PDA

View Full Version : Whats the saddest song you've ever heard?

The Unseen
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Im gonna make a mix so post em her. No specific type of music metal, punk, rap even fuckin' harcore jazz if you want

MrAdventure
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:50 PM
GAMEFAQS ROCKS!

Royal Tenenbaum
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Climbing to the Moon or Ant Farm by Eels.
Guess I'm Doing Fine by Beck.
Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead.
Once Upon a Time by the Smashing Pumpkins.
These Days by Nico. That's my favourite sad song.

iron mitchell
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
i could really name a billion (and i may at a later date, when i have more time), but i think the winner is "hives hives" by xiu xiu. any song whose chorus is "a. i. d. s... h. i. v... i can not wait to die. can't you tell? can't you tell? can't you tell?" is almost too much to bare. but yeah, i'll try to list more later. depressing songs are what i live for.

Ninjavenom
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM
What about Hey Jude?

Rez
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:40 PM
U.N.K.L.E - rabbit in your headlights

Les Waste
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Choloe Vest by Joe Strummer :(

Skulhedface
Feb 25th, 2003, 01:46 AM
anything by Videodrone. Argh. Fuck.

WorthlessLiar
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Swans: God Damn the Sun and Jane Mary, Cry One Tear

I don't think any other songs come close lyrically.

slavemason
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:16 AM
I was going to suggest Failure by the Swans, they're some sad guys. Check out some of the Handsome Family. I don't know any song titles off the top of my head, they're all pretty dark (except for Stupid Bells, it may be sad but it makes me laugh).

Protoclown
Feb 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Flogging Molly - "Far Away Boys" (the saddest one I have ever heard)
Tom Waits - "A Little Rain"
Tom Waits - "Ruby's Arms"
Beck - "Lost Cause"
Joy Division - "Atmosphere"

Sledge
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Soul asylum-runaway train >:

sspadowsky
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Dammit, Proto beat me to it. Those are the exact Tom Waits songs I was going to suggest. I think "Ruby's Arms" may well be the saddest song ever written. "Take it With Me" is another good one of Tom's.

Also "In Spite of Me" by Morphine. :tear
________
Gossip Girl Forum (http://www.tv-gossip.com/gossip-girl/)

Black Flag
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:04 PM
"For Want of" by Rites of Spring

Helm
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Oh, I'm with Black Flag on this one. Very emotionally charged song. The lyrics are plain but honest. Generally, End on End is amazing in the emotion department. "I can't sing this song without wondering why."

Protoclown
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Dammit, Proto beat me to it. Those are the exact Tom Waits songs I was going to suggest.

If you ever needed proof that great minds think alike, HERE IT IS!

Ninjavenom
Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:24 PM
Forgot about Metallica's "One".

CastroMotorOil
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:53 PM
damn ninja that is waht i was gonna say, well a good second choice would be Down- Learn From This Mistake

wreckreation
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
linkin park- in the end

Bennett
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
linkin park- in the end

:lol

Matt Harty
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:27 PM
YMCA by The Village People

Skulhedface
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
damn ninja that is waht i was gonna say, well a good second choice would be Down- Learn From This Mistake

OH YEAH! I forgot all about that one. Stone the Crows as well, if you're not counting lyrics.

CastroMotorOil
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:48 AM
beutifully depressed as well.

Protoclown
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:03 AM
WHAT IS THE SOUND OF ONE EYE CRYING? :tear

sadie
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:56 AM
todd rundgren's "hello, it's me" pierces me even after all these years.

Helm
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM
LIKE AN OLD RUSTY SCREWDRIVER?

sadie
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:29 PM
mmm.

SisterOFMercy
Apr 12th, 2003, 01:37 AM
It's raining men by the weather girls.

The_Rorschach
Apr 12th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Might be just bad memories, but I have to say "Cry Love" by John Hiatt. And of course, "Oh Danny Boy" needs no mentioning. You'd have to blackhearted or British not to feel a bit broken after hearing it. Oddly enough, the song isn't even of Irish origin really :/

I downloaded a couple songs I'd never heard of from this thread, because its one in the morning, and I'm exhausted, and I don't want to go to bed. Sleep is my newest enemy ;)

Before I comment, I just want to admit I have no taste. I hated Ruby's Arms. I could only stand a little over three minutes of it, before silencing it with a wince. It was like a a spoonful of mayonaise for my ears. Flogging Molly was alright, but I was expecting something with more of an Irish sound to it for some reason, like The Blood Of Cu Chulainn or something. I did like Morphine "In Spite Of Me" though.

Protoclown
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Dude, what the fuck? "Ruby's Arms" is easily one of the most beautiful songs I have EVER heard. Do you just not like Tom Waits or something? He does have a harsh voice but that's one of the things I love best about him.

The_Rorschach
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Oh shit. . .Kazaa said the artist was Tom Waits, but the vox were female, and sounded half hearted and lacking any real emotional persuasiveness. I might have to attempt another download.

I've never heard of Tim Waits. Punk and Grunge *(alternative, whatever) is just about all I know. Thanks for the note Proto

WorthlessLiar
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Opeth: Windowpane

I always feel a sense of lonliness when I listen to it.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: The Dead Flag Blues

One of the few songs that can actually give me chills.

sspadowsky
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I've never heard of Tim Waits.

TOM, GODDAMN YOU!

The best version of this song is the live version, from the album Big Time. And the female vox you heard on that one, I believe, was that Frente! band. Doesn't even compare to Tom's live version.
________
CHILDREN ZOLOFT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

Anonymous
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:43 PM
memories (http://www.popndeth.com/ddr4u/MEMORIES.mp3) by naoki feat. paula terry

jin
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Chojin, you can read me like a book.
That made me cry.
:tear
haEHHAEhAHE

Tom waits is the best singer ever.

His waltzing matilda is the best song i have ever heard.

The voice is so harsh and sorrowful, you can feel the pain and almost smell the cigarettes and whiskey.

jewishcarpenter
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Fake Plastic Trees & In Limbo - Radiohead
Little Melonae - Miles Davis & John Coltrane
Save Me - Aimee Mann

and most songs off of Elliott Smith's self-titiled album, especially Needle In the Hay, one of my favorite scene's on the Royal Tenenbaums is when that song starts playing.

Generator86
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Skulhedface, GREAT call on "Stone the Crows". I must've put that on a dozen mix tapes back in the day.

"Cease" by American Lesion.

Although it's not the saddest song I've ever heard, it is the saddest that I've heard recently. "Hello" by Evanescence.

Protoclown
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:59 PM
His waltzing matilda is the best song i have ever heard.

The voice is so harsh and sorrowful, you can feel the pain and almost smell the cigarettes and whiskey.

That's a beautiful song. Definitely one of my favorites. It's called "Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen)" off the album Small Change (in case you didn't know, or if someone else wanted to look for it).

SisterOFMercy
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:53 PM
actually the saddest song i've heard in a while is Dust in the Wind by kansas.

"and all your money won't another minute buy."

KevinTheOmnivore
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Gilbert O'Sullivan-- "alone again, naturally"

Pedro the Lion-- "the longer i lay here"

Elliott Smith-- "2:45 am"

Gram Parsons- "tonight the bottle let me down"

Gin Blossoms- "29"
"pieces of the night"
"as long as it matters"

I'm telling you, regardless of your opinion of them, the Gin Blossoms wrote some of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

Queefer Sutherland
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Proto, you are so right about Atmosphere. That song is as sad as they come. Even the video has a truly profound emotional impact, and that's very rare.

Ronnie Raygun
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
5 STARS FOR FAILURE - JOY ELECTRIC

CHECK IT OUT......DOWNLOAD IT......SADDEST SONG EVER!!

The_Rorschach
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Not to change the topic, but I fucking love Joy Electric. Maybe its just growing up in the eighties, but something about monosynth says childhood.

Burgandy Years is my favourite by them. I've never heard Five Stars for Failure though, and I thought I owned all of their LPs.

kellychaos
Apr 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM
"Sam Stone" by John Prine

Ronnie Raygun
Apr 28th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Ror, I can't believe you even know who JE is. The creator of JE's name is Ronnie Martin and he has a brother who is in a band called Starflyer 59. They also have a very sad song called "The Starflyer 2000 Reprise". I've met Ronnie a few times. He's a really cool guy and what some people here would call .... an extremeist ringt wing christian zealot.

5 Stars for failure was a single than had a few remixes on it. It's like no other JE song. You should check it out. If you would like, I might be able to burn it and send it to you or maybe send it by e-mail.

The Retro Kat
Apr 28th, 2003, 05:43 PM
I think "Ghosts of Freedom" by Iced Earth. Although, it might just be very passionate. I'm not sure, but its powerful.

The_Rorschach
Apr 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM
That'd be great. I've been looking for it, but noone has it. Not even on Kazaa, which is my last resort when looking Cee Dees I'd like to own.

Yeah, been a JE fan for a couple years now, so I kind of appreciate it. You can reach me by:

Elkor_Alish@hotmail.com or
Elkor_Alish@yahoo.com

Whichever works for you.

Ronnie Raygun
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:01 PM
I don't get on the computer that much away from work so it might take a couple of weeks.

Skaquabat330
May 5th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Probably among the saddest I've heard are by Pedro the Lion:

"Priests & Paramedics" (#1 on /cry list)

"June 18, 1976"

"Bad Things to Such Good People"