PDA

View Full Version : types of "art" you think are a crock of shit?

Anonymous
Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:06 PM
Besides sketch33 that is ;)

abstract art? performance art? still lifes? collage? photo-manips? fetus in a jar? anything?

James
Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:34 PM
The kind of art where people just throw paint at the canvas, money feces-style.

FS
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:34 PM
Dadaism. Paint splashed on cloth while extorting various grunts. Geometric shapes. I mean, it can't be easy to draw straight lines and round circles by hand, but that doesn't mean it's art.

Ninjavenom
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Jasper Johns' stuff, new wave art like that tomato soup can thing.

theapportioner
Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
Leonardo, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Vermeer... babies' play, biznachos.

And that Giger guy? What a loser. >:

James
Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
:rolleyes

Oh, and FS, thanks. I couldn't remember the word for that type, but that's what I was talking about.

Sketch33
Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:42 PM
Personally, I never really enjoyed Art Deco. I don't follow performance art much, but I thought that piece where the guy (I don't recall his name) sat in the glass case tearing pages from books was quite pointless. And many years back one of my instructors showed us a video of a "60-Minutes" broadcast about the current state of art (at that time). One wealthy woman, if I remember correctly, bought both a 6'x7' blank white gessoed canvas, and a dish of candies for some ungodly amount of money. The idea behind the canvas was you could run your hand over it and feel a slight texture, making it art. The candy dish had the candy stacked in a specific pile. She explained that you could take and eat a piece of candy, and as long as you replaced it in the same spot from a bowl of extra candies kept in the stand you didn't violate the integrity of the sculpture. To this woman, that was art. to me, it's taking advantage of the elderly.

Anonymous
Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
fascinating

FS
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Oh, and FS, thanks. I couldn't remember the word for that type, but that's what I was talking about.

Dadaism isn't the paint-sploshy thing, but it's a form of art where the artist takes ordinary everyday household items and declares them art, basically. Like, a toilet turned upside down, or a broken bikerack. It was kind of an attack on other art forms. :semi-artstudent

I forget what exact name applies to the "RAAAH! PAINT! DAMN YOU, CANVAS!" style of art. Post-expressionism, something like that?

MrAdventure
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
FUNDED FAGGOTRY. :rolleyes

People can convincingly obsess over the composition of everyday objects, taking the curve of a toaster and making it the birth of a galaxy. Slowly running their fingers along a heating vent over and over, trying to express the stimulation as though you could never feel it like they do. I wish I was born with that insightful logic, that barrage of sensory delights could have been my golden ticket into high society.

I GUESS I HATE THEM. >:

I FIND CONCEPTUAL ART AWKWARD. >:

A guy named Rudolf Schwarzkogler began cutting away at his penis with a knife, piece by piece, in the name of art.

He bled to death. :(

Or this fellow, Vito Acconci, who masturbated under a ramp, over which visitors walked. Other features include him dressing his penis in doll's clothing and biting himself all over.

Some chap named Chris Burden crucified himself on a Volkswagen, and he found the courage to crawl across a parking lot littered with broken glass.

SO I ALSO HATE THEM. >:

James
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Dadaism. Paint splashed on cloth while extorting various grunts.

I thought you were describing Dadaism here. Whoopsie. :(

Anonymous
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:36 AM
The one called 'olive on orange' or summat which was the top half of the canvas painted olive and the lower half painted orange.

An then it sold for like a billion dollas :(

The Unseen
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:42 PM
you all forgot rap music

Anonymous
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Thank you, "The Unseen," from Durham, NH.

Sketch33
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:53 PM
FS: Abstract Expressionism. Jackson Pollok was well known for it.

MrAdventure: I agree with every bit of what you said. I never thought I would see that happen. As Chojin said, fascinating.

Anonymous
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM
As I said, shut up.

tenno
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:40 AM
i think dropping a bull from a crane is 'high art' whereas drawing a picture of a naked woman is 'low art'

calvin and hobbes is 'true art'

Sevenjin
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:39 PM
There was this one "artwork" I saw that sold for like a billion-kajillion dollars too.

It was a blank piece of canvas with just a single stroke of orange in the bottom left hand corner.

The explanation was:

"It is not what the artist did do but what he didnt put in this artwork that makes it such a memorable piece."

???

The Retro Kat
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:54 PM
I personally dont like still life's of things, its boring. Art should be unique, not things.

Tree
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Emo
Nothing worse than squeeling punk rock about love and sadness.
That, my new acquaintances, is the lowest form of art, presented by no talent ass-clowns. The only thing worse would be the shitty portraits of people you see hanging in the local library. You know the ones that look like a retarded version of the intended subject?

glowbelly
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:45 AM
i absolutely adore pollack. adore him. LOVE HIM. ok? ok.

i don't like poetry all that much. and as far as visual arts go, i have a really hard time with abstract sculpture. i mean, it's cool, but sometimes it's so devoid of feeling that it seems you are just staring at what the object is made of...then again, maybe that's the point.

Rez
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:42 PM
THOMAS KINKAID.

can't even spell his name right, i dont give a shit. that man makes art for money. fuck him.

it's great to make money from the art you do. but to paint JUST to make money? creating a bunch of dull-ASS paintings of rich people's backyard and selling it to calendars and bored people for a bahjillion dollars? the man has no talent. and i wouldnt mind it so much if he actually felt what he was doing. but he doesn't.

bastard.

Helm
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Any art that while being introvert, demands to be treated as socially beneficial. I don't mind introversion for introversion's sake, but it better be stated clearly.

hardcrow
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Dadaism. Paint splashed on cloth while extorting various grunts. Geometric shapes. I mean, it can't be easy to draw straight lines and round circles by hand, but that doesn't mean it's art.

Dadaism=Art to destroy art.

It was making fun of art. A wierd concept.

For me Bob Ross-esk, carbon copy themes piss me off.

hardcrow
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:45 PM
FUNDED FAGGOTRY. :rolleyes

People can convincingly obsess over the composition of everyday objects, taking the curve of a toaster and making it the birth of a galaxy. Slowly running their fingers along a heating vent over and over, trying to express the stimulation as though you could never feel it like they do. I wish I was born with that insightful logic, that barrage of sensory delights could have been my golden ticket into high society.

I GUESS I HATE THEM. >:

I FIND CONCEPTUAL ART AWKWARD. >:

A guy named Rudolf Schwarzkogler began cutting away at his penis with a knife, piece by piece, in the name of art.

He bled to death. :(

Or this fellow, Vito Acconci, who masturbated under a ramp, over which visitors walked. Other features include him dressing his penis in doll's clothing and biting himself all over.

Some chap named Chris Burden crucified himself on a Volkswagen, and he found the courage to crawl across a parking lot littered with broken glass.

SO I ALSO HATE THEM. >:

Not a fan either...good post.

MaskedMonk
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:16 PM
THOMAS KINKAID.

can't even spell his name right, i dont give a shit. that man makes art for money. fuck him.

it's great to make money from the art you do. but to paint JUST to make money? creating a bunch of dull-ASS paintings of rich people's backyard and selling it to calendars and bored people for a bahjillion dollars? the man has no talent. and i wouldnt mind it so much if he actually felt what he was doing. but he doesn't.

bastard.
Not just backyards! Also cottages! And recently, flags!

My home town contains a Thomas Kinkaid Gallery, and I went to it and made fun of it with some people and there was this dumbass redneck lady who tried to talk to us and we pretended to be fans of cottagese and then laughed at her.

Also, I was in Santa Barbara for no reason and stumbled on another one of his damn galleries, went in, and ended up skanking to the easy listening crap they were playing.

In conclusion, I hate Thomas Kinkaid.

James
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:25 PM
I got pretty sick of Boris a few years back. He used to be the number one name you'd think of when it comes to fantasy art. But somewhere down the line, he started getting away with do whatever he wanted. I remember seeing a picture by him that was some sort of futuristic robo-football player. Just this silver in the form of a person running, wearing a jersey and helmet.

I really started hating his work at that moment.

Jeanette X
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I once had an art teacher who showed us a painting which was just a vertical yellow stripe on a red-orange background....and then proceded to talk for 45 minutes about it.

James
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:55 AM
I thought of something else.

I hate, HATE, when people take pictures, and photoshop them by adding wings, or changing colors, or adding a lens flare.

http://ew2.lysator.liu.se/loth/b/k/bkeller/fairy2.jpg

I just really consider it an insult to see someone snag a random image, throw some wings on it, and call it art.

koolaidolio
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:10 PM
abstract art: a big ass canvas and a tiny dot made sells for 54390870979456458 dollars!!!!!!!! what a sik sik world >:

Gibs McKormik
Apr 8th, 2003, 02:36 PM
THOMAS KINKAID.

bastard.

Here, here. I hate this fucker to a degree that is inexpressible. If it is mass produced for the sake of mass production it no longer is art. The only solace I find in this situation is that there like trading cards for the elderly (some of those things are worth impossible amounts for a reproduction).

There is this idiot who puts up giant “sails”. They take forever to do and cost ungodly amounts. They only are up for a few days cause everybody hates them. One he put up in a canyon cutting off one side from the other. Once he covered off a small island and killed off a large amount of life there.

Also Pollack and the whole abstract expressionist idea. Performance art. Dada is crap. Most of anime is terrible and has changed the scene of american animation and comics for the worse by lowering standers and creating a need for half assed imitations. Plus plot has become more of a back round thing for flashy action.

Then there is the formulated poetry of Japan: The Haiku.

Skulhedface
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Someone probably already beat me to this, but I think I'll start my shock art career by painting the word "FUCK" on a 50 foot canvas, telling many artposers of it's social significance and retire in style because of my love for profanity.

kilmie polanski
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:22 AM
yeas...i feckin hate william burroughs...he ruined the beatnik movement if that is even possible. :(

...has anyone seen the movie "Beat" with Courtney Love and Ron Livingston? I only rented it for giggles... >: goddammit.

Poxpower
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I for one study in a Modern art program, and I hate what we have to make, but I don't hate learning how to do it and doing it. I don't hate the people who do it either, I have met many nice people who though complete and utter shit was a great heap of meaninful artwork.

So, almost everything has been said already in this thread, but please remember that the people who make this kind of crap might be more normal and enjoyable people than you might think. They aren't all gay people with a French accent and a beret, and all dressed in black and always ignoring people or thinking they are the best peice of Flesh the earth has ever had a chance to see.

I like some of these people, they are my friends, it's just that small little cormer of their mind that somehow makes them appreciate crap.

Grande
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:00 PM
that kinda poetry thats just random words or phrases that have nothing to do with anything. you know the kind that usually require bongos in the background. that shit blows

The One and Only...
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
Almost anything on this audio tour: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/explore/tatesite.html

OperationScuzBucket
Aug 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I went on an art club trip to a museum in WDC once...it had a lot of interesting "art". There was one section all about this Mexican guy who made trash into sculptures...it was bull. It also featured his amazing drawings that were very very similar to the scribbles you see on kids' menus at chilis.

imported_Wicked Steve
Aug 13th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Those hideous web sites with an endless maze of useless links to pages featuring geometric patterns, jumbles of ASCII characters, etc. of varying levels of glaring irritance. I've seen about five different ones now. >:

I agree with the Emo comment, too. :rolleyes

And ambient music. I once went to a concert where the opening act was like listening to the intro to "Jet Airliner" for a full 45 minutes. A guitarist with an e-bow, playing what seemed like random notes, a guy playing sound effects on a keyboard, and a guy with an assortment of things he banged on or blew into to make noises...and that was it. I was waiting for them to break into a real song, but they never did. They didn't pause, they didn't make any abrupt changes, they never approached a regular beat or a melody...they just went on for the better part of an hour. Thankfully, I woke up in time to join in the confused, polite applause at the end.

I just don't get it.

Shmatt
Sep 4th, 2003, 05:32 AM
I'm gonna go with 'installation art'.
Pure unadulterated violence against creativity or some trustfunded birth control mishap's pathetic attempt at being clever, whatever the case may be, this shits gone way too far.
For those of you in the dark I'll break it down fur yahs.
Installation art is any 'found' anything arranged in any way usually with a hot glue gun or rubber cement involved. Oh yeah!, don't forget your plaque to commemorate the occasion.

1 Art gallery

3 Rooms

2500 Pairs of shoes

1 stupid plaque

I think you can tell where I'm gonig with this, first you fill the damn gallery till it's about knee deep with shoes, then you hang a fucking sign in the window that says 'ART SHOW 10$', collect government grants till your 38 years old, conveniantly change your major 18 times, get mugged by me in the dark ally behind your $3000 a month flat because chances are I'm screwing your wife.

One can dream.

Supafly345
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Gibs was on the ball with anime. It isn't art. It is simple drawings that are waaay too common now and removes any possibility of originality to emerge.
Hey kids! Anyone can be a respected artist! Just ignore all real anatomy dimensions and make sure all curves that aren't insanely wide are converted into points and add odd and disturbing colors!
Then draw millions of these that look identical with very little difference besides adding the occasional pair of cat ears, tail, or insanely large shoulder pads. You will be coveted by all people ignorant of art!

Alphonse
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:05 PM
A lot of people seem to hate abstract art.

That's what I do mostly. :(

I make pretty things with colors and shade random images. :\