I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming 'n Toys (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69697399)

Guitar Woman Aug 9th, 2012 02:21 PM

Escape from Butcher Bay. I was all expecting Thief with guns and shit, but really, this is just a shooter where you can turn the lights out and hide; sometimes there are boring shitty hub worlds full of lame sidequests to do when the game feels like it doesn't want to be played for a while, too. I do love the atmosphere in this game though, Butcher Bay looks and feels like a totally legit fucking hardass prison ought to.

Also playing Street Fighter 3 a shitload. I like Makoto, hate Ken and Akuma, and have a strict policy of disconnecting whenever someone decides to be a fucking ass and pick Yun. Also, for everyone talking up Chun Li as the best character in the game, I've never seen anyone using her even once online. I know it can't be an honor thing because the people who play this game are smug fucking sacks of shit. I've never seen players stuck so far up their own asses as the ones in this game. Example: http://www.gamespot.com/street-fight...nk-0-60474860/ A completely innocent question thread devolves into trolling and youtube comment style dick-waving in literally four posts just because one guy felt the conversation had a dire shortage of smacktards.

This must be something that just inevitably happens with fighting games, MK9 and Skullgirls had people like this too. In Skullgirls they'd make unranked rooms marked as "Practice" or "Beginner," i.e. the lowest difficulty settings, then immediately bust out 50-hit combos on the first poor newbie schlub who wandered in trying to find someone to train with; there are only about five people who still play this game because of shit like that. People with thousands of matches under their belts will hang out in noob lobbies in MK9 and spam challenges at people, or hold King of the Hill matches where they sit in the champ seat beating the shit out of everyone in turn. Thankfully, unlike Skullgirls, that game's matchmaking system wasn't designed by a retarded bonobo and actually lets you see their win/loss ratio before a fight starts, so you can tell them to get fucked if they come knocking.

The only possible reason to fight people who are thousands of matches worth of experience beneath you is being a complete fucking cunt; I don't see how you could gain anything from one-sided squash matches other than the ability to say "I was an enormous prick to someone today," so I guess that's what they're after. Basically people who play fighting games are Kefka, without the charm.

darkvare Aug 9th, 2012 06:21 PM

i always find your comments about fighting games pretty hilarious the reason people go to noob lobbies is to practice their new combos on a target that just dosen't sit there trying to find new set ups to do them is different circumstances

Guitar Woman Aug 9th, 2012 07:32 PM

That's why the AI exists and has varying levels of difficulty! Or, you could, you know, practice on people who are at your level, since they're who you're going to be employing these strategies against anyway. Using novice players trying to get into the game as essentially practice dummies is insulting, alienating, unnecessary, and, in fact, a pretty massive dick move. It's like using 5-year-olds as target practice; it's not gonna make you any better at tactical firearm combat, they can't even fight back. They're not mannequins, they're people trying to enjoy the game like you, but you don't give a shit because they're "just noobs" from where you're standing.

Maybe I'm not at the same HIGH LEVEL PRO LEVEL as you are, but when I want to try out new shit in Third Strike I wail on a training dummy until I've got the motions down, then get into a ranked match and start doing it for real, learn by trial and error. Sure, I'll get my ass kicked for a while, but that shit builds character and you'll sure as fuck know what not to do when it's over.

I think I'm probably doing something fundamentally wrong by playing to have fun though. This game is really fun and I don't really care whether I win or lose as long as my fights are close as shit; when either of us has an equal possibility of winning a fight, when we're both learning each other's strategies on the fly and adapting to circumvent them, that's what makes it exciting. Getting shut out by some tourney prick who's just looking for someone to practice his infinites on, or doing likewise to someone who downloaded the game an hour ago, that's just boring and frustrating to me.

OxBlood Aug 10th, 2012 03:41 AM

I´m bored out of my fucking mind right now. I hate the slow summers in gaming...played the Guild Wars 2 Stresstest yesterday which was good but only 4 hours long so, yeah, more waiting, next thing on my list would be Darksiders 2 next week...ah well, I´m gonna go hiking in the meantime I guess.

Guitar Woman Aug 14th, 2012 12:26 AM

Planescape Torment, it's really fucking good and it's refreshing to play a game with a little bit of imagination. There's so many different ways you can go about completing your shit it's like if Deus Ex was an isometric RPG.

Way better than Baldur's Gate 2. I don't think I even got out of the first dungeon of that game.

Dimnos Aug 14th, 2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 761028)
Planescape Torment, it's really fucking good and it's refreshing to play a game with a little bit of imagination. There's so many different ways you can go about completing your shit it's like if Deus Ex was an isometric RPG.

Way better than Baldur's Gate 2. I don't think I even got out of the first dungeon of that game.

:picklehat

Phoenix Gamma Aug 14th, 2012 03:40 AM

I've been playing Persona 4 Arena.

It's both the easiest and hardest fighting game I've ever played. All the specials are quarter circles (with one charge character), but there's so much fucking stuff to know. Like, every character has a sweep (crouch and A+B), a launcher (standing A+B), a dragon punch (B+D), a roll (A+C) a hop (crouch and A+C) a grab (C+D), two kinds of bursts (ACD), and that's not even counting shit like status effects (like, actual RPG statuses, like poison and paralyze and rage. I think there's like 8 of them).

Once you actually learn that shit it's really fun, but the barrier of entry is fucking weird. If you're good at combos and want a really strategic fighter, P4A is super intense, and the tournaments so far have been pretty insane.

OxBlood Aug 15th, 2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Woman (Post 761028)

Planescape Torment is hands down one of the best games ever created and that almost exclusively because of the writing. Sure, the gameplay is okay but nothing special. Itīs the world, the story that makes it such a timeless classic :)

Not classics but Iīve tried out Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 yesterday, both really really good. Iīm especially suprised by Sleeping Dogs. If you have ANY love for Hong Kong Action Cinema (think Hard Boiled, etc) in your heart, you will love this game. I plays good, the characters are nice, the game sets the right mood, Hong Kong feels great, even though the map is much smaller than your typical GTA.

Darksiders 2 on the other hand, while playing really really great seriously botches its own opening. Now I know youīre supposed to play the first one first (and I did) but the game almost seems to forget that it had a predecessor.
Itīs like "Yeah, thereīs War and he must prove his innocence but Death tries the same so letīs just follow him now, ok?" It just throws you in there, strands you on the first (and hopefully not only) world and letīs you figure the rest out yourself. Players that skipped the first Game will be very lost in the beginning.
It also doesnīt help that Death doesnīt narrate what heīs doing, I kinda imagined he would do that.
Still, itīs a VERY good game. Takes the strengths of the first one and build on them. The loot-system is satisfying, you have shops and even a Townportal, the levels are bigger, the controls are tighter, Death has more moves and way more weapons than War and apparently the game is also quite a bit longer than the first one.

Fathom Zero Aug 24th, 2012 05:31 PM

Dark Souls PC

I have a halberd. I'm back in the zone.

Dimnos Aug 24th, 2012 05:37 PM

Halberd? Pussy! Get in their face with a battle axe!

Zomboid Aug 24th, 2012 06:29 PM

I dunno. The chaos halberd that I had at the end of the game was ridiculously useful. I was running black knights through left and right.

Fuck, this makes me wanna play again. That game is really, really good.

Fathom Zero Aug 24th, 2012 11:46 PM

HALBERD HAS SO MUCH REACH. And the beginning upgrades give you so much damage. It runs just as if not more smoothly than the console version and with better textures with a patch some guy made in twenty minutes or so.

Dimnos Aug 25th, 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimnos (Post 761220)
Halberd? Pussy! Get in their face with a battle axe!

:posh

darkvare Aug 25th, 2012 11:33 AM

once i had a black knight sword thats all i used lol until i got the kings sword

Fathom Zero Aug 25th, 2012 01:06 PM

I also used the spider bitch's sword when the halberd wouldn't suffice, okay? So fuck off with that nonsense.

darkvare Aug 25th, 2012 04:14 PM

the only halberd i used was the crystal one until it broke

Fathom Zero Aug 25th, 2012 04:27 PM

Crystal shit is stupid. Why would you ever use that garbage?

OxBlood Aug 26th, 2012 05:13 AM

Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars 2.

King Hadas Aug 26th, 2012 03:28 PM

in Dark Souls I alternated between the sword, spear and bow depending on the situation. I don't remember what names they were.

Anyone else think the Bed of Chaos and Endless Discharge bosses were bullshit?

Fathom Zero Aug 26th, 2012 07:51 PM

Complete bullshit.

darkvare Aug 26th, 2012 11:10 PM

bed of chaos had me raging at falling in new holes every time i fought it the dragon god was easier although dissapointing considering he had god on his name

Fathom Zero Aug 27th, 2012 01:04 AM

Fucking invisible bullshit walk down to fight him, though. Crystal fucks. Goddamn it. I still remember that.

Zomboid Aug 28th, 2012 09:21 AM

I had the most trouble with that fucking moth before I summoned the witch to help me. Dragons weren't too bad, if I remember correctly.

Also, playing Darksiders 2.

Fathom Zero Aug 28th, 2012 09:25 AM

The other dragons besides Seeth the Scaleless were cake, as I recall. I just fought the Gaping Dragon to get entry into Blighttown and I wasn't even close to dying. I've also picked up every tail weapon so far. :O

King Hadas Aug 28th, 2012 06:46 PM

Gaping Maw looked cool but yeah, his attack patterns were really simple. I fucking hated that red bridge dragon. I wasted a lot of arrows and time trying to kill him before I realized he was healing himself and I wasn't doing enough damage to kill him.

Did you guys notice that if, after you died, you turned your system off while the game was loading, when you turned it back on you'd respawn next to your bloodstain (dying during bosses respawns you right before the boss). This saved me alot of time against Bed of Chaos.