PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Tags

King Hadas
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if maybe we already have this and I'm just to much of a fool to realize it. If not I think it'd be a good idea to implement them, personally I don't enjoy feeling like I've been assigned a creative writing project every time I need to insert a spoiler warning.

Guitar Woman
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Second.

MarioRPG
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Are we talking the kind you click or the kind you highlight.
Woah flashback.

MLE
Jan 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM
I think there should be an expandable tag that you click it and it automatically opens up and puts in the rest of the text. Like:

This is what the tag would look like:
SPOILER whatever the person wants to describe the spoiler as (public knowledge stuff)

And then click it and it changes to:
SPOILER
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
SPOILER

Guitar Woman
Jan 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I like how 4chan does it, where the spoiler'd text is blacked out and only reveals it's SCANDALOUS SECRETS when you move your mouse over it.

MLE
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I don't like that version. I'm talking about almost like a livejournal cut type of thing.

MarioRPG
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't like that version. I'm talking about almost like a livejournal cut type of thing.
Ie, what I said (type you click).

The blacked out ones have compatibility issues for older internet explorers and several other browsers.

Guitar Woman
I have no idea what that is

Guitar Woman
The Livejournal thing, that is.

Also, why haven't you upgraded to 7 yet, it's gr8

Mockery
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
How about we have another contest in the art forum for a "SPOILER ALERT" image. Nothing too huge or whatever, but whichever one we go with, I'll set it up as a :spoiler emoticon that we can use wherever we want.

Sound good?

MLE
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I think we need to have it so the spoiler isn't in text on the page until something is clicked, because some people do browse the site from sidekicks and other phones, and they don't have nearly the same compatibility. Maybe make it so instead of it saying spoiler, we can have an image, but I still think it really needs something clickable instead of just highlighting the text a different color.

King Hadas
Jan 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
How about we have another contest in the art forum for a "SPOILER ALERT" image. Nothing too huge or whatever, but whichever one we go with, I'll set it up as a :spoiler emoticon that we can use wherever we want.

Sound good?
Do you mean an emoticon that just says Spoiler Warning, without actually covering up any text? That's not very useful to be honest.

executioneer
Jan 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
:eek (http://it is if you know how to do secrats) < SPOILERS

Emu
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I know that some forums have a spoiler cut where you just click a button and it shows you the cut text if you choose to see it.

I REMEMBER SUGGESTING THIS A YEAR AGO TOO

MarioRPG
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
No, it's like a tag in forum code. We have it at another forum I frequent. You just type right here
And you have to click on it to view it. Not an image.

MLE
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
I think it would be handy to go the extra mile and have it create an image, that way it is easily recognizeable. It might have been an option on phpbb, but if it was, I never saw it used on here.

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Okay, here we go...

Looking up vBulletin spoiler tags, I found something that just may work. Here's the basic thingy:

I'm spoiled, like all you assholes with one of each console system that appeared in the market between 1925 and 2054, a huge plasma TV to play them on, and your parents paid for it all because you don't have a job.

Help me test it!

This version of it is short and sweet. I'm not going to modify it aesthetically until I'm sure it works how you people want.

The tags are Spoiler content. That "id" may have to be unique on EACH page in the forum, not just in each post. Please play around with it, don't yell about how it looks, simply see if it functions like the majority of you would like it to work.

http://www.i-mockery.com/Cfr5/havemysupport.gif

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
I HAVE GOT A THOUSAND WEINERS

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
THIS ONE I DIDT PUT AN ID ON DOES IT STILL WORK

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
WHOPS

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, it's going to need an id or clicking the button won't know what to show or hide.

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
what about if i use duplicate tags what then

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
haha and using the same id it only opens the first one on the page when you click a button

you may be able to get away with only changing the tag if you post two spoilers or more in a page

executioneer
lets see

Fathom Zero
I just ate a tripple whopper and barfed!

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
test

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
what doews this one do

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
yeah it looks like it just has to be unique on the page you're viewing

Mockery
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Generally speaking there shouldn't be more than one spoiler on a page anyway, usually by the person who starts a thread. But yeah, you'll obviously want to still try giving your spoiler tags a unique name each time.

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
ideally just use your username or something like that, and add a number after that if you post more than one

HA HA I FUCKED UP THAT OTHER SPOILER

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
of course this adds the fun game of "try to guess someone's spoiler tag before they post it so that you block what they're trying to post from being seen altogether" but man that game is hard

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Multiple spoilers per page would work though, as long as the id is different for all the spoilers on one page. I would suggest just putting something like your username with a number tacked on the end for your own spoilers and then hope that nobody else is a jerk and uses your name and numbers as well.

If you do do this, keep in mind that some users may have a different posts-per-page amount than you do, so don't recycle ids for spoilers that would be close together in a thread.

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
CURSE MY SLOW TYPING

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
FUCK YOU, SLOW TYPING! SCREW YOU

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
oh hey another possible thing: if you want to make a spoiler MEGA SECRET using the same code a second time will require someone to QUOTE IT to actually see what you wrote

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
another thing is that if someone goes back and edits their post after someone posts a spoiler they can put a spoiler above the other persons spoiler with the same code and fuck with that spoiler or at least it looks that way

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
No, it's like a tag in forum code. We have it at another forum I frequent. You just type right here
And you have to click on it to view it. Not an image.

whoa what the heck mariorpg did it w/o using a id number

i wonder if i can do it too

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
well i guess that works but again it only works one per page

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Or DOES it?

dgfskjdfghdslkjfghdlksfjgdf

Okay, you can only use a spoiler without an id once per post now.

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
oh! fantastic :eek

it really is :eek

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
does SECREAT LOCKDOWN MODE SPOILERS still work too

YES!
no :(

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
awesome

Cfr5
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I can't do much about ones with the same id... yet. Thanks for all the test-spamming, Code-Wheel, I didn't think the new tags would get fixed up this fast.

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
man no problem, its like how i 'tested' the swear filter when they first switched to vbulletin ;(

Mockery
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.i-mockery.com/newpics/habib-missing.jpg

executioneer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
just out of curiosity could you muck up a similar tag for nsfw stuff? that way ppl could post it and you wouldn't have to navigate away to look @ a link or have the whole thread marked nsfw?

MarioRPG
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Heh, sweet, using the same code I'm used to.

Mockery
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
just out of curiosity could you muck up a similar tag for nsfw stuff? that way ppl could post it and you wouldn't have to navigate away to look @ a link or have the whole thread marked nsfw?
I'd rather just keep the NSFW stuff off the forums period. We already saw how that went to hell in a handbasket when we allowed people to have one thread to get all that stuff out of their system. :x

Guitar Woman
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Well, no, that was just Sevenforce.

Seven Force
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
You see more fucked up shit on that 4chan site you go to so dont even try it

MLE
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
hey Cfr5, can you edit it so there's a large wide image instead? If so, I can just run a different design contest!

Esuohlim
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Spoilers! :(

Cfr5
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
hey Cfr5, can you edit it so there's a large wide image instead? If so, I can just run a different design contest!

Roger made the image that is used right now but it can be changed to whatever. I suppose another contest wouldn't hurt.

MLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Is the only image that's changeable the eye with the show/hide or is the entire thing that's initially visible changeable?

MLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
if it's just the eye with the show and hide, I think that'll do just fine by itself, but if we can make a large spoilers image that's the width of it, it would be nice

Cfr5
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The whole thing can be customized. I just initially copied it from that internet place and it worked so I left it.

MLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
aha ;o How wide would you recommend? 500 px so there's no issue on any monitor?

Cfr5
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Sure, give it a try. If people don't complain when it's changed you're good to go.

MLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Alrighty!