I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

OxBlood Aug 9th, 2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioRPG (Post 694465)
I wasn't impressed with the demo.

Me neither but I just bought it after watching the more favorable Gametrailers-Review.

So far itīs actually pretty fun.

Itīs some kind of mutated bastard-child of the two big Castlevania-Eras, Pre-Sotn and Post-Sotn. Thereīs no real leveling-by-killing for all characters but Jonathan for example gets stronger by hitting things with his sub-weapons, same for Shanoa. Charlotte improves by blocking projectiles, Soma does his usual soul-stuff, so he too must kill shit to get stronger, even though he is more reliant on loot, as is Alucard who must get his Dark Magic stuff and weapons from drops.

I like the challenge, even though I canīt kill old man Dracula solo yet...so no hard-mode with good loot for me.

The negative things about C-HD are the way some of the characters level (if you want quick results at least) and some of the item-restrictions.
You can only have one kind of healing-item with you and of that a maximum of three (high potions heal 60HP, most Chars have around 300 HP max, Super Potions heal the whole team to full but only one can be carried and they cost 5000 gold).

If one player dies on coop, he turns into a skeleton that can still walk and jump around but has a very weak attack. Should he die again, you lose 3 or 4 minutes of time (I think).
Reviving is done by opening a blue chest which always contain waters of life. You can carry it in addition to your other healing item but only one water can be carried at a time. Use it on the skeleton and presto, 100% health for your buddy.

Not really a negative point because it fits the overall challenge rather well but some people might not like it.
And itīs a coop-game first and foremost. Iīve only played it with one other person yet but itīs a lot more fun with other people than it is alone.

All in all I like it, even though itīs not what I first expected or wanted.

Fathom Zero Aug 9th, 2010 05:14 AM

Playing with six people is fucking chaos. Sam, Bill, and I were playing with dudes last night and it was nuts. Beat Dracula's ass, though. I'm just fucking blowing playing hard mode alone, though.

OxBlood Aug 9th, 2010 09:12 AM

I´d help you but I haven´t beaten Drac yet on normal :D

Fathom Zero Aug 9th, 2010 09:18 AM

His third form is a total bitch.

DougClayton4231 Aug 9th, 2010 09:53 AM

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Mortal Kombat 2, and Ninja Gaiden on the NES. It's one of those retro days lol.

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 9th, 2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 694625)
His third form is a total bitch.

Yeah it is. Mad fun though rolling through the level with 6 gangsters though. Playing as Johnathan and pretty much all of his damage comes through subweapons that take forever to level.

MarioRPG Aug 10th, 2010 10:56 AM

I started playing leisure suit larry 7, because I remembered my cousin had owned it ages ago.

DougClayton4231 Aug 10th, 2010 01:18 PM

I've never played any of the DOS LSL games. I heard I missed out on a lot. :(

darkvare Aug 10th, 2010 02:31 PM

mafia 2 demo is out if anybody is interested on all platforms pc using steam 360 and ps3

Phoenix Gamma Aug 10th, 2010 09:41 PM

Downloaded Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Man, that game is frustrating, and not in a good way. I prefer Castle Crashers to be honest. Moving is just really slow, and attacks never seem to connect as often as they should. Plus the enemies are just cheap. Good beat 'em ups like Turtles in Time were feasible solo, but this requires some grinding. Some parts of the game, like breaking down the doors in Lv 3, just couldn't be done as far as I could tell (unless I needed to level up or buy more stuff, but come on man.) None of the upgrades really feel meaningful, unlike Castle Crashers.

Oh, and lack of online co-op really sucks, but to make it worse, there's zero Drop-in or Drop-out function, so all four players need to be there, in the living room, from start to finish. They better patch this.

At least the soundtrack is awesome, and it's got cute nods here and there to games and the comics, but the charm doesn't make the game much fun on your own, so you need to get other people to play with you if you want to enjoy it.

Fathom Zero Aug 10th, 2010 09:54 PM

Anamanaguchi does the soundtrack. Of course, it's gonna be good! :)

Phoenix Gamma Aug 10th, 2010 10:06 PM

I really hope they release the soundtrack. They've been putting out bi-weekly singles of original songs and one of the tracks from the game was posted by O'Malley, but the song in level 3 is just stellar, and I'd like to give the whole thing a listen.

OxBlood Aug 11th, 2010 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma (Post 694790)
Downloaded Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Man, that game is frustrating, and not in a good way. I prefer Castle Crashers to be honest. Moving is just really slow, and attacks never seem to connect as often as they should. Plus the enemies are just cheap. Good beat 'em ups like Turtles in Time were feasible solo, but this requires some grinding. Some parts of the game, like breaking down the doors in Lv 3, just couldn't be done as far as I could tell (unless I needed to level up or buy more stuff, but come on man.) None of the upgrades really feel meaningful, unlike Castle Crashers.

Oh, and lack of online co-op really sucks, but to make it worse, there's zero Drop-in or Drop-out function, so all four players need to be there, in the living room, from start to finish. They better patch this.

At least the soundtrack is awesome, and it's got cute nods here and there to games and the comics, but the charm doesn't make the game much fun on your own, so you need to get other people to play with you if you want to enjoy it.

About the same complaints I have about it. I absolutely love the art and soundtrack but man, Scott has the reach of a 4-year-old and some enemies just make me want to burn them dead. Like those Aliens and Dinosaurs in the Movie-Level, god they suck. Clearly designed for 2+ players. And of course Iīd just say "Oi Phoenix, letīs just play coop!" but nooo I would have to fly to whereever he happens to live to do that. Couch-Coop only is not acceptable in 2010. Retro, yes but stupid. I canīt remember when someone came over to play that kind of Coop...oh wait, that mustīve been in the late 90s probably. Damn.

Still, I like it but itīs mainly the awesome looks that save it.

DougClayton4231 Aug 11th, 2010 07:41 AM

Tried out Kane and Lynch 2 last night and it's wonderful. If you like realistic shooting, you'll like K&L2. It's very intense and the camera effect is great.

darkvare Aug 11th, 2010 02:20 PM

i tried the demo and i understand your complaints i wonder if the xbla version will have online i doubt it though

Dimnos Aug 11th, 2010 02:40 PM

For games like that not to have online multiplayer is just dumb.

Phoenix Gamma Aug 11th, 2010 03:46 PM

I just think if they couldn't include online, at least let players drop-in. Like every other arcade and console beat 'em up since...ever. I tried to get someone to jump in cause the game starts off really frustrating (level 2 anyone?) I do plenty of local multiplayer, but not everyone has the time to sit down and just beat a game in one sitting (the game saves your progress, but you still need to go back to the title screen if someone joins or leaves.) OH! And a warning for people playing Co-Op! Characters' stats are saved, but the stats are tied to an account! So if someone's playing as a guest, their stats won't be saved!

At least the game gets less frustrating when you start buying stuff, but you're too poor to afford anything at the start, so to actually have a chance at beating level three without dying, I had to replay the first level (it was impossible for me to break the walls fast enough to outrun Todd's psychic attack). Then after I bought some stuff, turned out I was TOO strong and the whole game became easy! When you get to level 14, you can go full retard while holding an item and not worry about being hit. At least on Average Joe. I'm playing through again now with a new character on the next difficulty.

Oh, and the ending for Scott is...uh...wow. That's not how the book ended at all. Though I don't really like Ramona to be honest, so I kinda loved it. I'm curious to see what the others are.

DougClayton4231 Aug 11th, 2010 03:46 PM

Just beat Kane & Lynch 2. I can't believe how fast I blew through it with the AI. Loved every moment of it.

darkvare Aug 11th, 2010 05:48 PM

have you guys tried monday night combat is sort of a 3rd person dota

OxBlood Aug 12th, 2010 02:29 AM

Yeah, tried and bought it yesterday, I really like the gameshow-feel of it. It's a little dad that it doesnt have more content but still, a nice effort.

@Phoenix: I actually forgot that there were Stat-increasing items in the game...but yeah, after dying on Todd´s last phase I spent some time to buy all that stuff...Strenght 100 is really a little bit better than strenght 0 :D

I´m at the final (?) Boss now and I´m kind of sad that I know almost nothing about the comic, something I intend to change next week. Seems to be great stuff.

I imagine what my life would be like if it was 70% Videogame.

Boss: "Mr. Ox, you´re fired!"
Me: "I don´t think so, Boss! Let´s battle this out on top of THE PYRAMIDS! MAN-DEVIL! TRANSFORM!
Even as a little kid I was sure that with a last name like that, I´d become some kind of superhero/villain one day :D Of course it sounds a lot cooler in english...man-devil...how cheesy.

Phoenix Gamma Aug 13th, 2010 12:51 AM

Scott's ending is really different from the books, FYI. In that it's not a god awful melodramatic mess.

ALSO SOME BITCH IN GODVILLE IS DUELING MY HERO. I'M NOT GONNA STAND FOR THIS HORSESHIT. GO KILL HER, JOE HERO >:

OxBlood Aug 13th, 2010 04:38 AM

I ordered the Scott Pilgrim Books yesterday, I wanna see what all the fuzz is about :D In english of course, I couldn´t read that stuff in german...same with Watchmen, I don´t wanna imagine how much flair it lost by translating it...

I really like the Support Guy in MNC, just ended the match by first killing a Jackbot with my Airstrikes, keeping the enemy bots in check with my little turret, then juicing up and blasting the Moneyball to pieces in Overtime :)

DougClayton4231 Aug 13th, 2010 07:55 AM

The new Bioshock looks pretty sweet, I can't wait.

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 13th, 2010 12:04 PM

Has anyone gotten the 6 hidden items in Castlevania yet?

Fathom Zero Aug 13th, 2010 12:31 PM

I got the bell and that one fucking thing that flew across the screen in the... fifth, I think.

And you can get the bell by yourself.