PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Winter Olympics thread

Pentegarn
Feb 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I will not be watching it because I am not watching NBC. I will however track some of it on the interwebz.

We can discuss it here (but we probably won't do so very much)

Colonel Flagg
Feb 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'm waiting for the curling event. :)

Colonel Flagg
Feb 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
And team snow-tubing.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I'm looking forward to Olympic hockey something fierce actually. Curling too.

Pentegarn
Feb 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
So some women's lib site thinks the upcoming SI cover objectifies Lindsey Vonn....

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Let-the-Lindsey-hype-begin-Vonn-is-Sports-Illus?urn=oly,217525

A few thoughts here:

1) She is fully clothed, these women can quit their bitching

2) Women's libbers bitching about objectification are hypocrites. If it weren't for physical attraction, men and women wouldn't procreate and the human race would have died out long ago. If it weren't for physical attraction, these unshaved pit having harpies wouldn't be around to complain that men find women physically attractive. I don't see these women complaining about their own conception which more than likely came from some form of physical attraction between their parents though. So they should shut up about men liking to look at women because that's exactly why these birkenstock wearing Indigo Girls fans are around today to whine

3) That cover says "America's Best Woman Skier Ever" not, "Hey check this chick out!" These women have an issue with this cover because they want to have an issue with it.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
That is pretty ridiculous.

I do like her form on the front cover. The first thing I thought of was "Butt out U"

Then I noticed her legs which looks like USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colonel Flagg
Feb 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
SI was interested in selling magazines. Seeing their demographic is mostly male, between the ages of 21 and 49, my thought is that they did what they set out to do. PUT HAWT BABE ON COVER.

Maxim has been doing the same thing for years.

Esuohlim
Feb 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I already mentioned this before but one of my best friends in elementary school was this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_White_(figure_skater)). So although I think figure skating is lame I'll watch probably watch him to see how he does.

Other than that I hate the Olympics so >:

WhiteRat
Feb 7th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Minnesota sure love's it's celebrities. First it was Al Franken, then Brett Favre, and now Vonn. Every day a story about Vonn is crammed into the local rags. I'm not complaining as you probably know by now that she is very easy on the eyes but I just don't know if i'm ready to handle the ensuing bombardment of Vonn Olympic Fever.

WhiteRat
Feb 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I already mentioned this before but one of my best friends in elementary school was this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_White_(figure_skater)). So although I think figure skating is lame I'll watch probably watch him to see how he does.

Other than that I hate the Olympics so >:

They've been partners for 10 years now. Is he hittin that shit yet? He's probably gay so I might have just answered my own question.

Babs
Feb 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM
3C-__7sAePs

Esuohlim
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
He's probably gay so I might have just answered my own question.

He's a figure skater. 'Nuff said.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hey. Johnny Weir is an ATHLETE godammit. :lol

Zhukov
Feb 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Gold for Australia in the mens speed skating. Calling it.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Which event, Zhuk? There are about a zillion.

Zhukov
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Christ, I don't know. All of them.

I wasn't entirely sure we participated until the last games.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
:lol

Pentegarn
Feb 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, if the women's libbers hated the SI thread with Lindsey Vonn, their heads are going to explode when they see the swimsuit issue

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Lindsey-Vonn-poses-for-Sports-Illustrated-s-swim?urn=oly,218547

But wait, I looked at her bio and what is this? It says she weighs 165lbs. She looks just fine in those pics, and I think this is an example of a woman who can look good without starving herself like these supermodels do. The same women who complain about objectification are also known to complain about swimsut models giving poor body images. But here we have an example of a woman who looks good at a more realistic weight. So my question is; Do the women's rights groups get mad at her for marketing herself? Or do they point to her as a champion of a good body image? Sadly I expect more of the former than the latter.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I tried an unscientific experiment with the SI cover. Imagining I was seeing it for the first time, and outside of her obvious hotness, I tried to determine the first thing I would notice about the photo. The winner was the huge number of sponsorships plastered all over her ski suit. I then gave the cover to my wife, and asked her the same question. Her response? Her first impression was that Ms. Vonn was solidly built, and obviously didn't starve herself.

To paraphrase the article, and you too Mr. P., I say kudos to Lindsey for being an athlete that happens to be good looking.

WhiteRat
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
So my question is; Do the women's rights groups get mad at her for marketing herself?

Of course. Skinny or fat, it comes down to a scantily clad woman featured in a "men's" magazine and the activist hags won't have any of it.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Of course, most of those activists are, as you say, hags. Major league bowwows. They're just jealous.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Major league bowwows.

:lol That's awesome.

Countdown.....

Colonel Flagg
Feb 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The funny thing is that I learned that term from one of the smartest P-chem students it was ever my pleasure to teach. She's now a patent attorney.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I need a good patent attorney actually. They're surprisingly expensive.

Pentegarn
Feb 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM
My brother was a patent attorney. He still to this day is angry at how expensive patents are for the common man

stevetothepast
Feb 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
the only bit of the olympics I will watch are the hockey games. It's the only olympic event I've ever really had interest in, summer olympics suck all together.

Kitsa
Feb 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Same here. I am alllllll over the hockey, especially the Canadian men's stuff starting today. They've assembled a pretty good team. The US team I'm lukewarm on, except for Timmay as goalie.

Kitsa
Feb 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
They pre-empted on our local station and for some reason I wound up with women's curling instead of the scheduled hockey on the cable station, but I saw the stats and Canada kicked ass quite handily.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Lindsey Vonn kicked serious ass in the women's downhill. :rock

Pentegarn
Feb 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM
That'll piss the ugmo clam shucker womens libbers off

Grislygus
Feb 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAUGH SEAN WHITE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HE DID IT HE DID THE BIG MAC AFTER HE ALREADY OWNED THE BEJEEZUS OUT OF THAT SHIT BRAAAAAAAAAMERICA, FUCK YEAH

My big fucking question is why fucking Lago got a measly fucking 42 when fucking Peetu's comparable motherfucking run got a forty fuckin five fucking FINLAND, GOD DAMN YOU RANKERI

And Kokubo's second run was so sad that it almost made me cry :( He could have bumped Lago down from the bronze spot

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I was watching U.S. mens curling on the USA network and they showed a "U.S. curling catchup moment from last night."

They cut to sudden death overtime curling between US and Sweden(?) where the US threw the rock and the announcer is like "Well here it looks like the thrower used too much force."

Cut to a close up of the rock getting close to the house for a knockout. Then the announcer voices over again "Is it too much force? Is it? Is it?! Is it!?!........it is. U.S loses to sweden."

I'm staring blankly now at my tv asking myself why would they show that??? Way to boost US moral USA network. Idiots.

Kitsa
Feb 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not even going to pretend to understand curling. And I thought somewhere along the line I saw a mythbusters-type thing where they discovered that the sweeping doesn't do diddley-squat as far as melting the ice is concerned?

I know that there's one canadian woman curler who's doing all this 5 months pregnant. Fresh off the experience and with all of that discomfort in recent memory, all I can say is go her.

Tadao
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM
USA mens curling team fucked up bad against Dem today. Our team really sucks.

Oh, and mythbusters has progressively become full of shit science since the 2nd season.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Neither the US Men's or Women's curling teams has won a match yet. :(

Tadao
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
womens on in 30 mins. this is the first i watched this olympics and todays mens match really pissed me off. hopefully the women know how to play cause the men today made the stupidest mistakes i have ever seen in curling.

Tadao
Feb 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
oh man, our girls were doing so good until the last stone of the 7th. :(

Zhukov
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM
You can't watch anything on the Winter Olympics here. Basically zero coverage. We get a special gold edition super highlights programme that goes for about half an hour and shows pretty much only Australian entrants losing horribly but trying their best. No ice hockey or curling, but we can watch half an hour of cross country skiing where Australia came 87th (and from the announcers excitement you would have thought the poor bastard came first).

Last year there was a shitload of stuff to watch, now another network bought the rights to air it and they just decided they would show didlley squat instead.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Torah Bright (sp?) won the Gold in women's half-pipe.

ONYA MATES!

Tadao
Feb 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I hate the snowboard shit. It's like 1/16th as awesome as skateboarding.

Kitsa
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Our snowboarder from here was apparently supposed to win the gold and wiped out bigtime. Louie Vito is also from here.

The Russian ice skater last night was pissed. Did you see where he jumped up on the gold platform, then down to the silver?

Colonel Flagg
Feb 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I hate the snowboard shit. It's like 1/16th as awesome as skateboarding.

Zhuk was commenting about the Australians not winning anything. :(

Colonel Flagg
Feb 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The Russian ice skater last night was pissed. Did you see where he jumped up on the gold platform, then down to the silver?

Yeah, just read his interview on ESPN - "Yes, I think I won, but I guess he needs a gold medal more than I do."

What a dick.

Tadao
Feb 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Womens curling just won against Russia, but I'm not too proud of how the Americans in the stand treated the Russians throwing thier last very very very important rock. Way to fag up a sport America. :(

Tadao
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
YAY! They took the faggot who kept blowing it for U.S. Mens Curling out of the game. I KNOW, I CARE WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT OLYMPIC U.S. CURLING. :tear

Grislygus
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
You care about the one event where we will always have a disadvantage against the Ice People of the world; I assume you're a masochist

Tadao
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM
All you need is indoor ice and booze :(

Sam
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'd be so good at curling :(

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I was watching the women's curling last night and this woman totally gunned the rock way past the house. At first I thought she looking to knock the other teams rock out but when they showed it approaching the house there wasn't anything to knock out....

:AMIRITE

Tadao
Feb 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
she may have just making a pass so that they can keep the hammer for the next end

:CURLING

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know, the entire team seamed real disappointed in her during the huck and afterwords.

Tadao
Feb 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
oh, she threw the rock to heavy and missed the draw. The U.S. womens has a girl that does tht way too much.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
That was a hell of a hockey game - Norway vs. Switzerland.

Just trying to change the subject is all.

executioneer
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
boner is missing at the olympics guys everyone scan the audience for clues

Colonel Flagg
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
He wasn't at the hockey game, where the US beat Canada (Cindy cries "boo hoo").

Pentegarn
Feb 22nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
I can't wait for Jim Rome today. Canada is going to take it from the USA clones so badly today. All Canada did on Rome was talk smack and say team USA would not beat Canada. I expect to hear things like:

"War fat Americans being better than Canada at the game they invented"

and

"Canada, tell me how my ass tastes"

It'll be fun on the bun.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
I just liked looking at Cindy - he really had some tears welling up in there. :lol

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
"Canada, tell me how my ass tastes"

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Womens curling just won against Russia, but I'm not too proud of how the Americans in the stand treated the Russians throwing their last very very very important rock. Way to fag up a sport America. :(

I've noticed the rest of the world took Americas cue and started making a shit ton of noise during the oppositions crucial throws. This is just sad to see at the Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Candian-curling-fans-leave-Danish-player-in-tear?urn=oly,221320

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
TEAM USA Women's has blonde twins on it. :)

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
10k curls for Great Britain.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/94675280.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0A63597224B9C9F05 2003B30877E0C9AD772ACC7422BB4320E30A760B0D811297

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
? Not displaying for me.

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/murdochmacdonald.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5--ca8rX4ks/SaGBXBWhngI/AAAAAAAAGlM/mhSR8JLSKE4/s400/Sun-2-Ewan-on-knees.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41325000/jpg/_41325564_macdonald416.jpg

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
:lol Oh crap. That middle one is dead on.

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
When I was watching a few days ago I was all OMG 10K! You need to see it live, he looks even more so like you. He makes the same faces. :lol

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
:hypno:hypno:hypno He was born on November 17th.

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
OMG Your mom put a twin up for adoption!

RaNkeri
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
He seems to be a pretty cool guy but he's not even close to M15

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
At least I know how my hair will look in 10 years :( It's slowly going the way of the buffalo as we speak.

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Chris Rudge, the CEO of the Canadian Olympic Committee, plopped down at his daily morning media briefing here and got right to it.

“We’re going to have questions about Own the Podium,” he acknowledged. He then launched into an unprompted five-minute defense of the $118 million government-funded albatross on the Canadian team.

The much hyped program declared that the Canadians would win the total medal count at the Vancouver Games – a boast that was not just bold but struck many as rather un-Canadian.

kahljorn
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
my sister was born on november 17th :O
OMGAZ

Colonel Flagg
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
“We’re going to have questions about Own the Podium,” [Canadian Olympic Committee CEO Chris Rudge] acknowledged. He then launched into an unprompted five-minute defense of the $118 million government-funded albatross on the Canadian team.

The best quotation I saw came from Canadian columnist Cam Cole - "... we've essentially Blown The Podium".

EDIT: At least the podium was happy. :)

Tadao
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
reminds me of police academy :lol

kahljorn
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 WAS ALSO BORN ON NOVEMBER 17TH

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Gold medal game between usa and canada.....

Usa usa usa usa

Kitsa
Feb 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM
noooo

canada.

Rick Nash.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Feb 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
:(

Babs
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM
30 SECONDS LEFT AND USA TIES IT UP

Zomboid
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
And then what happened?

Kitsa
Feb 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I just wish Nash had gotten that winning goal. Allllllllmost.

Also I wish that Babcock hadn't been the coach but I'll overlook it.

Colonel Flagg
Feb 28th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Damn that Cindy Crosby. >:

Congratulations to Canada, anyhoo. :\

Now back to the NHL....

Kitsa
Feb 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
That thing on the ceiling during the closing ceremonies reminds me of carousel from Logan's Run and it's creeping me right the fuck out.

I don't have any NHL to go back to...not like I'm going to be watching the Jackets in the playoffs even with a gold medalist at the helm.

Kitsa
Mar 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
double post :\

Colonel Flagg
Mar 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
That thing on the ceiling during the closing ceremonies reminds me of carousel from Logan's Run and it's creeping me right the fuck out.

Now there's a blast from the past. RENEW!!! RENEW!!! :hypno

À propos of nothing in particular, Farrah Fawcett (R.I.P.) had a cameo in that film, and I believe that was pre-Charlie's Angels. I think I was 12 when it came out (without checking IMDB).

WhiteRat
Mar 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Why is doggy style the official sex position of Canada?

So they can both watch the hockey game!

harharharhar

Seriously though, that was a great game. Congrats to our neighbors of the north on a great win. Unlike some Americans, I actually like Canada (Thunder Bay where you at?) and if it wasn't going to the be the US, I'm glad they won. Better than those stinky Ruskies!

Kitsa
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
I have an uncle who is now royally pissed at me for rooting for anything non-USA.

I mean, like really pissed, not joke pissed.

RaNkeri
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Didn't really have a favorite out of the finalists, but I kind of feel bad for USA. It's Torino 2006 all over again

Kitsa
Mar 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Now there's a blast from the past. RENEW!!! RENEW!!! :hypno

À propos of nothing in particular, Farrah Fawcett (R.I.P.) had a cameo in that film, and I believe that was pre-Charlie's Angels. I think I was 12 when it came out (without checking IMDB).

Yeah, she was the plastic surgeon's assistant.

Does this not look very much like the closing ceremony? :hypno

xSnLU9nyFSA

Esuohlim
Mar 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Nationalism is stupid. The Olympics always bring out my anti-patriotism, and I made fun of USA every time somebody had the Olympics on their TV.

I'm glad the Canadians kicked our ass at everything

RaNkeri
Mar 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
It ain't over yet, the battle shall rage on in youtube between the retarded 16-20 year olds.

Zomboid
Mar 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm mainly just annoyed at everyone on facebook suddenly being like "I AM PROUD TO BE CANADIAN!"

It was just a fucking hockey game. There are other things to be proud of in this country. Like poutine. Oh, and that was a wonderful closing ceremony. I loved how it showed all of Canada's shitty musicians and every imaginable stereotype.

Kitsa
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:30 PM
the outfits they had the canadian athletes in were fucking horrible.

I mean, earflaps and moose sweaters? Did the designer think it was a joke?

Zhukov
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
So I was watching the Australian 2 person bobsled team, and I began to wonder 'how does one get into bobsledding in Australia?' and 'just how easy is it to be classed as the best bobsledder in Australia?'

Do you have to actually do anything as a brake person in a bobsled? I mean, brake at the end, sure, but do you brake on the corners too? I hope not, because I think I could be a pretty good bobsled brake man for Australia. I've seen Cool Runnings at least three times, so I think I have the experience.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Mar 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I noticed this during the event but forgot to mention it. Everyone who was on the ski team for Canada looked liked they were wearing bacon on their suits.

Colonel Flagg
Mar 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Mmmmmmmm..... Bacon ......

Tadao
Mar 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Canadian Bacon

Zomboid
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I've always found the American fascination with bacon to be very, very odd.

Kitsa
Mar 6th, 2010, 09:16 AM
There was an article on that in, oh, it was Details magazine or something. They basically called everyone who was keen on bacon tools.

Zomboid
Mar 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I enjoy it, but so many people seem to go absolutely fucking apeshit for it, and I've never understood why. I thought maybe it was just a stupid fad or something :(

Sam
Mar 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Bacon is just fucking good. :(

executioneer
Mar 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM
it is kind of a stupid fad, though