I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Top 3 books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697198)

Madman914 Jan 21st, 2008 12:00 AM

It's a good read,no question. But only if you like Bruce Campbell's style of humor. His literary style alone equals the amount of awesome in any SEVEN books.

El Oh El Jan 21st, 2008 09:20 PM

Breakfast of champions
catcher and the rye
already dead

Tadao Jan 21st, 2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Oh El (Post 526162)
Breakfast of champions
catcher and the rye
already dead

Hey, can you do me a favor and go to the Hounds of Baskerville thread and tell me what it is about catcher in the rye that you like?

glowbelly Jan 22nd, 2008 10:24 AM

infinite jest - david foster wallace
beloved - toni morrison
everything mark twain has ever written

Kingofeurope Jan 23rd, 2008 10:49 AM

Harry Potter *gets shot*

executioneer Jan 23rd, 2008 12:59 PM

yeah but WHICH harry potter, you only get 3

Esuohlim Jan 23rd, 2008 01:08 PM

If there was a "Harry Potter Gets Shot" I would have to redo my list :(

executioneer Jan 23rd, 2008 02:36 PM

well maybe he gets shot in that "barry trotter" parody series, i haven't read those

JakeOfAllTrades Feb 1st, 2008 09:40 AM

Train Man by Hitori Nakano. That book gave me hope that a geek could find love.
On the Road by Jack Kerouac. One of the most profound books I've ever read. Dean Moriarty lives one screwed up life and faces the consequences, but he faces them with a smile.
Beowulf by Anonymous. This is the ultimate Fantasy book, it's an epic poem about the three stages of a man's life told in an epic legend. Great achievements are had in life, but even when Death's scythe cuts you down you will be remembered in song by those who appreciated you for who you truly were.

For an 18 year old kid I've read a lot more than my friends have, and have a broad understanding of what being a man in today's society is. Though I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

saizo_ogasawara Feb 9th, 2008 07:12 AM

The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

These books were the ones I've read with my girlfriend.

Fat_Hippo Feb 9th, 2008 02:47 PM

1. Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet: The Sex Scenes are HOT!:blowme:wank:eek Well, and it's actually a good book.
2. Die 13 1/2 Leben des Kapitän Blaubärs - Fucked up, but still funny. And German. Dunno if it's available in english.
3. To your Scattered Bodies go - 1. Book in the Riverworld series, which I can definitley recommend if you like intelligent science fiction and not, like, Star Trek.

Couple other good books are Rhinegold and Ilium. And nearly anything else by Ken Follet.

BlackHexen Feb 17th, 2008 08:25 PM

George Orwell - 1984: Atmosphere of this book is hopeless. For bohemian and liberal guy like me this is pure horror.
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451: Like 1984 this is also a dystopy-story withauthoritarianism ruining individual's life. Atmosphere isn't in this book so good as meaning: people themself are happy with "working for 6 days and watching tv at freetime" -lifestyle.
Bam STroker - Dracula: I listened Nightwish while reading this. Gothic, aaaahh.

Pub Lover Feb 17th, 2008 08:30 PM

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World normally rounds off that High School dystopia trifecta. :rolleyes

RPGmaker Feb 26th, 2008 07:27 PM

Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Wiess & Hickman (This book got me reading fantasy novels)

Dune

Dracula by Bram Stoker

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 26th, 2008 10:20 PM

I agree with Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Currently reading the unabridged version of Don Quixote and it's really good so far.

Pub Lover Mar 2nd, 2008 07:29 PM

Whose translation? Or the original Spanish?

Fathom Zero Mar 2nd, 2008 08:01 PM

My middle school trifecta.

Pub Lover Mar 2nd, 2008 08:31 PM

I really have no clue of what ages you have for school grades in the US, all your TV shows about it star 30 year olds. It's confusing, ok?

Fathom Zero Mar 2nd, 2008 09:28 PM

Ignorant Maori.

executioneer Mar 2nd, 2008 09:44 PM

high schools are generally the last four years before university(grades 9-12), middle schools are a bit more vaguely defined but if i had to guess i'd guess they're usually the three or four years before that (5 or 6-8)

Fathom Zero Mar 3rd, 2008 12:04 AM

You'd be correct in that. Mine was 7-8, but the one in this town is 6-8. It used to be 7-9.

lubna Apr 17th, 2008 03:20 PM

EDIT: SPAM POST WEARING A CLEVER DISGUISE :eek

kahljorn Apr 23rd, 2008 01:32 AM

I started reading the valis trilogy by phillip k dick and I have to admit that these are probably the best books I've ever read in my entire life.

also chuck pahlanuik is such a crappy writer! I tried to read "Choke" and it was so annoying and pretentious. ALL MY CHARACTERS ARE COOL AND ON THE EDGE AND THEY SAY THINGS SO THAT THEY SOUND COOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOOOOl. WHAT A REBEL.

To get a better idea of Chuck Pahlnuik whatevers writing I guess you should just imagine fight club starring David Arquette and some other dorky crappy actors playing all their parts and trying to sound cool.

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 26th, 2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Lover (Post 535754)
Whose translation? Or the original Spanish?

Walter Starkie translation.

Chuck Palaniuk's Invisible Monsters is really great. I haven't read Fight Club but I didn't like Lullaby or Diary. Most of his books just remind me of M Night Shylamon, where there's a mildly entertaining story with a big twist at the end. "What a twist"

glowbelly Apr 28th, 2008 07:26 AM

all of chuck p's books are the same. he should have stopped at fight club.