I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Mothman Festival! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69707835)

k0k0 Oct 24th, 2011 10:29 PM

I wonder if they'd let you mix them up with a 'fruity mothman goes bananas'. I wonder what the mothman would think about people calling him fruity. It's like they're beckoning to come back and get cursed again.

Kitsa Oct 24th, 2011 10:39 PM

I don't know, I'm kind of picturing a mothman-Paul Lynde hybrid situation and I think that's worse than the original.

Kitsa Oct 25th, 2011 04:41 PM

For anyone interested, here's that MonsterQuest episode.

Fathom Zero Oct 25th, 2011 05:09 PM

Honestly, those prices aren't really that bad for carnival food. I've been at state fairs with $7 turkey legs and stuff.

Kitsa Oct 25th, 2011 07:50 PM

Nah, nothing was bad at all. The only drawback, as I said, was the horrible omnipresent stench of mothballs, which is absolutely incompatible with food smells. We had Mothman Pancakes, and during the Miss Mothman Pageant we had some cotton candy for $2.50. We were quite amused because cheerleaders were running the refreshment booth and didn't know what to do when I handed them a five. The cheerleader getting my order went blank, asked a friend, and the friend ran off for her mom. When I told them I was to get $2.50 in change, they seemed to think I was ripping them off.

Evil Robot II Oct 25th, 2011 10:47 PM

I want a mothman patch cable

k0k0 Oct 25th, 2011 10:53 PM

I went looking for the exact same mothman for president shirts and god damn they're expensive. 21 dollars plus 8.95 shipping from ebay is what they want for them. I haven't bought a shirt under 15 dollars since I was a kid. I guess I'll have to wait until I can visit there and get it on the cheap.

Kitsa Oct 25th, 2011 10:56 PM

I doubt it would be on the cheap there...maybe no shipping. The Mothman Pancakes shirts were I think $17.95, and I think I got my pink shirt with the stylized comic book mothman at the Mothman Museum for around $13. If you really like them, go to the gift shop site itself for a few dollars less.

Mothman for President Shirts

k0k0 Oct 25th, 2011 10:58 PM

Thanks for the link. I may end up buying it from them directly then! I didn't think that they'd be smart enough people to have it online. And if I get some disposable income that isn't taken by videogames, the mothman statues are kind of cool. I think I've just become a mothfan.

Kitsa Oct 25th, 2011 11:07 PM

West Virginians aren't particularly stupid. I've met plenty of people from other states who could beat them in a redneck doofus contest hands down. They know how to make a buck when an opportunity becomes available.

I think the Mothman thing is fascinating. If you have Netflix instant or other means to rent "Eyes of the Mothman", I highly recommend it as the completely exhaustive education on the subject.

Edit: I was seriously considering the Mothman Plush for my daughter's birthday. She was a weird kid anyway, but she came away from the festival drawing blobs with big red eyes and telling me, "This is Mothman. I love him."

k0k0 Oct 25th, 2011 11:13 PM

I think when I was in west virginia as a kid, I remember seeing so many rednecks. And one that scarred me for life. It was a morbidly obese black guy running a gas station in the middle of nowhere with a giant goiter on his neck. It looked like he had a mini second head sprouting from it. I try not to think about west virginia because it always pops into my head.

I am guessing my dad was just traveling through a strange part of west virginia and it's not all like that. Just like all of texas isn't cattle and farms.

Kitsa Oct 25th, 2011 11:17 PM

You might enjoy "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia".

Kitsa Oct 26th, 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Robot II (Post 747909)
I want a mothman patch cable

The cables were unmarked and unexplained, just out there in the middle of a display. My working theory is that, since the woman at the checkout was the one who gave the tours, it was audio stuff she needed and set out and maybe forgot where she put it.

Although, given the state of things, I would not have been at all surprised if someone drew two red blobs on it with a sharpie and tried to sell them as Mothman Patch Cables.

k0k0 Oct 26th, 2011 01:55 PM

You know, I could see Groundhog Day 2 taking place during the Mothman Festival. I'd definitely watch it.

Evil Robot II Oct 26th, 2011 02:58 PM

Does the mothman feed on improperly stored clothing?

Kitsa Oct 26th, 2011 06:36 PM

They did spread mothballs.

Lone Wanderer Oct 30th, 2011 04:28 PM

So many neat things in Ohio, I need to get outta my town more often.

RedCometXIII May 13th, 2012 02:46 PM

I was born in Gallipolis, OH; the town that the Silver Bridge connected Point Pleasant to across the Ohio River. I go through Point Pleasant and across the Silver Memorial Bridge whenever I trek back up there. I lived there the first 15 years of my life and it wasn't until I moved to North Carolina that I found out there was a Mothman festival. I was pissed when I found out since I never got to go.

I just happened to be visiting in OH during Mothman Prophecies opening weekend. Of course some friends and I went and saw it. The place was absolutely packed. Lines out the ass to see this movie. Too bad it sucked the big one.

I actually did venture into the TNT area once, the place where Mothman was supposed to live, along with being acquainted with a few people who dared to go there. It is one of the creepiest places in America. It's so quite all the time, like there's just no man or animal around, so whenever you hear something it grabs your attention immediately. Whenever you're in that area you feel a tremendous amount of unease. Didn't help that I found an abandoned vehicle while exploring the place, hazard lights on and drivers door open. I went into one of the munitions storage "igloos" while I was there but there was nothing of interest other than a garbage bag full of something. Coulda been a dead body which would have been interesting.

That entire area of Southeast Ohio/Northwest West Virginia is surreal. Like the entire region just doesn't feel right. It's so rural and so out of the way and everywhere you go there's forests, an image I've always connected with the supernatural. It's an interesting place for sure. I still want to go back to that TNT area one day.

Anyway, I was on the imockey main page and saw this topic on the front page and just wanted to comment. Glad to see people are still interested in the Mothman.

kahljorn May 13th, 2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

I went into one of the munitions storage "igloos" while I was there but there was nothing of interest other than a garbage bag full of something. Coulda been a dead body
http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/image...ine=1235708859

why wont it work :(

i give up

Tadao May 13th, 2012 09:56 PM

because it's filed as a php

Aaarg May 14th, 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCometXIII (Post 758930)
It's so rural and so out of the way and everywhere you go there's forests, an image I've always connected with the supernatural.

very few people here? must be some ghosts!!!!!

Zhukov May 14th, 2012 11:21 AM

RedComeXXX I disagree with you I think that the more people that there would be, then there would be more dead people, and then there owuld be more ghosts. Having less people and more ghosts just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, welcomme to the imockery forums and feel free to talk about other scary events in your life like mothman and such.

Kitsa May 14th, 2012 11:45 AM

I'll give you the unease thing. Every time I start to get near Point Pleasant I start to feel the same way, with no particular cause. I'd be interested to see if someone who was transplanted there with no knowledge of the history would also get the jibblies.

Always very relieved to leave Point Pleasant behind. It's got the eeyore dark cloud over it.

Big McLargehuge May 14th, 2012 01:10 PM

You east coasters are easily terrified. In Arizona we have a bunch of scary places with weird back stories, we call them towns.

Aaarg May 14th, 2012 01:36 PM

i use a coaster on my coffee table