I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   LET'S ARGUE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697142)

Emu Apr 27th, 2008 12:59 AM

at least we finally got back to arguing about video games >:

Phoenix Gamma Apr 27th, 2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 551887)
Yeah, you're just a big buncha gay dudes. I bet you could get a vidya games show on Logo.

HAH! I don't even know what you're talking about, so I'm not even insulted! It's like my ignorance is rubber, and you're glue so whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

Fathom Zero Apr 27th, 2008 01:09 PM

Don't you have some Newgrounds to peruse, mate?

T-Rex Apr 28th, 2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 551929)
HAH! I don't even know what you're talking about, so I'm not even insulted! It's like my ignorance is rubber, and you're glue so whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

:-(

Guys, comparing Nintendo to Microsoft and Sony is like comparing a Family Car to a Sports Car. They're both cars but it's unfair to compare them. They both cater for different markets. Sure, a Sports Car is much more graphically powerful than a Nintendo Wii, but it doesn't have the Wireless Motion Control Wiimotes of a Family Car.

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 12:13 PM

@Fathom: No, I was too busy reading your whiny livejournal.

@T-Rex: I like that analogy, but it's missing something. Wii offers something that the competition doesn't, but I dunno if I can say that about a family car (having never owned one)

Zomboid Apr 28th, 2008 03:28 PM

Wii offers INNOVATIVE CONTROLS (that don't add a whole lot) and MARIO! What's not to like?! :picklehat

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 552125)
@Fathom: No, I was too busy reading your whiny livejournal.

I don't have one. Or is that a laugh you're trying to instill in others by saying that I did? 'Cause if it was, that was a dumb joke.

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 04:08 PM

Sorry, I thought we were arguing about video games, not about who's a bigger troll. lolseriousbusiness.

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2008 04:11 PM

Okay. If you were a video game character, you'd be Slippy Toad, douchebag.

What the hell is a troll, anyway?

Guitar Woman Apr 28th, 2008 04:23 PM

you guys are all 10 years old

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2008 04:28 PM

COME SAY THAT TO MY FACE. <

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 05:23 PM

And you'd be Panther, cause he's sooo dreamy, just like you <3

Anywho, back on topic, if you're going to blame anyone for videogame rehashes (not you specifically, but everyone in general), blame the fans. We got good stuff, then different stuff that was still good. Fan(boy)s wanted more of the old stuff, and companies scrambled to appease them (best example being Square and their million-bajillion-FF7-Sequel-Extravaganzmatazz). Then fans said "what the shit? We want original stuff too!"

Now companies are either saying "goddamnit. Fine, we'll shift gears again." or "fuck you we already started production on 5 different Final Fantasy XIIIs." I've noticed that Capcom is mixing things up a little here and there, as well as a few other companies. Then you've got the bands of disgruntled developers leaving one company to start another (Treasure, Mistwalker).

Plus, certain franchises carry more credibility than others. If you were forced to chose between a new Mario and a new Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, most people would probably go for Mario. It's only natural for people to stick with what they're more comfortable with (which makes entering the console race pretty hard too. I was surprised to see the XBox stick around.)

Moral of the story: when a company puts out a game it hasn't whored out for ages, you should buy it and encourage them to make more different shit, then when the company thinks they can cash in on a sequel, pass on it. Probably a bad mindset to think in, but it gets the point across.

(Also, do we REALLY need another Bioshock? Seriously, 100+ people work on games now and none of them can pitch anything better than "sequel to the best selling game of last year"? Oi Vey.)

Guitar Woman Apr 28th, 2008 05:29 PM

Excuse me, but isn't Capcom the poster child for endlessly releasing the same fucking game over and over again?

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 06:11 PM

Yea, buuuut....

I dunno. It feels like they're trying some different stuff. Then again, I can't think of any examples besides Okami. I'm sure there are others. Just...uh...lemme look on wikipedia for evidence to support my wild claims...

EDIT: okay, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, the upcoming Dark Void, and if you count Bionic Commando (because it's been, like, decades since the last one) then that's four...Okay, bad example.

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2008 09:56 PM

Hey, Bionic Commando was a great game and I was waiting for a fly-ass sequal. I loved the one for the GBC. The thing, with me at least, is that Nintendo seems to put more attention on their sequals and spinoffs as opposed to new shit. That seems to work for them, so what the hey. Capcom has put a lot of spotlight on their new games, while still seemingly releasing a new Mega Man game every month.

That's my opinion, that's how I feel, and it's neither right nor wrong.

Even though I'm right. :/

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 10:05 PM

Oh no, I never said it was bad. I loved it at lot (even though I wish it had jumping, but that's nothing to cry over.)

I just think that whether or not you count it in the same category as some of their other franchises (All 70 Mega Man series, Street Fighter II Turbo Mega Ultra Edition 2: Electric Boogaloo, etc.) is kinda up for debate. I could see them really milking it dry, but for the sake of preserving the integrity of the game, I hope they give it a break after the new games come out. Just let them stand as great nods to a great game.

And I must say, the remake looks fucking sick. I'm not too sure about the 'Next-Gen' version, but the second the classic music started up, I bought into it.

Fathom Zero Apr 28th, 2008 10:07 PM

Mike Patton is doing voicework for it. :\

Phoenix Gamma Apr 28th, 2008 10:13 PM

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. The only work of his that I'm familiar with is "the Angry Sphere" from Portal, which tells me zilch about what he's capable of.

Actually, now that I'm skimming through the wikipedia article, it's jogging my memory. I'm familiar with his music, but I haven't seen him doing any "conventional" voice acting (or rather, I haven't seen him do anything outside of music, though apparently he voiced in I Am Legend.)

I'll wait before I start groaning about it, though. I mean, I know Capcom has a history of laughable voice acting, but so long as I get some awesome Capcom music and get to move around like a maniac, there shouldn't be any problems.

I mean, it can't be any worse than Sonic's "big revival", right?

bigtimecow Apr 28th, 2008 10:19 PM

MIKE PATTON you numbskull

mr. bungle, fantomas, tomahawk, peeping tom

i know this isn't the music forum but JEEZ

Guitar Woman Apr 28th, 2008 11:04 PM

Mike Patton can suck a penis

Esuohlim Apr 28th, 2008 11:07 PM

NO

executioneer Apr 28th, 2008 11:10 PM

well if he did he'd swallow, he'd swallow, he'd swallow

Asila Apr 28th, 2008 11:20 PM

Oh God guys the mental image, why would yoooooou

Fathom Zero Apr 29th, 2008 03:52 PM

Good one, willie :lol

He did the Darkness as well.

Fat Ugly Drunk Apr 30th, 2008 06:24 AM

When my mate's blackberry-like thing is running low on power it does one of Patton's lines from The Darkness.
"THE LIGHT GROWS DIMMMMM!"
"Is that Patton?"
"Yeah."
"Cool... You tosser. :)"
":)"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 552261)
Mike Patton is doing voicework for it. :\

I saw the trailer, he sounds like an 80s OTT action hero, totally serious and unintentionally funny as fuck.
Awesome.

...Fantomas need to start doing videogame soundtracks.

Fathom Zero Apr 30th, 2008 07:46 AM

Except for the fact that it doesn't exist anymore.

Guitar Woman Apr 30th, 2008 12:46 PM

the guy you have to fight at the end of the Dead Sea in Chrono Cross is the most unfair shit I've ever seen in a game

I really like this game, too, but now I can't go any further :<

Emu Apr 30th, 2008 04:33 PM

Yeah, he's a pain in the ass. :< You basically just have to get lucky because he'll spam Holy Dragon Sword on you for the entire battle. If you have any element-switchers other than Turn Black those are good too

Misdemonar May 2nd, 2008 12:32 AM

so who likes PLANESCAAAAPE?

Fat_Hippo May 2nd, 2008 09:51 AM

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Misdemonar May 2nd, 2008 02:50 PM

yea but i dont care about you

Chojin May 3rd, 2008 01:30 AM

so i finally got my sega tower (sega cd v.1, genesis v.1, 32x) and the controller ports on the genesis don't work ;_;

Fathom Zero May 3rd, 2008 12:26 PM

Looks like you gotta crack her open.

10,000 Volt Ghost May 3rd, 2008 03:02 PM

Does anyone still play FFXI?

Chojin May 5th, 2008 09:01 PM

10KVG - I don't think anyone ever did.

Got a new used genesis mk.1 from POWER GAMER II downtown for about $26. This one works! Ebay guy wants the 32x back if I'm to get a fulll refund, hopefully he'll accept giving me a partial refund of $26 instead.

I'm really stuck on this adventure game for the 3DO i've been playing between games of mario kart :<

Also, I only have one game for my Sega CD and I can already tell that it's the worst system between it, the CD-i, and the 3DO.

Zomboid May 5th, 2008 09:10 PM

Wrong. It had lethal enforcers and dragon's lair. Sewer Shark was fun too.

Chojin May 5th, 2008 09:38 PM

I was talking specs-wise. Also, those games are on both the 3DO and CD-i in higher bits.

Chojin May 5th, 2008 09:39 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-dipscKg4

Here's the adventure game I'm playing on 3DO. WHAT GRAPHICS :eek

Emu May 5th, 2008 09:46 PM

I think that's a pretty accurate rendition of Hell

hahahaha that judo chop to the back of the neck had me giggling like a schoolgirl

Chojin May 5th, 2008 09:46 PM

Oh and here's a game that rog recommended I play:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NqOaRtDMc2E

They don't show the SONG AND DANCE NUMBER from the intro :'<
But this has simultaneous 2-player with a black quazar!

executioneer May 6th, 2008 03:45 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8GFj6hPa3A0
this one has the song and dance, but the rest of the intro's in uhh german i think

Girl Drink Drunk May 6th, 2008 05:12 PM

Chojin, have you played this game? http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6IIVBwFow :lol

Chojin May 6th, 2008 05:34 PM

lol

no, but I have torrents of all the CD-i and 3DO games known to man and I will have to play that one next :<

Phoenix Gamma May 6th, 2008 06:24 PM

I prefer Mutant Rampage as my CD-i game of choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HjsMkNxF8

Chojin May 6th, 2008 06:26 PM

Hey I'm playing Mutant Rampage right now! I'm on the third set of bosses, but probably don't have enough lives saved up to beat the game :<

Phoenix Gamma May 6th, 2008 06:46 PM

I just watch the intro for the screaming pterodactyl-baby and the footage of each character's one move.

Wait, the third guy has two moves, huh?

I do hear the game is more tolerable than most CD-i games (not that it's a difficult task)

Guitar Woman May 6th, 2008 07:52 PM

RUINED THE WORLD'S CITIES

Guitar Woman May 7th, 2008 08:34 PM

THIS JUST IN:

People playing Strikers are still douchebags!

WhiteRat May 8th, 2008 06:48 PM

Just received three Saturn games from Ebay today. I got Fighting Vipers, Galactic Attack, and Panzer Dragoon for about 12 bucks.

Grislygus May 8th, 2008 06:53 PM

Fighting Vipers was so great

Chojin May 8th, 2008 08:46 PM

i bought the jap version of fighting vipers at a power gamer store for $17 or something a year ago :< and yes, it is still great :<

Chojin May 9th, 2008 07:27 PM

Man, the ending to hell was shorter than most of the conversations you have. What gives.

Chojin May 9th, 2008 07:42 PM

Also I got beheaded in a totally rad way and a combat buddy shot my face off. If I can reach the cables over here or get fraps to work right with Freedo I'll put all the cutscenes up on youtube.

Chojin May 9th, 2008 08:47 PM

In the future, passwords will be replaced by solving puzzles and other assorted brain-teasers.

Zomboid May 11th, 2008 11:03 AM

Chojin had his edit button taken away too.

timrpgland May 11th, 2008 01:32 PM

I'm happy cause I recently got Secret of Mana back...... shut up GW :(

Guitar Woman May 11th, 2008 03:04 PM

HOW DARE YOU DISCUSS GAMES I DISLIKE

Emu May 11th, 2008 04:05 PM

If Secret of Mana had Secret of Evermore's engine, graphics and partner AI it would've been one of the best SNES games, maybe.

Phoenix Gamma May 11th, 2008 04:12 PM

Meh, I never got into Secret of Mana. It kinda bored me when I downloaded it recently, and the newer Mana games are all pretty much garbage. Especially Children of Mana. I can't believe I actually payed for that game.

T-Rex May 13th, 2008 07:33 AM

Guys, this is only 89 years from now. The future, I just can't wait!

Chojin May 15th, 2008 04:06 AM

I HAVE YOUR WONDERSWAN NOW, FATHOM ZERO, HA HA HA

T-Rex May 15th, 2008 07:18 AM

"Want some Wonderswan?"

Fathom Zero May 15th, 2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 555890)

I HAVE YOUR WONDERSWAN NOW, FATHOM ZERO, HA HA HA

AWW FUCK. COME ON, SCHIMID.

Phoenix Gamma May 15th, 2008 10:18 AM

The Sega Tower! It DOES exist! I thought it was just a myth!

Also, that is the most tangled mass of wires I've ever seen.

Guitar Woman May 15th, 2008 01:07 PM

really?

You must take good care of your consoles, or not have more than three.

Chojin May 15th, 2008 04:57 PM

I've run most of the wires along the back of those planks. Also, without the flash on a camera you can't really see all those wires toward the back of the racks.

I also need a power base converter for my tower of babil:

Chojin May 15th, 2008 05:00 PM

I'm also using up all the ports on my two 5-console switchboxes and need to get a third ;<

And powersquids are a godsend when you're trying to hook up 15 different bulky AC adapters to the same outlet

Girl Drink Drunk May 15th, 2008 05:16 PM

I believe it was Willie that said "assburgers" first.

Phoenix Gamma May 15th, 2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 555922)
really?

You must take good care of your consoles, or not have more than three.

NES, SNES, N64, GCN, PS2, and Wii. The only ones hooked up regularly are the PS2 and Wii, and the Wii is usually on a separate TV because I love playing Brawl on my HDTV with Surround Sound.

So yea, I never have much of a mess going on.

Emu May 15th, 2008 10:52 PM

speaking of having fathom zero's things, where my persona 2 at

Fathom Zero May 16th, 2008 11:17 AM

It's in my possession and will be shipped on Monday! :)

Emu May 16th, 2008 12:31 PM

:wank

Emu May 16th, 2008 12:31 PM

Chojin, is that Chrono Trigger I see in your SNES?

Chojin May 16th, 2008 12:32 PM

yus

caffman May 16th, 2008 12:47 PM

What no gamecube?

Fat_Hippo May 16th, 2008 01:50 PM

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/sh...71&sid=6191106

Jesus Christ, people are starting to try and piss off even Nintendo now. Are people actually getting dumber by the day?

Chojin May 16th, 2008 05:33 PM

the gamecube is in the other room in front of the exercise bike ;<

Also I heard about that this morning on Kotaku - America wastes no time in getting its feelings hurt over truth, yet again.

Emu May 16th, 2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 556153)
Also I heard about that this morning on Kotaku - America wastes no time in getting its feelings hurt over truth, yet again.

(Pssst -- the little girl is British.)

Chojin May 16th, 2008 05:51 PM

O, when it was posted on the BIG K this morning I had the impression that it was an AMERICAN lass in question after all the comments, so I didn't read this incarnation of the article, which apparently has more facts.

YOUR FORGIVENESS, PLEASE

Guitar Woman May 16th, 2008 06:28 PM

:lol

Emu May 16th, 2008 06:57 PM

It's alright Chojin but I'm gonna expect a three paragraph essay about the importance of reading comprehension if you want to save your grade in this class!

Phoenix Gamma May 16th, 2008 07:26 PM

Us Americans sure are fat.

Anywho, the game wasn't meant for 10 year olds (lol casual gaming) so it's not accurate. I'm willing to wager she IS fat, though. Plus, the father said she was "solidly built". Totally a nice way of saying 'fat', or at least "husky".

Fathom Zero May 16th, 2008 07:30 PM

I still don't think you're right about Virtual On being the slightest bit different from Custom Robo.

executioneer May 16th, 2008 07:32 PM

the bmi is such a broken way to judge a person's fitness, if it had like something to actually detect a person's fat percentage apart from just weight it would be way better

Phoenix Gamma May 16th, 2008 07:36 PM

You shouldn't be relying on the Wii to tell you how fat you are in the first place.

Chojin May 17th, 2008 02:56 AM

Well if you consider that BMI is only wrong if you're dealing with muscular people, and then think about Wii Fit's target market, it makes a lot more sense.

Pentegarn May 17th, 2008 09:25 AM

I just assumed Wii Fit told everyone they were fat. In fact, if I ever get a Wii, my profile (what are they called on the Wii anyway? Mii?) will be named Fatty (Burgertime) McFatass

T-Rex May 20th, 2008 07:51 AM

"She is solidly built but not fat."

What is it with England & America in particular when it comes to stuff like this? They won't show a photo because eveyone who sees it will call them on their bullshit.

We're a fat nation full of fat fatties.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3964936.ece

Emu May 22nd, 2008 04:50 PM

I got the game, Fathom :hat Thanks :D

also

Why yes, that is Earthbound ;<

Pentegarn May 22nd, 2008 05:41 PM

I just sold my Earthbound. Sold a bunch of old school video games I was keeping but not playing. Bought a 360 and 7 games with the money I got from it.

Fathom Zero May 22nd, 2008 08:37 PM

Glad to know you got it alright.

Pentegarn May 23rd, 2008 06:37 AM

Here's a bit of news from the world of "Justice is finally served"

http://kotaku.com/5010087/judge-says...a-bully-trials

executioneer May 23rd, 2008 01:07 PM

haw haw

WhiteRat May 23rd, 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentegarn (Post 557296)
I just sold my Earthbound. Sold a bunch of old school video games I was keeping but not playing. Bought a 360 and 7 games with the money I got from it.

One of those games is GTA 4, right?

Pentegarn May 25th, 2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 557418)
One of those games is GTA 4, right?

Here's the list...

Dead Rising
Blue Dragon
Lost Odessy
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
GTA IV
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Special Edition
NCAA Football 2008

Zomboid May 25th, 2008 03:46 AM

I really enjoyed ultimate alliance, dead rising, and oblivion. I hope you do too :)

Pentegarn May 25th, 2008 08:50 AM

I beat Dead Rising recently, there's something really fun about free roaming zombie genocide :P

WhiteRat May 25th, 2008 03:15 PM

You need to get on Live so I can whoop yo azz in NCAA Football.

Pentegarn May 25th, 2008 04:56 PM

One of these days, I may move to a place in Columbus that actually has real internet capabilities instead of the psudo cellular internet I have to MacGuyver together :P Then I can get on live

WhiteRat May 25th, 2008 11:52 PM

Picked up MK2, NBA Jam TE, Croc, and Bust-A-Move 2 for Saturn off Ebay today. Yesterday I won 6 Sega CD games including Third World War. Finally, 13 years after reading the review for Third World War in Game Players Magazine, i'll be able to play it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thi...mputer_game%29