I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics 'n Books (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WHAT are you reading right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594)

teh_mastar! Feb 20th, 2004 04:21 PM

WC Fields by James Curtis

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

kellychaos Feb 28th, 2004 04:29 PM

On Fire by Larry Brown

PILLOWFIGHT Feb 29th, 2004 06:51 PM

PRIDE AND PREJUSDICE BY JANE AUSTIN I HAVE TO READ IT FOR SCHOOL BUT IM NOT ACTUALLY READING IT IM JUST WATCHING THE MOVIE!!! :(

Sethomas Mar 3rd, 2004 08:19 AM

I was reading Jurassic Park in Spanish, but I left it on a train in Vienna. Sometime I think I'll start on a French copy of Faust I bought.

kellychaos Mar 9th, 2004 04:29 PM

Jazz by Toni Morrison

Quote:

Jazz is the story of a triangle of passion, jealousy, murder and redemption, of sex and spirituality, of slavery and liberation, of country and city, of being male and female, African American, and above all of being human. Like the music of its title, it is a dazzlingly lyric play on elemental themes, as soaring and daring as a Charlie Parker solo, as heartbreakingly powerful as the blues." (Back Cover)

sadie Mar 11th, 2004 05:33 PM

bad pillowfight! reading is fun!

i'm reading jack kerouac's dharma bums again. yum.

Perndog Mar 11th, 2004 11:54 PM

Machiavelli's The Prince and The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce.

Big McLargehuge Mar 12th, 2004 12:36 PM

I read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka last night

Emu Mar 12th, 2004 10:48 PM

Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Idiot

ArrowX Mar 13th, 2004 01:12 AM

finishing my collection of Resident Evil books for abot the millionth time

Zhukov Mar 13th, 2004 09:06 AM

Why don't you read 'The Revolution Betrayed', Arrow X?

ArrowX Mar 15th, 2004 11:19 PM

HURHAUR?

Whats that?

Zhukov Mar 16th, 2004 09:31 AM

Oh, sure. Change your Trotsky avatar so that I make no sense why don't you?

I'm reading Histories by Herodotus. Again. For school.

ArrowX Mar 16th, 2004 05:57 PM

lol sorry

kellychaos Apr 3rd, 2004 04:18 PM

Walkin' the Dog by Walter Mosley.

Link to a pretty lucid and concise review of the book:

LINKY

Ooner Apr 3rd, 2004 10:52 PM

Just finished:

Stiff - Mary Roach

Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan

The Fuck-up - Arthur Nersesian

And just starting:

1984 - George Orwell

Geography Club - Brett Hartinger

(yes I read young adult gay coming of age books >:)

Dork Apr 3rd, 2004 11:40 PM

I read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis a few days ago. Weird book, to say the least.
I also read Ishmael and Story of B by Daniel Quinn. Good philisophy books, though most won't agree with the radical ideas covered in them. If you're looking for something different, pick them up.
I'm also waiting for Feast for Crows, by George R.R. Martin. I've been waiting since January (when I finished Storm of Swords) for it. And I have to wait till August!! >: Well, patience is a virtue.
Whoever said that can sit on it and spin.

Big McLargehuge Apr 6th, 2004 04:02 AM

I am re-reading The Martian Chronicles and i am kinda reading Dharma Bums by Kerouac.

kahljorn Apr 11th, 2004 04:42 AM

Just finished Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson, currently working on Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense and Drunvalo Melchizedek's The Ancient secret of the flower of life...

Not sure what i'm going to read next, I kind of have it tied up into finishing off the rest of my tim leary stuff, or doing my John Lilly Book... there's also the Calos Cantenda I wanted to work on and I also have some shit on freemasonry as well... I'll do Israel Regardie and Max Heindel next, though, because I've been wanting to read their books for a while.

Beef Apr 11th, 2004 05:32 AM

The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy and rereading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Spasmolytic Apr 21st, 2004 11:19 PM

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

It's fantastic, it's just as goood (if not better) than the movie, and I'm going to read 2010 when I finish =)

Brandon Apr 23rd, 2004 09:37 PM

Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward

huond Apr 23rd, 2004 09:53 PM

Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, as Told By Its Stars, Writers and Guests by James A. Miller (Author), Tom Shales :(

Gurlugon Apr 23rd, 2004 10:16 PM

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.

Virne May 2nd, 2004 12:56 PM

Been reading for a while Terry Pratchett's books. Last week it was "Guards! Guards!", this week it is "Light Fantastic."

He sure has a sharp touch to humour. :D

Brandon May 21st, 2004 09:38 PM

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

huond May 21st, 2004 09:48 PM

Mike Nelson's Mind Over Matters

this book is making me lol a lot :(

ProfessorCool May 21st, 2004 10:15 PM

That's a fucking great book :)

Big McLargehuge May 24th, 2004 02:36 AM

"From the Dust Returned" by Ray Bradbury and "Radio Free Albumuth" by Philip k. Dick, andi am trying to get a copy of "Breakfast of Champions" but my local library doesn't have it :(

kellychaos May 24th, 2004 04:27 PM

Have you tried asking the librarian if he/she can get the book from one of the other libraries in the county? From what I understand, most library systems are equipped to do that these days. In my county, it usually only takes a couple of days to get whateve book I request if they have it.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 04:55 PM

I am about to finish A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole. Its too bad he only wrote 2 books, this was really good and I heard his other isn't that great :(

LacrimansTaurne Jun 19th, 2004 06:32 PM

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 06:46 PM

i went to a david sedaris reading a couple days ago :( i didn't buy his book though

glowbelly Jun 19th, 2004 07:15 PM

you should have. it's damn funny.

i'm STILL reading mason and dixon by pynchon. i doubt i'll ever finish that one.

huond Jun 19th, 2004 07:27 PM

i will wait till i can get it cheap, i still need to read a bunch of his other books. I would have been waiting for like 3 hours to get it signed. :/

kellychaos Jun 21st, 2004 03:11 PM

JARHEAD: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War
and Other Battles
by Anthony Swofford

The following review is fairly accurate and pasted here mostly because I'm too lazy to write one myself:

Quote:

"In Jarhead, Anthony Swofford has written a powerful and riveting memoir of his life, particularly his involvement as a Marine during the first Persian Gulf war. He recounts his experiences in the Marine culture, the blood lust, the alternating boredom and terror, and the absurd moments including wearing camouflage uniforms because their desert ones hadn't arrived yet. He watched the burning wells rain oil on the desert and the desecration of Iraqi corpses. At the same time he became aware that becoming a man involved more than becoming a soldier. The New York Times says, "By turns profane and lyrical, swaggering and ruminative, Jarhead -- referring to the marines' 'high-and-tight' haircuts, which make their heads look like jars -- is not only the most powerful memoir to emerge thus far from the last gulf war, but also a searing contribution to the literature of combat."

the[Hitman] Jun 28th, 2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huond
i will wait till i can get it cheap, i still need to read a bunch of his other books. I would have been waiting for like 3 hours to get it signed. :/

people actually go and get books signed still....

no new writers are worth the effort in my opinion but im an oldschool sci-fi/post apoc person.

im reading Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein, The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

GADZOOKS Jun 28th, 2004 06:00 PM

You should read more fiction, like for you, Planned Pregnancy.

the[Hitman] Jun 28th, 2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GADZOOKS
You should read more fiction, like for you, Planned Pregnancy.

i haven't decided if i want to sink to your level yet cutie.

GADZOOKS Jun 28th, 2004 06:22 PM

Are you talking to me???

kellychaos Jun 29th, 2004 02:51 PM

RESPECT! >:

Big McLargehuge Jun 29th, 2004 04:19 PM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas it makes me wanna do drugs :(

Emu Jun 29th, 2004 05:09 PM

I'M READING THIS THREAD :lol :lol

the[Hitman] Jun 29th, 2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas it makes me wanna do drugs :(

that book was absolutely terrible.

summed up "look at me, im a book about drug use who is over sensationalized by media and retarded teenages alike".

Big McLargehuge Jun 30th, 2004 02:08 AM

I like it, sensationalism aside.

and it is not my usual cup of tea, i tend to lean towards good science fiction (ie Bradbury, Sturgeon, Dick) and "literature".

Big McLargehuge Jul 1st, 2004 08:02 PM

look at that fag ^ :lol

stong bah Jul 1st, 2004 09:34 PM

Right now I'm reading Around the World in 80 Days (yeah shut up).

Anonymous Jul 1st, 2004 10:12 PM

Incest Weekly

kellychaos Jul 3rd, 2004 10:47 AM

You on the cover?

the[Hitman] Jul 3rd, 2004 04:24 PM

he's under the cover silly.

Anonymous Jul 5th, 2004 04:44 PM

Unfortunately no. They felt the lesbian mother/daughter picture would make a better cover. My sister and I are on the 2nd page though. :)

Esuohlim Jul 5th, 2004 07:56 PM

"Kick Me" by Paul Feig

It rules. I recommend it. >:

Sethomas Jul 7th, 2004 08:29 AM

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Greene (Like Spinster), and Elementary Biblical Hebrew. Whichever suits my mood.

Anonymous Jul 22nd, 2004 02:29 AM

Chick Tracts by Jack Chick :lol

Sethomas Jul 22nd, 2004 03:53 PM

Did you decide to start reading those tracts because your IQ of 70 was just too high for you to live with and you sought means of lowering it further?

Anonymous Jul 22nd, 2004 04:05 PM

Did you decide to respond to my posts because you can't stand the fact that I hurt your feelings earlier? :)

You're going to hell anyway, Catholic boy! :lol

Esuohlim Jul 22nd, 2004 04:31 PM

Your new phase of putting the :) emoticon in each of your posts reminds me of Kellychaos. Do you really want to remind people of Kellychaos, Mad Max?

Anonymous Jul 22nd, 2004 04:34 PM

Yikes! :lol

Esuohlim Jul 22nd, 2004 04:45 PM

Actually, if your goal is to piss people off, acting like Kellychaos is the way to go.

Sethomas Jul 22nd, 2004 04:45 PM

How exactly did Mad Max hurt my feelings? Did he stand me up on our date to the middle school dance, or what?

Anonymous Jul 22nd, 2004 04:52 PM

Actually it was the prom, and I regret nothing! :lol

Spectre X Jul 23rd, 2004 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max
Actually it was the prom, and I regret nothing! :lol

The prom and school dance are exactly the same thing.

You fucking cunt.

Anonymous Jul 23rd, 2004 03:03 PM

He said Middle school dance fidget shit. The Prom is high school fucktard. What difference does it make to you anyway, you'll never attend either one. :lol

Matt Harty Jul 23rd, 2004 06:13 PM

From The Corner Of His Eye
by Dean Koontz

Spectre X Jul 24th, 2004 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max
He said Middle school dance fidget shit. The Prom is high school fucktard. What difference does it make to you anyway, you'll never attend either one. :lol

True. We don't have that striving-for-popularity shit here in the Netherlands.

da blob Jul 24th, 2004 08:34 AM

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Second book almost finished. I can't believe I didn't read it earlier.

Pub Lover Jul 25th, 2004 12:44 AM

I just started reading that too. :eek

I've read a few of the books before, but not the first few. It really sorts some of the problems I had out. :x

Big McLargehuge Jul 25th, 2004 02:27 AM

I just finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, i am now on Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl.

Esuohlim Aug 6th, 2004 02:34 AM

I just bought the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide. The nice looking one with the golden-edged pages and it's own fabric bookmark. It was 14 bucks and I've never read any of the books before, so even if I don't like it was barely any money, and if I do like it then I've already got the whole series. :eek

Captain Goodtimes Aug 6th, 2004 04:01 AM

Gasping for Airtime : Two Years in the Trenches of Saturday Night Live
by Jay Mohr

Not as good as live from new york.

Sethomas Aug 8th, 2004 03:50 PM

Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Pyrrhonism.

OMG OMG OMG I SAID SEX.

Mr. Oysterhead Aug 9th, 2004 01:35 AM

The Dark Tower VI - Stephen King

kellychaos Aug 13th, 2004 12:05 PM

The Reluctant Metrosexual: Dispatches from an Almost Hip Life
By Peter Hyman

LINK

Dole Aug 14th, 2004 06:35 AM

Quote:

I just finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
read 'the investigation' by him, completely bizarre, and fantastic. Its a whodunnit , but not like any other...

Big McLargehuge Aug 17th, 2004 03:29 AM

i have a hard time finding his stuff wear i live right now, and i don't wanna order anything off amazon. But in a few days i will have the University of Arizona library at my disposal.

Todeswalzer Aug 17th, 2004 09:01 PM

Domes of Fire by David Eddings

kahljorn Aug 27th, 2004 05:49 PM

Almost finished with psychonaut, then I'm doooing... The secret doctrine of the Kabbalah, the key to hebraic sacred science by leonora leets. IT LOOKS TASTEFUL.

Hobo Renee Sep 11th, 2004 12:56 AM

How to be good- Nick Hornby. I'm only a chapter or so into it though, but I loved high fidelity.

I'm also reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko, almost done and didn't really like her writing style.

mubert Sep 11th, 2004 12:58 AM

Okay, I might as well reply to it now, even though that was a nice little bump there. I started and finished this fucked up book called "stuck in neutral" by some guy, and its about a kid who has cerebral palsy, and he thinks his dad is gonna kill him, cause he always has seizures. Its ok, but if it was long, I would have hated it, since the story drags on like my dogs ass on my floor.

the[Hitman] Sep 11th, 2004 10:22 AM

Books like that are terrible.
They make enough shitty tv shows/movies to cover for the "crippled kid abuse" stories.

mubert Sep 11th, 2004 03:41 PM

Man, I wonder why God hasn't smote you...Almost every comment that comes out of Hitman's mouth wouldn't pass a fucking Comedy Central Sensitivity test.

Idiotless Sep 14th, 2004 04:29 PM

Just read LA Confidential, now reading Monty Python- All of the Words. :)

EisigerBiskuit Sep 14th, 2004 05:54 PM

I'm (sort of) reading Pope John Paul VI Biography. I just realized today this was back in 1800's :X

the[Hitman] Sep 14th, 2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mubert
Man, I wonder why God hasn't smote you...Almost every comment that comes out of Hitman's mouth wouldn't pass a fucking Comedy Central Sensitivity test.

Quiet fatty, go eat some more pie.

MetalMilitia Sep 15th, 2004 04:54 PM

This thread :lol (wow that was the worst joke ever)

Im reading a book called 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown. Its about an uncrackable encryption code thingy and computers and stuff.
I was gonna read 'operation takedown' but apparently it sucks a bit and has more about kevin mitnicks relationship with his girlfriend than the actual hacking he did.

Big McLargehuge Sep 16th, 2004 03:43 AM

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson. I fucking love him :0

Dole Sep 16th, 2004 05:39 AM

The Kid Stays In The Picture - Robert Evans. Amazing.

kellychaos Sep 16th, 2004 05:04 PM

Digital Fortress was unrealistic, predictable, and boring ... especially in comparison to The DaVinci Code. I couldn't believe that the same person wrote it.

MetalMilitia Sep 16th, 2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellychaos
Digital Fortress was unrealistic, predictable, and boring ... especially in comparison to The DaVinci Code. I couldn't believe that the same person wrote it.

I wouldnt know, im only on about chapter 6. It seems ok thus far but nothing to keep me reading for hours at a time.

MetalMilitia Sep 25th, 2004 12:23 PM

Just finished digital fortress and i though it was brilliant. Not boring at all and mabey slightly unrealistic but nothing too stupid. I'l have to find a copy of the DaVinci code if its really alot better than Digital fortress.

Now im reading 'Hammer of the gods' a led zeppilin biography and i started 'Takedown' but the first 20ish pages have been pretty boring so i dont know if i will bother reading the rest.

Father §p@z Oct 1st, 2004 07:56 PM

Nemesis by Agatha Christie. Boring as hell, I'm going right back to Poirot's mysteries when I'm finished. >:

DamnthatDavid Oct 4th, 2004 01:02 PM

The Boat - Lothar-Gunther Buchheim.

It's ok. very vulgur.

Command Prompt Oct 15th, 2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson. I fucking love him :0

Your an asshole because thats what I'm reading now and I wanted to post it.

The funniest part so far is when he has an arguement with the monk over the answer to question "what is the sound of one hand clapping" and proves his point by slapping the monk in the head.

Now THAT'S enlightenment.

Big McLargehuge Oct 19th, 2004 01:36 AM

i finished it already jerk

ItalianStereotype Oct 19th, 2004 02:29 AM

I'm rereading The Confessions of Saint Augustine. :o

after that, I'm going to reread my entire collection of Gambit. :o

god damn sexy Cajun

jimmy_tango Oct 19th, 2004 03:08 PM

neil gaimans American Gods....after that I'm reading the dreaming comic series(just finished the sandman series so I'm excited!!)

DamnthatDavid Oct 22nd, 2004 03:25 AM

I just finished Reaperman again. Going to go obtain my copy of Good Omens from the friend I loaned it to, read that again.

nothing4buddha Nov 16th, 2004 02:34 PM

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris :O

LacrimansTaurne Nov 16th, 2004 08:26 PM

Just finished:
- America (The Book) - Very well done. Funny as hell and the text-book format is pretty cool.
- When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? - Some funny sections, but overall disappointing. Some recycled material too: I know I've heard the "A Douche Bag for Clara" skit before.

I'm now re-reading the entire Elric saga by Michael Moorcock. And whenever I'm done with that, I'll be reading the Corum saga.

Emu Nov 17th, 2004 11:35 AM

just finished "How Children Fail," which is a book written back in the 60's about how the flawed learning processes of schools ruin children. It's old, but a lot of it still applies today, and I liked it. :x