I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Shoes on or off? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69707016)

Zomboid Jul 13th, 2011 02:14 AM

Shoes on or off?

I don't know why I've never though to ask this here before. Do most Americans really wear their shoes indoors? If so, why? For me and literally everyone I know, it'd be very weird to walk around inside with your shoes on--unless you're running in and out, or something.

executioneer Jul 13th, 2011 02:21 AM

i don't! Most of the people I know take them off once they're indoors, too

WhiteRat Jul 13th, 2011 02:26 AM

By indoors do you mean at home? If so,nearly everyone I know takes their shoes off at home. I do have a few friends though that really don't care if you keep them on or not; most of those have shitty carpet and simply don't care (shitty renters).

Where did you get the assumption that most Americans leave them on?

Zomboid Jul 13th, 2011 02:56 AM

Yeah, I meant at home. I guess it's always just sort of been an assumption here that Americans did that. It happens all the time on TV, especially.

Esuohlim Jul 13th, 2011 03:00 AM

Hell no, shoes off

MattJack Jul 13th, 2011 03:02 AM

having a jap for a g/f, the shoes come off before I set foot inside. "It's like me pouring sand in your bowl of rice."

Tadao Jul 13th, 2011 03:13 AM

It's only rude if you take your shoes off in someone else's home when you hardly know them.

Grislygus Jul 13th, 2011 03:18 AM

I leave them on if I'm going somewhere, I guess?

LordSappington Jul 13th, 2011 03:26 AM

I take them off whenever I can. I walk around outside barefoot too, especially in Fall and Winter. I just don't like shoes.

ThrashO Jul 13th, 2011 03:37 AM

That's the wierdest question :\

I usually have my shoes off, if I plan on going for a run or going to the store I'll usually throw them on. I don't see a problem with wearing shoes inside unless you just stepped in fresh dog shit.

As for it being a politeness thing I can understand but I feel wierd going into someones house I don't really know and taking my shoes off. Sometimes I'll ask and if they say to take them off I'll say FUCK YOU

WhiteRat Jul 13th, 2011 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 731517)
Yeah, I meant at home. I guess it's always just sort of been an assumption here that Americans did that. It happens all the time on TV, especially.

You also never see anyone on tv go to the bathroom either. Well there was that one time on Everybody Loves Raymond when Brad Garrett's character took a shit on Ray's coffee table so I guess you could say that you don't see bathroom breaks often but that doesn't mean Americans don't poop or pee.

All Hail Duke Jul 13th, 2011 04:25 AM

i leave them on until i go to sleep, as i usually end up having to do something until then

Chojin Jul 13th, 2011 05:19 AM

shoes on all the time

Kitsa Jul 13th, 2011 07:50 AM

I never wear shoes when I don't have to.

MarioRPG Jul 13th, 2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 731517)
It happens all the time on TV, especially.

Yeah, thinking back that's really true.

Colonel Flagg Jul 13th, 2011 09:56 AM

Off.

Zomboid Jul 13th, 2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRat (Post 731528)
You also never see anyone on tv go to the bathroom either. Well there was that one time on Everybody Loves Raymond when Brad Garrett's character took a shit on Ray's coffee table so I guess you could say that you don't see bathroom breaks often but that doesn't mean Americans don't poop or pee.

But that's seeing them not do something, whereas when I was growing up, I'd always see shit like the Tim's bastard kids on Home Improvement always wearing their shoes even while laying on their beds. Needless to say, it was quite a confusing time. I googled it (and "Do Americans wear shoes indoors was like the third option that popped up after "do americans") and it seems like a lot of people claim to have foot problems, or something.

Quote:

Shoes on all the time
Really? Do you find it comfortable, or what?

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 13th, 2011 11:59 AM

It depends on if you have tile/hardwood floors or carpet. I think tim allens kids were always outside/inside/outside/inside though.

Flip flops are where its at.

Dixie Jul 13th, 2011 12:24 PM

i only wear shoes when i absolutely have to.
many people wear shoes alot to curb the spread of fungi and to hide their mutated feet.
i used to know a guy who wore shoes all the time, even when swimming because his big toe looked like a thumb without a toenail.

executioneer Jul 13th, 2011 01:09 PM

"do you want the shoes on, or off"
"off, please"
"TOO BAD" :sealab

Aaarg Jul 13th, 2011 01:27 PM

fuck shoes i never have them on in the house unless i am just getting in and haven't had a chance to remove them. i don't have those convenient shoes you can just slip off.

but basically unless i'm going somewhere all day or going to do some outdoor activity, i wear flip flops anyway.

my friend used to wear shoes all the fucking time, and it was weird. apparently his feet were baby soft.

that's bullshit. they're feet. they should be rough.

Dixie Jul 13th, 2011 01:43 PM

Pedegg and olive or coconut oil keep my feet soft and squeezable like charmin.
man feet can be rough and it's acceptable. if lady feet look like something you feed your fish it is not as acceptable.

Aaarg Jul 13th, 2011 01:50 PM

acceptable smacceptable, give me a gal who's not afraid to walk around in a creek barefoot!

Dixie Jul 13th, 2011 02:05 PM

DEAD BY DAWN! DEAD BY DAWN!

Aaarg Jul 13th, 2011 02:12 PM

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF WALKING AROUND BAREFOOT WILL NOT DO THAT TO YOUR FEET!!

King Hadas Jul 13th, 2011 02:13 PM

I go barefoot at home but always wear shoes at other people's places. Even if they said I could take them off I wouldn't. And if somebody took their shoes off where I lived, I would find that pretty presumptuous. 'Make yourself at home' is just a nicety fucker put your shoes back on.

WhiteRat Jul 13th, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 731574)
I go barefoot at home but always wear shoes at other people's places. Even if they said I could take them off I wouldn't. And if somebody took their shoes off where I lived, I would find that pretty presumptuous. 'Make yourself at home' is just a nicety fucker put your shoes back on.

To me taking my shoes off at somebodie's house isn't about "making yourself at home", it's the courteous thing to do so I don't look a dick walking around someone's white/light colored carpet with my shoes on. I always ask the first time i'm at someone's place.

King Hadas Jul 13th, 2011 02:30 PM

That's what doormats are for. I guess it's not a problem if you ask before hand though.

Aaarg Jul 13th, 2011 02:39 PM

doormats won't keep all the shit in your treads from dropping as you walk around the house.

yeah, i'm an "ask the first time" kind of person.

WhiteRat Jul 13th, 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaarg (Post 731579)
doormats won't keep all the shit in your treads from dropping as you walk around the house.

That and I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone outside of winter actually use a doormat for it's intended purpose.

ThrashO Jul 13th, 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaarg (Post 731573)
CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF WALKING AROUND BAREFOOT WILL NOT DO THAT TO YOUR FEET!!

YEAH BUT THAT PICTURE IS ACTUALLY HER HEAD. :eek

Dimnos Jul 13th, 2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hadas (Post 731574)

:picklehat

Chojin Jul 13th, 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zomboid (Post 731546)
Really? Do you find it comfortable, or what?

yeah, i like the way my shoes fit

then again i wear underarmor crosstrainers so ymmv

Zhukov Jul 14th, 2011 11:35 AM

I take my shoes off if it is comfortable to do so in my own home. This is usually the case.

I leave my shoes on when I visit other houses for some reason. I think my subconscious is telling me that comfort cannot possibly be polite as well.

Dimnos Jul 14th, 2011 12:28 PM

That and you are worried your feet might stink. I imagine its hot there in Tazland.

elx Jul 14th, 2011 12:38 PM

I always wear my shoes around my house, and rarely take them off at somebody elses'. Never take them off in public either. I only kick em off when I'm done for the day, and then I immediately put socks on.

Zhukov Jul 14th, 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 731695)
That and you are worried your feet might stink. I imagine its hot there in Tazland.

Good point, but that's from not changing my socks. It's fucking freezing here.

bubbles Jul 14th, 2011 01:45 PM

What if you dont have shoes on and a Die Hard scene comes out of no where. Broken glass in my feet I DONT THINK SO

k0k0 Jul 14th, 2011 03:08 PM

I pretty much walk barefoot everywhere unless it's more than 8 houses down the block. The bottoms of my feet are thick as shit though. I have a trick that I do where I hold a lit lighter up to the bottom of my feet for 10 seconds without being burned because they're so thick.

Mad Melvin Jul 14th, 2011 03:30 PM

Why would anyone wear outdoor shoes in their home is a mystery to me. It's just filthy.

elx Jul 14th, 2011 03:58 PM

I hate how people have very specific pet peeves regarding a certain type of cleanliness, but have no regard for the same standards applied elsewhere in their daily lives. like if you're going to be a germaphobe/clean freak then it's understandable, but otherwise it's just thoughtlessness. you have no business going on about how "gross" something is, when you inevitably do much worse things. i.e - "Ewww don't touch my water bottle, you didn't wash your hands!!" after petting a dog, but absolutely no problem handling money/opening doors all day long...

Mad Melvin Jul 14th, 2011 04:47 PM

If that was directed at me, I do not consider myself a clean freak at all. But walking indoors with dirty shoes is just unnecessary. You can easily take them off, so why make floors/rugs dirty?

WhiteRat Jul 14th, 2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elx (Post 731729)
I hate how people have very specific pet peeves regarding a certain type of cleanliness, but have no regard for the same standards applied elsewhere in their daily lives. like if you're going to be a germaphobe/clean freak then it's understandable, but otherwise it's just thoughtlessness. you have no business going on about how "gross" something is, when you inevitably do much worse things. i.e - "Ewww don't touch my water bottle, you didn't wash your hands!!" after petting a dog, but absolutely no problem handling money/opening doors all day long...

People have varying degrees of what they consider to be cleanliness. Things like opening doors and handling money are pretty much things you can't avoid or don't want to put forth the effort of pulling a What About Bob.

As far as the water bottle dog story i'd throw the bottle at whoeever said that to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Melvin (Post 731750)
If that was directed at me, I do not consider myself a clean freak at all. But walking indoors with dirty shoes is just unnecessary. You can easily take them off, so why make floors/rugs dirty?

Agreed. I'm renting an apt and my roommate constantly wears his shoes everywhere inside. The dirt adds up.

Mockery Jul 14th, 2011 06:43 PM

When I'm in my house, I hardly ever have my shoes on. I feel far more comfortable when I'm barefoot. When I'm at other people's homes, I only take my shoes off if they ask me to as it's usually something I don't think to do when I'm out.

Zomboid Jul 14th, 2011 07:26 PM

Yeah, but at someone else's home, you're not really "out" so much as "in someone's home," where it kinda makes sense to take off your shoes.

I really don't understand people like elx :(. Are your feet hideous, or something?

Chojin Jul 14th, 2011 07:51 PM

LACES OUT, DAN

WhiteRat Jul 14th, 2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chojin (Post 731792)
LACES OUT, DAN

creeposaurus Jul 14th, 2011 09:50 PM

Sandals, everywhere

10,000 Volt Ghost Jul 15th, 2011 09:39 AM

I tried walking around barefoot outside for the first time in years and immediately got glass stuck in my foot last week.
:innercitypressure

executioneer Jul 15th, 2011 10:21 AM

also :hepatitis