I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Street Fighter 2 Tournament! (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17842)

Schimid Jul 17th, 2005 06:26 PM

Street Fighter 2 Tournament!

Long, long ago, we had a MvC2 tournament here at I-Mock. It was a heated struggle filled with eight (i think) competitors, with Sam (then known as Teh Gay Furry) coming out over me in the final round, which is how he got his title.

We said we were going to set out to do a MvC2 doubles tournament, but it was decided that this would be way too hard to co-ordinate. So, in light of this, I give you another tournament.

SUPER STREET FIGHTER II

Just like the last tournament, anyone may participate. We can have up to 16 fighters, one for each character. After every fighter has been chosen, I'll draw the names out of a hat to see who fights who, and we'll go on from there.

But in order to play, you'll need to get the tools first. I won't give details on how to get them yet, because we're gonna have a vote on whether to play the Genesis or SNES version (We're not using MAME, it gives too many problems.) I like the Genesis version better myself, but it's up to you guys.

As event co-ordinator, I call the best character in the game. Ken. Sorry, you can't use him. Vega, Bison and Sagat are all open though. Go nuts.
Here are the characters:

Ryu - Zomboid
E. Honda - drumming4buddha
Blanka - Mad Melvin
Guile - Supafly345
Balrog - Rongi
Ken - Schimid
Chun Li - Skulhedface
Zangief - ScruU2wice
Dhalsim - King Hadas
Sagat - Sam
Vega - GADZOOKS
T. Hawk - Drev
Fei Long - Ninjavenom
Dee Jay - liquidstatik
Cammy - Jin
M. Bison - Helm

Maybe we'll add a prize for the winner like last time--a title, or maybe Rog'll give a bumper sticker or something. WHO KNOWS

Anyway, post here with your character and which version you prefer, the Genesis or SNES. After all the slots have been filled up (or things slow down), we'll get it started.

Zomboid Jul 17th, 2005 07:13 PM

Ryu - SNES

King Hadas Jul 17th, 2005 07:15 PM

Sign me up for Dhalsim, Genesis.

Rongi Jul 17th, 2005 07:56 PM

balrog

Ninjavenom Jul 17th, 2005 08:06 PM

Fei Long on Genesis.

Supafly345 Jul 17th, 2005 09:55 PM

God I wish we could do this with a MAN's fighting game.

Helm Jul 17th, 2005 10:14 PM

haha I've never played Street Fighter for more than 10 minutes in my whole life so I guess I will enter with Major Bison or something just so I can take out the stupidly overpowered character. Genesis version is my pick, also.

Helm Jul 17th, 2005 10:15 PM

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...wrom&id=162574

everybody use this rom. American version, perfect dump.

jin Jul 18th, 2005 12:30 AM

I Haven't played since i was 10, but i wouldn't mind giving it a shot with Vega- I played the famicom version, so is that the guy with the claw in American? ;O

I want the guy with the claw. ;<

Schimid Jul 18th, 2005 12:46 AM

Wow, I was expecting Vega to go quicker. He's my favorite character-wise, but I can't do shit with him.

Anyway, still nine fighters left. I'm glad so many people like the Genesis version, it's the only one I can play. In it, though, you have to press start to shift from punching to kicking, since there are only 3 buttons.

Or you can just put it on 6-button mode. But I like the other one better.

Helm Jul 18th, 2005 12:57 AM

6 button mode seriously. not that you won't kick my ass with 3 buttons, but just sayin

Schimid Jul 18th, 2005 04:03 AM

Me and Zomboid just practiced. You fuckers are so dead.

Alright, I decided level-wise, we're going to let you guys pick except in Jin's case. Vega isn't all that great fighter-wise, and one of his only perks is his level and the fact that he can climb the cage. So whoever Jin fights, it's always gotta be in Spain.

It's gonna be single elimination, probably best out of five rounds. The time limit for each match will be unlimited, so there are no draws. Attack power will be kept the same.

Mad Melvin Jul 18th, 2005 08:49 AM

I havent played this game in years, but i'll give it a go. I choose Blanka and the genesis version. I have never played online with Gens before, though. :/

Helm Jul 18th, 2005 10:15 AM

dude I think when you fight vega in 2 player the cage falls in EVERY stage you play in so no worries?

Also, I did some research on bison... I think I'll stand a chance. He's gay with the headjumps but I'll manage

Zomboid Jul 18th, 2005 10:58 AM

I dunno man, like schimid said, we were practicing and we went through all the characters and vega was used a couple times and the cage was only on his level.

And yes, Bison is pretty good.

Supafly345 Jul 18th, 2005 11:03 AM

Well since I was told to... Guile.

jin Jul 18th, 2005 12:32 PM

neat ;D

Chojin Jul 18th, 2005 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schimid
Vega isn't all that great fighter-wise, and one of his only perks is his level and the fact that he can climb the cage. So whoever Jin fights, it's always gotta be in Spain.

Dude, are you high? Vega is the best character in the goddamn game if you know how to use him ;<

Schimid, really, you shouldn't have people pick characters for a fighting game tournament. It should just be people vs people, and they can pick whomever. Otherwise it's a little stupid, like DDR tournaments that use points instead of Perfects.

Sam Jul 18th, 2005 04:16 PM

Re: Street Fighter 2 Tournament!

Quote:

Long, long ago, we had a MvC2 tournament here at I-Mock.

It was MvC1 :rolleyes

And I'll be Sagat since that's the closest to Ryu I can get. :(

Schimid Jul 18th, 2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin
Dude, are you high? Vega is the best character in the goddamn game if you know how to use him ;<

Any character could be the best character in the game if you knew how to use them. Except maybe T. Hawk, I don't know. One of Vega's biggest perks is that he gets the cage, I think that should be kept in.

I like the idea of every person in the tournament only getting to use one character. I don't know why. I guess it does kinda suck though for people that're gonna be left with the lame guys. We might change it later, who knows.

Sam Jul 18th, 2005 04:28 PM

TYGAR TYGAR

TYGAR KNEE

Helm Jul 18th, 2005 07:19 PM

oh shit, you're playing Sagat?

fuck

King Hadas Jul 18th, 2005 10:01 PM

Well I've been training with Dhalsim non stop for the better part of an hour now and have gotten as good with him as I care to get with a keyboard. I hope I'm not the only one whose going to be in this tournament without a controller.

Zomboid Jul 18th, 2005 10:12 PM

I'm considering whippin' out my sidewinder controller but that might be a little unfair :(

Chojin Jul 18th, 2005 10:49 PM

Schimid, you can shut down pretty much anything with Vega's speed.

King Hadas Jul 18th, 2005 10:59 PM

Chojin, I dont think anyone would have a problem with you and Jin both playing as Vega.

GADZOOKS Jul 18th, 2005 11:25 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be a Samurai Shodown tournament >:

nothing4buddha Jul 19th, 2005 12:19 AM

I'll be E. Honda cos Sam told me so.

Skulhedface Jul 19th, 2005 12:29 AM

No Ryu, no Ken? No Vega and Sagat?

Dammit... then I guess I'll go with Chun-Li.

Schimid Jul 19th, 2005 12:33 AM

Okay, I got you guys in.

I doubt anyone is going to pick the remaining four (Zangief, T. Hawk, Dee Jay, Cammy). We'll give it one more day before starting.

EDIT - Spoke too soon--our good buddy Saad and our banned buddy Danny have signed up for Zangief and Dee Jay, respectively.

Also, Rongi, Liquid says he's going to beat your ass down.

Drev Jul 19th, 2005 12:47 AM

Ok I get T. Hawk

jin Jul 19th, 2005 01:13 AM

I think the top tier was Sagat, Dhalsim, and maybe Ken? ;0

Guile was okay too ;>

I pretty much used Vega for his air superiority and reach, moreso than any cage-specific moves ;O

If possible, i'd like to amend my choice to Cammy. ;>

I was thinking of just turbo ;o

GADZOOKS Jul 19th, 2005 01:38 AM

If their is anyone left I'll do it. if not I'll wait for another tournament (samurai shodown >: )

ItalianStereotype Jul 19th, 2005 01:39 AM

man, when are you guys gonna play a GOOD game?

executioneer Jul 19th, 2005 02:03 AM

like what

Schimid Jul 19th, 2005 02:11 AM

Alright, everyone's been picked then. I'm drawing the names out of a hat now and I swear by Poseidon's trident that I have no prior knowledge of the pairings.

Ryu (Zomboid) vs. Cammy (Jin)

Ken (Schimid) vs. E. Honda (drumming4buddha)

Sagat (Sam) vs. Blanka (Mad Melvin)

Chun-Li (Skulhedface) vs. Dee Jay (liquidstatik)

M. Bison (Helm) vs. Dhalsim (King Hadas)

Guile (Supafly345) vs. Fei Long (Ninjavenom)

Vega (GADZOOKS) vs. Zangief (ScruU2wice)

T. Hawk (Drev) vs. Balrog (Rongi)

There you go, guys. I'll expect you guys to IM each other to set everything up. Do each of the matches on your own time, talk to me on AIM (fuzz bombshell) if you have any problems contacting your opponent. I don't think it'll be necessary to take screenshots of each victory, I'll just expect you guys to be honest. Saturday is the deadline--if the match isn't completed, whoever I've been in contact with will continue on in the tournament.

GO.

ItalianStereotype Jul 19th, 2005 02:20 AM

good games. like guilty gear.

Chojin Jul 19th, 2005 10:01 AM

I'm no good at SSFT ;< But among fighting game enthusiasts it's pretty much a given that the most dangerous 3 in this game are Vega, Cammy, and Zangief. ;<

We should have an MK2 tournament at some point, that would be RAD. MAME version, though. And none of this gay character picking. Gay.

Zomboid Jul 19th, 2005 11:32 AM

I was telling schimid that too, but I wouldn't want it on MAME >:

And I agree with ya about the dangerous sf2 characters, but you forgot chun li. I fucking hate that bitch when the computer controls her >:

Sam Jul 19th, 2005 11:43 AM

Wait so do we have to play it on SNES or Genesis or what? :(

Also if someone has the ROM and the emulator it'd be cool if they shared it. :X

Mad Melvin Jul 19th, 2005 11:52 AM

I have Gens and the ROM from the link that Helm posted.

Helm Jul 19th, 2005 12:17 PM

yeah everybody get the same dump, please. Also, learn how to use kalliera with gens and tell me how.

Guy I'm playing against, contact me on MSN: Helm21 att Hotmail.com

Zomboid Jul 19th, 2005 12:35 PM

Get the emulator from here: http://www.retrobase.net/gensplus/

Put the rom from the link helm posted in the emulator's rom folder. You need to have it in there to play netplay with it.

To go to netplay, open the emulator, go to netplay, go to the server you and your partner choose, and either click "create new game" if no one has yet, or join the game your opponent already made, then get started.

Me and schimid played at the default attack level (4 stars) so I think everyone should do the same but I dunno how this thing's being done.

edit: I tried gettin it from where helm linked and it said it was corrupted...if anyone has that version please send it to me...if a lot of other people have that problem, me and schimid have a good version of it.

Schimid Jul 19th, 2005 01:34 PM

Alright, official rules:

- Attack power must be at 4. If anyone goes above, they'll be disqualified and if they go below, well...then they'll probably lose anyway.

- Matches are best out of five rounds. This means you have to go into Options and change the number of rounds, obviously. You can still do best of three, but I'm leaving the possibility open for best of five, to give you guys more of a chance.

- Everyone get the ROM that Helm posted. If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, talk to your opponent about an alternative. I found an excellent dump at EmuReactor, but you have to log-in. Use my name--Username "Schimid", password "superman".

- If your opponent fails to talk to you before the match, tell me and I'll take it into consideration. If you two don't have your match and I don't hear from your opponent, I'll put you in the next bracket. If I hear from both of you but the match is never completed, there'll be a double elimination. Sorry guys.

That's about all I can think of. Go nuts.

Helm Jul 19th, 2005 02:10 PM

never had a rom corrupt from planetemu. Delete the dummy file and redownload from windows explorer. Be certain to delete the old dummy corrupted file before, because if you save over or resume it WILL corrupt.

Ninjavenom Jul 19th, 2005 03:57 PM

Drop me out and move Supafly up, something came up and i'll be gone for the rest of the week.

Sam Jul 19th, 2005 04:15 PM

I'm very excited about this and I've been thinking about Street Fighter all day today and having matches in my mind because I'm way too into it. :(

executioneer Jul 19th, 2005 04:20 PM

lol @ guilty gear

isn't that the game where one of the characters has an anchor the size of their entire body for a weapon, and another one attacks with her hair :lol

executioneer Jul 19th, 2005 04:21 PM

why not just play evil zone while you're at it :lol

ItalianStereotype Jul 19th, 2005 04:48 PM

as opposed to a dude who is really stretchy and a big green electric monster?

I liked Evil Zone :<

I know at least three other people on the boards who play Guilty Gear: Jin, Schimid, and either Skulhedface or Cap'n Bubba. it's what all the cool kids are doing.

Helm Jul 19th, 2005 05:04 PM

I don't play guilty gear because it looks stupid. SSF looks stupid too, but when I played it as a kid I couldn't tell because of all the 80's cool. Anyway I've been practising a little and I think I've gotten the hang of Bison pretty well in most cases. Ken occasionally destroys me if I fight him close to last, as does Sagat almost constantly. If sagat is played by the CPU on unforgiving mode, he can attack and cover himself almost 100% Especially with the fucking tiger knee eliminating air attacks.

Rongi Jul 19th, 2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Also, Rongi, Liquid says he's going to beat your ass down.

he still posts here?

GADZOOKS Jul 19th, 2005 05:32 PM

Woah, how did I end up with one of the best characters around?

Since Ninjavenom is dropping out and techinically no one started yet, we can still wait for a pinch hitter to take his place.

Also schimid, if you want to use that gay bracket we had for the MvC tournament as a tempelate. IM ME, I think it's on the photbucket account we made.

GADZOOKS Jul 19th, 2005 05:52 PM

Also, me a Rongi were trying to practice but netplay doesn't show up on his file menu, and we have the smae emulators.

Helm Jul 19th, 2005 06:06 PM

there's a few different 'gens' around. Get the one in this thread. If rongi doesn't find the netplay then, under the first drop-down menu, he's an idiot.

If anybody want to practise with me, again, msn or aim me. AIM is everopening

GADZOOKS Jul 19th, 2005 07:07 PM

Yeah, he did have it. But for some reason he unzipped in in Winzip classic and that's why it didn't show up.

Same here, if anyone wants to kick my ass or if we have a match my AIM is ABoatshowVisitor. :(

Schimid Jul 21st, 2005 03:01 AM

Okay, big news. The Genesis emulator is shitty and is de-synching all of our fights. Thus, we're going to migrate to MAME--it gives more problems to start up, but is much better at keeping the fights stable.

The deadlines for all fights have been extended until next Saturday, which is more than enough time for all of you to finish your fights. I'll post a link to a suitable emulator and ROM in the morning.

executioneer Jul 21st, 2005 03:33 AM

schimid are you aware that your avatar is like over a meg and a half :(

Schimid Jul 21st, 2005 03:43 AM

there's your answer

Helm Jul 21st, 2005 06:11 AM

again, rom-world or planetemu for a US or World build whatever you want. Mame emulators are a pain to play online with and what's more, the actual game is somewhat different ( bigger sprites, different AI not that it matters for versus fights, scale stuff, bounding boxes etc) so I guess more training.

Zomboid Jul 21st, 2005 07:08 AM

Yeah, I really don't like the idea of movin to mame...Got really used to my button setup for gens. I don't get why people are havin problems. Me and you had no problems schimid.

Sam Jul 21st, 2005 11:39 AM

If we play it on MAME we can play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo :o

Helm Jul 21st, 2005 04:39 PM

if we play on mame we might as well play Alpha 2 or something

Zomboid Jul 21st, 2005 07:52 PM

Yeah, really. I liked the idea of playin it on snes or genesis cause it was really simple and everyone could do it. Makin it on mame and playing turbo or something sucks >:

GADZOOKS Jul 21st, 2005 09:31 PM

We might as well play a diffrent game then, because it's no fun desyncing constantly. :(

Chojin Jul 21st, 2005 09:54 PM

you don't play fighting games over the internets, you silly homos.

GADZOOKS Jul 21st, 2005 09:59 PM

I'm going back to nintedo, fudge it!

King Hadas Jul 21st, 2005 10:26 PM

While you guys are sorting all this crap out, now that I know how netplay works anyone here want to play some Streets of Rage with me?

ScruU2wice Jul 22nd, 2005 12:54 AM

I think I have to backout of this on account of my computer not downloading things :(

fungusamongus Jul 22nd, 2005 07:09 AM

anyone wanna play rampart? :(

Skulhedface Jul 22nd, 2005 11:23 AM

Stereotype is right, I do indeed play Guilty Gear. In my opinion it's far too underrated, as it took about a month to find ANY stores around here that carried it.

I'm still in but I have to save my matches until Monday as I have to spend this weekend out of town and possibly might not have an internet connection until later Monday afternoon.

nothing4buddha Jul 27th, 2005 11:20 PM

so i'm assuming this thing is dead right?