PDA

View Full Version : Possible Hacker

Cap'n Crunch
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:49 AM
I think I figured out that my mouse problem was a hacker. I put in the system disk, which deleted all of my computer files, and then restored the computer to it's original state. Is the hacker still in my computer, or can he still get through after I deleted everything?

Esuohlim
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:53 AM
DON'T GIVE A FUCK

imported_Wicked Steve
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:16 AM
In general, messing with someone's personal computer is about at the bottom of a CRacker's priority list (and a hacker is busy programming, not causing trouble) - they'd sooner just write a virus that would make it look like your computer was being controlled. Unless you know specific people who would be likely (and able) to access your computer, it's almost certain that your problem was caused by something else.

And if someone got into your system once, wiping the hard drive is not going to prevent them from doing it again. For that (and I wouldn't bother) you need a firewall.

Cap'n Crunch
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I found out that I had a virus on my computer called W32/Jeefo. It made the file sizes increase, and I think it made my mouse get screwy. I got rid of it, and then rebooted my computer. Nothing has happened yet, and I don't think anything will. :)

I also updated my virus scanning software and my fire wall.

KILLADEUCE
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Not a bad idea, I agree a 'hacker" prolly wouldnt give much thought into manipulating youre mouse, although it can be quite easy with a backdoor and some RAS programs (liek vnc or PCA)

Chances are the virus was cuasing the issue, i have seen many cases where wierd anomalies were reported that could only be explained by an infection.

just fyi, if you want a second opine on if you are infected, check out this free Online scanner from Trend Micro (Makers of PCcillin) I recommend this to all of our customers usually:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

whoreable
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM
ah how i miss the good ol days of netbus