PDA

View Full Version : MattJack's Comic Discussion Thread

MattJack
Sep 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
So over the past 3-4 weeks I've been reading comics. I looked through this thread (http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26141) and ending up taking some of yall's recommendations. I have been reading a couple a week obviously, and I really, really enjoy reading them.

Here is what I've read so far:
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
I Am Legend
Kingdom Come
Preacher vol. 1-2
Superman: Red Son

I have The Invisibles vol. 1-2, just haven't gotten a chance to read them.

I'll just go over real quick what I thought of the ones I've read..

I have to say the my favorite was Return of the Dark Knight. I liked it all the way around. **Spoils**ESP when Superman gets his shi* pushed in.****

Batman: Year One was cool too. I really like how they presented Jim Gordon. It was a short read, but still good imo.

Watchmen was also amazing. Didn't see the ending coming at all. I kind of had the same issues Scru had with the ending, but I made peace with those issues. Awesome book, and now I'm absolutely dreading the movie :(

I didn't really care for Kingdom Come. The art was simply amazing, but I think I hate Superman. He just seems like too much of a little b*tch for his own good. Idk, I guess that's his angle? Plus I felt that there were so many characters (especially ones that I'm not familiar with)that maybe character development was slightly hindered? Idk, just didn't care for this one's story. Quite a bore. Not to mention predictable.

I enjoyed Superman: Red Son much, much more than Kingdom Come just because of the plot/story. Obviously the art wasn't nearly as good, but to me the art should be secondary. I know people will think I'm dumb for liking this better than Kingdom Come, but i dun care.

Preacher vol. 1 was really cool. I like the whole plot that they set up. The characters are pretty cool as well. Cassidy is probably my favorite character. Then I read vol. 2 and it got completely over the top, but in a good way. I've order vol.3-5 and I'm waiting for them. Preacher is so ridiculous and over the top that it's hard to set down. It seems like every other page somebody is either fighting, getting shot in the face, or fuc*ing.

I Am Legend was kind of a boring read at times, but still not bad. I had issues with the ending. Kind of seemed really stupid actually, but meh.

I don't know what The Invisibles is about, just ordered them after seeing yall speak so highly of them, so I'm sure I will like the series.

What else do yall recommend? I want to read something Marvel related because I've really been in the DC Universe this whole time. Is Deadpool, The Punisher, or X-Men any good? I don't really know where to start with Marvel.

Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy and/or have extensive knowledge of comics, so I'm pretty much open minded to anything right now. That is of course with the exception of Superman. I really h8 him.

Grislygus
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't actually like comics, but every last one of my friends keeps trying to get me to read the Sandman series, and people are always recommending it all over the whole damn internet, so it might be worth a shot

I understand it's real fucking artsy, though

MattJack
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Wait, I've flipped threw one or two of the Sandman in B&N. Didn't really "grab" me, but then again you can't judge a book by its cover. The art in it was kind of odd, but Gaiman did have a hand in Watchmen, so it may be worth a shot.

wobzire
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think a healthy dose of both. I still plan on reading it anyhow.

Grislygus
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
A friend also lent me a three part horror comic a little while ago, I remember it had a bunch of nazis getting fucked over. I liked it at the time, I'll see if I can track it down again

Grislygus
Sep 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Found it, it was The Keep.

J. Tithonus Pednaud
Sep 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have a close friend who's into comics and he passes me stuff he thinks I will dig from time to mine. I just read a series called 'Proof', which is sort of like Hellboy only with cryptids in place of demons.

A team lead by a civilized Bigfoot hunts down Chupacabra.

bigtimecow
Sep 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
THE MAXX KID THE MAXX

Fathom Zero
Sep 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Skydoll

Sam
Sep 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM
DEADPOOL IS ALL YOU NEED SON.

Kick-Ass is probably my new favorite book, and I also read The Exterminators.

Cult_Status
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
BPRD 1946 is great if you like the Hellboy ilk. (Not sure if it's in trade form yet though.

/edit/ I'm an idiot and obviously didn't read the whole post so I'll shut up about Kingdom Come.

Zomboid
Sep 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have a close friend who's into comics and he passes me stuff he thinks I will dig from time to mine. I just read a series called 'Proof', which is sort of like Hellboy only with cryptids in place of demons.

A team lead by a civilized Bigfoot hunts down Chupacabra.
That sounds fucking awesome.

Yukiko
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Ever read Bondage Fearies? Pammie is sooooo kawaii!!! I don't like the baboon though, he's kind of a pervy Mervy! The one were Pfil gets held hostage by Pammie's exgirlfriend is scary!

Misdemonar
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Goddamn Yukiko, I'm going to eat your vagina, and I don't mean sexually, and what I mean by that is, I'm going to rip it off with my teeth, and swallow that fucker down.

Fathom Zero
Sep 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Skydoll

>:

Yukiko
Sep 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
OMG! Your disgusting!!!!

LordSappington
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Says the one who reads 'Bondage Faeries'.

Yukiko
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
It's ok to like cute comic books. Just because you've moved on to being gay doesn't mean you have to hate stuff about girls. Insect Hunters was so adorable!

RaNkeri
Sep 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I read some Punisher comics during the summer, and personally liked them alot. I'd suggest you to give it a try.

LordSappington
Sep 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
It's ok to like cute comic books. Just because you've moved on to being gay doesn't mean you have to hate stuff about girls. Insect Hunters was so adorable!
BONDAGE faeries.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Reading comincs really makes you IM'Potent.

Age of Apocalypse during the 1990's was really good.

Guitar Woman
Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Seconding Deadpool.

If you're feeling adventurous and open minded you could try Nausicaa. The hippie tone of it is ridiculous at more than a few points, but it's an incredibly well done comic and has probably my favorite ending ever.

Nick
Oct 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Deadpool is awesome.

pac-man
Oct 4th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Age of Apocalypse during the 1990's was really good.

There's so fucking much of it, though.

LordSappington
Oct 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately, I never got to read many comics in my life, because the only comic book store that wasn't downtown or otherwise way the hell away was run by this one creepy motherfucker who would yell at you if you didn't buy anything within five minutes of browsing.
Don't even get me started on the RAAAAAAAGE he'd pull if you were caught reading them without buying. We went in once and are still a little wary of him.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Oct 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM
There's so fucking much of it, though.

True, I think they compiled it into 4-5 hardbound editions for 10 bucks each. If I didn't drink so much I might read more, then pick it up....but alas.

RaNkeri
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Just finished reading Garth Ennis' "The Punisher: Welcome back, Frank" series of 12 issues. It was fucking awesome.

Uncle_Sham
Oct 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
me and my friend "broke" into this old house that was abandoened for about 4 years and was being torn down soon. When we were rummaging through the junk i found about 3 boxes of old comics roughly 100, the guy was some kind of colletor. Any copy that said limited or special issue there were at least 2 more copies.

im happy now

MattJack
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
thanx for sharing that story

we rly appreciate it

captain516
Oct 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Seconding Sandman and The Maxx. Zot, which is by the same guy who did "Understanding Comics", is pretty good,but all my friends hate it, so I guess it's not for everyone. If you haven't read Maus yet, iI suggest you do so ASAP, because it's just that great. If you liked Alex Ross's work, then you'll want to pick up Marvels, or all the major events(Namor vs. Human Torch, Galactus, Gwen Stacy dying, etc.) as seen by some random guy. Supreme, by Alan Moore, is a brilliant tribute to the Silver Age, with counterparts to Superman, Batman, and others. Finally, there's Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth, and while it's not about Superheroes, it's still a touching story with great art.

MattJack
Nov 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just read Punisher Max Vol 1(issues 1-12) and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It was my first Punisher comic. Didn't realize he killed everything. I mean, everything.

Finished The Invisibles Vol 1. Mehhh I want to finish other series before I read anymore of The Invisibles. The comic book guy at the store told me to check out Animal Man (sp?). Anyone read this?

RaNkeri
Nov 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Wait, isn't Punisher MAX vol. 1 issues 1-6 and vol. 2 issues 7-12? And isn't Punisher MAX itself considered as vol. 5 of The Punisher series? Atleast that's what I read from the internet

I'm confused :/

MattJack
Nov 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I believe mine said 1-12 on the spine of the book, but I'll have to double check when I get home. Anyhow, it has two stories in it. The Beginning and Irish Kitchen.

The Beginning is kind of like The Dark Knight Returns in that it's set some years later (25 years maybe?). Frank is older, but still a complete bad ass of course. The mob wants him dead, and the government wants to use him for their WoT agenda. Violence ensues.

Kitchen Irish is about pseudo Irish gangs fighting each other to get money that an old mobster left behind. Problem is, they pissed off Frank when one gang decided to blow up a cafe that Frank just so happened to be eating at that day. Violence ensues.

I liked them!

Just picked up Preacher vol 3-5, so I'm cutting those down now.

RaNkeri
Nov 4th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Oh I see. I've always had the idea that one story arc equals one volume.

And just wait 'till you get to Barracuda (#31-#36) and Widowmaker (#43-#49) they're fucking awesome.

Hell, the whole Punisher MAX series is fucking awesome.

Sam
Nov 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
What's the one where he fights the whale? :(

MattJack
Nov 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
:lol idk but christ i want to read that

Punisher is ridiculous, but I <3s it so much

RaNkeri
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM
What's the one where he fights the whale? :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/RaNkeri/punfisher.jpg

Unfortunately the story itself isn't nearly as awesome as the cover :(

MattJack
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I want that

RaNkeri
Nov 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory and Batman: Hush are all awesome, you should read 'em

Guitar Woman
Nov 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9038/hrpreacher24pre2417bw7.jpg

I like Preacher a lot!

The Saint of all Killers is the baddest dude ever :(

MattJack
Nov 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I almost picked up Batman Long Halloween the other day, but I'm gonna hold off on that.

I want the next volume of Punisher Max and the final Preacher first.

GW:
Yeah that was a good one. I like in Vol. 4 how they explain the Saint of killers. Have you finished the series yet?

Guitar Woman
Nov 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
No, I'm on the part where they spin Cassidy's origin story.

pac-man
Nov 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Anybody read the new Joker book or Batman R.I.P.?

EDIT: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29175/595029-1_super.jpg

RaNkeri
Nov 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I read Joker today.

It was great, but not quite as good as Killing joke imo

The artwork was very impressive

timrpgland
Nov 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Kevin Smith's Batman: Cacophony #1 was worth the read. It kind of suprised me.

I almost picked up Batman Long Halloween the other day, but I'm gonna hold off on that.

I really enjoyed that one. Better than Dark Victory imo.

Zomboid
Nov 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
They're both good, but long halloween was better. I just finished reading Year One, and that was pretty damn good too. It's cool to see how much the Nolan Batman movies borrowed from those three books.

timrpgland
Nov 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Book one is classic shit. Nolan does an awesome job capturing "good" batman.

The new rip storyline is good stuff and Detective Comics still rolls along (wihtout interfering too much like outsiders tries to).

I agree that the new "Joker" isn't quite the joker tale that "Killing Joke" is but really that one is more about showing the batman/joker relationship than establishing The Joker's out of itness.

Regardless, the best thing about "Joker" is clearly the artwork. The writing tends to take a deserved back seat.

pac-man
Nov 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Okay, so I need to check out both of them. Thanks.

Hellfish
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Going back in time slightly, am I the only one who enjoyed Annihilation (Got mostly flak,AFAIH)? Huge, yes, of course; being about a negative zone invasion, but I never got sick of it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Cosmic Clashes..

Also, I've gotta get that Joker book. If only for the art, I'm framing that

MattJack
Dec 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well I finished Preacher!

Man I liked it a lot. I like how Herr Starr kind of became the comic relief in the last couple of volumes. The last volume felt slightly rushed, and sometimes the accents/southern dialect was over the top, but other than that it was a really awesome series!

I didn't figure that Jesse was going to get shot in the face while he was fighting Cassidy. I mean I knew Cassidy was going to off himself, but I def didn't see the whole sniper actually shooting Jesse. Luckily Cassidy had just made a deal with God that coincidentally worked out with what Jesse and The Saint of Killers had been planning for :\

Herr Starr quickly became one of my favorite characters after he got his head cut. He just kind of became the over the top angry villain that is always two steps behind the protaganist, ie Boss Hogg. My favorite moment with Starr was probably when he's trying on different wigs and hats on in the mirror after his head was cut. "Shit." :lol

Favorite back-story was probably how The Saint of Killers came to be. Just was an old fashion western of a story (like the whole Preacher series). When he came to Hell his heart had so much hate in it that Hell's fires had stopped. Hell had frozen over :lol

I'm going to continue on with the Punisher MAX series now. Think I'm on a Garth Ennis kick really.

Fathom Zero
Dec 9th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Skydoll

>:

RaNkeri
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I think I should give Preacher a try, heard a lot of good things about it.