I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I-Mockery Chat (Lube up those lips) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799)

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 01:26 PM

A few days ago I observed that if an American upstart company began selling British-style tea, given American marketing habits they'd probably be most successful with a name like "Pompous English Twit" that would include a guy with bad teeth in a tuxedo on the box. It then clicked in that, for at least the naming convention, "Twinnings" has much the same effect for mental image and product association in the American mind.

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 01:30 PM

Auckland is a city in New Zealand. I learned this at a tender young age when there was an episode of Full House when some of the girls sneak through airport security to see what the inside of a plane looks like, and when it takes off they hear that it's going to "Oakland" and blow it off as a mild inconvenience. It turns out that it's actually going to Auckland! What a quandary!

I think that seeing a recreation of this episode made in a post-WTC attack world would be pretty cool.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 01:32 PM

I would like to hear as many filthy Aucklish stereotypes as possible. For research purposes, you understand

Pub, help me out here

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 01:46 PM

Also, Seth, I was wondering if you knew the name of that one 18th century romance novelist that always wrote about noblewomen weeping and bemoaning their fate out in forests until they just happen to meet up with and be 'comforted' by muscular goatherders

I always try to remember her name so I can tell everyone about how much I hate her guts, but then I go and forget her name

Her writing style consists of dull, single sentences spanning entire pages, and the only reason anyone remembers her is so that they can talk about a few female "great authors", if that helps

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 01:51 PM

Not to Gus, but:
http://www.answers.com/topic/come-fl...=entertainment

The way it talks about Danny "hooking up" with a woman and he can't stop talking about how "beautiful" she is gives me the mental image of malpropre* use of vulgar sexual allegory.

*I have to use this word because I don't know a good English translation for its original sense of "amiss", but I guess it's developed a different meaning in French since the 18th century that does have colorful equivalents in English.

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu (Post 548078)
Hug your dad once in a while.

Emu mistook the point of MM's thread for "things you'd tell Juttin's younger self".

Asila Apr 11th, 2008 02:03 PM

It's a little creepy just how seriously they're taking that episode explanation.

Pandajuice Apr 11th, 2008 02:05 PM

I agree with Seth that British food is fairly unremarkable unless you make it a point to look for the "delicacies" such as the aforementioned spotted dick, or haggis.

The only problem with the heart stopping British breakfast is that it comes with black pudding, which is analogous to pure sin in circular form.

While the Brits have achieved the pinnacle of candy bars (Hershey's chocolate is ass compared to the likes of Cadbury or Galaxy), their cracker and snack food selection leaves much to be desired. You'd be hard pressed to find a big bag of potato chips (that aren't split into 6 smaller bags) and it seems as if Nabisco has completely ignored the European market. It's very very sad when you can't just nip to the supermarket to pick up a box of Better Cheddars or Bugles.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:07 PM

I haven't eaten a candy bar in forever :( every time I feel tempted, I realize that I could use the money to buy a new pen instead

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548068)
I would like to hear as many filthy Aucklish stereotypes as possible. For research purposes, you understand

Pub, help me out here

Quite the reverse. Jafas are the clean metrosexuals that take the tax money from the pockets of the dirty & hard working kiwis.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:09 PM

DO you have any jafa jokes

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548086)
DO you have any jafa jokes

Yes.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:13 PM

Weeeeeell, let's hear em

RaNkeri Apr 11th, 2008 02:19 PM

Oh, and England has Garfunkel's, well atleast London has.

They have delicious BBQ meals. Especially the ribs, I loved 'em and the sauce was just awesome. :yum

Best and sofar only BBQ ribs I've gotten chance to eat

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:21 PM

Head over to Kansas or Texas sometime, you'll see what bbq sauce is, was, and always shall be

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548088)
Weeeeeell, let's hear em

You didn't ask if I had the inclination to post them.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:26 PM

Why not? None of us are aucklish, we're not even fellow New Zealish

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 02:28 PM

Gus, I really didn't take you for the type to quote from the rosary, but okay! (I've seen the same line in a biology academic journal so it's okay.)

Since I say the rosary in Latin, that prayer always throws me off because it uses similar verbiage as the Sign of the Cross but it has to use different grammar. "Sicut erat in principio, est nunc, et in secula seculorum" is a great line to use anywhere because the original phrase for "ever shall be" means, per my own understanding of the words, "in the age of all ages".

Esuohlim Apr 11th, 2008 02:29 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jafa+jokes

lol @ the second result

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 02:35 PM

Google's spider process frustrates me a great deal for a number of reasons, but probably not nearly as much as it frustrates my large audience of people who are pissed off that they were linked to my website while trying to find scholarly resources on medieval French calligraphy because of me selling things on craig's list.

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:35 PM

Seth, are you talking about when I (edit: attempted to, I can't say I'm well versed) used the rites of exorcism on Zeldasbiggestfan and WhiteRat freaked out because he thought it was an invocation of Satan? 'Cause I don't remember using using catholic latin phrases any more recently than that

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548098)
Why not? None of us are aucklish, we're not even fellow New Zealish

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A JAFA WITH A BEAR.

A BLIND BEAR. BECAUSE...

Sethomas Apr 11th, 2008 02:41 PM

you'll see what bbq sauce is, was, and always shall be

That's a fairly common literary allusion to the Glory Be, one of a few formulaic prayers that actually sticks to the memory because it's so short and is used in a repetitive cycle.

Next time I have to argue with a psychologist about why a particular categorization they throw at me isn't cogent, I'll just show them a medley of my contributions to the this thread made in the past four days and the futility should be apparent.

Pub Lover Apr 11th, 2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grislygus (Post 548094)
is, was, and always shall be

Jesus is in your head. AND YOU NEVER KNEW!

Grislygus Apr 11th, 2008 02:45 PM

I actually wanted to quote Light Years, but that's what popped up into my head instead

But thinking I'm a sophisticant (how the fuck do you spell that) works too