PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 2010 men's football thread

Pentegarn
Jan 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Aaaaand Lane Kiffin leaves Tennessee for USC

http://newsok.com/lane-kiffin-headed-back-to-usc-in-stunning-hire/article/3431790

WhiteRat
Jan 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I woke up this morning absolutely shocked to see this on si.com. I honestly thought I might have been dreaming for a second; this is so ridiculous.

I happen to like USC and feel that he will be a good fit there but talk about screwing Tennesee over. He came there huffin' and puffin' his way into sanctions and ridicule from other SEC coaches and now he's bouncing out.

What's funny is that he was a finalist for the U of Minnesota job (he's from here) but was passed over, much to the Twin Cities media's dismay. Prior to last night there was still sentiment on a few Gopher football message boards for Kiffen but now I imagine that is gone.

Pentegarn
Jan 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Honestly I thought Mike Leach might have ended up at USC. Maybe he will end up at Tennessee now though

EDIT: Mere seconds after I posted this I found this article :P

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/325047-tennessee-football-is-mike-leach-the-answer

Colonel Flagg
Jan 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM
The ESPN story led with this paragraph:

Lane Kiffin rolled into his dream job at Southern California with a wave of promises and praise Wednesday night, vowing to run a squeaky-clean program even while immediately fending off questions about his staff's first day on the job.

:lol

Pentegarn
Jan 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
One of the sports writers said "Paris Hilton has paid more dues than Lane Kiffin" I found that both amusing and apt.

WhiteRat
Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Pete Caroll taking the Seattle job screwed the Gophers over. Their OC (who's been here all of one season) Jedd Fisch, bailed to coach the QBs in Seattle, so now the Gophers have hired their 3rd OC in 4 years in former Badgers and recent Lions QB coach Jeff Horton. Blah.

WhiteRat
Jan 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
A rainbow of football fields is in the cards:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Eastern-Washington-literally-seeing-red-over-new?urn=ncaaf,216240

Babs
Feb 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM
So Texas is joining the Big 10 (possibly) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/309140-the-perfect-darkhorse-candidate-for-big-ten-expansion-texas

Pentegarn
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:51 PM
That will never happen and that writer is fooling himself if he thinks there is any chance greater than 0 that it will

Babs
Feb 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Didn't you hear it on the news? Shit's everywhere.

Pentegarn
Feb 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I am sure it will turn out to be false though. Why would Texas leave the conference where they get an automatic BCS game bid to go to one where they get a mere Rose Bowl bid?

WhiteRat
Feb 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I am sure it will turn out to be false though. Why would Texas leave the conference where they get an automatic BCS game bid to go to one where they get a mere Rose Bowl bid?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Geographically it doesn't make much sense but after the SWC folded years ago Texas was looking into joining the Pac-10.

Babs
Feb 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Way more money would come out of it to with Texas joining the big 10. The Ohio State Michigan game brings in a shit ton of money, now just imagine Ohio State and Texas joining the Schedule. Not only that now, but Texas and Penn State being playing each other. It's not entirely hard to picture Texas joining the big 10 what so ever.

Pentegarn
Feb 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM
It just doesn't add up. You're not thinking about the huge money making rivalrys they already have. Texas vs. Oklahoma. Texas vs. Texas Tech. You'd have a riot in Texas if the U of T was told these games were going away. It would be like telling OSU they couldn't play Michigan every year. Or Alabama and Auburn being told no game every year. If the Big 10 expands, I expect they will do like every other BCS conference that isn't the Big East does, they'll cherry pick from the Big East

WhiteRat
Feb 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
It just doesn't add up. You're not thinking about the huge money making rivalrys they already have. Texas vs. Oklahoma. Texas vs. Texas Tech. You'd have a riot in Texas if the U of T was told these games were going away. It would be like telling OSU they couldn't play Michigan every year. Or Alabama and Auburn being told no game every year. If the Big 10 expands, I expect they will do like every other BCS conference that isn't the Big East does, they'll cherry pick from the Big East

You also have to include the revenue from the Big 10 Network as well.

Also, Texas and Oklahoma weren't even in the same conference for 70 years prior to the Big 12 forming and they still managed to play every year. I'm sure they can manage in separate conferences. Also, the "Big" in state rivalry isn't TT, but rather A & M, and that yearly battle can still take effect. With 4 non-conference games Texas can play OK and A&M and hell they can even schedule two cream puffs to round out the other two.

Pentegarn
Feb 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I just don't expect they will join the Big 10. In the end, what it boils down to is the system. The Big 12, thanks entirely to a combination of the way the BCS has shaken out and ESPN's efforts, is one of the 2 conferences with an automatic bid (in the virtual sense) for the BCS championship. (If you don't believe me, you have only to look to the 5 undefeated teams last year. Out of the 5, the 2 that got in proved my point for me there.) So why would you go from a conference where you're dick gets sucked by the BCS and ESPN to a conference where the media will bitch slap you daily for not being in the SEC or Big 12 (and to a lesser degree, the Pac 10)? I think the AD of Texas is smart enough to know the little bit of money he might make up front (and I think even that's debatable honestly because the Big 12 is no slouch when it comes to revenue generation) will pale in comparison to the money he will lose long term thanks to long term media disenfranchisement, recruitment deflation, (most 5 stars seem to want to go to the Big 12 and the SEC) and disgruntled alumni not funding the school.

Pentegarn
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Rich Rod, Rich Rod, Rich Rod.....

First you tell us you weren't violating NCAA rules, now you tell us you misinterpreted them?

http://www.freep.com/article/20100224/SPORTS06/2240319/1054/SPORTS/U-M-coach-We-made-mistakes

Roidger Clemens and his 'misremembered' think you are full of shit.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Lane Kiffin would like to compare notes.

Babs
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Dick Rod is a god damn tool. If I were Michigan I would just use that as an excuse to get rid of him.

Pentegarn
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM
If he doesn't win at least 8 games this year they will get rid of him I bet.

Babs
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Definitely, I can see that more than logical. He has a lot to make for seeing as since he's been head coach for Michigan, they haven't been to a bowl game.

Pentegarn
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I couldn't possibly remember all the eff-ups Rich Rod has made since he took the reins from Lloyd Carr. But among the ones I can remember are

-he pissed off the MU Alumni by changing the #1 jersey tradition
-he drove several key players away with his changes and drove one to their hated rival
-coached MU to their worst record in possibly the history of MU
-and of course this recent unpleasantness

Pentegarn
Feb 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Illinois is so hot and cold I hesitate to predict anything with them. One year they have a spread offense that can't be stopped, the next they have to struggle for a few wins. I wonder what they will bring this year.

Babs
Mar 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
So in case none of you have heard lately, Urban Meyer has been chewing the head off a specific reporter (some ass named Jeremy Fowler) over an ARTICLE (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/03/florida-gators-wr-deonte-thompson-sounds-happy-to-usher-in-post-tebow-era.html) based off a brief interview between Florida's wide receiver, Deonte Thompson, and Mr. Fowler. Take into note that this Fowler character blew nothing out of context but just simply quoted the Sophomore receiver out of the University of Florida; he wasn't the only reporter to have quoted Thompson as well but was most certainly singled out in a crowd of roughly about 10 others. You can go HERE (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/03/urban-meyer-uh-passionately-defends-deonte-thompson.html#video) to see Coach Meyers response to the article on video where you can see him threaten Fowler at least twice.

So... what are your inputs on this subject? Admirable of Coach Meyer or simply unacceptable? Also, do you think the schools are giving a little to much room for coaches?

Pentegarn
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Meyer was being classless and way out of line there. If he wants to get pissy, get pissy with the player who said the quote.

The most blatant case of shooting the messenger I have ever seen

Babs
Mar 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/LifeInMono/THISISFLORIDA.jpg

WhiteRat
Mar 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Meyer was being classless and way out of line there.
The most blatant case of shooting the messenger I have ever seen

So was assclown Fowler's remarks about Meyer and his doctor. He tries to come off as a professional but throws in cheap smartass remark at the end of his article.

I hope UF bars the Sentinel from practices so this guy loses his job. Fuck the media.

Babs
Jun 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
So my predictions of the Big 12 dissolving was correct. I thought Texas would end up with the Big 10 but of course they want to go to the Pac 10 in hopes of dominating there. Nebraska is 100% confirmed to go the Big 10 which is the only Big 12 confirmed so far to make the transition to the Big 10. Though 6 teams from the Big 12 are going to the Pac 10, only 2 are confirmed which is the above mention Texas University along with Texas A&M.

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:19 AM
While it hasn't officially happened yet, this dumb move is indeed much closer to reality. Which will make the BCS game some sort of championship between the SEC and either the Big 10 or Pac 10.

"Progress" shits all over tradition once again

Colonel Flagg
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
^^^ I thought this was a joke, until I realized it was June, not April.

F**kin' thing SUCKS!

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Made me want to bellow GODDAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! to the Big 12

Colonel Flagg
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yaw, a Cuppk.

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hol-l-l-l-a

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Is there uh... some of the uh... uh... uh... you know, just improv that you have been known.. been come to known as?

Colonel Flagg
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Whatami talkin' about? I am talking about the NEED TO EAT PIZZA!

Colonel Flagg
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Pent, we could do this all day. And probably crack each other up. :)

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
And annoy everyone else. So I say we continue!

I wanna eat goddammit!

Colonel Flagg
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Nooooooo! I'm hydrating my boobs!

Pentegarn
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
That's your nutsack

Pentegarn
Jun 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
OK, back to the topic

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/bowl+ban+among+penalties+for+southern+california

So, USC (read: Pete Carroll) cheated, and they got smacked for it.

What strikes me as sad is Pete Carroll went all France and ran like a sissy to Seattle to avoid facing this. No wonder Harbaugh hates him so much. Pete Carroll is a disgusting human being.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Why can't they just hit him personally with sanctions? Like North Korea or Iran.

Yes, I picture him spinning 'round the "Axis of Evil".

Pentegarn
Jun 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
The problem is, what authority does the NCAA now have to do so? He is no longer employed by USC, and the NCAA has no power in the NFL, so he gets away scott free because of his cowardice >:

Pentegarn
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Well, looks like the Pac 10 gets DENIED!

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2010/06/big-12-conference-survives-as-texas-and-oklahoma-decline-pac-10-invitation/

Ha ha!

Now, I can concentrate fully on hating on Nebraska and Colorado for not staying loyal to their conference

Fuck you, Nebraska and Colorado!

Babs
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
So the big 12 is the big ten now and vice versa.

Colonel Flagg
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I'd never thought I'd want to highfive the Universities of Texas and Oklahoma, but well, there you go.

Hell just experienced a snowstorm. :eek

Pentegarn
Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:04 AM
More USC drama

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/21/sports/la-sp-usc-heisman-20100722

Now I have a few questions.

Why even bother 'putting an asterisk' on records? I get what it is supposed to represent, but if the teams that got screwed over by said cheating don't get their own victory ceremonies, why bother saying anything at all. We're going to remember the 30 point blowout of the 04 BCS game no matter how many asterisks you slap on it. Is the NCAA going to fly the 2004 team to the site of the game, present the 2004 trophy to Oklahoma, and let the celebrate their fake hollow victory? Why bother? We all know USC cheats, we all knew it before they got caught, there is no way you get that much blue chip talent (5 blue chip RBs?!) without payola.

Will Lane Kiffin now jump ship? He is fast making Nick Saban look like the most loyal coach ever. How long before Lane Kiffin jumps this burning vessel?

Colonel Flagg
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
My favorite line from this article:

The NCAA also found violations in connection with women's tennis.

A phrase was obviously redacted from the article - "But who cares about collegiate women's tennis?"

Pentegarn
Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Depends on if they are hot or not. They probably are

Colonel Flagg
Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
If that's the case, and they're ineligible, I can think of a great way they could reimburse their scholarship money ....

Pentegarn
Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
San Fernando Valley ftw!

Colonel Flagg
Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I was talking about a bake sale. GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER, PENTEGARN! >:

Pentegarn
Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
What, San Fernando Valley can't have a bake sale?

Pentegarn
Aug 12th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Not current, but I found this as a related vid when I was looking for the Reds Cardinals fight

http://www.youtube.com/v/gR4l0vMSrlc?fs=1&hl=en_US

Best part is the commentary around 1:30 :lol

Pentegarn
Sep 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Buckeyes v Marshall

One might hesitate to call that a game. The Buckeye Offense and Defense had their way with Marshall for the full hour. The clear Achilles Heel of OSU however is their kicking teams (both punting and field goals) who seem to love nothing more than to let everyone through

Pentegarn
Sep 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Honestly surprised Notre Dame handled Purdue so easily.

Either Notre Dame is good or Purdue is worse than I thought

Babs
Sep 7th, 2010, 01:59 AM
TCU and Boise State manage to stay alive. I was expecting to see Oregon State to get dismantled piece by piece after seeing their poor performance against Bringhamyoung in their recent bowl game. Turned out to be a pretty good game though, not what I expected. The Boise State game was amazing with special teams coming out on top within the first 5 minutes in the first quarter. Within the second quarter, you could tell Boise State's Defense was getting exhausted quickly due the unfamiliar conditions they were playing in. Anyways, amazing performance from Tyrod Taylor even though he showed his inability to step up when it meant to most along side with being very impatient.

Babs
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM
So... any comments on the Clemson vs. Auburn, Iowa vs. Arizona, Michigan State vs. Notredame games?

Esuohlim
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
As a staunch MSU fan, I hated how we played last night so much that I actually felt bad for Notre Dame when we pulled the ol' switcheroo on them and scored the touchdown. I spent the entirety of the game annoying my friends by yelling pessimistic shit at the TV because of our constant offensive penalties and cunty defense.

Esuohlim
Sep 20th, 2010, 01:26 AM
And, fuck, man, our coach had an honest-to-god heart attack less than two hours after the end of the game.

I hope when he gets out of the hospital he gets the team together and starts out with "Do you see what you're doing to me?"

But, hey, we broke the Top 25. That counts for something. Six Big Ten teams in the Top 25 is pretty damn impressive

Pentegarn
Sep 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Dear Dick Rod,

I know your future career is in jeopardy. I get that, but to go for it on 4th and 3 when you are up by 30 and could have kicked the field goal simply to run up the score against the likes of Bowling Green exposes you for the disgusting human being you are. You are in for a rude awakening when you start playing Big Ten schools and the games are actually evenly matched.

Laughing at your inevitable fall,

Me

Babs
Sep 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
It was only a matter of time before the faulty and run downed Longhorns lost but I was more impressed with the Arkansas and Alabama game. All I wanted for my birthday was for Arkansas to win, but I guess that's way to much to ask for.

Pentegarn
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
That game disappointed me as well

Babs
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:10 AM
WRONG THREAD

Pentegarn
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
You clicked the wrong thread Babs

Babs
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Milhouse, aren't you excited about your Spartans?

Esuohlim
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
I sure am! Beating #11 Wisconsin by 10 even though we turned it over 3 times is something I have no gripes about. We haven't been 5-0 in over 10 years, and now we're going up against the likewise undefeated Wolverines next week. I'm pretty pumped. :eek

We're making a lot of the same mistakes we usually make, but this year we seem to be learning to recover instead of falling completely apart. I've even read some predictions that we might even challenge your Buckeyes for the league title, but I'm just glad we're not playing you guys again this year :(

Babs
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
I was surprised with the turnovers as well and still being able to when by double digits. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Michigan State to win by double digits again against Michigan. With Cousins putting up amazing numbers against Notre Dame and Wisconsin and Denard Robinson breaking FBS records against Notre Dame and big ten opponents, the game should be rather amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I saw Auburn and Michigan State eventually in the end playing each other in a bowl game.

Fathom Zero
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
so my school won again and stuff. That's good, I guess.

Esuohlim
Oct 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Ahahaha, this just happened

d4fv_yQ86D4

Pentegarn
Oct 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
MSU did exactly what I thought they would do

'Bama was not who we thought they were, but after their performance against Arkansas I was not surprised

All the ESPN anti OSU/pro SEC honks have a large order of crow pie to eat as they now are saying things like, "Illinois is better than we gave them credit for apparently". Which you know grates on them because they wanted to point to OSU v Illinois and say, look how OSU did here, they don't deserve #2

Suck it, ESPN

Esuohlim
Oct 10th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Michigan, Penn St., Alabama, Florida, Miami FL, all lost. Good day today indeed.

Pentegarn
Oct 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM
The AP poll just pisses me off

Oregon did not win in a convincing enough fashion to deserve 15 number 1 votes.

No way does an undefeated MSU deserve to be ranked below a one loss SCU and 'Bama. Is there some sort of law in place I don't know about where at least 4 teams in the top 10 must be from the SEC regardless of the fact that half of those teams do not deserve to be there?

No way should 'Bama be ranked above SCU after losing to SCU

Basically at least 3 undefeated teams got the shaft in the Associated Press' desire to suck the collective dicks of the SEC

Babs
Oct 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
The Oregon position pisses me off. A Boise when last year over Oregon should be enough to have Boise at the number 2 spot. With a loss to either to Arizona or Oregon State, they will indefinitely fall and give Boise the rightful position, still complete shit though seeing Boise has been undefeated since last season.

With the way I saw 'Bama play against the Gamecocks, their is no fucking reason they should even be within the top 10. This supposed top defenese in the country got 5 touchdowns ran on top of them, a SCU team who was 4 FOR 4 in the red zone. I thought the SEC might of be solid this year, but now it just seems down right over rated.

Oh, and another thing. Hearing fucking dumbass Robert Smiths mouth saying that he ranked Oregon over OSU BECAUSE OF THEIR ILLINOIS PERFORMANCE!? What the hell is that load of bullshit? Illinois has always played OSU with great performances, Ron Zook know's their type of play and style that he's not going to go out with a whimper. And just for shit's and giggles, do they even remember who won the god damn Rose Bowl?

Esuohlim
Oct 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
No way does an undefeated MSU deserve to be ranked below a one loss SCU and 'Bama. Is there some sort of law in place I don't know about where at least 4 teams in the top 10 must be from the SEC regardless of the fact that half of those teams do not deserve to be there?

In both their defenses, Alabama has been ranked #1 for like two years and SCU beating them should be weighed more heavily than us beating shitty overrated Michigan.

Of course the media polls are shit anyway, MSU will move up a bit once the BCS rankings come out since, yeah, being undefeated should matter more.

Wasn't it like 3 or 4 years ago when Hawaii was the only undefeated team in college football and they still were number 5 or 6 in the polls? It's the kind of thing that makes me appreciate basketball's tournament system.

Colonel Flagg
Oct 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
College football is too much like politics, and I get quite enough of that this time of the year, thank you very much.

Here's a thought - how about instituting a playoff system? :lol2

Pentegarn
Oct 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
In both their defenses, Alabama has been ranked #1 for like two years and SCU beating them should be weighed more heavily than us beating shitty overrated Michigan.

Oh, and another thing. Hearing fucking dumbass Robert Smiths mouth saying that he ranked Oregon over OSU BECAUSE OF THEIR ILLINOIS PERFORMANCE!? What the hell is that load of bullshit? Illinois has always played OSU with great performances, Ron Zook know's their type of play and style that he's not going to go out with a whimper. And just for shit's and giggles, do they even remember who won the god damn Rose Bowl?

Why would they want to be consistent? I mean let's give 'Bama a pass because of their past but fuck OSU's past, why should we care about that? They aren't in the SEC after all :rolleyes

Womti
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
superbowl is coming! :faint

Pentegarn
Oct 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I regret I missed verbally shtting on you before you got banned

But man am I glad you got banned

Colonel Flagg
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I regret I missed verbally shtting on you before you got banned

But man am I glad you got banned

You speak for most of us, I'm sure - myself included.

Esuohlim
Oct 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Gerard Butler from 300 at Spartan Stadium, christ how gay is that

Babs
Oct 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM
O is for over rated

Esuohlim
Nov 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I like how everyone stopped caring half a month ago

Pentegarn
Nov 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Haven't stopped caring, just no point saying the one thing that is on my mind because I have flogged that equine corpse too much already

That being said this year is proving how necessary a playoff is in College Football.... not that there will ever be one.

MrAdventure
Nov 8th, 2010, 03:53 AM
when will those ducks fowl up stay tooned

Colonel Flagg
Nov 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Let's Go 'Bama! :lol

WhiteRat
Nov 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Someone please shoot me but revive me when Dec 6 hits. Worst season ever.

Pentegarn
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I was hurting for you WhiteRat

WhiteRat
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I was hurting for you WhiteRat

I could go on for hours but two 1-11 seasons in 4 years is absolutely brutal and has left our 2 year old $300 million on campus stadium half empty. People are abandoning the program in droves and rightfully so since this team can't play football if their lives depended on it. Losing to a bad FCS team in South Dakota at home? Losing to Northern Illinois at home? Getting drubbed in every other game we've played? TERRIBLE.

I pray to the football gods that our inept AD Joel Maturi can make the right hire this time and bring in a PROVEN head coach who can bring in his staff and establish a winning culture from day 1.

My top candidates?

Harbaugh, Chris Peterson, and Gary Patterson. We've got virtually no chance to get those guys but the higher ups are talking about shelling out 2-3mil a year, which should be enough to entice a solid coach to come up here. Contrary to what ESPN or other media folk will tell you, Minnesota is not a bad job at all. There is no reason why we should have to take a back to seat to Iowa and Wisconsin when those programs have no built in advantages that we don't have. I would be happy with some second teir coaches like Kevin Sumlin, Troy Calhoun, or Al Golden.

The AD reportedly won't even sniff at Mike Leach because us here simple Minnesotans are just too PC and won't hire a proven winner who rocks the boat from time to time.

Oh well, there's always next year, right?

Pentegarn
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Maybe they should pull the move OSU did

Snatch a great 1-AA coach up and make him a very good Big 10 coach

WhiteRat
Nov 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Maybe they should pull the move OSU did

Snatch a great 1-AA coach up and make him a very good Big 10 coach

No can do. The admins have said that they would likely gun for a big name, a coach that has national recognition and has had a track record of success. The AD was quoted as saying they want to go for a "Tubby Smith type of hire". Tubby as you know has turned around our basketball program immediately and has the bball team ready to make some serious noise in the Big 10 and the NCAA Tourney. With fan support dwindling each day the program needs a big name that will give it a shot in the arm, much like Tubby did when he was hired.

A lot of folks in Mpls seem to think that former Oregon coach and AD Mike Bellotti is a front runner. I don't have a problem with him but his age (60) is a concern in the long scheme of things.

Esuohlim
Nov 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, I can't believe Minnesota beat Illinois.

It makes it funnier that Michigan gave up 65 points to Illinois at the Big House last week.

Esuohlim
Nov 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
I hate how OSU is a likely nod over both Wisky and MSU despite the fact that OSU lost directly to one and lost indirectly to the other.

And for fuck's sake, a TWO LOSS Alabama still ranked above a one loss MSU and Oklahoma State. I fucking hate college football.

Pentegarn
Nov 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
I hate how OSU is a likely nod over both Wisky and MSU despite the fact that OSU lost directly to one and lost indirectly to the other.

This will almost certainly not shake out that way for OSU. As of this posting, Wisconsin is 7 in the BCS, while OSU is 9. Unless Wisconsin loses to Northwestern (unlikely) when OSU and Wisconsin handle their respective business against Northwestern and Michigan, they should stay in the relative same positions. They may go up a slot or 2 each, but if one goes, they both do. In a three way tie (MSU/Wisky/OSU) the tiebreaker for the Rose Bowl bid is the BCS rankings because of the quasi convoluted rock paper scissors situation going on there. Now lets say PSU beats MSU next week (which could happen, after all I think MSU is not who we thought they were) well the tiebeaker then becomes who won the OSU Wisky game.

Any way you slice it, Wisconsin is going to the Rose Bowl

And for fuck's sake, a TWO LOSS Alabama still ranked above a one loss MSU and Oklahoma State. I fucking hate college football.

The AP and Coaches poll has the SEC's collective dicks in their collective mouths. It has always been this way, it will always be this way. Yet another reason they don't want a playoff, the SEC would be SO exposed in such a system

Esuohlim
Nov 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Now lets say PSU beats MSU next week (which could happen, after all I think MSU is not who we thought they were)

Oh certainly, in terms of pure stats we are having a beyond incredible season, but after sitting down and actually watching us play for the last 12 weeks it's really obvious how absolutely lucky we've been for most of the year. Other than the Iowa blowout there's probably three or four other games we completely didn't deserve to win (ND, Northwestern, yesterday against Purdue definitely comes to mind).

And then, of course, you watch our game against Wisky and we had a handle on it the entire time.

MSU football is so infuriatingly inconsistent. Here we are, 10-1, and I still don't know if we're a good team or not. I've been watching since the John L. Smith years and never have I ever been optimistic about any game going into it. Yesterday's narrowly-missed embarrassment just shows that we have a long way to go before being seriously considered as a football powerhouse.

Esuohlim
Nov 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Any way you slice it, Wisconsin is going to the Rose Bowl

You're forgetting the fact that if OSU loses but MSU and Wisky win, MSU wins the tie-breaker. Or SHOULD, at least

Or you're probably not forgetting that fact, because that would mean the fate of our bid lies in the hands of Michigan, and that's too laughable a concept to even take seriously.

Pentegarn
Nov 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
The second one. (though you are correct in how it would shake out in that scenario. MSU would indeed go to the Rose Bowl if OSU lost)

By the way, gambler fact: Did you know that Wisconsin was only favored by 4 over Michigan.

Never have I come closer to betting everything I own on a game. Talk about a dead cert

WhiteRat
Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Look's like it's Golden's Golden Gophers!

Colonel Flagg
Dec 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
F**K YOU BCS! >:

Esuohlim
Dec 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Seriously, h8 the bcs

Pentegarn
Dec 6th, 2010, 04:33 PM
My predictions:

UConn v. Oklahoma: Oklahoma will destroy them, no contest. In fact why is this game even happening?

Va Tech v. Stanford: Va Tech is overrated, Stanford will win this one

TCU v. Wisconsin: Wisconsin should be able to win this one

OSU v. Arkansas: OSU but it will be a close one, no more than 10 points will separate them

Oregon v. Auburn: Oregon has a silly good offense and a passable defense. Auburn has a silly good offense and no defense to speak of at all. Oregon in a close one

Babs
Dec 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
OSU and Arkansas has to be the best match up of the BCS bowl games. Ohio State's solid defense against the old style drop back quartback Mallet, should be an amazing game.

By the way, the should of just had VT and UConn play instead of having 2 lop sided BCS bowl games.

Pentegarn
Dec 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I would think that Stanford v Oklahoma would be a better game

Babs
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Okay so I'll start posting in here.

First off, the Rose Bowl. The matchup between Wisconsin and TCU seems a bit out weighed. I think the running back trio consisting of Clay, Ball, and White is going to destroy TCU's number one ranked defense. My reason being that TCU's defense is top ranked due to their performance in the Mountain West Conference, which I might add their defense performed absolutely poorly against San Diego State with a final score of 40-35. I'm not try to say TCU does not have talent, I'm just saying that even if their defense is up to par, that trio Wisconsin threatens with is going to be very dynamic and open up a lot of play action later on making Tolzien (which I might add is a more than a great quaterback) a threat in the passing game. TCU will manage to move the ball efficiently against Wisconsin managing to pick up a touchdown or to under Dalton's leadership of the offense but will still struggle against Wisconsin's old fashion Big 10 defense. My final score, Wisconsin-37 TCU-17.

Pentegarn
Dec 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM
Still not sure how Tennessee managed to fuck that game up, they snatches defeat from the jaws of victory

Babs
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM
More or less that team is just in a "transition" year. Not with just their talent but alongside with their personnel.

Pentegarn
Jan 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
The least the Spartans could have done was show up today

As for Wisconsin, how 'bout you do what you did on your last drive the whole game. Had you leaned more on your running game and Clay, you would have put 40+ points on the board. Instead, you lost to TCU

And in my College Bowl Mania picks news, I am changing my pick of Pitt over Kentucky to Kentucky over Pitt. Two coaching changes in a month? Those kids cannot possibly be ready, they will be overwhelmed in the moral department

Fathom Zero
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM
EDIT: wait wut am I talking about?

I can't remember who won against who in what game. I hate all these bowls.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, the "Outback Bowl" was what I watched. It was pretty good.

Babs
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
The least the Spartans could have done was show up today

As for Wisconsin, how 'bout you do what you did on your last drive the whole game. Had you leaned more on your running game and Clay, you would have put 40+ points on the board. Instead, you lost to TCU

And in my College Bowl Mania picks news, I am changing my pick of Pitt over Kentucky to Kentucky over Pitt. Two coaching changes in a month? Those kids cannot possibly be ready, they will be overwhelmed in the moral department

Yeah, it really seemed Wisconsin under played Clay and the strength of their running game. Whenever they would run the ball and not gain anything, they would abandon the run for the rest of the drive. Also, what was up with that soft man to man coverage Wisconsin kept showing?

WhiteRat
Jan 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I am now a believer in karma after watching Buttface's game tying 2 point conversion fail and blow up in his face.

Pentegarn
Jan 4th, 2011, 10:21 PM
So far, OSU D line is rag dolling the Hogs O Line

Not exactly how I expected this to shake out to be honest.

Babs
Jan 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Blocked punt and an interception on the second play. What an ending.

Colonel Flagg
Jan 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Long time coming. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5991296)

Michigan fans should be happy. :\

Pentegarn
Jan 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
First, an emoticon reenactment of me watching the 2nd half of the Sugar Bowl

:)

:\

>:

:puke

:wah

:confused:

:rock

Long time coming. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5991296)

Michigan fans should be happy. :\

2nd time this week the media is sure DickRod is gone, I wonder if it is ligit this time :lol

Colonel Flagg
Jan 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Well, Michigan's AD made the announcement, and he's the boss o' Dick. Or was, anyway. :dunce

Babs
Jan 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
High scoring national championship my ass.

Pentegarn
Jan 11th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Too right

Pentegarn
Jan 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Also, I fucking hate the SEC so much. And if you thought their obnoxious fans base was insufferable before, they will now be worse than ever now that another of their teams filled with paid athletes has won another BCS championship

WhiteRat
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Auburn will end up having to return the trophy in two years. There is a LOT of bad juju going on at Auburn. There is speculation that when it is all said and done it wouldn't be a stretch for the SEC to boot them out of the conference. I will try to find the article that I read a few weeks ago that outlines all of the shady shit going on down south.

Pentegarn
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
If the SEC boots Auburn they are a bunch of hypocrites. Other than Vandy, I bet every one of them pays their "student" athletes to play football at their school. And I bet they all pay them in basketball

WhiteRat
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
If the SEC boots Auburn they are a bunch of hypocrites. Other than Vandy, I bet every one of them pays their "student" athletes to play football at their school. And I bet they all pay them in basketball

The difference is that Auburn, if these allegations prove true (and the ncaa is investigating) was caught. The others have not. Innocent until proven guilty.

Anyway, here is the link I was referring too. It's not an article, and the author admits that it's not 100% verifiable, but if half of this shit is true the NCAA will have no choice but to come down with the Hammer of Shit. It may take 1-3 years like the Bush USC saga but expect Auburn to pay dearly:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=22778676

Babs
Jan 11th, 2011, 08:07 PM
What I find unfair is that OSU has to suspend 5 buckeyes for the first 5 games of the 2011 season while Cam Newton walks away unscathed. Just seeing that stupid fucking smile on his face as if he's laughing at the fact that he's the one that got away. Fucking bullshit, the NCAA is a god damn joke.

WhiteRat
Jan 12th, 2011, 01:12 AM
The NCAA set a dangerous precedent with it's ruling on Cam. This will not be the last time we here of athletes being pimped out by family, friends, and/or wellwishers.

Pentegarn
Jan 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
While I hate the hypocrisy of it, the NCAA despite it's insistence to the contrary is nothing but a glorified NFL Minor League and perhaps the whole Cam Newton thing will allow these athletes to get paid finally. They make the NCAA money hand over fist and they are often yelled at for trying to make pizza money of their own because of the reams of ridiculous rules they have in place. People say "if you start paying them though the integrity will be removed from the game" Thing is that integrity is all but gone thanks to schools like Miami U in the 80s, USC in the 90s, all of the SEC now, etc. So rather than pretend they are something they are not, perhaps the NCAA should just open the floodgates and make it a pay their athletes league.

Colonel Flagg
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
They will scrap the BCS in favor of a playoff system before they pay college-age athletes. Just sayin'

Pentegarn
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
True, and in fact it is for the same reason

'nobody better put their hands in my pocket' - BCS honks and NCAA execs

WhiteRat
Jan 12th, 2011, 01:24 PM
You cannot under emphasize the value of a full college scholarship. Not only are they getting access to a very expensive and possibly life changing education, but they are able to showcase their talents for the chance to make mega big bucks in the NFL.

I don't have a problem paying the kids. Take the scholarships aways and give them 20 grand a year. Watch as these young kids piss that money away and are unable to afford an education. Playing college football is a priviledge, not a right. Admissions standards are already lowered in comparison to the average student. College athletes sacrifice a lot but they are rewarded with a debt free education that the average student would fight and claw their way for a chance at receiving even half that amount.

Colonel Flagg
Jan 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Agreed. Some Division 1 schools (e.g. Rice, Northwestern, Stanford) are of a scholastic caliber that transcends athletics. Unfortunately, no one looks at this as compensation, even when the majority of the scholarship students at these schools will never play professionally.

Dimnos
Jan 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
They will scrap the BCS in favor of a playoff system before they pay college-age athletes. Just sayin'

This shit needs to happen. >:

Colonel Flagg
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:21 PM
it will take an act of God. Or congress. :\

Dimnos
Jan 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Dicks. All of em. >:

Babs
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I heard something about the Dallas Mavericks owner wanting to buy out the BCS and establish a play off system... Is this true because I currently don't have full access to the internet to investigate this.

Pentegarn
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Here's one thing about it

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-20025937-10391697.html

Pentegarn
Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
So my call is Green Bay over Chicago and the Jets over Pittsburgh

elx
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
whaaaat? there's not a chance the jets are going to take the steelers today. it's as obvious a call as packers/bears. the superbowl will definitely be pittsburgh-green bay. i lack a team allegiance though, so i'm going to be routing for the cute little underdog cubs the whole way through.. :(

edit: why are we even in this thread

Babs
Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
no, why are you in this thread.

Yeah, Cutler is shitty and Rodgers is just going to throw all over Chicago. As for the Jets and Steelers, both of those teams I absolutely loathe but I guess I rather see the Jets go the super bowl even though Rex Ryan's lap band ass and his arrogant mouth ruined my caring for that team.

elx
Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
looks like cutter needs a bandaid :lol

Pentegarn
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
edit: why are we even in this thread

A fair question. The answer is because I am an idiot.

Now had the Jets bothered to remember they were the Jets in the first half they would have destroyed the Steelers.