PDA

View Full Version : Metal bands that don't suck.

sMG1
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Fell free to agree or disagree with the list, no flame wars.

Ok, metal bands that don't suck:

Down
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Death
Opeth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dio
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Halford
Napalm Death.

Feel free to add your own. :rock

kinot
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:55 AM
CONGRADULATIONS!!! YOU'VE JUST SAID METALLICA! :x

CastroMotorOil
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:59 AM
scratch Metallica and Megadeth and that is a decent list, also

Superjoint Ritual
Cannibal Corpse
Incantation
Dimmu Borgir
Dark Throne
Emperor
MayheM
Down
Pantera

Ninjavenom
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Obituary first and foremost.
In Flames,
Arch Enemy
Bloodbath
The Crown
Unearth
Stratovarius
Rhapsody
Anal Cunt
Deranged
Avulsed
Carcass (well, older carcass, anyway)
Children of Bodom
Encabulos
Deicide
Gorefest
The Haunted
Kalmah
Nile
Mortician

LegoLars
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:13 AM
The Crown <------------- these guys come from my hometown trollhättan, sweden.

cool right?

Zero Signal
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Nightwish

Helm
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:55 AM
What the hell. Here we go, once again:

Doom Metal
Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Orphaned Land, Trouble, Pic, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, Paradise Lost (in Lost paradise), Anathema (first album), Veni Domine, Cathedral (Forest Of Equilibrium only), Esoteric, Godsend, Kyuss, Morgion, The Gathering(up to nightime birds).

Death Metal
Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Incantation, Dying Fetus, Malevolent Creation, Asphyx, Grave, At The Gates, Dismember, Vomitory, Entombed(Left Hand Path only), Arch Enemy, Testament (in Demonic era), Demilich, Death, Demigod, Yattering, Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Cryptopsy, Morgoth, Theory In Practice, Cynic, Death, Atheist, Suffocation, Anacrusis, Tiamat, Opeth, Krisun, Origin.

Black Metal
In The Woods..., Arcturus, Ulver.

Thrash Metal
Metallica, Anthrax, Valley's Eve, Corrosion Of Conformity (Animosty era), The Haunted, Sacred Reich, Destruction, Kreator, Whiplash, Exodus, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Tankard, Artillery, Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Sodom, Dark Angel, Burn My Eyes era Machine Head, Grip Inc, Exodus, Floatsam and Jetsam.

Epic Metal
Manilla Road, Omen, Gargoyle, Candlemass (yes, again), first record Heir Apparent, Virgin Steele, maybe Blind Guardian too.

Heavy Metal
Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Blitzkrieg, Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Diamond Head, Angelwitch, Vardis, Fist, Omen.

Power Metal
Nevermore (Politics Of Ecstasy era), Helstar, Sanctuary, Helloween (up and including Keeper 2, especially Walls of Jericho and the Judas EP), Rage, Crimson Glory, Chroming Rose, Exxplorer (first record only), Mind Odyssey, Tokyo Blade, Jag Panzer, Gamma ray.

Progressive Metal
Fates Warning, Queensryche, Savatage, Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower, Pain Of Salvation, Shadow Gallery, Aghora, Maohni Moahna, Sieges Even, Dysrhythmia, Last Crack, latter day Heir Apparent, Maggelan, Spastic Ink, Vauxdvhil, Threshhold, Confessor, Lethal, Depressive Age, Quite Room, Mekong Delta, Jester's March, Believer, Abraxxas (I've only heard their e.p Shattered by a Terrible Prediction, but that very impressive prog-power), Cynic, Atheist, Coroner, Sadus, Seer's Tear (much like Psychotic Waltz), Crimson Glory, Spiral Architect (Fates Warning vocals meet Watchtower zanyness), Lord bane, Anacrusis, Black Jester, Cacophony, Conception, Thought Industry, Kalaban, Mordred, Savior Machine, Tiles, Varga, Damn The Machine.

Progressive Rock
Altura, Anekdoten, Asia, Bedful of Metaphysicians, Cairo, Can, Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, Caravan, Camel, Clockhammer, David Cross and assorted bands, Cynic, deathORGAN, Al Di Meola and assorted bands, Einsturzende Neubauten, Eloy, ELP, Enchant, Exodus (polish, not american thrash band), Experimental, Fates Warning, Fish (first solo record only), Garden Wall, Gentle Giant, Gordian Knot, Allan Holdsworth, IQ, Ithaka, King Crimson - get everything, Kraftwerk, Leviathan (USA), Lucifer Was, Maggelan, Magma, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Marillion, Nektar, Mike Oldfield, Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine Tree, Psychotic Waltz, Quill, Rush, Shadow Gallery, Sieges Even, Soft Machine, St. Elmo's Fire, Supertramp, Tangerine Dream, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Van der Graaf Generator, Voivod, Watchtower, Yes, Frank Zappa.

Gothic, generally
Fields Of The Nephilim, Garden Of Delight, Cassandra's Complex, Sisters Of Mercy, Joy Division, Bauhaus.

Ambient, Minimal or otherwise
Eno, Rene Aubry, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Set Fire To Flames.

Punk, Hardcore, etc
Snot, Dead Kennedys, The Offspring, Subhumans, Dirty Rotten Imbecilles, Grief, Eye Hate God, Iron Monkey, Converge, Discharge, Boy Hits Car, At The Drive-In, Raging Speedhorn, Crumbsuckers, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Killing Joke, Blind Idiot God, Britney Spears, Conflict, Crass.

Industrial
Swans, Throbbing Gristle, NON, God.

Grind
Vomitorial Corpulence, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Extreme Noise Terror, Napalm Death, Crephallic Carnage, 7 minutes of Nausea, Nasum, Discordance Axis, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Pig Destroyer.

Noise
Merzbow, DeadGuy, Anal Cunt, Today Is The Day.

These bands do not suck.

Generator86
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Pig Destroyer--fuck yeah.
What about Kataklysm with Sylvain on vocals? "Maelstrom 2010" is probably one of the most fucking incredible songs ever written.
Also, Anal Blast.

Ninjavenom
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Helm, you've got some mighty good taste, man.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah Helm you do have some good taste there, I like stuff along the same lines just i like some newer stuff, yes i love slipknot and a couple other newer bands. I HATE rap-metal though, biggest pile of shit ever.

Helm
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks dudes. I haven't heard Anal Blast, but judging by the name they can't be that bad.

Zorak: Rap metal had it's moments. Primus, RATM, some RHCP, but nothing that I liked so much as to put on my list, like Britney Spears. Definately not the biggest pile of shit in my book. I mean, there are some real turds, but I think that award goes to moronic norwegian TRVE black metal.

sMG1
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Woo Hoo! More bands to try. Thanks Helm. :rock

Steve1979
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Everyone knows that the Metallica of the 80's and early 90's is the best metal band ever.

Ninjavenom
Feb 6th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Wrong. Are we forgetting the rest of the thrash movement? Megadeth? Sepultura? Come on. I'm a musical retard, and even I know that there were better things then METALLICA.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Hey MayeM and Dark Throne are good, Emperor kicks ass. but besides them not muc helse good came out of the movement.

Ninjavenom
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Are we forgetting the death metal that is derivative of thrash?

Helm
Feb 9th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah Death was originally supposed to be thrash with even more agression. Mayhem, darkthrone, the two bands you mentioned are some of the most stupid music I've ever heard.

CastroMotorOil
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Well i ment good by black metal standards which are pretty low :lol
you can sometimes decipher their lyrics and the guitar sounds cool every now and then. and the one dude from mayhem ate the other guys brains, so that is so fucked up it makes them interesting.

sMG1
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:26 AM
and the one dude from mayhem ate the other guys brains.

Sounds like a Cannibal Corpse song... :lol

CastroMotorOil
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:46 PM
yeah only in real life. Dead, the lead singer i think (i don't really knwo any of the bandmembers names) blew his head off wit ha shotgun. Another guy in the band with a norwegian name snuk into the house before the police got there and took peices of hsi brain and skull, eh then madea necklace of the skull and ate some of the brains.

The Retro Kat
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Jag Panzer
Aventasia
Rhapsody
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Helloween
Nightfall
Death
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquility
Hammerfall
Ozzy Osbourne
Statavarious

That's all that comes to mind right now.

The Retro Kat
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:14 PM
I forgot
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
and Dimmu Borgir

Now thats all I can think off.

Ninjavenom
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Ozzy and Aventasia are the only ones there that haven't been mentioned already. :/

Spectre X
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Rammstein has songs that are Heavy Metal or something

Pub Lover
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Punk, Hardcore, etc
Snot, Dead Kennedys, The Offspring, Subhumans, Dirty Rotten Imbecilles, Grief, Eye Hate God, Iron Monkey, Converge, Discharge, Boy Hits Car, At The Drive-In, Raging Speedhorn, Crumbsuckers, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Killing Joke, Blind Idiot God, Britney Spears, Conflict, Crass.

:lol

The Retro Kat
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Im surprised I was the first one to put down Ozzy, that should be a given.

whoreable
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:08 PM
I suprised people havent told you to SHUT THE FUCK UP. but then again they do.
________
Spice weed (http://syntheticweed.org)

Blackjack
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Yawn.

Metallica, Master of Puppets era.

I've had my say.

UnDeath
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Danzig, Samhain, Cryptopsy, Gwar, Iced Earth, Napalm Death, Nile, Meyham, Deicide, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Zack Wylde's BLS, Slayer, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, Cradle of Filth (I guess), Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Chimaira, and Deicide

Lucas
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Ah... finally Meshuggah is mentioned... so here we go

Bands that are just untouchable:
Meshuggah
At the Gates
Death (Why did you have to go Chuck??? :( )
Morbid Angel
Tool

Bands that are quite good:
Obituary
Carcass
Gorefest
Pleurisy
Emperor
Nile

All out war bands:
the Dillinger Escape Plan
Coalesce
Converge
Agoraphobic Nosebleed (coolest bandname ever too)
Botch
Kataklysm
Soilent Green
Ruins (is it still metal or just fucked up Jazz?)
the Locust
Pretty much everything out on Relapse or Tsadic records.

Hardcore:
Earth Crisis (albeit more nostalgic)
The Year of Our Lord (At the Gates ripoff basically)
Poison the Well
Shai Hulud
Strongarm
Sky Came Falling
Dead Blue Sky
Zao (I still can't believe that voice)

Nostalgic bands:
Pantera
Metallica
Sepultura

Noisecore:
Merzbow
Mike Patton's solo stuff
Shikari (no, not Shakira)... like to see them again...

Eh... what's the point in all of this?

Ninjavenom
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:38 PM
The point? No one's heard of everything, so why not give them a chance to hear new stuff? I always like to find new bands to listen to. Audiogalaxy used to have a great listing of grind bands, and some are still available for download without buying their new damned service. They confuse genres sometimes though, so bear with 'em.
http://audiogalaxy.com/list/index.php?&styleID=26&offset=15

Irwin M. Fletcher
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Mayhem, darkthrone, the two bands you mentioned are some of the most stupid music I've ever heard.
Have you heard all of their shit, though? Newer Mayhem is whacked out, it's not raw, primal black metal at all. And Darkthrone started out as an incredible death metal band before they went Radio Shack sounding black metal. Their first record, "Soulside Journey", is fucking awesome.

Helm
Feb 21st, 2003, 12:53 PM
Death (Why did you have to go Chuck??? )

Overrated. Chuck died. Get over it.

As to Soulside Journey, as a juxtaposition to their black metal stuff, I suppose it's okay tech death metal, but on it's own, standing against Atheist or in the least, Pestilence that album fucking sucks, in my oppinion.

I retain the oppinion that the only black metal bands worth checking out are In The Woods..., Atrox, Ulver and Arcturus.

Skulhedface
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:54 PM
I agree with MOST of Luca's list... here's mine:

Acid Bath
Superjoint Ritual
Sabbatic Feast
Master
Six Feet Under
Jungle Rot
Cradle of Filth
Paradise Lost
Grave
Chidren of Bodom
GWAR
Soulfly
Down
My Ruin
Crowbar
Corrosion of Conformity (the EASIEST metal band to learn to play on guitar)
Despondency

Now you won't find some of them because they're underground... but other than Europe, as far as the US goes, Louisiana is to fucking metal what New Jersey was/is/claims to be for punk. If you can't go to Europe but you still want to go to local god damn GOOD metal shows, come to Louisiana.

Just steer clear of New Orleans. They belong on the Whiny Goth Board.

Generator86
Mar 4th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Jungle Rot? I'm not exactly sure where they hail from, but it's damn close to where I live. They got their start in the same bars that my band has played in.

The drummer from Anal Blast is the same guy that played on Kataklysm's "Temple Of Knowledge". 'Crimson Smell' is flat out wicked by Anal Blast.

Punk--Bad Religion (gods in my opinion), Propagandhi (also gods), Strung Out, I Spy, older Total Chaos, SNFU, Bracket(yeah, I know they're pretty poppy sounding, but I like 'em), FYP, Loranhein(although they're also considered metal).

I wish I could remember more, but back in my halycon days, I was just a little Epitaph/Fat Wreck nerd.

Helm
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Corrosion of Conformity (the EASIEST metal band to learn to play on guitar)

Pretty much true. But Animosity fucking rules.

Skulhedface
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Definitely.

On a side note, I made sure to say that CoC was the easiest METAL band to play on guitar, because I usually get busted in person when I just say "easiest band".

Usually it goes something like this:
"CoC is the easiest band to learn how to play"
"Are you fucking stupid? Nirvana is!"
"OK, well then, CoC is the easiest METAL band to learn how to play"

Helm
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
It's not funny in how CoC aren't exactly Metal.

Skulhedface
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:28 PM
"aren't exactly" is true, but it fits good enough for now. Besides, it doesn't really fit into the "Goth" or "Ska" threads.

Ninjavenom
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:13 PM
I think it's funny how people think it's a good idea to learn Nirvana on guitar. It's also kind of funny how people like to talk about how great Nirvana was. The best thing the band ever did was let Kurt smear his brains across the wall with a twelve gauge.

Skulhedface
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:01 PM
it IS a good idea... for BEGINNERS!! :lol

The Unseen
Mar 10th, 2003, 02:31 PM
i cannot fuckin believe that no one said GWAR until Skulhedface, even Helm's massive list missed it

Glorfindel
Mar 10th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Angra
Avantasia
Blind Guardian
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas
Dionysus
Dream Theater
Edguy
Elvenking
Freedom Call
HIM
Iron Maiden
Lake of Tears
Lost Horizon
Meatloaf
Nightwish
Rhapsody
Secret Sphere
Shaman
Sirenia
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Summoning
The Sins of thy Beloved
Skyclad
Theatre of Tragedy
Trail of Tears
Tristania
Luca Turilli
Vintersorg

CTX
Mar 17th, 2003, 07:24 PM
No Shadows Fall? I'm suprised, they really are one of the few really talented true metal bands to come out in the last few years..

Some others I'm not sure were listed:

Cathedral, Paradise Lost, (I'm not a fan of those "I hate my life, kill me please, tear tear lyrics :lol but these bands have a great sound) HammerFall, and Stratovarius.

Helm
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Why I didn't have GWAR on my list:

I don't like GWAR.

Oh, and CTX, I'd appreciate it if you didn't say that this and that band are of the few talented bands to come out in the last few years, since you really know very little about the metal scene.

Lord Darian
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:38 PM
I have to agree that shadows fall is good but not one of the best. This list is just my opinion. I listen to mostly alternative stuff so my list may not be as good as someone who always listens to metal.

Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian
candlemass
motorhead
megadeth
In Flames
D.R.I
Black Sabbath
Dream Theater
Old Metallica
Anthrax
Poison
donna summers

thats all I can think of I'm sure theres more I just don't know of it.

dreist
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:20 PM
i didn`t know that metalheads in sweden listen to DIE VERBANNTEN KINDER EVA`S :/
What do you think of the latest Lake of Tears/the Neonai. I think it`s pretty shit. Headstones is one of my favorite albums.
bands that don´t suck are:
Primordial
Lake of Tears / old stuff
Anathema
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Dewin Townsend
Falconer
Mithotyn
Amon Amarth
Ensiferum
Kalmah
No Return
Darkane
Samael
In Flames
Satyricon
Obtest

Ninjavenom
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Kalmah
In Flames
Satyricon

Good calls.

Helm
Mar 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Satyricon are insanely bad. I can't believe anyone falls for either their newer pseudo intellectual harshness, or their older naive romantic BLAEK MAETL!!!111!! stuff. Absolutely awful.

Ninjavenom
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:37 PM
STFU >:

honestly, though, I can't really argue with a guy who buys more albums than i'll ever dream of owning, so maybe their cds are terrible, but the two songs i heard aren't that bad. :/

dreist
Mar 20th, 2003, 04:10 PM
the new album VOLCANO is really good. song like "fuel for hatred" or "possessed" are one of the best black metal hymns ever. the whole album is one red thread.
black metal ist krieg
krieg ist scheiße
black metal ist geil

Mütiilation
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:24 AM
First and foremost i'd just like to say that my list is going to appear quite goofy, i've been called a black metal elitst on a few boards... though i enjoy power metal so that can't be possible... its a wonder i listen to metal at all with the utter lack of a scene here in southern virginia

Xasthur
Wyrd
Wurdulak
Winter Nerve
Windir
Uruk-Hai
Ulver (i prefer the older stuff)
Totenburg
Thy Serpent
Thy Infernal
Tairach
Taake
Summoning
Selbstmord
Seigneur Voland
Satyricon (if you ignore how horrible Reble Extravaganza was)
Satanic Warmaster
Samael
Old Wainds
Pantheon
Nokturnal Mortum
Nazgul
Nargoroth
Naglfar
Mütiilation (obviously i like this band heh)
Mork Gryning
Moonblood
Judas Iscariot
Isengard
Immortal
Horna
Harvist
Grom
Graveland
Gorgoroth
Funeral Mist
Frostmoon
Exhumed
Eucharist
Emperor
Einsatz Kommando
Darkthrone
Burzum :)
Blut Aus Nord
Bilskirnir
Bathory
Arcturus
Aeternus
Abyssic Hate
Absurd
Abigor
Paths of Possessions (had Rich Brunelle of Morbid Angel)
Morbid Angel
Krabathor
Hate Eternal
Immolation
Grave
Nile
God Dethroned
Death
Carcass
At the Gates
Ablaze my Sorrow
Vintersorg
Thyrfing
Fall of the Leafe
Falkenbach
Enslaved
Amon Amarth
Skyfire
Rhapsody :) :)
Iced Earth
Kalmah
Demons and Wizards
Blind Guardian

Helm
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
black metal ist krieg
krieg ist scheiße
black metal ist geil

Ugh. 'Black metal hymns'? Okay, I have nothing to say to you.

Burzum :)

No, it's :( Burzum :( or maybe >: Burzum >:, but definately not " Burzum :) "

Mütiilation
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM
well if you want people to dissect other peoples opinions as you've done here, i could go through and rip a few members posts up with my own view of things, but i've already acknowledged that its my view, not theirs, and my point of view means nothing to them, as it shouldn't. Your list wasn't exactly par with my tastes either, afterall :)

I was speaking in reference to the lovely Aske-Burzum era of good black metal, i.e. "My Journey to the Stars" is a good track. I don't consider Varg and his Casio keyboard metal, nor burzum. But the actual metal burzum shall always be :) in mine eyes, for they have seen the glory.

i'm also adding "Einherjer" to the list, not necessarily metal, but its still a good band.

Helm
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
I was making a joke over how burzum :) is an oxymoron, given the nature of the band more than actually judging your taste in music, but what the hell.

I dislike Burzum for political reasons, not musical anyway. Their musical stylings, as employed by early In The Woods... captivate me like no other black metal band.

But I can't pay a racist killer no matter what his music is, you see.

Mütiilation
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
aye, i follow you

i'm not necessarily a biggot but i have no problem buying say... Moonblood or Graveland albums. I'm not for or against other races, they're there, and thats it. Having pride in your country/ethnicity/race is kind of odd in itself, you can't controll where you are born, or from what family/race/etc. Always struck me as odd.

Ninjavenom
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:33 PM
I listened to a few Angry Arayans songs before. I thought it was kind of funny, but i felt pretty bad having songs like "cleanse the homeland" and "******s must die" on my computer. The music sucked anyway. That's my story. :/

Mütiilation
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
ha what band would that be?

i think new graveland is wonderful, it sounds like bathory

bands like pantheon aren't exactly great, and they have an overly racist message. I don't know, i'll listen to it if its good.

Flakktrooper
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:37 AM
What about Canible Corpse. Tell me you dont like Skull Full Of Maggots and not be lying.

Helm
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Canible Corpse.

Okay.

Umm... what were we saying?

Oh, about racist music. For me, the ideology of the person making the music ties in with the music itself at some parts, and you can tell. And then as Ninjavenom said, you feel sad for having funded in any way those people. Be wary of 'extreme' bands in general. Those that take themselves completely seriously feel the need to follow up their extreme music with some 'extreme' ideology of sorts. Bands like Antaeus, for example.

Mütiilation
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Antaeus was brilliant in Cut yourself and worship satan though haha

plus, that just makes for a great t-shirt :)

Helm
Mar 28th, 2003, 03:28 AM
whatever

Big Papa Goat
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Progressive Metal
Fates Warning, Queensryche, Savatage, Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower, Pain Of Salvation, Shadow Gallery, Aghora, Maohni Moahna, Sieges Even, Dysrhythmia, Last Crack, latter day Heir Apparent, Maggelan, Spastic Ink, Vauxdvhil, Threshhold, Confessor, Lethal, Depressive Age, Quite Room, Mekong Delta, Jester's March, Believer, Abraxxas (I've only heard their e.p Shattered by a Terrible Prediction, but that very impressive prog-power), Cynic, Atheist, Coroner, Sadus, Seer's Tear (much like Psychotic Waltz), Crimson Glory, Spiral Architect (Fates Warning vocals meet Watchtower zanyness), Lord bane, Anacrusis, Black Jester, Cacophony, Conception, Thought Industry, Kalaban, Mordred, Savior Machine, Tiles, Varga, Damn The Machine.

Progressive Rock
Altura, Anekdoten, Asia, Bedful of Metaphysicians, Cairo, Can, Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, Caravan, Camel, Clockhammer, David Cross and assorted bands, Cynic, deathORGAN, Al Di Meola and assorted bands, Einsturzende Neubauten, Eloy, ELP, Enchant, Exodus (polish, not american thrash band), Experimental, Fates Warning, Fish (first solo record only), Garden Wall, Gentle Giant, Gordian Knot, Allan Holdsworth, IQ, Ithaka, King Crimson - get everything, Kraftwerk, Leviathan (USA), Lucifer Was, Maggelan, Magma, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Marillion, Nektar, Mike Oldfield, Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine Tree, Psychotic Waltz, Quill, Rush, Shadow Gallery, Sieges Even, Soft Machine, St. Elmo's Fire, Supertramp, Tangerine Dream, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Van der Graaf Generator, Voivod, Watchtower, Yes, Frank Zappa.

I think you forgot Dream Theater

Ninjavenom
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:27 PM
psst... Athiest = Thrash.

DecapitatedHate
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Anaal Nathrakh

The One and Only...
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Dark Funeral, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Cannibal Corpse, Haemorhhage, Dead Infection, Pig Destroyer, Marduk, Scar Culture, Electric Wizard, Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Nile, Exhumed, Grave, Napalm Death, early Carcass, Noism, Bane.

There's more, I just can't think of all of them off the top of my head. And check out the band of a guy off another forum - Bloody Anal Yeast Infection.

BTW: What's the appeal of noisecore? It doesn't sound heavy to me at all, just random and noisy.

Helm
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:40 PM
I did not forget Dream Theater. I just don't like them that much. Not that they suck, but they're not anything special in my oppinion.

And Atheist, if not progressive can be said to be Jazz Death. Certainly not Thrash.

Ninjavenom
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Jazz Death does sound more fitting, but what i've heard off of Unquestionable Presence makes me think of thrash. I've heard nothing else of theirs, so i can see where my comment might looks ridiculous. Perhaps i should listen to some of their other stuff?

kahljorn
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:53 PM
SLIPKNOT AND LINKIN PARK LEET UBER METAL, LEET UBER. DID I MENTION LEET UBER.

And somebody who listens to Cynic, the lounge music of Metal ;) try aghora, same idea, just with a chick on mic.

Helm
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Most of their stuff sounds the same. Unquestionable is their best, followed by Elements. Sounds like jazzy death metal to me.

kahljorn
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Try Ephel Duath, they are my favorite Jazz Metal band. The painter one. I hate to spam it so, I love them though. With whipcream.

Go now.

I have Focus.

But you're talking about Atheist. I have no fucking clue how anyone could consider atheist Jazzetal. I'm listening to t hem now, trying to get the jazzetal vibe, it's not coming. Skittles are tasty, but not the tropical ones, they make me think of some crappy fruity liquor, it makes me vomit twice, then again in some whore's hair.

I think you think their bass solos are jazzy.

Grim Symphony
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Personally, I love metal, all kinds, all the time.
Anorexia Nervosa, Fog, Eclipse Eternal, Amon Amoarth, Iced Earth, Enslaved, Macabre, Hypocricy, Pain, Fantomas, In Flames (just saw them last night), Arch Enemy, Mortiis, Burzum, old Mayhem (with Dead), Death, Witchery, old Dimmu Borgir, Summoning, Nile, Immortal, Nevermore, and Enslavement of Beauty.

The One and Only...
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:51 PM
HE LIKES DIMMU BORGIR! GET HIM!

imported_anarchynexplosives
Aug 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM
I think it goes without saying that ALL Metallica albums from Load onwards suck.

The Retro Kat
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM
HE LIKES DIMMU BORGIR! GET HIM!

You don't? You sick fuck.

farbour
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Nobody mentioned Zeni Geva? Long live samurai grindcore!

DecapitatedHate
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Do you have a link to where I may be able to d/l a track from them? I only ask because I can't find them on kazaa.

farbour
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:22 AM
alternativetentacles.com should have what you're looking for.

Perndog
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Symphony X. And Finntroll.

Oh, and can someone explain some of these classifications to me? For one, I see Cynic in the same post under both Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal. I get Heavy Metal and Black Metal (being a fan of both), but what's the difference between Thrash and Power Metal? Death and Doom metal? Noise, Grind, Industrial?

farbour
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Perndog, try doing a style search at allmusic.com

Ninjavenom
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:58 AM
I honestly can't give you definitions to each, just good examples to compare each to. I don't know enough about metal to be able to scientifically explain what composes each genre, you'll have to wait for Helm for that.

Thrash: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, and Anthrax. Sepultura andMetallica's first few albums and Anthrax pre-Public Enemy stuff would be considered thrash, but none of their latter work. See also: S.O.D., M.O.D., Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Psychotic Waltz (if you can obtain something of good sound quality), Sentenced, and Sodom.

Death: Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide and Obituary are the Florida Four of this style. See also: Dismember, Entombed, Posessed, Brujeria, Cannibal Corpse, Blood, Exhumed, Pungent Stench, Autopsy, Bloodbath, and Nile.

Black: Black Metal's not really my forté, so i don't know anything about its founding fathers. Good bands that i know of include In The Woods..., ...And Oceans, Arcturus, Burzum, Antaeus, Anaal Nathrakh, and Angel Corpse. I've been told that At the Gates are Death and Melodic Death and all that shit, but i think they remind me more of BM than anything else. One of those genre-benders, methinks.

Doom: Traces of Sabbath can be seen in all of these bands. Sabbath and Pentagram might be seen as two founders of this genre. Also try Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Bongzilla, Sloth, Cathedral, Eyehategod and Iron Monkey.

Grind: Carcass and Napalm Death are revered on this scene, with Terrorizer and Agathocles also being oldsies. New bands include Anal Cunt, Gerogerigegege, Nasum, Bolt Thrower, Pig Destroyer, Brutal Truth, Asshole Parade, Cattle Decapitation, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, and Phobia.

Power: Don't know about the founders of this either, but it's like modern Glam Metal. Check out Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Avantasia, and Manowar.

Sludge: See Doom.

Gore: See Death, add very descriptive lyrics about killing people. :)

Industrial: I don't know much about it, nor do i care to know. Fear Factory are the only band in this genre that i know.

Prog Metal: I avoid it.

Noise: Another word for Grind. They're the same thing.

Heavy Metal: Old shit with clean vocals. Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are the only ones i can think of. I don't care for either of them.

Hair: All the cheesy 80's shit. Twisted Sister and Manowar are the shining examples here.

farbour
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Most industrial isn't really even metal. Some bands just use metal guitar riffs to add a more menacing tone to their music(Ministry, Nitzer ebb and Front Line Assemby for example)
And, while all grind groups can be considered noise, not all noise groups can be considered grind.
(Zeni Geva could be considered grind; but you couldn't with good conscience call Pachinko grind)

and you forgot
stoner Rock:see also doom

Mr. Vagiclean
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Iron maiden- sun & steel! whoohoo!!!!1111one one uno

The Retro Kat
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:06 AM
THANKS FOR THE IMPUT, MISTER!

...you useless fuck.

Everything Sucks
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Why has no-one mentioned Rage Against the Machine? I'm no metal-head, but they're definatly my fav. metal band. I don't think Tool has been mentioned either, they rock too

Ninjavenom
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:51 PM
SIGH...

MrAdventure
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM
EVEYRTHING SUCKS IS SO SELF-INCLUSIVE THAT IT NEGATES HIS OPINION ON EVERYTHING ELSE >: >:

WHAT A FAG

Big Papa Goat
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Rage against the Machine is hardly metal. And Tool is a damn sight away from metal. This is important to remember.

kahljorn
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I was listening to dark side of the spoon earlier, not a bad album. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH I WISH I COULD TAKE YOU TO THE BETTY FORD CLINIC WITH ME.

I've heard melvins could be considered industrial. Good ol' melvins.

Everything Sucks
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:16 PM
SIGH...

I just don't get it, don't I?

DecapitatedHate
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Not at all.