I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 02:00 PM

Kitsa Sep 7th, 2009 02:06 PM

I'm so used to highly-caffeinated coffee that decaf just tasted weird.

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 02:08 PM

I'm a no sugar no cream straight black coffee drinker, so I taste what most people cover up. :(

Fathom Zero Sep 7th, 2009 02:44 PM

I don't drink coffee because its taste reminds me of every single awful thing I've ever ingested.

executioneer Sep 7th, 2009 03:04 PM

having caffeine every day seriously fucks with my ability to get anything useful done :( it's ok once in a while but only recreationally for me

captain516 Sep 7th, 2009 03:15 PM

I can't stand hot coffee. I only drink mine cold,with just a little bit of cream.

Aimless Sep 7th, 2009 03:15 PM

I"ve had 8 kidney stones, I have one on it's way out now... I never catch them and I don't have insurance so I'll probably have a few more after this one :/

Colonel Flagg Sep 7th, 2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 646398)
I'm so used to highly-caffeinated coffee that decaf just tasted weird.

I work for a company that routinely gives out free coffee - the roasted bean variety - from a number of very high-end coffee roasters. I have therefore developed a refined taste for coffee. Having said this, your comment comes as no surprise. Coffee without caffeine doesn't just taste weird; in my world, that stuff is just plain HORRID. :puke

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 646399)
I'm a no sugar no cream straight black coffee drinker, so I taste what most people cover up. :(

You are a man after my own heart. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathom Zero (Post 646406)
I don't drink coffee because its taste reminds me of every single awful thing I've ever ingested.

And here I was beginning to like you .... ;)

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 03:48 PM

Someone told me that what they do to a coffee bean to remove the caffeine is really disgusting, as in you wouldn't want the chemicals they use in your system. I forget what it was as he is also a nut job.

Kitsa Sep 7th, 2009 04:08 PM

I have a national geographic article about it but it's boxed up somewhere.

I remember the piles of caffeine that were removed as being some sort of awful wet gray powder.

Well, this was an isolated incident because I was craving the taste of coffee. I'm definitely not making a habit of drinking decaf. When I'm not pregnant, I find that the bold roast starbucks + excedrin works way better on my degenerating chunks of spine than any of the expensive painkiller scripts.

Otto Sep 7th, 2009 04:34 PM

I've seen that article! It's more like a horrifying waxy sludge.

Bought a holder for mosquito coils that's shaped like a pig at the Asian grocery today.

Chojin Sep 7th, 2009 04:43 PM

Coffee is nasty shit.

executioneer Sep 7th, 2009 04:47 PM

sometimes literally

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 05:09 PM

Have I posted this yet?

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 05:09 PM

One of these things is not like the other.

Wiffles Sep 7th, 2009 06:03 PM

its gotta be bottom left because it has the only invertebrate in it ^^

captain516 Sep 7th, 2009 06:31 PM

YIFF YIFF YIFF

The Leader Sep 7th, 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiffles (Post 646446)
its gotta be bottom left because it has the only invertebrate in it ^^

Bottom right, 'cause it's the only one without a human in it. :rolleyes:

Kitsa Sep 7th, 2009 06:39 PM

But the invertebrate is the only one to get a caress in the bargain.

Pub Lover Sep 7th, 2009 07:18 PM

I recently stopped drinking coffee, which I had black, unsweetened. I now fall asleep throughout the day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 646266)
I don't know. It was my best approximation of the sort of self-satisfied chuckle these people might muster.

I understand. Thank you for your reply.

Colonel Flagg Sep 7th, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 646422)
Someone told me that what they do to a coffee bean to remove the caffeine is really disgusting, as in you wouldn't want the chemicals they use in your system. I forget what it was as he is also a nut job.

Actually, there are two commonly used processes. One is the Swiss water process, which uses only a few mostly benign chemicals. You can usually only claim 97% caffeine-free coffee with this process (though I've seen claims above 99%, so I may be hedging a bit here), so this isn't for people with an intolerance to the substance. To "completely" decaffeinate coffee, methylene chloride or ethyl acetate are generally solvents of choice.

You may not have wanted to know this, but if you don't drink decaf, then you're pretty much OK. :\

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 646424)
I remember the piles of caffeine that were removed as being some sort of awful wet gray powder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 646430)
I've seen that article! It's more like a horrifying waxy sludge.

You're both right. But that's what caffeine looks like, in impure form, like it would right after the decaffeination process. In pure form, it's a white powder. I believe the caffeine obtained in this process is purified and resold to soda manufacturers like Coca Cola, Pepsi and RC. But that may just be a rumor. :)

Otto Sep 7th, 2009 09:11 PM

I swear I've seen that article that Kitsa talked about, but I can't remember what magazine it was. I think it was National Geographic because I read it in my shrink's office and it's one of the only magazines that he puts in the waiting room.

I think it did say that they sell it to soda companies after it's been purified.

Kitsa Sep 7th, 2009 09:15 PM

So basically I'm not doing my baby any favors by going decaf.

it is National Geographic. The cover has a cup of coffee with a heart drawn in the foam. I can't remember the date because, as I said, it's boxed up.

Colonel Flagg Sep 7th, 2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsa (Post 646490)
So basically I'm not doing my baby any favors by going decaf.

Yep. If you want to quit the caffeine, try seltzer. Or herbal tea. Or Postum(tm) :x

Tadao Sep 7th, 2009 09:20 PM

I think she just wanted to taste the bean.