I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DECISIONS (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69708763)

Colonel Flagg Aug 19th, 2012 09:57 PM

I was in your position roughly 30 years ago. My decision was to do nothing, live at home and be depressed. That lasted about 5 months, after which I got off my ass and took a job in retail to make some money and stop feeling sorry for myself. I took the GRE, applied to grad school, got accepted, and then spent 6+ years of all work and no pay to get my PhD. After that, it was fairly easy.

I don't really see how this would apply in your case, but it is real life. Really.

k0k0 Aug 19th, 2012 10:08 PM

Maybe there's still hope for me to get an education and get shit on track at 30 then. I'll be like whabam! EDUCATION! Then it'll be all, JOB JOB! and then I'll give the thumbs up to myself from 30 years ago.

Zomboid Aug 20th, 2012 02:08 AM

I just added up all of my loans and other debt, and I'm at 36k, which isn't the absolute worst ever, and I'm including 7k of line of credit in there, but it feels like I have quite a bit of digging to do to get out from under all of this.

Tadao Aug 20th, 2012 11:49 AM

Yeah, I'd work on the rig then.

Tadao Aug 24th, 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 761075)
My friend used to do the fishing thing in Alaska and pay off huge amounts of bills. You just can't drink. Booze costs 20 times more and will eat away your whole check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 761085)
i kind of want to do one of those winter ice fishing expeditions where you can die but you get paid a shitload, mostly so i can maybe almost die

tadao do you know how i can find one of these jobs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadao (Post 761093)
My buddy is coming to visit next friday. I'll ask him how he contacted the people. Meth is the drug of choice for Alaskan fishing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 761097)
sweet

So he said he went up there with a friend who knew the guy and that's how he got the job, but, he said most people email them and ask if they have any seasonal jobs available.

Here is their website.

http://smokedalaska.com/index.htm

kahljorn Aug 24th, 2012 03:12 PM

thanks

here's to maybe getting paid lots of money for maybe almost dying

Tadao Aug 24th, 2012 03:54 PM

Sometimes it's not on the boat. Sometimes it's waiting at the weigh station in a tent on the frozen shore to help unload fish. :(

Zomboid Aug 24th, 2012 06:10 PM

I hear they also have canneries. CANNERIES! Sometime in elementary school, I read a book about a Chinese guy losing his fingers in a cannery.

kahljorn Aug 24th, 2012 09:33 PM

holy shit that sounds exciting!!

kahljorn Aug 28th, 2012 05:34 PM

whats the best scientist field to major in if i want to be rich as shit

i was thinking of getting a geology degree cuz i guess you can get jobs easy as a geologist with just a bachelors

Tadao Aug 28th, 2012 06:01 PM

How many years into the future are you planning to start a job in getting rich? 4?

kahljorn Aug 28th, 2012 06:33 PM

i dunno

Tadao Aug 28th, 2012 06:36 PM

Well, I'd say an investment broker. You can invest other peoples money and there is no fault when they loose everything. In fact it's set up so that you make money when they lose and a ton of money when they win.

Tadao Aug 28th, 2012 07:00 PM

How about Rastafarian Aerobics. Even my fused spine can wiggle to the sounds of freedom mon.

Tadao Aug 28th, 2012 07:01 PM

Also you are never gonna call the fishing company. The funny thing is my buddy bought a case of smoked salmon from them and brought me a jar. Shit is gooooooooood.

kahljorn Aug 28th, 2012 07:37 PM

hell no i was hoping they just had a signup like RISKYOURLIFEMAKEASHITLOADOFMONEY not that id have to call people on the phone and shit

and also nobody really fishes for salmon in winter i guess the winter jobs are crabbing jobs
i found this one website that had information about winter jobs in alaska and the picture for it was a dude cleaning a pool and there was no snow or ice

also i said scientist not aerobic instructor >:

10,000 Volt Ghost Aug 28th, 2012 10:31 PM

What's the cheapest and easiest way to a doctorate?

Supafly345 Aug 31st, 2012 08:31 AM

You can get one here in a year or something http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Bible_University

Shrubfest Aug 31st, 2012 09:37 AM

I'm in pretty much the same position as Zomboid, (minus the oil rig) but refrained from asking you guys what to do as I figured the answer would be 'SEND ME TIT PICS'.

So this was almost helpful.

Tadao Aug 31st, 2012 11:55 AM

Dem titties are past their prime. You should work on the farm.

darkvare Aug 31st, 2012 12:29 PM

i like saggy titties

Esuohlim Sep 1st, 2012 01:21 PM

You all should follow in Chojin's footsteps, he lost 400 pounds and shaved his head and now he's back in school!

A regular toast of the town!

kahljorn Sep 1st, 2012 04:01 PM

yea but isnt he getting his degree in business or something?

i want a degree in something i can be proud of

Tadao Sep 1st, 2012 06:27 PM

He's getting a degree in taking care of business.