it doesn't work on his grandma's cd player and it does in his discman"