I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Tadao Jan 26th, 2011 05:08 PM

It's so hard to play doom 1 and 2, I should get Return to Castle Wolfenstein someday. :lol

dextire Jan 27th, 2011 10:55 PM

Got both Record of Agarest War and Two Worlds II today. Currently in RPG heaven. :)

Guitar Woman Jan 28th, 2011 03:19 AM

Monday Night Combat!

Short version: Team Fortress 3 came out early, and it is really fucking good.

Long version. From the screenshots and preview videos I assumed it'd be nothing more than a less-inspired TF2 equivalent for console tards, who will never have the updated version of TF2 available, and I would have been reasonably satisfied with that, if a little copycat-wary. Instead, the developers basically took all the stuff that makes TF2 great, boiled it down to essentials, and built a completely different gameplay experience around those core concepts. Specifically, a bizarre hybrid of team deathmatch and tower defense. And it is awesome. It looks fucking great, too, the entire thing has a fantastic visual flow that I'm having a difficult time putting into words. Probably because I'm an impoverished Wii owner unused to fancy graffix, and because I decided the best way to experience this title for the first time was underwater-stoned.

I am told it bears similarities to something dubbed "Defense of the Ancients," but I wouldn't know, because that's an RTS thing, and I don't play RTSs. I mean, I have a penis and all.

My favorite classes to play are probably Support and Assassin, although I concede that Assassin is one of the easiest roles in the game to fill, partially due to how it can attack while still invisible (which is kinda necessary since you can see behind you and all), and partially because you can get instant kills on anything but Tanks if you spend your money right early on. A Gray Level 3 Assassin is the best thing for taking down Jackbots, no question. Not to mention that, with all the kills you rack up after maxing out your attack power, buying into maxouts for every other skill doesn't take very long. And that's not even getting into the abuse potential for her smokebomb-jump thing, which I have only begun to wrap my head around. I wouldn't mind a nerf for these guys, but I'm not really qualified to think about that since I know how less than half of the game works.

The only real problems I can see at this point are that every map basically looks the same, and the one thing they ripped off wholesale from TF2, every class having a distinct look and personality, falls kinda flat, because they don't talk as much and aren't incredibly endearing (except the announcer, who is a complete asshole and is hilarious). The silhouette thing works about as well as it does in TF2, you can basically always tell what you're up against just by taking a quick look around.

If you can run this game, at all, buy it immediately, because it is gooder than hell.

MarioRPG Jan 29th, 2011 05:12 PM

I remember seeing a trailer or something like that for the game back in like November. I def want to try that game out some time.

OxBlood Jan 30th, 2011 05:32 AM

Monday Night Combat? It´s really great. Very well designed for an XBL/etc title and definitely worth the money. In coop it´s a nice tower defense game and in Versus it´s really a bit like Team Fortress.

Phoenix Gamma Jan 30th, 2011 03:44 PM

Picked up Rhythm Heaven again last night while going through old games. Close to getting all Golds, but man, that game fucks with me. And not in a sexy way that involves my penis. It's more fun than a lot of rhythm games, but it's really fucking strict about timing. More so than other rhythm games. Lockstep really frustrates me because I can't seem to hit those offbeats :\

Also some scout in TF2 was harassing me on top of a building while I was a sniper. He leaped off the building to try and dodge my knife, and I accidentally switched to the rife and shot him unscoped, killing him. Felt fucking awesome. I need to get a new mic though because the one I use was found in a dumpster behind my university's art department building 4 years ago and it buzzes a lot. Someone complained last night and I felt bad :\

10,000 Volt Ghost Jan 31st, 2011 11:19 AM

I'm going to try out the GBA castlevania games I missed out on.

Guitar Woman Feb 1st, 2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

in Versus it´s really a bit like Team Fortress.
The game honestly reminds me a lot more of Team Fortress Classic than 2, and I can't decide whether that's good or bad. TFC is an awesome game that I like a lot, but it's also a horrible shitpile full of fucking wankers who never play it right. Here's what I mean, more or less.

In TFC, unlike in TF2, every class gets two types of grenades (except the Sniper, who only gets one): Frag grenades, your typical throw-do-damage bollocks, and a special grenade relating to what the class does. Demoman gets a big fuckoff bomb that splinters into like 6 smaller grenades after exploding, Spy gets gas grenades that cause the enemy to hallucinate and be unfit to chase him (in theory, anyway, in practice they were just mildly annoying/hilarious to drop at spawn doors), Pyro gets a fire grenade, Scout gets caltrops and concussion grenades to make him even more of an uncatchable little bastard, etc. They can carry up to four of both types, which is more than you'll ever need per life, but they can be refilled pretty easily. Now, in the game, there are only two classes that really bother to fight with bullets, and that's Sniper and Heavy Weapons Guy. Everyone else might as well throw their guns in the fucking river, since their grenades are one or two hit kills that you barely have to aim and are easily mastered, especially if you're of the basement dwelling persuasion. (In all honestly, though, the special grenades are pretty cool, and I could see the whole grenade system being mildly balanced if only a handful of classes got frags instead of 8 of them; the way it is now, everyone's basically a Demoman and sentries are a complete joke.)

Team Fortress Classic also contains the Combat Medic, who, unlike his nice and balanced German drinking buddy, is objectively the best class in the entire game. He's super fast, has a big fuckoff super nailgun, can fly around the map with his concussion grenades without taking damage, and has a hand-held medpak that is ostensibly for healing friendlies, but is only ever used for its secondary function of infecting enemies with a nigh incurable, contagious virus that you can only get rid of if you're healed by a friendly Medic (note: this will never, ever happen). Don't try going into the spawn for those medpack drops, either, since that will infect your entire team through I guess the fucking loudspeaker. Needless to say, Medics are complete fucking dicks, every team has at least 3, and I hate them.

Now, replace "Grenades" with "Skills" and "Medic" with "Assassin" and you've more or less got Monday Night Combat. The only thing I seem to be good at is farting around the Moneyball as Support upgrading RockIt turrets, poking my head out of the stronghold to farm cash from bots, and crying (unrelated aside: the Support's cowardly weeping every time he gets shot is fucking hilarious). Everything else gets me horribly murdered, if not by an Assassin, then by any class that's there, usually instantaneously. 80% of the time, guns are not a part of the equation from their end, the preferred methods of offing my stupid ass being grapple kills and spamming skills, a good most of which are inescapable death sentences when fully upgraded. Special mention goes to Assault's charge tackle, which sends you flying out of the arena at about 90 miles per hour and can be done from a decent distance away. Funny the first two times, monitor-fist infuriating from then on.

Assassins are a major problem for me; twice as fast as everyone else, can go twice as fast as that when using their dash skill, and can attack while invisible, so you will never see them until you are deceased. This is justified, in theory, by a faint drone emitted by their cloaking device, but go ahead and try to hear that in the middle of a firefight, or while doing anything at all other than standing stock still listening for Assassins. Fully upgraded ones don't even have to get behind you for a one-shot, they can just leap on your face and initiate wanton slaughter. They also share the TFC Medic's ability to freely leap around the map while simultaneously fucking up the HUDs of other players, which is a right pain in the dick. A favorite technique seems to be just jumping over their heads while blind and backstabbing them. Not to mention the lunge ability, which is activated by "reloading" the knife, recharges in a fraction of a second as to be massively spammable, does an absurd amount of damage, and shoots the player forward about 10 feet, again boosting the mobility of the runny fuckheads. I don't care for Tanks because they also kill the shit out of me, but they seem to be the best anti-assassin class due to their fire gun and inability to be one-shotted ever. I will either main them in the future or have one be my very best friend in every game.

tl;dr: MNC is good but I hate the fucking shit out of it. Also, would it have killed the porting team to have added a permanantly visible chat field, instead of making you hit U every time you want to see what anyone's typing? Or let us type while dead, or let us type more than half a twitter entry? Fuck, man, Marathon had better player chat than this.

kahljorn Feb 1st, 2011 10:34 PM

more meth?

OxBlood Feb 2nd, 2011 03:33 AM

*reads*...Chat? Oh, you´re playing it on the PC. Interesting, didn´t even know it was available for PC.

And if you play Medic/Support in any game, you earn at least my respect. We need every brave and supportive soul we can get so yeah, Kudos to you for that.

I don´t know if they changed the Assassins since last time I played but they were kinda visible while running so spotting them was not the problem most of the time and while playing Assault, I had little problems with them. Then again, that was in the beginning phase of the game, I suppose people are way better with the classes by now.

Oh and I just got Inazuma Eleven...I´m curious, is it true that the game didn´t come out in the U.S? I mean, yeah, Soccer is not as big in the States as it is in Europe but still, I always find it strange when games "skip" the US on their way from Japan...btw, I hate Soccer but RPG-Superpower-Jump-towards-the-stars-ultrashot-Soccer? Hell yes.

OxBlood Feb 2nd, 2011 04:45 PM

By the gods...this version of Inazuma Eleven is in german only...and...it...it has voice actors...and about the most embarassing intro-song of all time. This is so tremendously horrible...

I´m really at a loss of words here...listen to this. LISTEN TO THIS SHIT! It doesn´t matter if you don´t understand anything it´s still horrible...

...sorry about the quality, it was the only YT-Video of the intro I could find

darkkitten Feb 3rd, 2011 01:48 AM

Just finished Cod MW2...awesome...

10,000 Volt Ghost Feb 3rd, 2011 11:25 AM

castlevania HD. I hate how all the fucking DLC is like 300 pts each.

Supafly, I have the Fuma stage, are the other ones worth getting?

Fathom Zero Feb 3rd, 2011 11:34 AM

Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 and about to play Costume Quest. Been beasting it up with my friend on his copy of BLOPS, too.

Zhukov Feb 3rd, 2011 08:55 PM

GW WTF?

executioneer Feb 4th, 2011 03:20 PM

new vegas, new dlc "dead money"

it's pretty good! good atmosphere (even where the atmosphere is literally bad, aka the poison gas clouds that are everywhere lol)

also i haven't played it so i can't be sure but are they parodying/homaging dead space? monsters that come back to life if you don't dismember them, etc

Fathom Zero Feb 4th, 2011 04:38 PM

I didn't feel a Dead Space sort of thing. :\ The whole thing made me pretty sad, especially the story about the woman that can't speak.

Really really good stuff.

Guitar Woman Feb 4th, 2011 06:04 PM

So, do the guys at Blizzard realize that buying a game with money is supposed to be easier than pirating it? Because I don't think they do, which is why they are programming a rudimentary recursive failure into their installer.

Basically, it has to make minor changes to the files it installs, and when it can't, it deletes everything. I'm suspecting that the reason it can't change them is because they are in use by the installer. :oneofthosedays

I have been wrestling with this all goddamn day and feel like punching someone in the dick. I don't even like RTS games that much.

darkvare Feb 4th, 2011 08:57 PM

i have the same problem with this world of warcraft trial version i got for buying a game

NatRatBat Feb 4th, 2011 09:31 PM

Fallout New Vegas

and sadly... Rangnarok Online

Fathom Zero Feb 5th, 2011 02:37 AM

Cthulhu Saves the World!

darkvare Feb 5th, 2011 08:47 PM

finished dead space 2 some things annoyed me
1 the lack of cool bosses
2&3
Spoilers!

4 thosse zero gravity flying sections avoiding rubble

great game though

Guitar Woman Feb 5th, 2011 09:38 PM

League of Yigends: Renekton Edition

Also inquire about our Sivir: Shuriken Spam expansion

darkvare Feb 6th, 2011 12:08 AM

renekton is ok sivir can be annoying at times but easily killable

Phoenix Gamma Feb 6th, 2011 12:18 AM

The best part is that of the matches we played, only two other people broke 100 points. One of my better games as a spy.