PDA

View Full Version : Two Towers: Extended Edition

pjalne
Dec 11th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Why isn't there a thread about this yet?

So, what do people think? I really liked it. I had a lot a gripes when I saw it in theaters (not because of departures from the book or anything, strictly reasons regarding pacing and storytelling), and I was glad to see just about everything I wasn't happy with was fixed in the new cut.

EDIT: Fixed title so :love Schimid :love could get it

Schimid
Dec 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM
What the hell? :lol

...:(

EDIT: Oh, now I get it. Thanks, PAL-ne ;(

Ant10708
Dec 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I rented it last week. Makes a good movie alot better. All the extra scenes I pretty much enjoyed.

FS
Dec 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I felt it was worth it, just as with Fellowship of the Ring. Great extra material of Faramir, Gollum and of the Ents.

If I could have my way, I would just see the extended version of Return of the King next week and get the whole deal at once. But since I can't possibly wait another year to see the movie, I guess it'll have to be the theatre version.

pjalne
Dec 11th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I know. It kinda sucks to watch a movie and not feel like you're getting the real deal. But hey, it'll be 3 1/2 hours in theatres, so I guess PJ's leash have been slackened.

Is slackened a word?

AChimp
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:01 PM
:wank Two Towers Extended Cut

pjalne
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I really loved the new ending. And I was really happy they got more Ent stuff and, more importantly, more SLOW Ent stuff. The Treebeard scenes were compressed and cut to an insane degree in the theatrical cut, and that's NOT cool considering the nature of the guy. Plus, I'm always happy when they get some of the poems and songs back in, and the Entvife poem always was one of my favourites for some reason.

Poxpower
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
:/
I don't get this whole "extended edition" thing. Couldn't they just sell the damn DVDs with all the stuff on them in the first place? Because now... I mean who the hell will buy the ROTK dvd when it comes out, knowing that there is an extended version coming out later??

pjalne
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Lots of people. Many can't wait, and there's no way New Line can release the extended cuts before a year has passed (finishing up visual effects and whatnot). Also, you'd be surprised how many people prefer the shorter versions.

Protoclown
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:29 PM
I fucking loved it. My favorite part was the flashback with Boromir and Faramir. I also really liked the part where Faramir was reflecting on the morality of the dead soldier he and his men had killed.

pjalne
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Yeah, Faramir's reflections really were appropriate considering all the pro-war talk in the movie. I never saw it that way myself, but I can see where people were coming from when they accused the movies of promoting warfare as a good solution to all problems.

Also, the Boromir sequence was very welcome, and it helps explain why PJ and co did what they did to Faramir. Actually, it doesn't really, but you can tell the changes are going to be justified in the next movie from Faramir and Denethor's attitudes toward each other. Then again, I never really objected to the Faramir stuff anyway.

Snatchtastic
Dec 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Gollum getting the shit beat out of him by Faramir's men was pretty fucked.

I like the alternate begginings that both Fellowship and Two Towers had for the un-cut editions.

ScruU2wice
Dec 11th, 2003, 10:21 PM
i was just gonna get the normal version but this thread convinced me otherwise :)

executioneer
Dec 11th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I still wish they hadn't made Faramir and Treebeard such dicks :(
AND THAT THEY'D PUT IN THE PART ABOUT "SNEAKING" B/C THATS THE FIRST TIME I EVER LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT A BOOK >:

if it's not in the return of the king I might walk out >:

-willie

Anonymous
Dec 11th, 2003, 10:53 PM
I thought it was great. I was almost like watching a whole new movie really.

Protoclown
Dec 11th, 2003, 11:26 PM
I never had a problem with the movie's version of Faramir either, pjalne. In fact, I think the movie version is BETTER than the book version. And now that it's more justified, maybe all those "purists" will stop their fucking bitching.

Willie...what part about "sneaking" are you talking about? I don't remember that. OR IS IT SOME JOKE I DON"T GET :(

executioneer
Dec 12th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee - but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have though that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shruken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, and old starved pitiable thing.

But at that touch Frodo stirred and cried out softly in his sleep, and immediately Sam was wide awake. The first thing he saw was Gollum - 'pawing at his master,' as he thought.

"Hey you!" he said roughly, "What are you up to?"
"Nothing, nothing," said Gollum softly. "Nice Master!"
"I daresay," said Sam. "But what have you been up to - sneaking off and sneaking back, you old villain?"

Gollum withdrew himself, and a green glint flickered under his heavy lids. Almost spider-like he looked now, crouched back on his bent limbs, with his protuding eyes. The fleeting moment had passed, beyond recall. "Sneaking, sneaking!" he hissed. "Hobbits always so polite, yes. O nice hobbits! Smeagol brings them up secret ways that nobody else could find. Tired he is, thirsty he is, yes thirsty; and he guides them and searches for paths, and they say sneak, sneak. Very nice friends, O yes my precious, very nice."

Sam felt a bit remourseful, though not more trustful. "Sorry," he said. "I'm sorry, but you startled me out of my sleep. And I shouldn't have been sleeping, and that made me a bit sharp. But Mr. Frodo, he's that tired, I asked him to have a wink; and well, that's how it is. Sorry, but where have you been to?"

"Sneakin'," said Gollum, and the green glint did not leave his eyes.

pjalne
Dec 12th, 2003, 09:42 AM
That's pretty kickass.

I wish Treebeard was closer to the book version myself, but something's gotta give. What had Merry and Pippin contributed with this far in the story? Fucked up a birthday party, alerted the goblins of their presence in Moria, lit a fire at Weathertop when they were supposed to be hiding from the wraiths, blurted out Frodo's identity at the Prancing Pony, gotten kidnapped by the uruk-Hai so Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas had to run for a fucking week to get them and generally been a couple of kids whining "Are we there yet" in Aragorn's ear. They couldn't be tagging along and getting in the way for two movies straight, they simply had to make a difference for the better at this point. So PJ and his girls apparently decided to make Treebeard a little reluctant. It annoyed me a little in the theatre, but when I got to the moment where Treebeard sees what's been going on around Isengard everything turned totally sweet and got back on track.

Lye
Dec 13th, 2003, 12:55 AM
i liked it a lot too, faramir is one of my favorite characters in the book, and i thought he was kind of a dick in the movie for taking frodo to Osgilliath or however you spell it, though the movie did need a climax, im glad you get to see more of him and how his father is a dick to him. i hope we get to see him fight more in the return of the king, and not just sick the whole time.
i like to see all the behind the sceen stuff too, i thought it was weird in the movie when aragorn fell off the cliff and there was a long sceen with arwen and elrond and all that crap, but i am glad they did it that way insted of having arwen fight at helm's deep like they were going to do.
i liked seeing the black forest or whatever those wild trees were called.
i think there is like 43 minute added to it, so yeah it does feel like a new movie

Poxpower
Dec 13th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I hate you guys... you made me want to see it...
I'm sure a couple of my friends will buy it, so I'll just mooch...

executioneer
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:11 AM
whatever those wild trees were called

The Huorns. :nerd

-willie