PDA

View Full Version : Sly to Produce Reality TV Boxing Series

Zebra 3
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Sylvester Stallone is getting back into boxing this time finding and grooming young fighters to compete in a reality television show.

The 57-year-old star of the five Rocky movies will be executive producer of The Contender working with reality mogul Mark Burnett (The Apprentice and Survivor) and Jeffrey Katzenberg, a founder of DreamWorks SKG.

Stallone and Burnett, speaking at a news conference at a downtown boxing club Tuesday, said the NBC series will focus on the lives of boxing hopefuls in and outside the ring. NBC executroids said the show will likely air in the 2004-05 season.

"Rocky wasn't about boxing; it was about the people around him who gave him reason to go on," said Stallone, who originated the role of hard-luck fighter Rocky Balboa role in the 1976 best-picture Oscar winner.

The idea of the new series was hatched by Katzenberg, the former Disney executroid who went on to form his own studio with Steven Spielberg and David Geffen.

The series will follow would-be boxers from training camp through challenges in the ring over 16 episodes, with the winner getting $1M and the chance to become a professional prize fighter. The boxers will fight one another in a weekly elimination process similar to other reality shows. Producers haven't decided the weight class of the boxers yet.

Stallone said he will jump into the ring during the series and spar with some of the boxers. He believes the show will give boxers a Rockyesque chance at their dream.

"The door is now wide open again for you to have the opportunity to walk through it," Stallone said, speaking to potential contestants.

Both he and Burnett expressed disenchantment with professional boxing today, saying the sport is often misrepresented on many fronts and has too many federations.

mesobe
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM
yay. soon they will have monkeys hosting a reality show where contestants compete for cash by throwing feces at each other.

the show will be called... "Who Flug Poo"

one other small detail: has anyone noticed that Stalone is a HOLLYWOOD MOVIE ACTOR AND NOT A *REAL* BOXER???

I mean Im sure me probably owns a pair of boxing gloves. Who doesnt? me and my brother are known to have fun recreational boxing matches in the front yard...

DementedElf
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Well it's no suprise really, they gave that numbnuts Trump a show and I am fairly certain he's a complete idiot, and I know Stallone is.

Zbu Manowar
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Mark Burnett must be stopped. What the fuck is this loser doing, hanging with Has-Beens and giving them another shot at the limelight. So far, the only bit of useless reality I've gotten from that damn Trump show is that Trump's hair looks like a retard cut it with a near-empty zippo. Seriously, the asshole needs money if he expects to get his end off.

Now he's courting Stallone by making the reality TV version of Rocky V? Here's an idea: how about Stallone just goes back to living in luxury and forgetting about ever doing another movie again. Lord knows I don't need this show to be considered a hit so the next season he can start retreading his past failures via reality TV. Do any of you want to see Over the Top: The Series? Or perhaps the immortal Stop Or My Mom Will Shit?

Or maybe a retread of Rambo III where Rambo wins Afghani freedom, then ices them all down with an M-60. Or did I ruin his next attempt to prove to everyone he's still living?