PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

Protoclown
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I saw this with my dad yesterday, and it kicks ass. Go see it.

AChimp
Dec 14th, 2003, 06:35 PM
I was going to make some joke about the homoeroticism of seeing a movie about sailors with one's father, but the humour of it escapes me now. :/

Poxpower
Dec 14th, 2003, 07:27 PM
A friend wanted me to go see it with him last week, but I chose to finish College stuff instead.
Too late now, I'll have to wait for it to be on Tv...

Perndog
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Because I'm a music nerd, I will say that the score was pretty cool. I didn't like the movie too much, but it wasn't my style, so I can't really rate it. Good acting, at least.

Protoclown
Dec 14th, 2003, 09:23 PM
The score was awesome, I concur. I didn't think I'd be all that crazy about it, but for some reason it really sucked me in. Never been that interested in sailing before or naval battles or the ocean or anything of the like.

I think Russell Crowe is an asshole, but I have to begrudgingly admit that he is a damn good actor. I hate that.

AChimp
Dec 14th, 2003, 11:38 PM
I thought the doctor was badass. He operated on himself. :eek

Royal Tenenbaum
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:12 AM
I liked it, definitely a solid film. It did everything right, but didn't go beyond what it had to do. Not a classic, but an enjoyable evening.

Snatchtastic
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:44 AM
To me the previews screamed Gladiator on a boat, but after veiwing the movie I was thoroughly entertained. It wasn't just a movie about being chased by a renegade ship but also the peril and adventure that a sailing voyage would have. The final battle sequence is hardcore and overall not a bad film.

Protoclown
Dec 15th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Yeah, this film was MUCH better than Gladiator.

Perndog
Dec 15th, 2003, 02:10 AM
:lol I only liked Gladiator for the score, too.

Oh yeah, I forgot...I also saw this movie with my dad. He read all the books in the series it was based on once upon a time. Apparently, this movie encompasses most of the first three (of 12 or something) novels.

The books must be really boring if it took three of them to put together enough interesting material for one movie. :lol

Spectre X
Dec 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM
I'd like to go and see it.

But as for sea-drama, NOTHING beats the Hornblower series. >: