PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics

Pentegarn
Jun 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Haven't seen much yet about the Olympics other than the new coke cans, but thought I would slot us a thread for it so we can talk Olympics.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm drinking a Russian one right now, spelled out Koka-Kola. Are Tobias and Boon from Russia?

Fathom Zero
Jun 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
I fucking hate China. How's that?

Pentegarn
Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I fucking hate China. How's that?

Vaguely Olympic related, but it counts. So good on ya!

MetalMilitia
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think anyone I've ever met gives a shit about the Olympics, and who can blame them.

Pub Lover
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
New Zealand thinks it's a big deal, but then we've only got the population of a large town. It takes half the nation just to front a single team.

Pentegarn
Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think anyone I've ever met gives a shit about the Olympics, and who can blame them.

It seems that way. But there will at least be something that happens that will be topic worthy, there always is.

WhiteRat
Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
I've always enjoyed the summer olympics. It's fun to watch different countries duke it out but I mainly watch for the track and field events. By the way, Justin Wariner is a god (oh please please don't be on roids!).

Colonel Flagg
Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
By the way, Justin Wariner is a god (oh please please don't be on roids!).

I hope you are referring to Jeremy Wariner - Justin Gatlin is already alleged to have used PED's.

No matter, China will win all the gold medals. And most of the silver and bronze, too. :\

WhiteRat
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
I hope you are referring to Jeremy Wariner - Justin Gatlin is already alleged to have used PED's.

No matter, China will win all the gold medals. And most of the silver and bronze, too. :\

Oops, I meant Jeremy.

Do you mean China will win the track and field medals or just the whole shebang in general?

Pentegarn
Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Oops, I meant Jeremy.

Do you mean China will win the track and field medals or just the whole shebang in general?

Well they are used to breathing the pure black soot in the air there that L.A. thinks is jacked up :lol

Kitsa
Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I like the haka. I would pay more attention to the Olympics if the haka were incorporated into every sport.

Pub Lover
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
A lot of people here think the haka is overplayed and that it's lost it's effect because of it.
Nine players from the United States gold medal winning women's football team from four years ago have made the 18-strong squad for the Beijing Games.
The United States is in the same group as New Zealand, Norway and Japan.
Co-captains Christie Rampone and Kate Markgraf will both be participating in their third Olympic Games while striker Abby Wambach, who grabbed the winning goal in extra-time in the Athens Olympic final against Brazil, is also included.
Well, that fucks NZ's hopes justs a bit more. :(

Fathom Zero
Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I'm not going to watch this one, either.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Why should they stop at track and field? Shooting, Power Walking, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Team Handball and Synchronized Swimming - they award medals for these too. And the gold is just as bright and shiny.

I'm just envisioning a propaganda-fest much like the world has not seen since the '36 Olympics in Berlin. :\

Kitsa
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
I like the Kama-Te haka but not the others. I wish they'd pick one and stick with it. I remember one I watched that was really effective (against South Africa, I think? Are they the Springboks?) but a lot of times everyone just sort of stands and lets them get it over with.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Well they are used to breathing the pure black soot in the air there that L.A. thinks is jacked up :lol

Not to worry; they'll be shutting down all industry within a 50 kilometer radius of Beijing about a month prior to the start of the games, so the air is pure and clean for the TV cameras, then go back to poisoning their people.

Yes, a :xGREEN:x Olympics, indeed.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
I read an article a few months ago about how Bush didn't want the U.S. to compete in the Olympics because he doesn't like how China treats other human beings(i.e. Tibetans). Ridiculous.

WhiteRat
Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
US Men's Baxetball roster:

(PG) Chris Paul
(SG) Kobe Bryant
(SF) LeBron James
(PF) Carlos Boozer
(C) Dwight Howard
(PG) Jason Kidd
(PG) Deron Williams
(SG) Dwayne Wade
(SG) Michael Redd
(SF) Carmelo Anthony
(SF) Tayshaun Prince
(PF) Chris Bosh
Coach: Mike Krzyzewski

Gold medal or I'm never posting here again.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Ouch. Average margin of victory in all games better be >20 pts. No losses allowed.

Pentegarn
Jun 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Why do we not have a back up center?

Colonel Flagg
Jun 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I think USA BB has woken up to the idea that speed and ball-handling trumps shot-blocking and filling the lane. THey got trounced in Athens, losing 3 games in "winning" the bronze medal. This team is smaller, quicker, and with loads of outside shooting capability. Plus Bosh and Boozer can fill in at center if necessary.

Just a thought.

WhiteRat
Jun 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
The Colonel nailed it on the head. The international game doesn't have many lumbering big men to duke it out in the paint. It's a quick game that relies pretty much on it's shooters.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I just read a sports column in the local rag stating the opinion, in part, "Who cares what USA basketball does in the Olympics?" His point was that the pro players are cheapening the Olympic Ideal - they don't stay in the village, they wear their own sponsor's clothes, they sign autographs for money, etc. etc.

To that I say "Screw You, and the Horse you rode in on!"

I want to see team USA crush the international competition at their own game. Not for any nationalistic fervor, but rather to showcase the NBA as the collection of the best basketball players in the world.

What do y'all think? Am I full of shit?

WhiteRat
Jun 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hell no, you're right on the money. I want to watch the NBA players destroy everyone else but more for the claim that the US has the best basketball players on the planet. It's an embarrassment to finish third with 2nd/3rd tier talent. I wonder if countries like Argentina think that they can actually beat America's best (when I say best I'm talking KG, Kobe, LeBron, Amare, etc.).

Pub Lover
Jun 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm sure the Argentinians are saying the same about their Olympic Llama-curling team.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
:lol

WhiteRat
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
US sprinter Tyson Gay ran a heavily wind aided 9.68s 100m to qualify for the Smog Olympics. NCAA champion Walter Dix placed second with a time of 10.80s

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/06/29/us.track.trials.ap/index.html

Pub Lover
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
How do they calculate wind assistance? Because the world record 100m is 9.72s

Pub Lover
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Maybe if I clicked your link. :(

His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Gay qualified for his first Summer Games team and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing.

WhiteRat
Jun 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm a huge Track and Field fan so needless to say I'm very excited for the sprints this year as Gay will have to contend with the strong Jamaican duo of Bolt and Powell. Earlier in the prelims, Gay ran a new American record in 9.77, breaking the great Maurice Green's record of 9.79.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm one of those idiots that watches as much of the Olympics as possible, not just to watch the US win medals, but to look at the sporting events we don't get a chance to watch too much on network TV - kayaking, diving, field hockey, wrestling, volleyball ... etc.

I like variety, godammit. There, I said it, and I feel better now.

I agree, WR, the US team is stacked this year in track and field - it should be very interesting to watch some of the longer distance races as well as the 1500m and less, where we traditionally do well.

Pentegarn
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
Now I am hearing that China is having an algae alert caused by their excessive pollution that might effect on some of the water based events. They supposedly had to hire 10000 workers to start clening up the water.

You know you have too much pollution when Los Angeles says, "Damn, that place is freaking polluted" :P

Fathom Zero
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
It's green like a leprechaun green, too. I think we should turn it into some alternative fuel or something. There's stacks of the stuff like 30 feet in the air.

Pentegarn
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
They could always do what Chicago did with Lake Michigan and stock it with zebra mollusks.

Of course, now they have too many zebra mollusks and the water is an unnatural blue as a result

Colonel Flagg
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Tyson Gay blows out a hamstring during his 200 heat. Shit.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0705/oly_g_gay_412.jpg

It may only be a cramp, but it looked mighty painful and scary. :eek

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Is anyone going to be attending the Olympics?

executioneer
Jul 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
i'm going to the olympics

http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/images/alpine/olympic_5946.jpg
these ones

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jul 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hahaha, it took a minute.

Pub Lover
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Members of the Australian Olympic soccer team are disappointed goal-keeper Danny Vukovic will not be joining them in Beijing.
The Central Coast player has been banned from all international matches until October 5 after he slapped a referee during the A-League final in February.
The 23-year-old lost his place in the Olyroos squad after the Court of Arbitration for Sport yesterday dismissed his appeal against the ban.
Olyroos goal-keeper Tando Velaphi says Vukovic will be missed.
The highlighted text made me lol three times. :x

AChimp
Jul 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Basketball is pretty boring. :/

Pentegarn
Jul 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Some people think that very thing about other sports such as Hockey or Curling :P

Colonel Flagg
Jul 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm holding out for Olympic Lacrosse! :lol

Pentegarn
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Are you sure that doesn't already exist? After all, Olympic Badmitton exists :lol

Colonel Flagg
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, and Olympic Field Hockey, Olympic Ping Pong and Olympic Team Handball (I think it was dropped a few quadrennia ago). Not to mention Rhythmic Gymnastics and Synchronized Swimming. I've neer seen Lacrosse EVER, and I'm an Olympics Junkie(TM). If I'm wrong, please edumacate me. :(

Pentegarn
Jul 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Heck my Olympic knowledge isn't nearly that extensive :lol

It was just one of those things that seems like it ought to exist

Colonel Flagg
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It [Olympic Lacrosse] was just one of those things that seems like it ought to exist

Well, it turns out it did, if you believe Wikipedia - it was dropped in 1908, when only two countries fielded teams. Apparently, it was brought back as a demo sport three times, but the latest was even before my time - 1948.

As for me, I really enjoy sculling and water polo. Bring on the games!:rock

Pub Lover
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/urbansuicidejunkie/linkedjunk/2008/may/oscar-pistorius.jpg

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
They need to drop Rhythmic Trampoline if they haven't already.

Colonel Flagg
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think Pistorius has one more chance to qualify for the RSA Olympic Team. I'm with Pub, I think it would be awesome to see him run against the likes of Merritt and Wariner. Even if he gets thrashed, he still wins.

Pub Lover
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
China claims it's managed to clear the algae from the water around Qingdao, well the parts to be raced on.
They just made people do it. It's a pretty good resource, thousands of people willing to do a shitty job.

Colonel Flagg
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Or else ... :\

Pub Lover
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
NO POLITICS IN THE SPORTS FORUM! :eek

Pentegarn
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
You should have added "Or else" Pub :D

Colonel Flagg
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
:lol

Colonel Flagg
Jul 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
This Olympics is shaping up to be quite interesting, apart from the whole political angle (sorry Pub). Apparently South Africa will be sending an amputee to the games (single) - a swimmer in the women's 10K marathon.

Plus, as I recently found out, Team Handball is still an Olympic event, much to my surprise. (The US still failed to qualify in either the men's or women's events.) For me, I'm awaiting full, real-time coverage of synchronized diving, rhythmic gymnastics and the hammer throw.

I know .... I need help.

Pentegarn
Jul 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
The hammer throw is neat to look at though

Colonel Flagg
Jul 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
The hammer throw is neat to look at though

Yes, it is.

I have this vision of a Bulgarian or Romanian teeing it up in the circle, whirling around at breakneck speed only to have the cord break just before release, and the weight breaking through the netting and flying off into the crowd. YouTube would have a field day (no pun intended). :eek

I'm sure this happened once or twice in competition, before the invention of Kevlar.

Pub Lover
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Marina Erakovic has been knocked out in the first round of both of the tournaments she's played since Wimbledon, so it doesn't look like she'll manage much going into Beijing. :(

Colonel Flagg
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Marina Erakovic has been knocked out in the first round of both of the tournaments she's played since Wimbledon, so it doesn't look like she'll manage much going into Beijing. :(

Best to keep expectations low - unlike the general expectations for the US basketball team. :\

Pub Lover
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
NZ had a man come third in the 1500 metres at the Monaco Super Grand Prix, he was behind two Kenyans. :lol

Wow, the Russian female pole vault champion managed to raise her (and the world's) record by a centimetre! :eek
Maybe that really is amazing if you have no idea how long a CM is? :blah

Colonel Flagg
Jul 30th, 2008, 05:16 AM
About |------| that much.

Pentegarn
Jul 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Actually I think it is about -- shorter than that :P

Chojin
Jul 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
it's like a hundred meters, right? so, about as long as my couch?

WhiteRat
Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
The Olympics are nothing more than an elaborate scheme to trap our athletes:
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/the_beijing_olympics_are_they_a

Pentegarn
Aug 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/swimming/news?slug=cr-french-trash-080808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So France's Alain Bernard had the following to say about the US Olympic swimming team.

“The Americans? We’re going to smash them. That’s what we came here for.”

If by, "smash", you mean, "surrender to", then sure, I believe you :lol

Colonel Flagg
Aug 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
The French Swim Team is exceptionally strong - it comes from all that practice of raising their arms over their heads.

In other news, the US Women's Sabre team just swept the medal podium. Hoo Rah!:rock

(I know, I need help ...) :hypno

WhiteRat
Aug 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Am I a pervert for watching women's beach volleyball in HD?

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Nope, I'm dvr'ing it right now.

Also, I was really impressed with the opening ceremony. I only saw about an hour of it but I was wowed.

Colonel Flagg
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Am I a pervert for watching women's beach volleyball in HD?

Hell no - Women's (enter practically any sport here) rocks!

Except for weightlifting. :x

Pub Lover
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Women's Weightlifing is the only one I've managed to see so far, and it was great. >:

Colonel Flagg
Aug 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Sing it with me and Pub:

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world. "

Pub Lover
Aug 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Why am I meant to know that song? What is it from?

Also, the first five minutes of the US vs China basketball was great. :lol

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I was watching men's beach volleyball. China vs Austria. It seemed to me not only were American commentators overdubbing the announcing but also the songs they were playing over the overhead speakers. I'm pretty damn sure in a China vs. Austria game they're not going to be playing "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" and then "Beer" by Reel Big Fish. Anyone else notice this or thinks its awkward?

Colonel Flagg
Aug 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Why don't the men wear slinky speedos like the women for beach volleyball? Not that it matters much to me, but some of us (and you know who you are!) might like to see a little beefcake.

Pentegarn
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Why am I meant to know that song? What is it from?

For your education of American pop culture of the ealry 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uz-sf5UEzc

Colonel Flagg
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
How dominant is Michael Phelps? I just saw the 200 Freestyle final. At the start he was a half-body-length ahead of the field. (The Swiss swimmer kept up for about a lap, but faded quickly.) After each turn, he gained another half-length, and kept it going for 200 meters. He swam the race in world record time, beating the silver medalist (Park, from S. Korea) by nearly 2 seconds.

One word. Wow.

Pub Lover
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I fully expect him to reach his goal of the most golds at a single Olympics.

In your face, Mark Spitz. :spitsinspitzface

Pentegarn
Aug 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I think it is jacked up that the Olympic's didn't invite Spitz to witness it. He says he wants to be there and fully believes it is going to happen, he even wanted to be the one to give Phelps the medals he is going to win.

Colonel Flagg
Aug 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
[... Spitz] even wanted to be the one to give Phelps the medals he is going to win.

I don't have a problem with that. Former olympic champions don't typically hand out the next olympic victors' medals, do they? It would, have been nice, I guess, to have Spitz present at the "Cube" for Phelps' last race, just in case. But that didn't happen. :\

Seriously, if the USOC wants to, they can have Mark and Mike pose next to each other, each with all their golds around their neck (à la the Post Olympics SI cover from '72). But frankly, that would be a little cheesy.

Or maybe a lot cheesy. :wisconsin

Pub Lover
Aug 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Erakovic got knocked out in round one. The game was delayed for three days due to rain, but it didn't help her any. Next up, her losing in round one of the US Open.

Dimnos
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Stuff like this is what makes weightlifting interesting. I mean it sucks to be him and all but...

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2008/08/859128/weightlift7.jpg

Pentegarn
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh dear God :faint

WhiteRat
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Who wants to start praying to Michael Phelps?

WhiteRat
Aug 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Them china men are up to no good:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/14/underage.gymnasts/index.html

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Not to take anything away from Phelps but doesn't the U.S. have some radical new swimsuit technology? I still think he would beat the competition but I'm not sure if he would still be clubbing the records like he is.

Edit:
Them china men are up to no good:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/14/underage.gymnasts/index.html

I think time goes faster in China. So by next year the same gymnast is going to at least be 19.

Pentegarn
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
You are not mistaken. I believe (Adidas maybe?) made suits that force the body into a more aerodynamic shape. Critics are calling it 'preformance enhancement clothing'

WhiteRat
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I thought other countries had access to the suit as well? I always thought that Adiddas wasn't an American exclusive when it came to making money.

Colonel Flagg
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
It's the LZR suit from Speedo, and yes, they are more than happy to supply it to anyone who wants it. The only people complaining about performance enhancement clothing are the other swimsuit manufacturers, and of course, those teams that are contractually obligated to wear suits of different manufacture.

It's a pretty fine line. I seem to remember there was a type of pole that was deemed illegal for pole vaulting - I think it had better shape memory or something, which gave it better snap at the same weight. However, in this case there was independent testing conducted by labs reporting to the Swimming Committee (I don't know the official name) that showed that the advantage was statistically non-meaningful.

And there is, of course, the Placebo Effect - if you believe the suit gives you an advantage, then you perform as if it does.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Well then...GO U.S.A.

Pentegarn
Aug 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM
How bout that freaking finish Phelps dropped last night!

USA! USA! USA!

WhiteRat
Aug 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that was pretty impressive. From the naked eye it's extremely difficult to tell who won.

I'm more interested in the sprinting/mid distance events of track than the other sports. Tyson Gay finished 4th in the 100 semi's failing to qualify for the finals. Guess his hamstring injury might have set him back just a bit. Usain Bolt of Jamaica won the Gold and shattered his previous world record of 9.72s with a 9.69s. American Walter Dix of FSU finished with the Bronze. I really like Dix because during the Olympic Qualifiers he turned down several sponsorship offers and chose to remain an amateur, running in his FSU singlet instead of being plastered with sponsors.

WhiteRat
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/JerkDouglas/p1_081608_wrestler_ap.jpg
This little bitch got his metal taken away. What a god damn cry baby.

WhiteRat
Aug 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/JerkDouglas/Untitled-5.jpg
Phelps is a god

Kitsa
Aug 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM
How much water polo can these women play?

WhiteRat
Aug 17th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Enough for tops to come conveniently flying off.

Fathom Zero
Aug 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.foundrymusic.com/media/displaymedia.cfm/id/18652/page/show_video_number_18652.html

Watch the Hungarian dude's elbow fly out of its socket.

bigtimecow
Aug 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
so today was my first time watching the olympics, and i saw china beat the fucking shit out of malaysia in badminton. seriously, china walked all over him

and at the end, the winner (china) threw his shoes into the crowd :-/ stinky

Fathom Zero
Aug 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What I learned today; We can't row boats to save our lives.

Dimnos
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/JerkDouglas/p1_081608_wrestler_ap.jpg
This little bitch got his metal taken away. What a god damn cry baby.

Ha ha. Im glad they took his metal away. They should make this pic into a poster about good sportsmanship to put up all over the place at the next olympics as an added punishment. What a dip

Colonel Flagg
Aug 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
How about the story of that Chinese Hurdler - Li Xiang? The hype before the olympics was huge, what with all the stories (in ESPN and SI to boot) claiming him to be the "hope of 1.3 billion chinese" only to come up lame in the first 110 meter Hurdle qualifying heat.

Sucks to be him right about now. :(

Colonel Flagg
Aug 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ha ha. Im glad they took his metal away. They should make this pic into a poster about good sportsmanship to put up all over the place at the next olympics as an added punishment. What a dip

Compare this to little Shawn Johnson, who got beat in both the all-around and on "her" event (floor exercise) by the last performer. In a sport more affected by disputed judging than any except perhaps fencing, she congratulates the winner, smiles for the camera and accepts her silver medal graciously.

The 16-year-old 4'9" gymnast has more maturity than the 6'2" 240# wrestler.

I'd go you one better - what a wanker! :troutslap

Pub Lover
Aug 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/urbansuicidejunkie/linkedjunk/2008/august/shawn-johnson-08170801.jpg

WhiteRat
Aug 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Bye-Bye Germany!
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q15/JerkDouglas/p1lbj.jpg

Colonel Flagg
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
They only won by 49 - that's like a moral victory for the Germans! :p

Pentegarn
Aug 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
How about the story of that Chinese Hurdler - Li Xiang? The hype before the olympics was huge, what with all the stories (in ESPN and SI to boot) claiming him to be the "hope of 1.3 billion chinese" only to come up lame in the first 110 meter Hurdle qualifying heat.

Sucks to be him right about now. :(

Especially once the Chinese government starts torturing him for not living up to the hype.

Colonel Flagg
Aug 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Jim Caple of ESPN.com must read I-Mockery. The last page of his latest article includes the following line:

'And as for [Jonathan] Horton? He has the silver from the high bar, a bronze from the team all-around and, well, you never know, someone might make "Gymkata 2."'

:picklehat

Pentegarn
Aug 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Jim Caple of ESPN.com must read I-Mockery. The last page of his latest article includes the following line:

'And as for [Jonathan] Horton? He has the silver from the high bar, a bronze from the team all-around and, well, you never know, someone might make "Gymkata 2."'

:picklehat

or a fan of 'so bad they are good movies'

WhiteRat
Aug 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
The US trounced the Aussies by 31 and face Argentina next in a rematch of the Athens semis. This is a much more dominant team than the one Argentina faced 4 years ago and I expect the US to win by at least 20.

Geggy
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I think the players from the 1992 dream basketball team at their current age can whip the 2008 team. The 2008 team have absolutely zero defense.

WhiteRat
Aug 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about that. What people don't realize is that two of their "feature" players, Bird and Magic, were at the back end of their careers. Also, who is really going to effectively guard Kobe and LeBron? The 1992 team, aside from maybe Jordan, doesn't have the athleticism that Kobe and LeBron possess. Sure, the 1992 team would probably come out on top, but to say that this year's team would be "whipped" isn't accurate.

Would you feel the same way if KG, Pierce, or Allen were playing?

ElPila666
Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I expect the US to win by at least 20.

>:

Pentegarn
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
No need to be sad Pila, he said at least 20. That could mean they will win by more :P

Dimnos
Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Wow. 101-81 EXACTLY 20 point win. Way to call it Rat. :lol

WhiteRat
Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Cha-Ching! Chalk one up for the Ratster!

ElPila666
Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Argentina got the gold medal at soccer last night, once again, it's the most awesome sport ever and i guess you guys love it as well :rolleyes:

:gigh

WhiteRat
Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Go shove a bong up your ass. :rolleyes:

Dimnos
Aug 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
This is how gay soccer is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epK4YFFjh4

Colonel Flagg
Aug 24th, 2008, 01:20 AM
My God, that's worse than the acting in the WWE! :troutslap

Pentegarn
Aug 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Soccer is not so bad. It may have no popularity in the US but it seems to be the most popular sport outside the US and more popular than anything else overall sports wise. The US culture just will never get it though I would say.

Though that video was amusing, especially that one toward the end where the guy faked a head injury.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 25th, 2008, 01:50 AM
This is how gay soccer is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epK4YFFjh4

I love how everytime two players hit each other at the same time they both are down for the 10 count.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Aug 25th, 2008, 01:56 AM
My God, that's worse than the acting in the WWE! :troutslap

Just fast forward to the 3 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJ3T5dwOOo&feature=related

Colonel Flagg
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Oh my, that was Oscar-worthy. :lol

Pentegarn
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM
That clip had all the taste of styrofoam without any of the calories

Colonel Flagg
Sep 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
That's a lot of text for just one spam link.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Sep 17th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I can't wait for the 2012 games. Going to try and take a week off during this just to watch the events.

edit: on the london2012.com site I thought they were going to be adding murderball to the games.

Pentegarn
Sep 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Those wouldn't be in the para-Olympics?

10,000 Volt Ghost
Sep 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
it ended up being part of the paralympics but they have everything thrown in on one website.

WhiteRat
Sep 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wow talk about a trip down memory lane 2k8. Because of an apparent spammer I re-read this entire thread from over 3 years ago. Crazy I remember writing some of these posts. Seems like yesterday.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I ended up planning a 2 week vacation to stay at home, relax and watch the olympics this year.

Esuohlim
Feb 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Someday I hope Vatican City will have representatives in the olympics. I want to see the fucking pope in complete pope garb pole-vault like a boss.

WhiteRat
Feb 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I just want to see a Mongolian sprinter.

Pentegarn
Apr 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I posted a thread about this in music but I will post the link here too where someone from The Olympics reached out to The Who to see if Keith Moon (1946-1978) could attend their Symphony of Rock event.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/olympics-organizers-ask-keith-moon-to-play-closing-ceremony-20120413

Colonel Flagg
Apr 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Their fact checkers are all out trying to get pics of Pippa with firearms.

Colonel Flagg
Jul 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Bump.

Time to party like it's 2012. Wonder if Phelps is still doing bong hits?

US women's football is already 1-0 having crushed the French. Woo Hoo.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jul 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

Shrubfest
Jul 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
The most annoying thing about the Olympics (as a northerner) is the constant barrage of travel reminders. 'Plan your journey in advance! Olympic congestion! Delays in public transport'

No there isn't. I'm 200 miles away.

That and the British sporting attitude of 'Oh jolly good! Our man there, the one with nice hair, well, he's been practising this year so he ought to do rather well! He hasn't? Oh. Hey ho! Next time and all that. Best wishes to mummy!'

kahljorn
Jul 28th, 2012, 12:35 AM
The most annoying thing about the Olympics (as a northerner) is the constant barrage of travel reminders. 'Plan your journey in advance! Olympic congestion! Delays in public transport'

No there isn't. I'm 200 miles away.

That and the British sporting attitude of 'Oh jolly good! Our man there, the one with nice hair, well, he's been practising this year so he ought to do rather well! He hasn't? Oh. Hey ho! Next time and all that. Best wishes to mummy!'
lol i thought only americans impersonating british people talk like that

Shrubfest
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nope, everybody takes the piss out of us like that, including us, which is why it's OK :)

Anyone watch the opening ceremony? I was a lot less embarrassed than I expected to be.

Kitsa
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I tried to watch it. I had that Russell Brand quote about the Queen doing a fart, running through my head the whole time for some reason.

The regional costumes were mostly ridiculous, particularly the USA's. It looked like they were members of some boating-oriented prep school.

Tadao
Jul 28th, 2012, 11:48 AM
That whole music love story was lame :(

Kitsa
Jul 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Were they making a conscious effort to make the spectacle as much like the Hunger Games movie adaptation as possible?

The silly regional costumes were pretty much on the nose.

I agree about the music thing being lame and I'll expand that to the whole "digital age" sketch thing being lame.

I'm tired of the Olympics being hosted by First World nations. Give that shit to Djibouti next time.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
It was held in a third world nation in 2008. Have you seen the current beijing pictures.

Tadao
Jul 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I agree about the music thing being lame and I'll expand that to the whole "digital age" sketch thing being lame.

Yeah, that's the music thing I was talking abot. The "Jonnie loves Chachie and thanks the Fonze" thing

Shrubfest
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Both live acts were awful too. Arctic Monkeys had my grandparents decrying the current standard of music and Macca looked like a waxwork which was melting.

Colonel Flagg
Jul 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Keith Moon should have performed.

Kitsa
Jul 30th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I started to discuss the swimming thing with Mr. Kitsa, how it seemed as if Michael Phelps had rested on his laurels a bit, and he responded with this big long thing that made me realize I didn't care about competitive swimming in general, Olympic competitive swimming in particular and especially not the Phelps-Clary-Lochte rivalry in particular.

So I guess he showed me.

AChimp
Jul 30th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I think the opening ceremonies were a tribute to pollution or something like that.