PDA

View Full Version : Pet food recall woes

Matt Harty
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
My cat hadn't been eating for a few days which was odd. And she'd been vomiting but it was a pretty common thing to occur every so often, as my cat had some kinda urinary infection bs that makes it vomit unless it eats some kinda custom dry food.

Needless to say i found my cat dead outside the door to my room this morning. Was pretty eerie because I remembered hearing about the recall but I knew the brand of wet food I normally fed her didn't fall under the effected list. Turns out my parents had bought some shit called Sophisticat or something, which was one of the brands being recalled. So when I stomped my foot near her to wake her up like a jerk, she didn't move at all. I was like "Aw shit." :(

It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Cause it's like... a cat. I don't know. I find it alot easier to become emotionally attached to a dog so I know it would suck to lose one of those. I think they show more emotion and such, so I was worried about my grandparents Yorkie as she was considerably expensive, and a fun pet to be around. I think a lawsuit would be stupid in most of these death cases as pets count as property, so you can't get any grievance or wrongful death awards. But for some really expensive pups I can see it happening.

Anyways, anybody elses pet croak?

Grislygus
Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
What exactly is causing the deaths, again? I haven't heard what ingredients are specifically killing them off.

Esuohlim
Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think it's e-coli contamination. I saw the recall list for both cat food and dog food and it has about 50 different brands each, which is ridiculous.

arg_zombies
Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
My cat had e-coli, and the vets thoguht it was gonna die, but it made a miraculous recovery!

Jixby Phillips
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
DEAD PETS:

Tiger/Otis: My parents had these cats before I was born. i think they both croaked of old age. Otis was a black cat haha

Spam: I had a Hamster named SPAM when I was a kid. This was back when T-shirts with SPAM cans on them were popular. I took some bad advice from my friend Eddie who said I should wrap a tin can with some socks, and that would be a good sleeping place for him. He tore it apart, and cut himself on the can, and it got infections that never healed. You couldn't even touch him without squeeling. So we had him killed at the vet.

Rex: Our first dog. He was too big for us little kids to handle, as he'd regularly injure me and my sister. It got to the point where we were afraid of him. He bit a hole through my ear once, and he gave my sister BLACK EYES on at least two different occasions. One day my dad took us to see MRS. DOUBTFIRE, and I remember not wanting to see it, but my parents being oddly insistant on my going to see it. When we got home, Rex was toast. Sent to live with a "farm family." We all know what that really means, right?

Gallagher: Cat, he was gigantically fat, and he got diabetes. We found him in the garage one day with a disturbing amount of drool coming out of his mouth, and he was seemingly blind. We took him to the vet, where we found out it would cost 400 dollars a month or something to keep him alive, so we had him killed.

Skippy: Carin Terrier ;_; he was my favorite, but he got doggy Lung Cancer. We loved this dog so much my mom was willing to spend 2,000 dollars on opperations for him, but when the vet opened him up he came to the conclusion that chances were extremely good that he'd never fully recover. So he never woke up from the operation :( I still ocasionally have dreams about this dog.

WHO WILL BE NEXT?

AUSSIE: Our oldest cat! We got this cat shortly after getting Skippy! This cat is getting really old, and getting fat. There have been a couple of times we thought this cat was dying, but it would mysteriously be fine the next day. If I had to guess, this dog is 12 years old.

HONEY: Our second dog! she's a carin terrier, 10+ years old. She's suprisingly spry and puppy-like for a dog this old! She misses Skippy ;_;

CARSON: He's a young jerk who gets caught up on the roof sometimes and wins every fight hes ever been in! He lives wild and he has a lust for life, but maybe his lust for life will be his downfall?

CHARLIE: Charlie is a jerk! He's like 3 years old! He goes nuts and gets pissed off when you go into the pool, and he can jump really high. What do you think!

GADZOOKS
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry about your cat, matt :(

Chojin
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
where is the list?

GADZOOKS
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Recalled Cat Foods:

*America's Choice, Preferred Pets
*Authority
*Best Choice
*Companion
*Compliments
*Demoulas Market Basket
*Eukanuba
*Fine Feline Cat Food
*Food Lion
*Foodtown
*Giant Companion
*Hannaford
*Hill Country Fare
*Hy-Vee
*Iams
*Laura Lynn
*Li'l Red
*Loving Meals
*Meijer's Main Choice
*Nutriplan
*Nutro Max Gourmet Dinners
*Nutro Natural Choice
*Paws
*Pet Pride
*Presidents Choice
*Price Chopper
*Priority US
*Save-A-Lot
*Schnucks
*Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
* Sophisticats
*Special Kitty Canada
*Special Kitty US
*Springfiled Prize
*Sprout
*Stop and Shop Companion
*Tops Companion
*Wegmans
*Weis Total Pet
*Western Family US
*White Rose
*Winn Dixie

Recalled Dog Foods

*Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
*Authority
*Award
*Best Choice
*Big Bet
*Big Red
*Bloom
*Wegmans Bruiser
*Cadillac
*Companion
*Demoulas Market Basket
*Eukanuba
*Food Lion
*Giant Companion
*Great Choice
*Hannaford
*Hill Country Fare
*Hy-Vee
*Iams
*Laura Lynn
*Loving Meals
*Meijers Main Choice
*Mighty Dog Pouch
*Mixables
*Nutriplan
*Nutro Max
*Nutro Natural Choice
*Nutro Ultra
*Nutro
*Ol'Roy Canada
*Ol'Roy US
*Paws
*Pet Essentials
*Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
*Presidents Choice
*Price Chopper
*Priority Canada
*Priority US
*Publix
*Roche Brothers
*Save-A-Lot
*Schnucks
*Shep Dog
*Springsfield Prize
*Sprout
*Stater Brothers
*Weis Total Pet
*Western Family US
*White Rose
*Winn Dixie
*Your Pet

I feed my cat 9 Lives and Whiskers :(:(:(

Zomboid
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Maaaaan. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs and the dogs regularly eat the cat food :(

Chojin
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I have the purina urinart tract food so I guess they're ok

Zomboid
Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
I checked and the only cat food in the house is meow mix :D

noob3
Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
oh fuck i should not have been eating all that cat food NO WONDER i'm sick :lol

Rongi
Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
fancy feast and meow mix didnt appear on the list so my cats are a-ok!

i like my cats better than i like most people i know, so this kinda scared me :(

Esuohlim
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
We used to feed our cat Deli-Cat but now it's some sort of hairball/sensitive stomach stuff. Either way we're good because I think they said the recall list was limited to wet cat food anyway. :\

Matt Harty
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
"Wheat gluten suspected
The FDA has sent inspectors to Menu Food plants in New Jersey and Kansas. Most complaints stem from products made at the latter factory, though both received shipments of wheat gluten, identified as a possible source of contamination, from the same supplier, said Stephen F. Sundlof, the FDA’s chief veterinarian."

Yeah so... whatever the fuck wheat gluten is...

Pretty scary how easily the food we and our pets consume can become contaminated so easily. I never even knew produce could carry ecoli till the news on the taco bell incidents.

arg_zombies
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
can I just ask - is this worldwide, or only in America? My cat and Dog foodisn't on the list, but I might easily pick up an infected brand :O

Oh, and 'Mighty Dog Pouch' has to be the greatest dog food name ever!

Jeanette X
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
http://myspace-514.vo.llnwd.net/01277/41/59/1277739514_l.jpg

My dog Bunnie got very sick and had to stay at the vet for a few days. They let us take him home because they thought he was doing better, but I found that he'd died in his sleep the next morning. :(

We think he had brain cancer. :(

Sicktodeathmx
Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
We threw all the wet dog/cat food out the other day.
I can't believe there was rat poisoning in the food :(
That's what we get for importing wheat.

Matt Harty
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Yeah lmao it ended up being rat poison. So what one angry employee can bring a major company to its knees?

Fathom Zero
Mar 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Shit, my dog eats Ol' Roy.

Fathom Zero
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Aight, I called Wal Mart and they said the old man would probably be okay with what I bought.

I hope so. :(

Jixby Phillips
Mar 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I now realize that when Matt Harty said "Anyways, anybody elses pet croak?" it was not an invitation to just simply make a list of dead pets you've had over the years :lol

Divisible by Waffle
Mar 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Nah, I feed my cats Friskies...but it's still awful that this would happen. People need to be a little more fucking careful with the products they sell.

Goat Cheese
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
You see this is why I let my animals catch their dinner. Things have improved ever since I moved from that nursery I used to live next to.

arg_zombies
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, my cat goes hunt crazy, even though we fee dher. We live in an oast house, where they used to farm the hops for beer, so we live in the country, and there are endless amounts of critters...
She only eats the torso though, leaves us the legs and ears of the rabbits :(

Goat Cheese
Mar 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I believe that the head is not considered the torso.