I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Last Film(s) You Watched (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69698544)

Tadao Dec 21st, 2008 01:40 PM

That sucks Embee, maybe you should check out the book at the library. Books usually fill you in on a lot more than the movie does.

Embee90 Dec 21st, 2008 01:51 PM

Perhaps. The whole "stoned out of your fuckin' mind" thing never really has appealed to me anyway.

Tadao Dec 21st, 2008 01:55 PM

Don't ever let that stop you from reading Hunter S. Thompson books.

Kitsa Dec 22nd, 2008 03:40 PM

I heard Johnny Depp's personality forever changed after he stayed with Hunter S. Thompson for a while. I heard he lived in the basement.

Hunter S. Thompson's basement must have been scary as all hell.

Also, I have a stuffed duck named Hunter S. Thompson.

Hunter S. Thompson.

Tadao Dec 22nd, 2008 05:06 PM

H.S.T. was why I gave up all hope on politics and faith in mankind. He made life more real for me. Oh and Embee, most of H.S.T.'s work is written under the influence of alcohol.

bigtimecow Dec 22nd, 2008 08:20 PM

lemme see, this weekend we watched:

the cure - cute movie about a kid with aids :( very tear-worthy

wanted - gah, i had my doubts about this film. the first 30-minutes were very stylized and actually really good, but this style fell short for the rest of the movie. if you want sick action scenes, watch this. those scenes are shot very well

dodgeball - classic

animal house - double secret classic

;D pretty good weekend

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 22nd, 2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtimecow (Post 603497)

dodgeball - classic

If you still have this available to you on DVD watch it again. Everytime Ben Stiller snaps his fingers in the movie you can hit the ENTER button on your remote control for a hidden scene not found anywhere else.

Kitsa Dec 22nd, 2008 08:45 PM

elf. it was better than I thought it'd be.

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 26th, 2008 04:21 PM

Step Brothers again.

The year without santa claus - old claymation. Mickey Rooney is awesome.

The curious case of Benjamin Button. This was a really good movie. 3 hours long too.

WhiteRat Dec 26th, 2008 09:44 PM

Teeth

"It's true! Vagina Dentata! It's true!"

MailCall Dec 27th, 2008 06:07 AM

Raging Bull. Got the DVD for Krismus. DeNiro is great as Jake LaMotta--who consulted on the film. I saw an interview he did a while back with ESPN and that guy is the first to say what a jerk he was. That's honesty. But LaMotta was the most fun to watch until Ali came along. The Bronx Bull was a middle weight but he hit like a heavyweight. He knocked Laurente Dauthuille through the ropes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lamotta_dauth2.jpg
and fought Sugar Ray Robinson six times. Too bad he got mixed up with the mob--that pretty much ended his career. The movie shows him knocking Sugar Ray through the ropes but you know Hollywood: the like twisting a story like they work in a pretzel factory.

MetalMilitia Dec 29th, 2008 11:04 AM

[mild spoilers]

The Pianist
- Breathtakingly brilliant film. I loved this so much. It's an amazing testament to the human spirit that anyone could've survived the Warsaw ghettos which were so vividly portrayed in this film. My favourite part was near the end when a German officer, obviously aware that the Wermacht were losing at this point, discovers Wladyslaw Szpilman and asks him to play a song. Believing it to be the last song he will ever play it's as though he unleashes all the sorrow and anger that has built up within him thoughout the past 4 years in one perfect song. So taken with the brilliance of this the officer behins to help Szpilman to survive.

pac-man Dec 30th, 2008 10:36 AM

Finally saw The Wrestler. Great movie. Even if you don't like pro wrestling I'd recommend it. I'm not really big into it now, but I was in the 80s/early 90s and this movie had me thinking at times about the "whatever happened to him?" type guys. While it's got this dreary atmosphere, it's really a warm movie more often than not and there are some good laughs.

WhiteRat Dec 31st, 2008 10:53 AM

Maximum Overdrive.

It's definitely going to be filed in the "great movies to drink to" section.

10,000 Volt Ghost Dec 31st, 2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 605198)
Maximum Overdrive.

It's definitely going to be filed in the "great movies to drink to" section.

Have you seen it's counterpart called "Trucks" ?

MetalMilitia Jan 1st, 2009 10:16 AM

The Strangers - I'm pretty sure this is the spiritual sequel to When a Stranger Calls because they're both pointless, terrible and use the same basic premise that you never see the faces of the killer/s. It was so horribly clichéd I spent half the time groaning at the screen and discussing with my girlfriend how stupid the victims were being. For example at one point they discover a shotgun and a whole shoebox full of shells. Now what they should've done is gone into a room with only 1 way in and aimed at the door until morning. What they actually did was split up - one of them going outside with the shotgun into some dark woods. Urgh.
It has that stupid thing at the start where it says "BASED ON TRUE EVENTS" - presumably the true events were that someone died once and they filled in the rest with generic horror film scenes (Oh noes a shadowy figure is standing in the distance and in a blink he has disappeared!!)

Really really terrible shit load of crap. Never watch The Strangers

Bag Head - Though I figured out the plot before it finished it was still an enjoyable film. Check it out if you like independant low-budget horror/comedies.

Seven Pounds - This was the third film of the night I watched and by this point I was extremely drunk which hampered my enjoyment slightly. I think it's a good film, it has a decent premise and Wil Smith acts well. Worth a rent I'd say.

Sam Jan 2nd, 2009 07:07 PM

Yes Man - It was decent. I have the hugest crush on Zooey Deschanel.

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 2nd, 2009 08:03 PM

Watched Madagascar last night. Worth watching it alone for the Mafia penguins.

Later I watched Resident Evil: Degeneration. It was awesome. Can't wait for resident Evil 5 now(Still need to get a PS3 though.)

MetalMilitia Jan 3rd, 2009 05:19 AM

Ping Pong Playa' - Surprisingly enjoyable film about a Chinese teenager that wants to be a basketball player but ends up competing in a Ping Pong tournament. Some decent jokes along the way and a suitably heart-warning ending.

Taken - When an ex-government agent's daughter is taken during a trip to France he is forced to employ his skills to track down her captors and serve them some rough-justice. So far as action-thrillers go this was a really good one, basically if you liked Man on Fire then you'll like this.

Sam Jan 3rd, 2009 03:32 PM

Tropic Thunder - I love Robert Downey Jr. as Lincoln Osirus. :(

Uzumaki - It was creepy!

Last night I bought Resident Evil: Degeneration on Blu-Ray and I hope to watch it soon. :eek

Kitsa Jan 3rd, 2009 08:28 PM

I LOVE uzumaki but there is one part that really creeps me out. Not one of the standard jump scares, either.

I watched "Murderball" and loved it, although the way they focused on the neck scars made me a little self-conscious about mine.

Sam Jan 3rd, 2009 08:33 PM

Which part was it?

MetalMilitia Jan 3rd, 2009 10:22 PM

Man on Wire - Reasonably interesting documentary. The French are so weird.

Kitsa Jan 4th, 2009 11:57 AM

Re: Uzumaki....

Spoilers!

Sam Jan 4th, 2009 03:26 PM

Super High Me - I probably should have watched it high. :(

Maniac Cop - Made me :lol