I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anime worth watching? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5515)

soundtest Aug 25th, 2003 09:35 PM

Anime worth watching?

Anime (imo) is often such a mixed bag... I'm tired of having my feelings hurt. I've seen a lot of the most popular movies and prefer adult themes. By that I don't mean hentai, just nothing Wiffles approved (no offense ^_~). Any titles or series (of reasonable length, like no more than 20 episodes) you guys could recommend that are decent would not only be supercool but would also make my day

a-ok.

:bow

CaptainBubba Aug 25th, 2003 09:42 PM

All the best ones are short series or movies. I reccomend these ones especially, though they're all well known and you've probably seen them. :(

1.FLCL (Furri Kurri, or Fooly Cooly)
2.Blue Submarine No.6
3.Akira
4.Grave of the Fireflies
5.Rorouni Kenshin (This is more than 20 episodes)

soundtest Aug 25th, 2003 09:55 PM

Actually Akira is the only one of those I've seen. I now have direction. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Rongi Aug 25th, 2003 09:56 PM

BERSERK

Psycho Squid Aug 25th, 2003 10:30 PM

For movies, you can't go wrong with any of Hayao Miyazaki's films, especiallly Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

For series, you can try the "cowboy" animes:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Trigun
- Outlaw Star
All of those series are 26 episodes long each. Those are the only ones I can think of right now. :/

mew barios Aug 25th, 2003 10:41 PM

hellsing :O

Timebomb Aug 25th, 2003 11:06 PM

"Ninja Scroll" is worth a watch. But if you ever see a "Ranma 1/2" video, I highly advocate not watching it. Other then that I would have to go the the previously mentioned videos.

Comrade Rocket Aug 25th, 2003 11:23 PM

i got addicted to Neon Genesis Evangelion

Luchatein Aug 25th, 2003 11:41 PM

Serial Experiments: Lain is a great drama anime. Not alot of action, just alot of crazy stuff that'll make you think...

Rongi Aug 25th, 2003 11:48 PM

Lain is boring

But definatly go with Trigun and Hellsing. I wasn't a big fan of Outlaw Star, but everyone else loves it, so :(

Ninjavenom Aug 26th, 2003 05:53 AM

I thought Kenshin was pretty boring, up until that kid with no emotions showed up. :-\

A lot of people refer to blood as gore, but if you want some nice gut-spills and head rips, see if you can obtain a copy of the 3-part Genocyber OVA series. It's definitely worth watching. All the other stuff mentioned here is good too, especially the Miyazaki flicks. Incredible art and storytelling, and Mononoke had animation smooth enough to rival Akira's.

Dixie Aug 26th, 2003 10:06 AM

Ah! My Goddess
Reign
Ranma 1/2
Record of Lodoss Wars
El Hazard
and i liked Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Royal Tenenbaum Aug 26th, 2003 11:34 AM

Just see every Miyazaki films. They are all great but my favs are Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and My Neighbor Totoro.

Mockery Aug 26th, 2003 11:44 AM

"Ninja Scroll" is probably my favorite anime. Also saw "Spirited Away" recently and it was also quite impressive.

Protoclown Aug 26th, 2003 12:26 PM

My favorite anime series EVER is "The Vision of Escaflowne". You can't go wrong with that one. And IGNORE that crappy shit that was on Fox a couple years ago, they butchered it to hell.

Some of my other favorites include:

Cowboy Bebop
El Hazard
The Irresponsible Captain Tyler
Trigun
Bakuretsu Hunter (Sorceror Hunter)

As for movies, most of the ones mentioned here are excellent. Although I always thought that Blue Submarine No. 6 looked like crap.

KILLADEUCE Aug 26th, 2003 12:56 PM

Cowboy Bebop
First of the North Star
NEon Genesis Evangelion

I am surprised no one Mentioned Ghost in a Shell, I still think of it as one of my favorites of all times-

Motoki Kusanagi----> = :love

CaptainBubba Aug 26th, 2003 03:21 PM

Blue Submarine No.6 looked pretty good to me. Plus the story was good and I liked the music. Its nothing truly amazing but I enjoyed watching it alot.

Rongi Aug 26th, 2003 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
I thought Kenshin was pretty boring, up until that kid with no emotions showed up. :-\

Even then Kenshin still sucked

Maybe Trigun is a rip off of Kenshin, I don't know or give a shit. All I Know is that Trigun is way better.

Les Waste Aug 26th, 2003 06:18 PM

DRAGON BALL Z

Professor Cool Aug 26th, 2003 06:41 PM

Trigun is pretty good. So is Bebop. Also, I have taken a liking to Excel Saga.

the_dudefather Aug 27th, 2003 11:10 AM

arg

in my opinion:

-ghost in the shell
-ghost in the shell series (stand alone complex)
-ninja scroll
-devilman (i lovvve it)
-gunsmith cats (very funny)
-vampire hunter D

Rongi Aug 27th, 2003 11:19 AM

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was terrible. The action scenes where too flashy and shitty looking. I never saw the first one though.

Esuohlim Aug 27th, 2003 11:23 AM

POEKMON :lol

KILLADEUCE Aug 27th, 2003 11:26 AM

Gunsmith Cats are actually pretty good too.. And FINE!! Something about those anime chick's that got me taking cold showers

CaptainBubba Aug 27th, 2003 11:54 AM

SAILOR MOON