I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2008 03:51 PM

If you can find an activity that truly relaxes you and lets you phase out for a few hours, you'll be set

I really don't know what non-art people do to relax that much, though :(

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 546232)
Now, what's the presentation gonna be about, how long is it, etc

[boring]OK well in a nutshell I have to talk about technologies for improving sintering behavior during processing. And it has to be 10-12 minutes long.

Since any sources I can find deal with very specific situations (doping zirconium oxide-based ceria with gallium blah blah blah) I'm just going to go over five or six very specific examples instead of doing a broad overview since sintering behavior all depends on the materials you're working with anyway.[/boring]

Now that I think about it I pretty much have a handle on the material, it's just stage fright I'm worried about. I haven't given a presentation since high school and that was on books that have been banned from libraries >:

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 546234)
If you can find an activity that truly relaxes you and lets you phase out for a few hours, you'll be set

If relaxation means completely taking your mind off of worries then I'm afraid I haven't found anything that works yet :( :( :(

I used to write a lot but I haven't had the desire to do such a thing in quite a while.

And Pub Lover might say that that's a good thing :rolleyes

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

Do you know any of the other students that well

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 04:03 PM

Are you kidding. We're engineering majors. We don't talk to other people :lol

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esuohlim (Post 546225)
PAGE 1457 SERIOUS HOMO DISCUSSION :(

PAGE 1458 TOO :(

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2008 04:15 PM

Well, the best advice I can give you is to practice giving the presentation many, many, many times in as casual a way as possible, helps you get a gameplan going and focusing on talking about it casually lets you become comfortable talking about it, and that's really the whole issue

As far as relaxing goes, I'd recommend bunch of coloring books.

I know how goddamn retarded that sounds, but just spending an hour listening to music that makes you feel good while doing art is one of the easiest things to do that can relax you. You personally won't care about the art, what you need is something mindless, fun, and completely inconsequential, so I'd recommend coloring books

Just don't let your dorm mates see you

MarioRPG Apr 7th, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 546247)
As far as relaxing goes, I'd recommend bunch of coloring books.

I know how goddamn retarded that sounds, but just spending an hour listening to music that makes you feel good while doing art is one of the easiest things to do that can relax you. You personally won't care about the art, what you need is something mindless, fun, and completely inconsequential, so I'd recommend coloring books

This actually sounds like an ingenious idea.

Sethomas Apr 7th, 2008 05:36 PM

Well, the actual best way to relax is to recline on Persian velvet cushions while separate teams of exotic women simultaneously feed you tropical fruit, fan you with peacock feathers, and creatively stimulate your noble organ.

At least, per my opinion that's the best way to relax.

Grislygus Apr 7th, 2008 05:56 PM

THis is after the whole vomitorium thing, right

I'm pretty sure that would un-relax you a little bit

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 7th, 2008 07:05 PM

I know this sounds bad but if I have to give a presentation amongst peers I start off with the polar bear joke.

"How much does a polar bear way? Enough to break the ice." Then just go right into your presentation.

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 07:08 PM

I DON'T GET IT

GREAT I AM MORE NERVOUS

Sam Apr 7th, 2008 07:16 PM

I am an expert on presentations and speeches!

Sethomas Apr 7th, 2008 07:18 PM

Well, the only other polar bear joke I can think of is the one where you put a black dot in the middle of a piece of paper and ask if anyone knows what it is.

When the flood of stupid remarks is through, you reply "a polar bear blinking in the middle of a blizzard".

I think that would be a far better polar bear joke to share at the beginning of an engineering class lecture.

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 7th, 2008 07:19 PM

A polar bear is enough to break the ice, which hopefully a few people will laugh, thereby breaking the ice and raising the interaction level of the room. Opposed to just giving them a bunch of information right away.

That or see if you can go over your speech with your professor beforehand.

Sam Apr 7th, 2008 07:20 PM

I know a polar bear joke and it ends with animal abuse and potty double-talk. :(

Sethomas Apr 7th, 2008 07:22 PM

What's the difference between a polar bear and an onion?

Pretty much anyone will cry when they mince and onion, but if you cry while mincing a live polar bear it means you're a faggot.

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 07:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiMR9Nwe-NY

A POLAR BEAR IS NOT ENOUGH TO BREAK THE ICE SO I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IS AN ACCURATE METHOD OF MEASURING A POLAR BEAR'S WEIGHT YOU SEE

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 07:26 PM

How do you keep a polar bear from charging?

Make it pay in cash.

I will use that one

Sethomas Apr 7th, 2008 07:27 PM

Yeah, in fact a large portion of the polar bear's natural biome includes ice masses in the artic circle that aren't even supported by the North American or Asiatic continental land masses.

I think his science is rather flawed.

executioneer Apr 7th, 2008 07:29 PM

what time is it when a polar bear sits on ur fence

TIME TO BUY A NEW FENCE

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethomas (Post 546299)
Well, the only other polar bear joke I can think of is the one where you put a black dot in the middle of a piece of paper and ask if anyone knows what it is.

When the flood of stupid remarks is through, you reply "a polar bear blinking in the middle of a blizzard".

I think that would be a far better polar bear joke to share at the beginning of an engineering class lecture.

I remember this from Calvin & Hobbes so I am most pleased.

I think I'll scrap my initial presentation idea and just go with polar bear jokes as they seem to be closer to if not within my comfort zone. :(

Chojin Apr 7th, 2008 07:32 PM

how do you stop a polar bar that's spinning on a clothesline

you can't :<

Esuohlim Apr 7th, 2008 07:33 PM

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS AN ATHEIST WITH A POLAR BEAR?

A BLIND BEAR

BECAUSE...

10,000 Volt Ghost Apr 7th, 2008 07:33 PM

Polar bear walks into a bar and asks for a___________________________________________ drink. Bartender says sure but why the big pause. Polar looks down and say I don't know, I've always had them.