PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavillion ze5470us problems, (screen won't turn on, BIOS and Hard Drive Lock)

Fathom Zero
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I found a HP Pavillion laptop in my garage gathering dust. I thought it was broken and decided to fix it and/or find some more parts to properly fix it. I plugged in the power supply, and to my amazement, everything booted up alright until a BIOS password was required and a hard drive password was also required. I entered in some BS words and phrases because I don't remember ever setting a password and stick in my Slax disc. I tried to get it to load off of my USB stick and something fuck up during the installation.

Being the typical Windows user that I am, I subconciously typed ctrl-alt-del and the screen shut off. I don't know if it was my doing or if I caused a short to the screen, but now it won't come on at all, even if I turn it off and on.

Right now, I'm gonna let it sit and hope it settles down enough to where I can fix things, but I really don't know what's wrong. Help.

MetalMilitia
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:44 AM
You should be able to remove a BIOS password by cracking the laptop open and removing/replacing the motherboard battery.

If you're getting problems during the installation you've probably got some bad memory or a faulty hard drive (most likely the former).

executioneer
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM
just rotate the tulley toggle geez

kahljorn
Apr 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
so does it still make noises when you turn it and off after the screen stopped working?

Fathom Zero
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Everything stops after about a second save the disc drive. This leads me to believe that there is some sort of short, which is beyond my level of skill.

I'm gonna have a professional take a look at it. Maybe get a new hard drive to replace the locked one.