PDA

View Full Version : THE NBA THREAD - THE N STANDS FOR

GADZOOKS
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:05 AM
NICE! :love

This is a thread to talk about the NBA. The nuttiest sport of the Big 4. The playoffs are only a month a way so it's time to talk Finals!

Watching Boston destroy the once invincible Rockets really depressed me today. Boston's record against the West is probably more staggering than their regular season record is. If they get to the Finals they will probably win it. Don't get me wrong, I think Kevin Garnett is awesome but I don't like this for many other reasons.

1) It shows that you can tank a season in the NBA to become a success. The Timberwolves and Grizzlies are in full force of that.

2) If the Celtics or Pistons win, it's going to be the biggest waste of a season for the Western Conference. They are playing phenominal regular season basketball while the Celtics and Pistons are just cruising to the Eastern Finals.

3) James Posey is scumbag.

Anyway, my guess for right now is that the Celtics and the Lakers will be in the finals, which means ESPN is going to hit us over the head with "HEY THESE TEAMS PLAYED ALOT OF FINALS IN THE 60'S AND THE 80'S".

Stupid: At the All-Star break I said there would be a Hornets-Pistons Finals with the Pistons prevailing. Even stupider I said at the beginning of the year that it would be a Bulls-Mavs Final with the Mavs Winning. But at that time I thought the Bulls would at least get Gasol or Kobe. Instead they got eachother I got Drew Gooden.

Who do you think is making the finals. Who do you want making the finals? Did you know Elton Brand screwed over crew members on the Rescue Dawn set?
USEFUL NBA LINKS!!!
DAVID STERN'S OFFICIAL NBA WEBSITE (http://www.nba.com)
NBA Trade Machine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine)
Basketball Reference (http://www.basketball-reference.com/)
HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/)
NBA Game Flows - STAT NERDS ONLY (http://popcornmachine.net/GameFlows.html)
Image of Bill Simmons Face (http://www.aolcdn.com/aolpolltool/sbl-super-bowl-bill-simmons-jamie-mottram)

GADZOOKS
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM
STUPID BASKETBALL VIDEOS

GREAT CHARLES BARKLEY DUNK (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RN_YknAryS0)
T-MAC TIME (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YsOuG4NqaQo)
BRUCE WILLIS AT THE NBA GAME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaKAQLexVE)
SHIIIIIIIT (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hoaMdc8qGho)
STEVE NASH CAUGHT FLOPPING (http://youtube.com/watch?v=n0YwtVYYonI)

RaNkeri
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
The B stands for BABY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWnBk0n5Sjs

:>

ElPila666
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM
THE A STANDS FOR ARGENTINA!

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/220/manu300071121le3.jpg

Manu is Teh King

Pentegarn
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I pretty much think exactly the same thing. The finals will likely be Lakers Vs. Celtics. It will be a good series, but will it be the classic it was in the 80s? I don't believe so. For one thing, most teams these days, as was implied earlier, are going for the "Best team money can buy". Sure there are exceptions, the Spurs for example. But the trend in the NBA (and all of sports for that matter) is to use your money to build a super squad to win right now, generate interest and through that, money. Consequently, that takes away the dynasty factor that the Lakers and Celtic both had in the 80s. Another thing that makes me think this series will lack the luster of the 80s is the lack of personalities in it. The Lakers and Celtics had great personalities in the 80s, Jabbar, Bird, Johnson, and Ainge are good examples. The personalities of nowadays just feel much less interesting to me. I will watch, but it will likely make me pine for the NBA of the 80s, which is not coming back. I guess I will have to take what I can get though, and the playoffs will be interesting regardless.

WhiteRat
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I wonder if the Timberwolves, in order to secure a better shot at drafting Michael Beasley, give Mark Madsen the order to shoot and miss 7 threes in one game like he did last year.

Also, I found this amusing video on Kevin Garnett being drafted right out of high school. Note Isiah Thomas' hilarious plan for Garnett.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ol3JLceeHRE&feature=related

Colonel Flagg
Mar 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I wonder what the entire Sixers team has been smoking lately. Back at .500 and ensconced in the playoff picture? I know they'll probably be spanked in the first round, but even so, this is something to build on for next year.

Pentegarn
Mar 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Check it out, David Stern wants to raise the minimum age to enter the NBA!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-sternagelimit032408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Not sure how this makes NBA fans feel, the author of that article is for it. I see it as a good thing for college basketball though. sophomore stars will help make for better teams which is always good for the game and the fans

Colonel Flagg
Mar 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Woo Hoo! The Sixers crack .500 for the first time this season. And by beating Boston at home!

Yeah, they'll still probably get booted out of the first round of the playoffs, but this is hugely better than they were predicted to do at the beginning of the season - I think SI had them next-to-last in the Eastern Conference.

Pentegarn
Mar 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Woo Hoo! The Sixers crack .500 for the first time this season. And by beating Boston at home!

Yeah, they'll still probably get booted out of the first round of the playoffs, but this is hugely better than they were predicted to do at the beginning of the season - I think SI had them next-to-last in the Eastern Conference.

Right now pound for pound the Sixers are one of the more interesting things going in the NBA

Colonel Flagg
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Check it out, David Stern wants to raise the minimum age to enter the NBA!

[...link...]

Not sure how this makes NBA fans feel, the author of that article is for it. I see it as a good thing for college basketball though. sophomore stars will help make for better teams which is always good for the game and the fans

I agree. However, this may already de facto be happening. With the globalization of the draft becoming more the rule rather than the exception the pool of talent is becoming ever larger. Kids who might have toyed with the idea of coming out early (or even fresh out of high school) are staying in college. So while I think Stern has a good point, it might already be moot.

Well, we'll know for sure in 2 years, when the CBA gets renegotiated.

WhiteRat
Mar 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Chris Webber retired again today after a short 9 day comeback with the Warriors. It's hard to believe that he played 15 years in the league already. Seems like yesterday when he was inadvertently calling extra timeouts.

Pentegarn
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Chris Webber retired again today after a short 9 day comeback with the Warriors. It's hard to believe that he played 15 years in the league already. Seems like yesterday when he was inadvertently calling extra timeouts.

Webber's inability to count timeouts has been a source of amusement for me for years :lol

Colonel Flagg
Apr 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hey, is this the thread to start handcapping the playoffs, now that March Madness is winding down?

I'm looking for the Sixers to somehow secure the 5th seed and perchance play Cleveland in the first round. I think this is the only possible matchup that could get them to round two, where they undoubtedly will get smoked.

Boston is the real deal, and will come out of the East, while the West is a crapshoot - the Lakers always seem to play their best ball in the Spring, but SA has been playing well. Hell, even the 8 seed in the West will have a legitimate shot. And where did New Orleans come from?

What do you all think?

Pentegarn
Apr 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I stand by my original prediction. Lakers vs. Celtics. That said, I would much rather see the Suns vs. the Cavs :)

GADZOOKS
Apr 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, I am editing this post but only because I want to go more in depth....later.

Pentegarn
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:50 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080415/sp_nm/basketball_anthony_dc_2

Wow, Carmelo Anthony caught drinking and driving. Come on Carmelo, you're better than that, or at least you should be. Word is he has since apologized for it, but he needs to not do something so lacking in judgement in the first place. All I can hope is he really is sorry and has learned from this.

Colonel Flagg
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
NBA = Not Being Astute

StalfrosGR
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
THE A STANDS FOR ARGENTINA!

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/220/manu300071121le3.jpg

Manu is Teh King

Manu has Kobe like numbers off of the BENCH. One thing I know about the Spurs, then they turn it on it is hard for any team to stop them- I think last night was a little preview for the Suns. They hosted a playoff clinic for Denver and I don't see anybody beating them in less than 7 games this year.

WhiteRat
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Now that the T-wolves gracefully finished the season at 22-60, my interest in the NBA is 0.0002 units of Giving A Shit.

Colonel Flagg
Apr 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
My interest is a little higher than this; admittedly, the Sixers did finish below .500, but still secured the 7 seed, which means they'll be booted by Detroit in round one.

Tell me, WR, what is your take on what Kevin McHale did to the Wolves? I'm thinking he's channeling the departed soul of Red Auerbach in some sort of Satanic mind control thing. Was there any rhyme or reason to his decimation of what could have been a respectable franchise?

WhiteRat
Apr 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
He drafted KG. That seemed to work out fine. He drafted Ray Allen and then traded him for Marbury minutes later. He entered into illegal contract negations with Joe Smith, which led to the NBA stripping us of 3 first round draft picks (which fucked us over pretty badly in the long run). He gave up on Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell after only 2 seasons (Sprewell could've gone...but ditching Cassell was a bad move). Trading for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount....yeah, that worked out just fine for us...

With that said, I will say that trading Garnett was a necessary move. Having only advanced past the first round of the playoffs once in Garnett's tenure as well as his huge contract eating most of the cap space, it was time for KG to move on. To tell you the truth, I'll take Al Jefferson over Garnett any day of the week. He's a 20 and 10 guy with a lot more upside at only 23 years of age.

After all that McHale is looked at by most minny fans as being a huge fuckwad that needs to step down/get fired. People are just tired of his Celtics fetish and his other related shit.

PS - forgot to mention that he drafted Brandon Roy and traded him later that night for Randy Foye. WTF.

Colonel Flagg
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Philadelphia 90
Detroit 86

WTF? How the hell did that happen? Iguodala had a crappy shooting game from the field and Dalembert didn't fare much better, yet they still managed to come from 13 down at halftime to win by 4.

So much for the Sixers getting smoked - looks like they'll give Motown a series. My interest is piqued.

Geggy
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm just waiting for the 2nd round of playoffs where the real action will begin. The celtics are going to detroy the hawks. :zzzz

Pentegarn
Apr 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm just waiting for the 2nd round of playoffs where the real action will begin. The celtics are going to detroy every team they play till the NBA Finals. :zzzz

Fixed :)

Geggy
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Tell you the truth, I think the magic who I predict will advance to the next round is a match made for the celtics. They did manhandled them twice in the reg season.

Colonel Flagg
Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Who the Sam Hill scheduled the 2008 NBA playoffs anyway? At this rate, they'll be finishing game 7 of the finals just in time for the Olympics. >:

Colonel Flagg
Apr 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ouch. That was quite the ass-whuppin'. I guess the Pistons were Pissed-Off.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
So, I just out from my friend that there's no more Charlotte Hornets. I know this sounds stupid but I haven't really checked on basketball since NBA jam: TE. Is there anything else huge I've missed out on?

thebiggameover
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
NBA=MOFIA....

Pentegarn
Apr 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
NBA=MOFIA....

I think you confused the NBA with the 2001 Baltimore Ravens :lol

Geggy
Apr 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Looks like the two of the stupidest trades of the year didn't work out for the mavs and the suns...bwahahahaha

Celtics :(

Colonel Flagg
May 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Ummm ... the Celts sure don't look like world beaters anymore. They don't even look like Hawk beaters, a team they swept during the regular season. Game 7 is Sunday.

I originally thought they would represent the East in the finals, and now I'm thinking they will have trouble getting past Cleveland. WTF?

WhiteRat
May 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I am shocked that the series has went to game 7. I along with everyone else assumed the Celtics would make quick work of the Hawks. I guess Josh Smith wasn't batshit insane when he said that the Hawks would "shock the world."

Colonel Flagg
May 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Maybe not shock "the world" but they sure shocked me. :eek

All the pundits on ESPN picked the Celts in 4 or at most 5 games. So in reality, they're no better than us at picking these things.

Geggy
May 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
The hawks were like a bad hemorroid on the ass that was hard to get rid of. The Celts sure creamed them with preparation H yesterday. I'm concerned since that the first round was dragged into game 7, how much energy left the Celts will have in the rest of the post season. As long they have home court advantage, maybe I shouldnt be too concerned.

Pentegarn
May 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I think the Celtics will be just fine.

They obvioulsy underestimated the Hawks and did not bring their "Playoff game" when the Hawks clearly did. They will not likely make that mistake again,

Colonel Flagg
May 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Problem is, they made that mistake 3 times in the Hawks series. The Cavs are a different story, with legitimate props, so methinks that even once will be too many. Not that I have any rooting interest, but I'd like to see a good series from both teams.

Geggy
May 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It should be a good series considering the two teams split 2-2 in the regular season. Also the cavs has two former celtics, delonte west and wally sczerbiak, from last year whom were traded to the sonics for ray allen then went to the cavs in mid season in part of the trade that also brought ben wallace and joe smith into the squad. wouldn't it be just hilarious if the cavs had won?

WhiteRat
May 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Poor Spurs. The Hornets sure giving them the "sting"! Oh har har har, I'm about as funny as former big man Jim Mcilvaine pulling up for a three!
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/JerkDouglas/224904.jpg

Geggy
May 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
The hornets are one of the year's biggest surprises, the other being miami heat. :lol

Game one of celts and cavs series was one of the ugliest games i have ever witnessed. It was the first time ray allen didn't score a point in a game in 11 years. The total final score not far from the lowest scoring game in postseason ever. The lowest ever in postseason (with 24 second clock) was 66-64, celts over pistons in 2002 at boston garden. I expect lebron to get hot tonight. He must be steaming pissed by his own poor performance and celts' numero uno defense from game one.

Geggy
May 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM
i just love it when i am wrong :)

Colonel Flagg
May 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Looks like the Cavs just won't roll over and play dead. And LeBron is still shooting like crap. Let's see if they can repeat the performance in game 4, shall we?

Anyone paying attention to what's going on out west? Or are we just waiting for the Lakers to win it?

Pentegarn
May 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Anyone paying attention to what's going on out west? Or are we just waiting for the Lakers to win it?

Them or the Hornets

Colonel Flagg
May 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Maybe we're assuming too much - the way the Jazz played this afternooon, maybe all they need to do is to steal one at LA to knock off the bastards.

I hate the Lakers.

WhiteRat
May 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Although I dislike the Minneapolis Lakers, i'm not to fond of the New Orleans Jazz either.

Colonel Flagg
May 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
:lol

I always thought it was dumb to keep the names of teams when they changed cities. It would make sense for the team from Utah to be called the Hornets (the Beehive State) and NO to be called the Jazz, but that would be too logical.

Pentegarn
May 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
By that logic the Lakers would be called the LA Smog and the Clippers would be called the LA Plastic Surgery

WhiteRat
May 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
What the hell does "Clippers" even mean? I always figured it to be an old 1800's clipper sailing ship.

Colonel Flagg
May 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Yes. Back when they were an expansion franchise in San Diego, they were named with that city's harbor history in mind. At least, that's how I remember it. But I'm gettin' old ....

Pentegarn
May 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I believe that's accurate actually

Colonel Flagg
May 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Not that it matters too much; Los Angeles or San Diego, they still suck.

Colonel Flagg
May 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
So, it's the Pistons vs ..... in the East. :\

WhiteRat
May 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
If the Cavs can take 1 win out of Boston they've got this thing locked up. Wait a sec...If the Celtics take 1 out of Cleveland, then they've got this thing locked up as well...Who's it gonna be kiddos?

MattJack
May 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Dear Spurs,

Please die.

KTHNX
MattJack

PS Robert Horry, you are a son of a bitch.

Pentegarn
May 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Dear Spurs,

Please die.

KTHNX
MattJack

PS Robert Horry, you are a son of a bitch.

You may get your wish, they might die soon, though it will likely be from old age :lol

WhiteRat
May 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM
The Cavs and Celts are tied up. Given the current trend as of late in the playoffs, the Celts will win the series and will continue to soak up all of the media attention.

PS - To hell with "the gay 3".

Colonel Flagg
May 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
...and Minneapolis goes to the West finals again.

Talk about gay....

Colonel Flagg
May 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Fuck the Celtics. >:

I have no one left to root for, except maybe the Hornets. If they can get by the Lakers.

WhiteRat
May 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I really wanted to see the Celtics go down. Now it's up to Detroit to do the deed. I'm also rooting for Charlotte to to face the Pistons in the Finals.

Geggy
May 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM
nba season is over for you guys, move along now

Pentegarn
May 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM
The Celts aren't in yet. If they keep playing below their potential like this, the Pistons could knock them off. That said, i still think the Celtics are going to the finals, but now I believe, as Dennis Green would say, "THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE" :lol

Geggy
May 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Ray allen sure found a hell of a time to go on a slump. Hopefully he will break out in this series and give pistons a whipping otherwise there will be trouble fo' the celts.

Pentegarn
May 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Truth be told I think this next series the Celtics will turn it on like fire. Too bad for them the Lakers will likely beat them in the end though. They are going to be too beaten up for a matchup with LA I think.

Geggy
May 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
After the celts' performance last night, i think the series will most likely go 5-6 games, celts take all. They'll have to win at least one on the road, dammit. Winning one on the road would feel like winning the champ.

Dunno about lakers beating the celts in the finals, though, considering the celts owned the lakers, beating them by double digits twice over the reg season but then its an entirely different atmosphere in the postseason, so who knows

Pentegarn
May 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Honestly, I think the Celts will be too gassed for the finals. It will most likely go 7 games, and had they not had to go 7 in the 2 previous series, I would be in agreement with you, but the Lakers are different post season than they are regular season. Kobe has shown he can drop 80 in a game when it needs to happen, and while I don't expect him to hit 80 against the Celtics, I don't think 50 is out of the question for him, add to the fact that he has help around him now that is worth a crap, and you have a tough challenge.

Truth be told, I would rather see Boston win it than LA, I just don't feel in my heart right now that they can win the finals.

Colonel Flagg
May 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
After the celts' performance last night, i think the series will most likely go 5-6 games, celts take all. They'll have to win at least one on the road, dammit. Winning one on the road would feel like winning the champ.

Uh, now they need to win 2 games on the road to close it out in 5 games. :lol

WhiteRat
May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Uh, now they need to win 2 games on the road to close it out in 5 games. :lol

Once again Garnett goes home without a championship. :love

Pentegarn
May 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like the Spurs are who we thought they were.... old and broken

pac-man
May 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
They are who we thought they were!!!

pac-man
May 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's going to be a 7 game series between the Celts and Pistons if Detroit can hold on for the next 5:00 minutes.

GADZOOKS
May 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Guess why I am happy, guys?

pac-man
May 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Spurs/Lakers game 4, final shot by Brent Barry...

I think he was fouled, I think it was a huge no-call, and I think had it been Kobe or a flopper like Ginobli it would've been called. The Spurs only have themselves to blame for being down 3-1, but that doesn't excuse Joey "I hate Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs" Crawford for watching a guy get mugged and not making the call.

END RANT

Pentegarn
May 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Guess why I am happy, guys?

Because you are pleased with your snazzy new avatar?

Because finally milk is cheaper per gallon than gas is?

Because those bastards, they blew it up, damn them, damn them all to hell?

pac-man
May 29th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Anyone else think that 'Sheed will be sitting out game 7?

GADZOOKS
May 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
No, because there won't be a game 7 because the Pistons blow at home.

pac-man
May 30th, 2008, 04:33 AM
The league and TV networks have half of their dream final in place with LA winning. The series should be 3-2 (thanks for the apology, Tim Frank). With Rip Hamilton hurt and the Pistons blowing at home, as Gadzooks pointed out, it looks like a throwback NBA Finals match-up.

'Sheed should've went ahead and got that T last game, preferably by kicking the shit out of Bill Belichick.

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/8/d/8d7c18307ca015e6fa5de237a5c924e0_billbelichickcelt ics.jpg

He's in that picture somewhere...

pac-man
May 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Oh, and a bit of good news: the NBA will fine floppers next year. Anderson Varejao is fucked.

Geggy
May 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
what the hell is a flopper? never heard of that term in nba.

btw, i'm keeping my mouth shut until the postseason is over, at least for the celts :x

WhiteRat
May 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Manu "The First Flopper" Ginobli:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEef1T_lqwA&feature=related

Raja "Sir Flops-a-Lot" Bell:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8BjhfwVY_p8&feature=related

Colonel Flagg
May 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Lalers vs Celtics (yawn)

pac-man
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM
I got the Lakers in 6.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
You're probably right, but the mental image of Ko-baby lifting the trophy is enough to make me physically ill. :x

pac-man
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Is the fact that very few people outside Mass. and Cali. care about this final indicative of how far the NBA has fallen since the last time these two teams met?

WhiteRat
Jun 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I would so. I don't plan on watching a single game, nor do any of my friends.

Pentegarn
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM
I may catch a game or two, I think that while the NBA has fallen from what it was in the 80's (you can thank the player attitudes, referee controversies, and cheapening of the sport itself for that) it has started to dust itself off and become mildly interesting again. If it continues in this direction, it will be a great sport again. It will just take time.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I may catch a game or two.

I don't plan on watching a single game, nor do any of my friends.

I'm pretty much on the fence on this one - while the games may be the stuff of legends (and there is every expectation that there will be some great basketball being played here) my heart is just not in it. Both teams are the best money can buy (or steal), they were both number 1 seeds, and frankly, I can't see a great human interest story anywhere here.

I love the sport, I just don't really give a shit who wins. :sleep

WhiteRat
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I love the sport, I just don't really give a shit who wins. :sleep

I don't love the sport anymore, but I hate Kobe and I don't want Garnett to win a title so that gives me two reasons not to watch (if KG wins it I want to pretend like it never happened).

GADZOOKS
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
I will be watching every game. This could of been Spurs Vs. Pistons and that would of sucked a whole bunch more. Fuck ya'll I called it.

WhiteRat
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
You really reached with that one.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, who would have thought the two number 1's would make it to the finals. What are the odds? :confused:

GADZOOKS
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:45 PM
1) It hasn't happened in 8 years

2) The Lakers were NOT the first seed when I made said prediction

suck it

pac-man
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Hawks vs. Nuggets would be just as uninteresting as the final we have. At least the best players are out there.

My prior statement about interest in the final versus what it was in 1987 wasn't based on derision of stars like Kobe or KG, but of the simple fact that a much more select few give a shit today. The NBA didn't know where to go after Jordan, and it still doesn't. Lakers and Celtics is attractive to viewers (and therefore, to ABC/ESPN/Disney) because those team names mean something to anyone who has followed the sport.

I love the game, I just think that a lot of the mystique is gone. I don't know many who are that interested, except people I know from SoCal or Mass. That wasn't the case 21 years ago. Finals series like Spurs vs. Nets haven't helped regain the allure of eras gone by, but I question if that is the fault of the fans or the league and its players.

GADZOOKS
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
4 Spurs Championships will do that to any sport, ugh

WhiteRat
Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I don't see what the problem is with the Spurs. Is it the small market? Is it the fact that Tim Duncan doesn't flap his jaws or demand trades? Someone please tell me why the Spurs get no love. It's tearing me up inside, people!

Frankly, I don't give a shit if the Finals lack "allure". I don't need a supposedly flashier big market team to get me to watch the Finals. Good baxetball can come from anywhere, not just from Kobe's cervix or Boston's taint.

GADZOOKS
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
They are boring ass basketball to watch that grinds games out to a Hack-A-Shaq halt and also are the more prolific floppers in the league. And while Tim Duncan doesn't flap his jaws about being traded (why would he?) he and his team certaintly do bitch about almost every call making their already slow game slower.

They were fun to watch for their first championship back when David Robinson was an active member of the group. Also they are a Dynasty in a league that is in some definite need of parity. It's not completely their fault (except the flopping shit, which the league promises to work on).

WhiteRat
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I've never heard of the Spurs having a reputation for whining about calls but damn did Barry have a good reason to. Duncan flapping jaws was a reference to Kobe flapping his labia before the season started and the flopping is not exclusive to the Spurs, nor did they perfect the craft. That shit has been infesting the league for years.

I can see people tiring of the Spurs because of their dominance, but I personally find it refreshing to see a small market team hit the 9 point Hot Spot. I really really really get sick and tired of hearing about the fucking Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks (the only 3 teams in the league if you watch Sportscenter).

pac-man
Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Small market is a misnomer. San Antonio is the 7th largest city by population in the country. It's a market that doesn't command national attention, and the working class mentality of the team doesn't capture people's imaginations. Hence, they get no ink. Nobody likes hard workers in America, and yes, I can throw in a Simpsons reference: the Frank Grimes episode. Homer command's attention, but Frank is the better worker.

Boring basketball has been the NBA's mantra since Jordan left the Bulls for good. We just watched a playoffs in which home teams dominated and almost all the games were decided by wide enough margins to make them pointless to watch past the 4 minute mark in the fourth quarter. NCAA b-ball has been the basketball of choice for a solid decade now. NBA stars sandbag their asses off.

Of course people are going to talk about the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks. But other than market shares, people talk about them for all the wrong reasons. LA wouldn't be here without the Gasol trade, period. The Knickerbockers are a god damned disaster and we love our disasters. The Celts bought their way back to the finals, and let's face it, Mass. has been ground zero of great sports this past year. Between the Sox, the Pats, BC, and the Celtics, Boston has had a phenomenal year. I've spilled enough Haterade on the subject, but it's hard to deny. If Tim Duncan flapped his pussy then San Antonio would get some press; he doesn't, so they don't.

Don't hate the game, hate the players. The flopping, the refs, the bitching/fighting/arrests/pot smoking/sandbagging has made this series less relevant than it should be. Not the Spurs, not the markets, and (as one) certainly not the fans.

GADZOOKS
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
I've never heard of the Spurs having a reputation for whining about calls but damn did Barry have a good reason to.

That was the one time they should of and they didn't. Which was weird.

pac-man
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Well Gad, that's because it's fixed.

GADZOOKS
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
Speaking of fix, it was nice of David Stern to give the Bulls the number 1 draft pick. Too bad John Paxson is one step ahead of him and is sabatoging it every way againg (Doug Collins Era 2.0)

Geggy
Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I don't see what the problem is with the Spurs. Is it the small market? Is it the fact that Tim Duncan doesn't flap his jaws or demand trades? Someone please tell me why the Spurs get no love. It's tearing me up inside, people!

I dont get it either considering the spurs are clearly deserving of the 4 trophies. I think the spurs are the least exciting team to ever win nba championships. Duncan doesn't bitch because obviously he is living every players' dream which is to play for what is assembled a championship team. However as for paul pierce, I thought that after last year in his team's lowest point in the franchise history, he would be in his last straw before demanding to be released or traded. But he didn't bitch about it and continued to stick with the celtics so it is deserving for him to be in the finals, do you not think so?

By the way as for you crying about the celtics being in the finals...
http://i.pbase.com/o6/96/492696/1/80604318.EQ2HeERR.ohsnap.gif

WhiteRat
Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I guess I just can't get past the good ol' days of Radja, Montross, and Brown. Hell, I even miss good ol' Rick Fox. Life goes on I guess. Forgive me during this period of adjustment.

Geggy
Jun 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM
hell yeah, dee brown and rick fox were great together, as well as reggie lewis (rip). i probably can understand your pain watching your former hometown hero being in the finals on a different team. same thing happened with antoine walker with the miami heat with their tainted championship.

are there any other anti-celtics or obnoxious lakers fan in here that i could have fun with? :(

Geggy
Jun 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
oh yeah, and i just remembered rick fox won it with the lakers. i played against his brother aaron fox back in the high school days. dude, motherfucker could fly! he made us all feel insecured on the court.

pac-man
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
What the fuck is up with Detroit's firing of Flip Saunders? Bad call, imo.

Pentegarn
Jun 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
What the fuck is up with Detroit's firing of Flip Saunders? Bad call, imo.

It might have been a good call had they someone in mind that makes more sense than Flip. As it stands they do not seem to though.

WhiteRat
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Flip deserved to get fired. 3 straight conference finals? Pfft, that shit is bush league and the Pistons made the right move.

pac-man
Jun 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I have a lot of respect for Joe Dumars as an exec, but firing Flip at this point is like taking the a multi-core processor out of your PC in a world where the only replacements are 64-bit. Or for those who don't speak Geekinese, it's not a smart move.

pac-man
Jun 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Fantastic game 1 of the Finals. Not a homer for either team, so I think I was fairly objective. Dick Bavetta and his crew did a great job officiating a very physical game. The energy from Boston and the effort from their bench was the kind of stuff that championships are born of. They didn't show that at all times during the early rounds, but I think Doc Rivers, KG, Pierce, and the crowd at the Garden know how big this is for themselves, the franchise, and the city. That's not to downplay the Lakers performance. Both teams put their bodies on the line, and role players came up huge. Kobe never took charge, and he'll recognize that and play up to his level in future games. ABC played up the rivalry between the franchises, but they didn't overdo it thankfully. Good game overall. Would not be suprised if this thing went 7. What'd you guys think?

Geggy
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I would like to apoligize on behalf of celtics' performance in 4th quarter in last night's finals game two. As I witnessed in the entire regular season, they've had that habit of behaving the game is over when they have a blow out lead. Last night was no exception. Doc rivers is partly to blame for not reminding his players that the game is not over until its over.

That's all.

See you back here when either teams take 4 games.

pac-man
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Doc Rivers said all that needed to be said about the Celts performance in the 4th. They simply got overconfident which lead to them trying to be cute and showy. The Lakers obviously came into this series with a little overconfidence themselves, which is why the Boston bench (props to "The Show" Leon Powe) has shocked them.

I said that the Lakers will win in 6, but I will likely be wrong. I thought that their bench and Kobe's skill would be too much, plus the fact that the Celts struggled with Atlanta, while the Lakers handled the defending champs. The Celtics defense is outstanding, and Paul Pierce may get a finals MVP award. Fuck what the haters say about the injury in game 1. The man got stabbed and almost died, so I'm not questioning his toughness.

LA should still take 2/3 at home, but if Kobe can't make more shots fall and the Celts keep blocking, rebounding, and getting to the line like they have, then Boston will win this thing in 6 or 7.

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2008, 05:50 AM
It is looking like it might be Celtics in 6, maybe 5 or heck even 4 if the Lakers can't get their act together. You can't let a guy who averages 4 points a game manhandle you like that, not in the finals, not if you want a chance to win it.

Geggy
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I think the series will go into 7 games, both team winning every home game.

http://www.geocities.com/iseepee57/celtics.jpg

pac-man
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Kobe jumps over faster cars than that!

MLE
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
That's what you get for painting over your windshields.

Geggy
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if it was already like that when they decided to paint it over. mass has the worst drivers.

pac-man
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Does anybody believe Tim Donaghy's accusations that the NBA fixed playoff games in '02 and '06? He didn't name names as far as the teams involved, but everybody has pretty much surmised what the series in question are. The '02 series had to have been the Lakers vs. Kings series, which even at the time people thought that Sac got swerved in game 6 by the refs. The '06 series was the Rockets vs. Mavericks series in which Mark Cuban blew his top over how Yao Ming got no-called on questionable screens after Dallas was down 2 games to none; they came back to win. I'm almost inclined to believe what he's saying. Sure, Donaghy's credibility is shot, but his balls are to the bandsaw. If he lies about this stuff and the prosecution can prove it, then he's gonna get more time in the hoosgow. The NBA and basketball in general is probably the most "fixable" of major American sports, so is it or has it been rigged?

Pentegarn
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Where there's smoke there's fire

Geggy
Jun 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Oh my god.. did you guys watch the game tonight? That was so magical, man. This one is for the books.

I'm just happy I decided not to go to bed at half time when the celts were down by 18.

pac-man
Jun 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Ditto. I had all but written them off at 9 minutes in the 3rd. History suggests that Boston has won this series, as no team has ever come back from 3-1.

Pentegarn
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM
LA will win the next one and Boston will win game 6 at home.

Geggy
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Celtics should have won game 3, in my opinion.

I've been complaining about doc rivers all year despite the 66 wins in the season but he pulled it off beautifully last night, going with the small unit and putting in eddie house instead of sam cassell. that's what i love about the celtics, you just never know who is going to step up in each game, may it be a starter or a bench player. just wow. i'm still in state of shock. the memory of vujacic slamming his fist on the bench chair and crying is forever etched in my mind.

I don't like the 2-3-2 format in the finals (an idea invented by Red Auerbach), i'd rather they follow the playoffs format where the team that has home court advantage play at home in game 5. It would be nice to see them win at home, but i want to see them wrap it up on sunday night so i can go back to my normal sleeping pattern.

Geggy
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:45 AM
The lakers played a solid game last night despite blowing a 20-something point lead in the 2nd quarter again. The celtics have been missing kendrick perkins's defensive presence. they gave away too many offensive rebounding and kevin garnett played like crap. they had a chance to tie it up with few remaining seconds before fisher stole the ball from pierce. oh well. at least they celts will have a chance to end it all in front of their hometown crowd.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Actually, they'll have TWO chances. :)

WhiteRat
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I predict at least two monster windmill/somersault combo dunks by Kurt Rambis...with glasses off!

pac-man
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Bah, McHale will shut him down.

ItalianStereotype
Jun 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM
well, grats Boston

Geggy
Jun 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Wow last night's game was pretty ridiculous... celtics couldn't have done it better in closing out the series as well as the season with a good old fashioned blow out. It happens when everyone is playing so well as a team like they have all year. The lakers were nonexistent. Last night felt like it was just another game and it hasn't hit me yet, not even when they were handed the trophy. I'm sure it will as the day goes on as I read articles written by the majority of sport analysts and critics who picked the lakers over the celtics.

Geggy
Jun 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Two points I want to make about the sport analysts and the critics...

they failed to realize that in basketball, defense trumps offense.

kobe bryant is not the new michael jordan. Wouldnt be surprised to see his confidence has been shattered.

Pentegarn
Jun 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
The Lakers just couldn't win with the way they showed up in this series. They had to take al 3 at home if they wanted a shot. They failed. The Lakers should have taken advantage of the gassed Celtics and came out aggressively like Boston did to them. They failed. Come to find out The Lakers are who we thought they were. This is a reflection that the east as a division is much tougher than everyone gave them credit for. And the west... well, it may be a long dry spell for the west, as Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit are the primary competition in the NBA

WhiteRat
Jun 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Do you really think this is an indication of how good the East is or is this just an indication how god damn dominating the CELTICS were this year. I'll take the latter. Aside from the three teams you mentioned, who else in the east can compete with the top teams in the west?

Geggy
Jun 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The Lakers are a good team, but the celtics are simply better. They played the way they did last night all season. I think there were a lot of anxiety in celtics during the beginning of this postseason because everyone had high expectations and most part of the celtics lacked postseason experience. Then they've found their touch sometime in the detroit series. And by god, they completely outplayed, overpowered L.A., and emotionally wrecking them like they did to western teams during the season. You have to remember, celtics were 16-0 against western prior to the all start break. When Odom complained to the refs that the celtics were being too physical last night, I knew that L.A. had given up on them. I think the lakers and charlotte hornets will emerge next season. The celtics will repeat in 2009 if the team stays together. :)

Geggy
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:11 AM
oops i keep forgetting that hornets moved to new orleans.

in case anyone was wondering, 22 people had been arrested in the celtics celebration in boston, including this well known rapist.

'Eligible Bachelor' Arrested After Celtics' Win
Zerola Charged With Assaulting Police Officer
POSTED: 12:32 pm EDT June 18, 2008

BOSTON -- A lawyer who was acquitted of two rape charges after being named one of People magazine's "Most Eligible Bachelors" was arrested Wednesday and charged with hitting a police officer who confronted him for urinating in public.

Gary Zerola, 36, was arrested near Faneuil Hall about 1:45 a.m., as fans celebrated the Celtics' victory in the NBA Finals.

Zerola unbuttoned his pants and turned toward the corner of a building, according to a police report filed by Sgt. David O'Connor.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16643322/detail.html?rss=bos&psp=news

more arrests are to be expected today during the celtics rolling rally in the city...wish i could ditch work and go...

Pentegarn
Jun 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Do you really think this is an indication of how good the East is or is this just an indication how god damn dominating the CELTICS were this year. I'll take the latter. Aside from the three teams you mentioned, who else in the east can compete with the top teams in the west?

That's just it though. Name me any team in the west that isn't full of holes that has a chance against the best the east has to offer. San Antonio and Phoenix are running retirement communities that happen to play basketball, New Orleans proved that they piss their pants when it counts, LA is just one man and a lot of inept decoration around said one man. The Jazz might be able to compete, if they could ever win outside Utah. And that's the best the west has to offer against three teams that have overwhelming defense. The defense of the east teams will do for the NBA what the Spread did for college football.

WhiteRat
Jun 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
That's just it though. Name me any team in the west that isn't full of holes that has a chance against the best the east has to offer. San Antonio and Phoenix are running retirement communities that happen to play basketball, New Orleans proved that they piss their pants when it counts, LA is just one man and a lot of inept decoration around said one man. The Jazz might be able to compete, if they could ever win outside Utah. And that's the best the west has to offer against three teams that have overwhelming defense. The defense of the east teams will do for the NBA what the Spread did for college football.

I would hardly consider the Spurs, Lakers, or the Suns teams that are "full of holes". You want full of holes? Take a look at the teams dwelling in the cellar. 50 win teams are not full of holes. Oh, and the Cavaliers are stacked with talent right? There's a one man show you might have overlooked.

So you really believe that this brand new mindblowing eastern style D will revolutionize the way the NBA is played?

Pentegarn
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
So you really believe that this brand new mindblowing eastern style D will revolutionize the way the NBA is played?

Well yes actually, or at least, it will bring the NBA back to how it was before they banned zone defense.

Understand that as things stand now, LA is the best the west has to offer, and they were made to look like a high school team because of Boston's D.

What I think will actually happen is this off season a ton of teams will mimick the 'D first' style that the east seems to have embraced. If I had to guess, Dallas will be the first to mimick because Cuban wants a title nore than anything, and he likely saw the same thing I saw, and will react accordingly.

Geggy
Jun 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Word around the campfire is that the lakers have offered jimmy posey a 4 year contract worth $25 mil. I'm betting he will take the deal. It would be a big blow to the celtics. He was the spirit of the team. He could do it all, defend, shoot 3 pointers, dive for loose balls. It would make sense for the lakers to go after a guy like that to fill the void. I'm thinking that posey is turning himself into a journeyman and wanting to find new challenges on different teams in winning championships. That I can respect.

Btw, 21 more people got arrested at thursday's rolling rally in the city.

WhiteRat
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hot rumour in the streets today is that the Wolves are interested in trading their number 3 pick to the Bobbies for Adam "Mr. Mustachio" Morrison and an undisclosed draft pick. I like Morrison, but we need a big man so that Jefferson can back to the 5 spot. Problem is, Brook Lopez is not worthy of the third pick.

Pentegarn
Jun 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
How bout Shaq's act?

EDIT: Link to what the hell I am talking about http://youtube.com/watch?v=TtbilFAG7ac

Colonel Flagg
Jun 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Poor little man - not a sheriff anymore.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/20749629.html?location_refer=Timberwolves

EDIT: How about that, WR, from a Minneapolis paper no less!

What do the Wolves have to do with Mr. O'Neal anyway?

Pentegarn
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Poor little man - not a sheriff anymore.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/20749629.html?location_refer=Timberwolves

EDIT: How about that, WR, from a Minneapolis paper no less!

What do the Wolves have to do with Mr. O'Neal anyway?

Looks like they copy/pasted the story from the AP. I saw that story on yahoo last night. While it has no bearing on MN at all, I am sure the T-wolves sports site posted it because let's face it, what else of note is going on in all of sports now that the NBA finals are over :lol

That being said, they did find a way to bridge my topic into WhiteRat's T-wolves news. That in itself is amazing :lol

Colonel Flagg
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
[W]hat else of note is going on in all of sports now that the NBA finals are over[?]:lol

The Wimbledon recently got bumped - First round is over, and the Americans aren't hanging their heads in shame (at least not yet).

Pub's girl (Marina Erakovic) made it to the second round. In straight sets, no less. Is she the only Kiwi in the tournament this year?

(Yeah, I know it's off topic. I promise I won't bring tennis into the NBA thread again. Really.)

In other NBA news, D-day is tomorrow. Hoo-Rah!

WhiteRat
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
That being said, they did find a way to bridge my topic into WhiteRat's T-wolves news. That in itself is amazing :lol

I think the universe is going to collapse on it's self now. :hypno

There's a good chance that the Wolves end up taking Mayo with the third pick. We've invested two first rounders in the guard position in the last 3 drafts but Mayo has more potential than McCants and Foye. Mayo has his baggage, but supposedly the greatest executive ever Kevin McHale says he's legit.

WhiteRat
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Rose to the Bulls, Beasley to the Heat, and Mayo the Wolves. In other draft related news, Richard Jefferson was traded to the Bucks for that chinese Yi guy.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I still have to wait awhile for the Sixers to pick. Nice, although obvious move by McHale and the Wolves, WR. You'll be better next year already. :)

Colonel Flagg
Jun 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
With the 16th pick, the Sixers select ..... Marreese Speights.

Excuse me, but who? I didn't see him projected as a potential pick in any of our local rags. Either that makes the Sixers geniuses for picking a great project player, or the newspapers and me doofuses for not seeing it as the obvious choice. After all, ESPN had him rated as the 16th best pick.

Chad Ford likes him - but he also calls him a "poor man's Elton Brand". I don't like any commentary on a player my team drafted in the first round describing him as a "poor man's" anything.

And furthermore, why doesn't he buy himself a real first name with that fat contract he's gonna get?

WhiteRat
Jun 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE fuck you Mchale!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2008/06/27/love.mayo.ap/index.html

Colonel Flagg
Jun 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
John Hollinger of ESPN thinks this could be good for the Wolves:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Love-Mayo-080627

But, he prefaces the story with the phrase "Wait ... did Kevin McHale just make a good trade?" - the implication is obvious. So I'm with you, WR, until proven innocent, McHale is still a dick.

WhiteRat
Jun 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
No, this deal is not good for the Wolves. Love is a future role player while Mayo has all-star potential. Scouts across the league have said time and time again that Love doesn't have a high ceiling and that he's not going to get much better than what he is. Drafting Love also forces the 6'9" Al Jefferson to play out of position once again at the 5 spot. We are going to get roasted in in the paint. This team simply has no size.

Fans in Minnesota are irate. Drafting Mayo gave the fans the first real excitement since the days of KG, and of course, McFuck manages to fuck up this draft as well, much like:

1996 - Trading Ray Allen for Stephon Marbury on draft night
1997 - Drafting a bum kneed center in the 1st round named Paul Grant (don't think he ever played a game)
2003 - Passing on Josh Howard for some fuckstick named Ndudi Ebi
2006 - Trading Randy Foye for Brandon Roy on draft night

Also, he seems to care more about helping the Celtics win a championship than he does his own team. McHale has done a wonderful job driving the team into the ground and alienating what little fan base was left after the KG trade.

Pentegarn
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well Cavs and Lebron fans, take a gander at this

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-lebron070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Not like this should be too shocking though. Cleveland is trying granted, but New Jersey or New York could easily get him what he wants, no denying that.

WhiteRat
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
If you thought LeBron was crammed down our throats right now, just wait till he lands in NY or the Jerz. Shit is going to drive me insane.

Pentegarn
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
If you thought LeBron was crammed down our throats right now, just wait till he lands in NY or the Jerz. Shit is going to drive me insane.

Well, at least you have a couple years before it is an issue :lol

Colonel Flagg
Jul 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Well now, the Atlantic Division just got more interesting ....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479059

I'm still holding my breath, but if this is true, this is a terrific move by the Sixers. They FINALLY get the power forward they've been lacking since they traded Barkley, and they also get a player that can shoot the basketball.

They were able to do this by virtue of trading Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth (who?) to Minnesota plus a future first rounder without taking back any salary (!). Hey WR, this could be good for the 'Wolves - Carney is a decent player, and a team could always use an extra first round pick or two, eh?

Pentegarn
Jul 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
and a team could always use an extra first round pick or two, eh?

Yeah, but knowing McHale, he'll trade those picks for a third tier center, or some magic beans, or something :lol

Geggy
Jul 25th, 2008, 04:57 AM
James Posey is teaming up with chris paul and the hornets for the next 4 years.

Oh well. Thanks for the memories.

Pentegarn
Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Looks like the once Seattle Supersonics will be called the Oklahoma City Thunder

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-oklahomacity&prov=ap&type=lgns

WhiteRat
Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Really, what else could they use?

Pentegarn
Sep 4th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Really, what else could they use?

I would have preferred bison. That is easier to make fun of :lol