PDA

View Full Version : Best Board game

CastroMotorOil
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Crossfire. Coolest game ever and the most addicting. i don't really know why but shooting those goddamn BB's was the msot entertaining thing of my childhood. :bow

ItalianStereotype
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:33 PM
it also had one of the coolest commercials i had seen in my young life.
"YOU'LL GET CAUGHT UP IN THE...CROSSFIRE"

yeah :/

Malevolent
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
http://www.aardwolfgames.com/images/box/22810.jpg

CastroMotorOil
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:54 PM
was battlemasters the one with the like 7 foot wide 8 foot long mat you played on. My friend had that. IT WAS AWESOME.

James
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I have it. I need to get one off eBat though. Those fucking figures broke at the drop of the hat (the thing that you insert into the stand).

I also have HeroQuest, Mutant Chronicles, X-Men Alert, the other X-Men game that takes place in the mansion, Weapons and Warriors with one expansion, and the D&D Adventure game.

And I would kill to actually have friends that enjoyed these kinds of games. :(

CastroMotorOil
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:07 PM
My girlfriend wants to put a vote in for candyland.

James
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:08 PM
THIS THREAD IS NOT GETTING THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES >:

Generator86
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Risk, for the sole purpose that playing it always ended with somebody throwing the board across the room, which quickly degenerated into fistfights and silent treatments for weeks at a time. Then again, Hungry Hungry Hippos had that same effect on my friends and I as well. Now that I think about it, that's pretty much how EVERY game that we ever played ended. In summary, I don't think that 10-year old kids should steal their parent's alcohol and play board games.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:07 PM
i knwo jamesman, i thought i had a good idea here but now im crying :wah :tear

wreckreation
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:29 AM
risk really is the best board game. :(

sadie
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM
nerd. :P

Jixby Phillips
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:47 AM
SIMPSONS MONOPOLY

Malevolent
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Dude! I totally played Simpsons Monopoly last week! My brother's girlfriend bought it! It rocked!

Candyland is quite cool too, though. Queen Frostine is fuckin' hot!

Jixby Phillips
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:14 AM
I HAVE IT BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS TO PLAY IT WITH :( I GOT IT FOR MY 18TH BIRTHDAY AND THE HOUSES AND SHIT ARE STILL IN SIDE LITTLE BAGGIES, UNOPENED :(

OKAY I DO HAVE TWO FRIENDS BUT I NEVER REMEMBER TO ASK THEM TO PLAY IT :( I GUESS MY COMITMENT TO SIMPSONS MONOPOLY IS NOT WHAT IT COULD BE :( :(

I AM GOING TO APPOLOGIZE TO MY SIMSPSONS MONOPOLY RIGHT NOW

Tropical
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:03 AM
This game was funny...
http://www.lvcm.com/docprego/Mad%20Magazine%20Game.JPG

Jixby Phillips
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:10 AM
HAHAHA I HAVE THAT FUCKING GAME TOO

The object was to LOSE all your money!!! :lol

CAN YOU BELEIVE THAT FURSHLUGGINER THING :lol

sadie
Feb 9th, 2003, 07:30 PM
ry got simpson's monopoly AND simpson's clue for christmas. yay!

"IT WAS KRUSTY THE CLOWN AS COL. MUSTARD WITH THE POISONED DONUT IN BARNEY'S BOWL-A-RAMA!!"
:lol

James
Feb 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM
risk really is the best board game. :(

Question: What the hell did they do to it? I played it a few months back with my cousins, and they added all these new gameplay rules.

Speaking of which, the same thing was done with Life, where you get professions and salaries now.

AND THE BEST BOARD GAME IS HEROQUEST! IT'S CUSTOMIZABLE FOR ENDLESS GAMEPlAY! >:

CastroMotorOil
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM
fuck yeah jamesman. i had all of those extra quest things, then they stopped making them and i was hella pissed :explode
hell i even painted all of my little orcs and shit so it was exra cool.

Systemz
Feb 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM
What about Atmosfear? That was a bitchin' game. My friends and I would set up the whole thing including the expansion packs, plug the videos in and eat Pizza Hut and drink Pepsi Crystal. I never knew what was more terrifying - the gayass Gatekeeper or the methane that we produced. I swear, crystal pepsi had powers - strange, terrifying, gaseous powers. And we'd talk like the gatekeeper for hours afterward while playing Firepower 2000. Does anyone remember firepower 2000? That was my fave SNES game because it was 2p simultaneous.

unclehobart
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Stratego

Zbu Manowar
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:48 AM
I'll back Crossfire. Until some bastard just stopped firing for a minute and withheld all the ammo. >:

Protoclown
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:00 PM
The best board game EVER is Axis and Allies.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:20 PM
the computer game of A&A ruined the game. it revealed the games formulaic nature and made it so every game was the same. There was no more strategy jsuy makign the same moves every time. Axis would turtle up and allies (US) would shuck shuck them to death.

Les Waste
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM
The best board game EVER is Axis and Allies.

OMFG!!!! :eek

I FUCKING LOVED Axis and Allies!! I always liked it more than Risk for some reason

Protoclown
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:27 PM
the computer game of A&A ruined the game. it revealed the games formulaic nature and made it so every game was the same. There was no more strategy jsuy makign the same moves every time. Axis would turtle up and allies (US) would shuck shuck them to death.

I never played the computer game, I heard it sucked ass. But I still manage to play games with my friends that turn out differently every time.

And they have two really nice expansions, one dealing solely with the European front and the other dealing with the Pacific.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Those are kick ass, there is even a way you can put both of those together for the granddaddy of A&A games, takes fucking forever to play though.

Sketch33
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:52 PM
And I would kill to actually have friends that enjoyed these kinds of games. :(

How's this for irony. I have HeroQuest. When I was in the Air Force a group of us from our shop would get together each weekend for all night marathon sessions of the game. We played through the booklet that came with the game and started making our own adventures. It's amazing that it was Milton Bradley that came up with this game, and that fact alone made it take a lot of convincing to get them to play it. Once they played though, they were hooked.

I would kill to have the time to learn enough programming to recreate the game on the computer. I know they made it for the PC a long time ago, but it played like crap.

Now, the REAL ironic part. About a year ago I showed Xandor and my son how to play it, and they are both addicted to it as well.

http://Sketch.smugmug.com/photos/47996/47996-Medium.jpg

http://Sketch.smugmug.com/photos/47997/47997-Thumb.jpg http://Sketch.smugmug.com/photos/47998/47998-Thumb.jpg

The paint is wearing off of the elf in spots, allowing the red plastic to show through. Later, if anyone wishes, I'll post pics of the barbarian, wizard and the gargoyle. That's all of the figures I painted because I didn't have the time to do the rest, and now my eyes just aren't sharp enough.

Have you ever played 'Talisman'. or 'Dungeon Quest' by Games Workshop? And does anyone reading this have 'Chainsaw Warrior', also by Games Workshop, that they are willing to sell?

http://Sketch.smugmug.com/photos/47999/47999-Medium.jpg

edited: added photos and some text.

Milkman Dan
Feb 27th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Fireball Island. That game kicked ass! With the giant plastic island board and that cool head thingy that would spit the marble fireballs down the paths to kill your players. Damn I wish I still had that!

Or that crazy battleship game. The one where you were a little submarine that shot like checkers at giant battleships that would blow off their gun turrets. That game was like a cross between Crossfire and Battleship.

Jeanette X
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:25 PM
I loved Enchanted Forest. You had to lift the bottom of these tree-tokens to find the hidden treasure. The board was beautifully illustrated.

Jeanette X
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:26 PM
Whoops. Posted twice.

Cap'n Crunch
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Did anyone ever play that huge checkers game. It was a mat that spread across the floor and you had these goddamn checkers that were as big as CDs. If you lost you threw them at people and then got arrested.

HyperDingo
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Mouse trap!!!!! heheheh setting up the crazy contraption.

EatTheChildren
Apr 18th, 2003, 10:46 AM
My dad and I used to play a game called Dark World. It is kinda like stuff by Games Workshop. We never did paint the figures. I have it in my closet but no one likes to play with me...

Dark World and the Beakman's World board game get my vote.

HickMan
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:40 PM
BattleShip fuckin rocked. And this game called Quick Sand. stratigo was the best though. :rock

puke511
Jun 11th, 2003, 12:15 AM
definitely clue. I love playing this game, even though it doesnt take very long to play... but battleship is also very good.

MK IV
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Snakes and ladders.....!

LeChuck
Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:21 AM
I second the votes for Fireball Island and Mouse Trap.

Some other old favorites ..
-- Donkey Kong
-- Frogger
-- Operation
-- I Vant to Bite Your Finger
-- That one where you made fast-food burgers using little plastic buns, lettuce, meat, etc .. ??
-- Gotcha (the one with the ball and chain/handcuff)

LeChuck

LeChuck
Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Does anyone remember some game that was basically like hungry hungry hippos, except instead of hippos there were two big clown bodies on each side of the ring? And you could control their hands from behind to scoop up the marbles and drop them in their mouths?

I've been trying for a couple months to remember what that was called (!) .. any help would be appreciated

LeChuck

pickleninja
Jul 24th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Candyland is quite cool too, though. Queen Frostine is fuckin' hot!

:lol

I always used to set the cards up so I get Queen Frostine on my first turn. :rock

Esuohlim
Jul 24th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Some other old favorites ..
-- Donkey Kong
-- Frogger
-- Operation
-- I Vant to Bite Your Finger
-- That one where you made fast-food burgers using little plastic buns, lettuce, meat, etc .. ??
-- Gotcha (the one with the ball and chain/handcuff)

Do you even know what a fucking board game is?

LeChuck
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Do you even know what a fucking board game is?

If you want to be picky and only count ones that literally used flat board surfaces, then disregard a couple of those, and probably a few more in this thread.

The rest should qualify .. (and no, the first two aren't the video games).

LeChuck

p.s. go eat your sausage you l33t ph3w1

Esuohlim
Jul 25th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Operation is the only game on your list that's not a video game. NOBODY here mentioned video games. >:

Blackjack
Jul 25th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Horror House!

I can't find this thing ANYWHERE! You had a big board which had a maze of rooms with shortcuts and stuff, and everytime you entered a room, you had a "fight" - by stabbing a plastic sword into the big plastic mountain feature in the centre of the board. If you won, you heard a scream, if you lost, you heard some evil Mwahahahah! laughing, and if you drew you heard some crap clashing of swords. Winning gave you shortcuts and bonuses, losing had lots of nasty repercussions like moving back a room or taking a longer route. Best of all, the reverse side of the board had lots of cool monsters on the back - the one I remember best was the doll, who came alive at night and attacked the other toys!

They don't make games like that any more >:

LeChuck
Jul 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Operation is the only game on your list that's not a video game. NOBODY here mentioned video games.

And once again, I am not referring to video games (Donkey Kong and Frogger were obviously based on video games, but that's it). If you don't remember the BOARD games in question, how about shoving off and trying to flame elsewhere?

LeChuck

p.s. please give me a URL to more information on the "I Vant To Bite Your Finger" video game, since it obviously exists. thx d00d